Discontinued The Grasshopper

Raf

My guess is release is battery dependent. They did say the new one uses the same battery, right?

I agree with @Vaporific . I'm 100% sure that @Hopper Labs specifically said that the new device will use same batteries as the old device.

I think what they're probably going to do is call the new battery GHB3 but it will have the same physical size as the original batteries. Just like the profile of the GHB2 one was the same as the GHb1. Logic: They specified that it would be marked to show it was different than any of the old batteries so that would mean it can't say GHB2 either with or without made-in-china otherwise it would resemble old batteries

God-willing, it will have enhanced performance characteristics which will also benefit the Mark I legacy devices :razz:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My guess is release is battery dependent. They did say the new one uses the same battery, right?
I think this is correct; between the battery fiasco and the fire setback, roll-out of the new-new was pushed back several months. It had been planned for December.
But even before the fire they were selling Grasshoppers with batteries in the box, and they've helped some folks out with batteries (thank you, Trevor) since the fire. So my point is, there must be some small number of batteries in existence, and given that they've said all theses new-news were just waiting for assembly, why couldn't they get a few into the the hands of some impartial critics? Or loyal customers, either/or...

@Raf , from what I've read, everything Trevor has said would indicate that the batteries will still be ghb2. They didn't have funds to develop next gen for the last batch and likely haven't the time or $ to do it for this run. He did indicate that they would be somehow distinguished from the previous, but that could mean a yellow wrapper for all we know.
One very cryptic thing he said a few weeks ago caught my attention. It was something like, don't worry folks, there will be plenty of batteries. So, I wonder if another battery house being brought in actually increases the odds of third party production at some point. The batteries are atm unique to Hoppers, but not proprietary; for the right market enticement someone may start a new supply line, outside of HLabs (or perhaps on a some subsidiary basis).

Raf

Yeah who knows what will happen now or how many reservations spots they sold. That's a good point though @vapviking , I forgot they could change the color of the wrappers LOL

Maybe one Factory is to produce the regular ones ASAP and the other Factory is to produce the top secret Next Generation battery:hmm:

I wish they had live-streamed their trip though LOL we could watch them eat dim sum, etc.. kidnapped by Triad battery gangs, crazy tense negotiations, that would make it super easy to hit a thousand pages

Like you see Trevor holding a battery in one hand and a hand grenade in the other and then the battery manufacturer has a gun to the head of one of the other grasshopper guys and everyone is yelling at everybody else in a combination of Mandarin and Cantonese!

.. then it cuts to the scene of them all drinking that crazy high-proof baiju, slapping each other on the back and everybody has matching Mike Tyson tattoos.

Then battery start shipping out the next week:rockon:

..and that's the distinguishing mark, lol. The new batteries will all have little Mike Tyson tattoos

Last edited:

david8613

Always good to have multiple supply sources, yeah?

This and hopper labs will be outputting double the amount of batteries, this is smart. I hope they start shipping some batteries to current costumers and not just save them for the newly designed hoppers. I ordered some batteries in November and I haven't received mine yet, I was gonna order a couple more but I wanna wait until the ones I ordered reach me, dont wantvto tie my money up like that or I'll forget what I ordered. Anyone got there batteries from a November order? I'm out in new Jersey USA.

Baron23

This and hopper labs will be outputting double the amount of batteries

Well, not necessarily. Two sources doesn't necessarily mean twice the ordered product.

There are various supply chain tactics that can be applied. You can have an annual P.O. competed between two or more sources for that year's complete production. Or, you could split your order among various suppliers in order to keep their production lines available.

And, I'm sure a real supply chain manager can think of many other scenarios.

Raf

I noticed the estimated time for a spare body on the site increased to 5-10 days. Assuming the one that I ordered from @Hopper Labs works right I'm probably going to order another one. It has been a little more than 3 to 5 days so far but not in a hurry. :D

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
It's been said but needs to be said on a regular base: don't buy the Hopper as your daily driver if you have no halfway decent replacement in case it fails, if only for the batteries. A less than halfway decent replacement might even add to the annoyance, cause there's a lot to miss.
As sad as it is, the only reason I bought a dynavap is because my only vape was my SS GH and I couldn't use it without batteries :shrug: But thanks for the reminder that VAS will be my downfall. I already have a(n out of commission) GH, so I don't really need a second one :rofl:

Raf

As sad as it is, the only reason I bought a dynavap is because my only vape was my SS GH and I couldn't use it without batteries :shrug: But thanks for the reminder that VAS will be my downfall. I already have a(n out of commission) GH, so I don't really need a second one :rofl:

I've been impressed by what dynavap can do now. For a lost in the woods or no fuel for the generator scenario, then it makes you the king in the land of blind men. Waaaaaaaaay better now than when I first had their thing with the little glass vial screwed into a piece of metal back in the day LOL that thing was a piece of s***:razz:

@david8613 realistically the new batteries probably won't be ready to ship out from USA for a minimum of a month it would seem like, if the negotiations to manufacture them are taking place now. Unfortunately if you ordered batteries in November it seems like they probably won't ship you any until the new ones are made. But if you are stuck with no batteries at all then I think if you sent them a pm, then they can arrange to hook you up with an emergency temporary battery

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
@david8613 realistically the new batteries probably won't be ready to ship out from USA for a minimum of a month it would seem like,
At least a month. I ordered batts in April and they didn’t arrive until October, just 2 weeks prior to the HL fire. That’s a 6 month wait and I’ll bet it’s a similar time frame with the new shipment, likely close to the April ‘20 launch of the Mark II version or whatever we’ee calling it. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think new batts will be here soon and a few more months out. :2c::peace:

david8613

At least a month. I ordered batts in April and they didn’t arrive until October, just 2 weeks prior to the HL fire. That’s a 6 month wait and I’ll bet it’s a similar time frame with the new shipment, likely close to the April ‘20 launch of the Mark II version or whatever we’ee calling it. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think new batts will be here soon and a few more months out. :2c::peace:

that sucks, my batteries are still ok, but I just like to get things I paid for in a timely manner.

Vaporific

that sucks, my batteries are still ok, but I just like to get things I paid for in a timely manner.
We all do. Unfortunately, this historically has not been HL’s strength. It goes to supply chain management as alluded to above.

The second battery factory could be for a new upcoming version (e.g. GBH3) or extra capacity for the existing ones. If the latter, OK, however I’m still wary about consistency across two different suppliers since this is an odd type battery (not proprietary as we’ve established). There have been issues with the existing one, HL fire notwithstanding, so doubling production is good for quantity but quality remains to be seen. We’ll see.

I will say my repaired Hopper works all too well and a joy to have again. A couple of rips, now with some fresh flower and new strains I’ve never tried, and life is indeed good again. And yes I’ve been using a couple of batts HL instructed us to not use - no issues with mine and a welcome addition to my two older ones that are quickly giving out. Otherwise soon I won’t be able to use my Hopper...:peace::peace:

Hammahead

Turns out my batteries start waving good bye. I only have one left that doesn't start flickering right away and another that does but also still heats up the bowl properly. All others (I have a total of 8) flicker like a mother, take twice as long to turn the led from red to blue and do not deliver full power. When I started using it, I set the dial to 4, now it's 5 for most batteries and I have significantly less extraction than with my good battery. So now I have a perfect V1 Hopper but will only be able to use it at full power for a few weeks at best. Bummer. Bypass charging doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever, and how would it? For full performance, that thing needs 12 A. Which makes me think... will the new model require up to 18 A, running at 65 Watts? How's that supposed to work with the current batteries? ;) Did by any chