Discontinued The Grasshopper

herbivore21

I have definitely noticed different performance with different batteries in my hopper (some last much, much longer than others!) and this is consistent with the reddit guys conclusion that these batteries have not been tested and then binned according to their test results as most batteries are. This is not a battery used in other products which means that the batteries which were lower performers may not be up to par and would be difficult to sell if labelled and retailed as such.

This could be a decision taken to keep costs overall down.

IMHO, if this is the case, this is a very bad decision. Only the high/adequate quality batteries should be retailed at a cost that takes into account the expense of disposing of/recycling those batteries which do not make the cut. There is no sense in selling a ground-breaking product with inconsistent and in some cases, inadequate energy sources!

YaFreekin Right

are you sure? kind of depends on how soon they activate the PWM algorithm after start up ... full power for several seconds then start PWM to maintain the desire temp.

hey @Joel W. - how long did you see 5.6A?

The reason I'm pretty sure is there is no way those batteries can sustain >10A. It's likely that they always PWM for control even from the cold start. This way they can account for changes in voltage & starting temp of the heater.

I have definitely noticed different performance with different batteries in my hopper (some last much, much longer than others!) and this is consistent with the reddit guys conclusion that these batteries have not been tested and then binned according to their test results as most batteries are. This is not a battery used in other products which means that the batteries which were lower performers may not be up to par and would be difficult to sell if labelled and retailed as such.

IMHO, if this is the case, this is a very bad decision. Only the high/adequate quality batteries should be retailed at a cost that takes into account the expense of disposing of/recycling those batteries which do not make the cut. There is no sense in selling a ground-breaking product with inconsistent and in some cases, inadequate energy sources!

For $7 I'm happy enough with the variability. I'd rather get 3 batteries for $21 with variable performance than 1 battery for $21 with performance that matches the best of the 3 batteries mentioned previously.

If you care enough , you could buy a battery analyzer and bin them yourself.

herbivore21

The reason I'm pretty sure is there is no way those batteries can sustain >10A. It's likely that they always PWM for control even from the cold start. This way they can account for changes in voltage & starting temp of the heater.

For $7 I'm happy enough with the variability. I'd rather get 3 batteries for $21 with variable performance than 1 battery for $21 with performance that matches the best of the 3 batteries mentioned previously.

If you care enough , you could buy a battery analyzer and bin them yourself.
Your hypothetical is not necessarily accurate to the ratio of batteries that perform adequately in hoppers man, so I won't engage with those numbers (of course this is nothing against you man, we don't have broad scale data with which to determine an accurate figure so it isn't like you can be reasonably expected to provide more accurate comparison!).

When I buy a product, I want it to work. I want it to work reliably. I want it to work optimally. I don't wanna buy 3 batteries on the off chance that 1 or 2 will work optimally. You may have a different view, fair enough and this is nothing to get stuck debating - different folks have different needs. Stepping outside of our personal scenarios though:

I am sure there are folks who are bigger sticklers for this stuff here than I am - especially international customers who don't wanna pay the cost of 5-10 or more replacement batteries just to ship a single battery or similarly small number of them out from HL! Can we reasonably expect those people to have to take their chances on receiving enough good batteries in a given order, considering how much shipping can cost (many times the cost of a battery!)?

Broadly speaking and from HL's standpoint - surely they are haemorrhaging funds via the mountains of warranty claims atm. International warranty claims could be even more expensive especially if HL are paying for warranty shipping (and if they are not paying for this shipping, then they are likely to be getting a proportion of disgruntled customers instead!). Could they not improve each aspect of this scenario by eliminating incompetent batteries as a possible source of warranty claims? :2c:

I won't speak about this any further though because it is probably a bit de-raily lol. Nothing against your willingness to take the current crapshoot as it is - I did too! We just need to remember to acknowledge the above too ;)

MoltenTiger

I have a suspicion that the big battery charger/analyser HL got a while back was to sort their stock quality and make sure each GH unit got a higher quality battery. This would ensure every device has one quality cell. Pure speculation, but it would be worth their while.

Regardless, I'm happy only paying $7 a cell. That's a pretty sharp price, and of my 8 batteries I don't have one that performs terribly by comparison, a freshly charged cell is best for a freshly loaded hopper and it's faster to swap batteries than it is to load it.
If the cells were more expensive, I certainly wouldn't have so many.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Update for those interested:

SS Hopper is on its way back to me now. They replaced both the front end and the back end, same body but they filed down the threads to get rid of the sharp edge and get it back to normal (body had worked fine). We'll see how it goes yet again...

Oh and for any curious, when they replace your back end you do get a new serial number, but they automatically register it to your account so they can keep track of warranty service for each Hopper. Also assures warranty is not transferable which kinda sucks but se la vi

It's back in my hands, back end seems much much cooler and dial turns smoother, seems more even overall. Front end still not exactly flush, mostly it is, better than before, but slightly off. Eh whatever either way it seems to be working fine for now, low temp bubbler hits... Oh and they included another free battery to help offset the shipping charges as well

MoltenTiger

Low temp bubbler hits are soooooo tasty.
I just had a billy at temp 4. I normally start at 5, or 3.5 if lower, but I think 4 really suits the bud I have atm. Flavour profile is on point.
I combusted (by choice, traditional bic + bowl) last night for the first time in a while, the flavour is rancid and dirty glass is just awful. The difference in effect was pretty noticeable - more sedation and headaches after punching cones. Nasty, but nice overall. I suppose.

Vapour bongs are just so much better in so many different ways!

I've seen a few posts here and there about what the best glass piece to accompany a grasshopper is.
I've connected mine to a good range of glass now, so I thought I may as well share some insight.

I think the (most wildly available) style bong that would be the most satisfying to use with the hopper would be the traditional 'beaker'. (small, <12" tall)
hoss-y414-2.jpg

Most glass recommendations from the vapour universe seem to orient themselves towards a matrix side-car or similar
IMG_0047__64615.1453831171.1280.1280.jpg

Obviously as a recommended option, it is a pretty good one too.
I actually got one after, and because of, using one.
But, that matrix will chop more flavour than a simpler perc. The can size is surprisingly large and the style lends itself more kindly to desktop usage.
The simpler D020 is more flavourful by comparison. Less diffusion although more violent percolation (the cooling effect is more dominant than the flavour removal). The can volume is quite a bit smaller too, a much more portable option.

The grasshopper produces an impressive density of vapour that honestly works well with any bubbler design.
2i8izx4.jpg

That piece is a 44cm tall honeycomb to 6-arm tree.
The chamber size (60mm tube) is reasonably large, and although you can get quite decent clouds with the hopper connected (see pic) the amount of diffusion is too much and the size is too big. It works well enough but it is far from the most satisfying dynamic, too many terpenes are removed.
Comparatively it is a fairly lacklustre experience.

Recyclers are also possibly overkill with diffusion, however they're generally smaller size will limit the flavour reduction.

The other aspect to consider for flavour is the size of the mouthpiece. It seems smaller styles will yield better flavour, it may be due to the density as the fluid passes restriction or it could be a better application across taste receptors, or a mixture of both.

Below is my favourite piece to use thus far, that spawned this whole post (and my ultimate recommendation for an ergonomic 'beaker' design over the common matrix solution)
15p309g.jpg

It combines a small mouthpiece with the conical-beaker shape, in a small form-factor at 8" tall. It has a 3-hole diffy which is great for vapour.
A downside for functionality is the coloured glass, which makes it difficult to see clouds.
Other than that though, super tasty, super tolerable huge hits.
This thing offers the most realistic faux-bong-smoking experience I've had yet.

The banger-hanger in the background (above) is also unreal value at $25, though it uses such little water it has a very light drag and very minimal diffusion - which is fine, but isn't a big rip kinda feel (which I like). I prefer this piece to the D020 and matrix on alternating days.

In the interest of optimising the experience, different glass can either make or break the quality of the session. An unnecessary addition, perhaps, but 100% worth trying.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

I just had a billy at temp 4. I normally start at 5, or 3.5 if lower, but I think 4 really suits the bud I have atm. Flavour profile is on point.
I combusted (by choice, traditional bic + bowl) last night for the first time in a while, the flavour is rancid and dirty glass is just awful. The difference in effect was pretty noticeable - more sedation and headaches after punching cones. Nasty, but nice overall. I suppose.

I've seen a few posts here and there about what the best glass piece to accompany a grasshopper is.
I've connected mine to a good range of glass now, so I thought I may as well share some insight.

I think the (most wildly available) style bong that would be the most satisfying to use with the hopper would be the traditional 'beaker'. (small, <12" tall)
hoss-y414-2.jpg

Most glass recommendations from the vapour universe seem to orient themselves towards a matrix side-car or similar

But, that matrix will chop more flavour than a simpler perc. The can size is surprisingly large and the style lends itself more kindly to desktop usage.
The simpler D020 is more flavourful by comparison. Less diffusion although more violent percolation (the cooling effect is more dominant than the flavour removal). The can volume is quite a bit smaller too, a much more portable option.

The grasshopper produces an impressive density of vapour that honestly works well with any bubbler design.
2i8izx4.jpg

The chamber size (60mm tube) is reasonably large, and although you can get quite decent clouds with the hopper connected (see pic) the amount of diffusion is too much and the size is too big. It works well enough but it is far from the most satisfying dynamic, too many terpenes are removed.

Recyclers are also possibly overkill with diffusion, however their generally smaller size will limit the flavour reduction.

The other aspect to consider for flavour is the size of the mouthpiece. It seems smaller styles will yield better flavour, it may be due to the density as the fluid passes restriction or it could be a better application across taste receptors, or a mixture of both.

Below is my favourite piece to use thus far, that spawned this whole post (and my ultimate recommendation for an ergonomic 'beaker' design over the common matrix solution)
15p309g.jpg

It combines a small mouthpiece with the conical-beaker shape, in a small form-factor at 8" tall. It has a 3-hole diffy which is great for vapour.
A downside for functionality is the coloured glass, which makes it difficult to see clouds.

The banger-hanger in the background (above) is also unreal value at $25, though it uses such little water it has a very light drag and very minimal diffusion - which is fine, but isn't a big rip kinda feel (which I like). I prefer this piece to the D020 and matrix on alternating days.

In the interest of optimising the experience, different glass can either make or break the quality of the session. An unnecessary addition, perhaps, but 100% worth trying.
So, your favorite piece pictured in the last picture (with colored glass), what is it, how much, and where did you get it?

Do you use the silicone mouthpiece with each of these?

Thx!

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: vapen00b

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
Measuring the amp draw on the battery side shouldn't be a problem with a decent multimeter.
As this is steady DC.
An analog meter is useful in such situations as it 'absorbs' the fluctuations seen in a digital meter.
I use this for these types of measurements:
e19s7Ya.jpg

It has 2 studs on the back for easy wiring in the circuit. No need to fuss with probes and poor contact when dealing with current flow.

Getting an accurate reading on the leads going to the heater element would be the challenge as that is PWM.

5.6 amps on startup (level 5 heat) was the highest number seen.. It ran much less amps, once it was warm.
This sounds resonable, my Focus draws about the same peak amps.
Shouldn't see much difference in ramping of amps on any temp setting. Then you see the drop. That is where the PWM comes in modulating the pulse width to deliver the power to the element thats needed to maintain the selected temp. Viewing the PWM on an oscilloscope would show the differences at different temps and the variations while trying to maintain a selected temp.

@Joel W. : Could you take a voltage reading when it is drawing the 5.6 amps? The lowest voltage reading is needed. As that is when the most amps are being drawn.
Then we can multiply the two and get the peak wattage consumed by the unit. Which is essentially what the heater element comsumes as very little power should be used by the circutry in comparison.
e19s7Ya.jpg

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
@Joel W. : Could you take a voltage reading when it is drawing the 5.6 amps? The lowest voltage reading is needed. As that is when the most amps are being drawn.
Then we can multiply the two and get the peak wattage consumed by the unit. Which is essentially what the heater element comsumes as very little power should be used by the circutry in comparison.

Will do, I need to grab a battery for my other meter.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

hoss-y414-2.jpg

2i8izx4.jpg

Recyclers are also possibly overkill with diffusion, however their generally smaller size will limit the flavour reduction.

15p309g.jpg

Great post. Thank you very much for this. At this point, the piece I'm intending to get when my hopper arrives is the Magic Flight Orbiter. (If you're familiar with it, which of these that you describe above is the Orbiter most like?

Kalessin

Man...I'm getting irritated with the warranty process. It's taking forever. That itself I could deal with, but they've also told me things that ended up being incorrect several times now. August 15th I submitted the warranty request. On the 23rd in response to a question about how long to expect the replacement body to ship I was told it would most likely be shipped out the next day, which it wasn't. Waited a few weeks (or however long, not up to math now) then this Tuesday I emailed asking if there was any way to know when I'd see the part shipping, and was told it was packed up and would ship the next day. Which it didn't. It's really frustrating. I hate waiting, but if they would have told me another 2 weeks, or 3 weeks, or whatever I'd be way happier than being told to expect it to be on it's way to me tomorrow and never have it go out.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

Man...I'm getting irritated with the warranty process. It's taking forever. That itself I could deal with, but they've also told me things that ended up being incorrect several times now. August 15th I submitted the warranty request. On the 23rd in response to a question about how long to expect the replacement body to ship I was told it would most likely be shipped out the next day, which it wasn't. Waited a few weeks then this Tuesday I emailed asking if there was any way to know when I'd see the part shipping, and was told it was packed up and would ship the next day. Which it didn't. It's really frustrating. I hate waiting, but if they would have told me another 2 weeks, or 3 weeks, or whatever I'd be way happier than being told to expect it to be on it's way to me tomorrow and never have it go out.
Sorry to hear that. And so weird!

I needed a replacement body for my ss, and from submitting claim, to replacement piece in my hand was about 5 days. They must not have stock of your finish (?). Which gh finish do you have?

Have you tried emailing Caroline directly to get some attention? Your delays don't seem right, and I bet she can help.

MoltenTiger

So, your favorite piece pictured in the last picture (with colored glass), what is it, how much, and where did you get it?

Do you use the silicone mouthpiece with each of these?

Thx!
That piece is made by Trap Glass of Wisconsin (instagram)
I paid a reasonable amount [retail in Aus, equivalent of 6 D020's], I'm sure contacting him directly would change the price significantly.

I was contemplating searching DHgate for something similar, but it seemed like too big a challenge at the time.
I was procrastinating from my pre-lab for tomorrow, and have just discovered one of the listed objectives is "to learn the correct use of quickfit glassware" :lol:
I think I'm already pretty competent after a few thousand bowl replacements, I would imagine !

I do use the silicone mouthpieces to connect to glass. You can use hoppers directly, but it's pretty difficult to get a true air-tight seal, which I think is worthwhile.
I have used 3cm sections of silicone hose in place of the mouthpieces, but the mouthpieces are more convenient. Keeping them away from alcohol and cleaning them regularly by scraping oil residue away has them staying tolerable for quite a while.
I would like a better solution, I'm not a fan of silicone in the airpath, but it does actually work well.

@moondog As lovecrush so beautifully shared, I reckon the MFLB orbiter would be a great match for the hopper! Great size, good dynamic. Quite similar to the D020, but a better quality showerhead (and it is probably flame polished not only cut).
An awesome piece, with the potential for different mouthpieces etc.
I would expect it to be best used on a desktop, but it's pretty small and adaptable so travel would be simple.
I think having a decent basin of water is good for a satisfying and bubbling pull. How the orbiter flares out, compared to how my banger-hanger flares inwards, would make a better experience I would expect.

@Kalessin that is truly frustrating.
I just saw this on their instagram, post is a day old
  • grasshoppervape hey there, we are catching up on warranty requests and emails this week. The long weekend set us back a few days but we'll get to your request as soon as possible! Thanks for your patience!
  • fylde_coast_pies If I had a company that was sat on thousands of dollars worth of other people's money, I'd of been working this weekend to try and get as many shipped as I could. I originally ordered in March with an estimated shipping date of April, this forecast has changed every month apart from this one. At the moment my account still says it's going to be shipped in August! I seem to recall a couple of months ago, you stated that you had a backlog of about 5000 units and with additional staff you were going to get them shifted. This month, you've announced that your sending out confirmation emails to those who ordered in 2015! There is no way I'll receive my vaporiser this year. Your company and your monthly updates are full of shit and I would hazard a guess and say the reason none get sent out is because of the amount of returns you get back that you're dealing with. Is this how consumer law works in the States? It stinks! So does your company and the more I read about it, so does your product! I won't expect a reply to this as your all probably stoned as monkey's tooting on your Vapexhale Evo's.
  • grasshoppervape@fylde_coast_pies Hey There! Not stoned, just trying to catch up on emails and requests! Since we sent out so many address confirmations this batch, we are going through all of their replies with updating addresses, adding accessories, and upgrading shipping options. While we were in the office on Monday, we had a smaller crew on hand. In honor of Labor Day, we offered our techs the option to observe the federal holiday as a way of thanking them for their contributions and hard work. Sorry your account still says August. We’re working right now to get the website updated with new estimates for everyone. It does take awhile to get it posted as we try to make sure we’ve covered all the factors. We’ll have the new estimates for you guys this week! -HL
Might be relevant to your account I guess. Hopefully they sort it out this week. They should definitely stop telling people they'll post things out when they end up failing to. Doesn't reflect well at all.

Last edited:

Hawk

A lot of great info coming out. So according to what @Joel W. is seeing with the Amp draw makes more sense. 5.6A I can definitely see these batteries handling. But the reddit link, thanks @MoltenTiger, is worrisome. Never mind the fact that, if I am paying $7 a battery, I want them to have the capacity I am paying for. And $7US is not cheap for these batteries, I can buy 14500 batteries for $4CAD and 18650 for $10CAD. But if we have batteries with variable capacity then what other specs of the battery are they letting through as well?

If they are willing to go the route of getting there own custom sized battery and charging us a premium for them then they have to make sure of the quality and they are up to spec.

MoltenTiger

A lot of great info coming out. So according to what @Joel W. is seeing with the Amp draw makes more sense. 5.6A I can definitely see these batteries handling. But the reddit link, thanks @MoltenTiger, is worrisome. Never mind the fact that, if I am paying $7 a battery, I want them to have the capacity I am paying for. And $7US is not cheap for these batteries, I can buy 14500 batteries for $4CAD and 18650 for $10CAD. But if we have batteries with variable capacity then what other specs of the battery are they letting through as well?

If they are willing to go the route of getting there own custom sized battery and charging us a premium for them then they have to make sure of the quality and they are up to spec.
I don't think Mooch's findings were worrisome, more so they weren't shocking either way. They aren't somehow the best batteries available, and they aren't terrible. They are unique to the device, and they are safe. They are relatively unlikely to explode. That is my main concern seeing as I hold one daily.

The batteries have a charge cycle rating of 100-200, which is fairly low.
It's something to consider with the GH, but that's a big reason why I chose two of them over one Mighty.
When the Mighty is old and dead, the GH's will still be functional either with a new cell or some kind of power adapter like Joel's.
There is good chance of official OEM adapters like this, or even more advanced cell technology as the years progress.
Batteries as we know them today are absolutely a disposable technology.

$7 for a proprietary battery seems cheap to me, what do you think the production batch size is between the GHB1 and a $4 14500? I imagine there is much greater need across the world for a common size battery, and thus I would expect the price to reflect this.

Hawk

I don't think Mooch's findings were worrisome, more so they weren't shocking either way. They aren't somehow the best batteries available, and they aren't terrible. They are unique to the device, and they are safe. They are relatively unlikely to explode. That is my main concern seeing as I hold one daily.

The batteries have a charge cycle rating of 100-200, which is fairly low.
It's something to consider with the GH, but that's a big reason why I chose two of them over one Mighty.
When the Mighty is old and dead, the GH's will still be functional either with a new cell or some kind of power adapter like Joel's.
There is good chance of official OEM adapters like this, or even more advanced cell technology as the years progress.
Batteries as we know them today are absolutely a disposable technology.

$7 for a proprietary battery seems cheap to me, what do you think the production batch size is between the GHB1 and a $4 14500? I imagine there is much greater need across the world for a common size battery, and thus I would expect the price to reflect this.

I don't mind paying premium for a custom battery but then I want them up to spec. If they are 750mah then thats what it should be or pretty damn close. If I remember correctly in mooch's test he tested eight batteries and not one had 750mah, I think the closest was around 610mah and all eight varying and as low as 500mah. Also voltage drop was varied. Like he said they are probably not binning the batteries and we are getting the whole mixed bag.

This means that other specs of the battery could be off such as how much Amps it can handle. Back quite a few years ago with eFest batteries they were tested and found the discharge rate was way off. Some eFest 18650 batteries with specs 20A were found in the 10-15A range. For sub-ohm vapers that used mechanical mods this was a huge problem and could easily cause venting. Very dangerous.

Now me being worried about these batteries are not about them blowing up but the amount of a batteries I will need to buy every year. I'll end up spending more on batteries than the GH itself. Because if the capacity of the battery is much lower then the spec you will then be charging more often and running the the life cycle faster therefore constantly buying more batteries.

Also if the other specs other than the capacity are off then you will have batteries with poor performance and will notice it using the device. We have already had members with DOA batteries or very underperforming batteries. Add this to the unreliable GH itself and it doesn't look good.

Pjake

It's all in the reflexes.
That piece is made by Trap Glass of Wisconsin (instagram)
I paid a reasonable amount [retail in Aus, equivalent of 6 D020's], I'm sure contacting him directly would change the price significantly.

I was contemplating searching DHgate for something similar, but it seemed like too big a challenge at the time.
I was procrastinating from my pre-lab for tomorrow, and have just discovered one of the listed objectives is "to learn the correct use of quickfit glassware" :lol:
I think I'm already pretty competent after a few thousand bowl replacements, I would imagine !

I do use the silicone mouthpieces to connect to glass. You can use hoppers directly, but it's pretty difficult to get a true air-tight seal, which I think is worthwhile.
I have used 3cm sections of silicone hose in place of the mouthpieces, but the mouthpieces are more convenient. Keeping them away from alcohol and cleaning them regularly by scraping oil residue away has them staying tolerable for quite a while.
I would like a better solution, I'm not a fan of silicone in the airpath, but it does actually work well.

@moondog As lovecrush so beautifully shared, I reckon the MFLB orbiter would be a great match for the hopper! Great size, good dynamic. Quite similar to the D020, but a better quality showerhead (and it is probably flame polished not only cut).
An awesome piece, with the potential for different mouthpieces etc.
I would expect it to be best used on a desktop, but it's pretty small and adaptable so travel would be simple.
I think having a decent basin of water is good for a satisfying and bubbling pull. How the orbiter flares out, compared to how my banger-hanger flares inwards, would make a better experience I would expect.

@Kalessin that is truly frustrating.
I just saw this on their instagram, post is a day old

Might be relevant to your account I guess. Hopefully they sort it out this week. They should definitely stop telling people they'll post things out when they end up failing to. Doesn't reflect well at all.
I got my grasshopper Sept 2 of 2016 after ordering sept 1 of 2015. The more I use it the more I like it. Loving this thing through my d020 with just a pinch and getting 1 milky hit and 1 clear hit. Using the same amount as I do with my nano to get the same results but not being tethered is very nice. It's still a little warm without water for my taste but still, I'm impressed with the GH. That being said, worst buying experience of all time. The wait was no issue but the lack of transparency was painful. They told me it was coming in December. Then January. Then February and so on and so forth all the way till now. I'd be fine with a year wait. I just wish they whee a bit more accurate.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I got my grasshopper Sept 2 of 2016 after ordering sept 1 of 2015. The more I use it the more I like it. Loving this thing through my d020 with just a pinch and getting 1 milky hit and 1 clear hit. Using the same amount as I do with my nano to get the same results but not being tethered is very nice. It's still a little warm without water for my taste but still, I'm impressed with the GH. That being said, worst buying experience of all time. The wait was no issue but the lack of transparency was painful. They told me it was coming in December. Then January. Then February and so on and so forth all the way till now. I'd be fine with a year wait. I just wish they whee a bit more accurate.

It's been mentioned before, but I think the Wimpy-esque line of "pay me now for a hopper next month...next month...next month..." is an attempt at complying with paypal TOS, which gives sellers limited time to ship items after receiving payment? The bad side effect of this strategy would be it makes the company appear to be always delaying.

kimura

pardon the rant...

I've always felt that the decision to go with a proprietary battery was totally naive, misguided, and possibly stupid. they are beholden to their supplier at this point, probably at their mercy entirely due to the onslaught of warranty claims, which means GHL probably don't have the cash required to put down a deposit with a new supplier should they decide that they have shipped out enough bad cells and want to cut their losses. this trickles down to us of course, and now we are left with the choice of either sucking it up and continuing the cycle of paying $7 a pop to roll the dice on a new cell, or giving up on the GH. totally disagree with everyone saying $7 is an acceptable price for such a shoddy and unreliable cell. I don't care if it's unique and proprietary, that's the wrong price for cells of this quality. even my "good" cells are not good, and cannot reliably get through more than one load. 2 small loads MAX. not sure if it matters, but the variance in length between these cells is easily measured with cheap calipers. I think the device is potentially great, but the battery situation is pathetic, a major Achilles heel, and is starting to ruin the fun for me. it's a niche device to me right now

anyway, I would happily pay for another solution. maybe something like @Joel W. 's adapter, only with a single 18650 cell encased in the adapter itself. I don't care if it adds 3" to the overall length. I don't give 2 shits how "cool" a device is if I can't use it

YaFreekin Right

pardon the rant...

I've always felt that the decision to go with a proprietary battery was totally naive, misguided, and possibly stupid. they are beholden to their supplier at this point, probably at their mercy entirely due to the onslaught of warranty claims, which means GHL probably don't have the cash required to put down a deposit with a new supplier should they decide that they have shipped out enough bad cells and want to cut their losses. this trickles down to us of course, and now we are left with the choice of either sucking it up and continuing the cycle of paying $7 a pop to roll the dice on a new cell, or giving up on the GH. totally disagree with everyone saying $7 is an acceptable price for such a shoddy and unreliable cell. I don't care if it's unique and proprietary, that's the wrong price for cells of this quality. even my "good" cells are not good, and cannot reliably get through more than one load. 2 small loads MAX. not sure if it matters, but the variance in length between these cells is easily measured with cheap calipers. I think the device is potentially great, but the battery situation is pathetic, a major Achilles heel, and is starting to ruin the fun for me. it's a niche device to me right now

anyway, I would happily pay for another solution. maybe something like @Joel W. 's adapter, only with a single 18650 cell encased in the adapter itself. I don't care if it adds 3" to the overall length. I don't give 2 shits how "cool" a device is if I can't use it

Do you have any other GH symptoms? I think something else is wrong than the battery if you are only getting 1-2 small chambers.

Last edited:

Kalessin

Sorry to hear that. And so weird!

I needed a replacement body for my ss, and from submitting claim, to replacement piece in my hand was about 5 days. They must not have stock of your finish (?). Which gh finish do you have?

Have you tried emailing Caroline directly to get some attention? Your delays don't seem right, and I bet she can help.
Mine is a green ti. I guess I spoke too quickly. I emailed Caroline asking why my package hadn't shipped as I was told it would, and she emailed back with a tracking number. My original tracking email didn't make it to me for some reason

Top Bottom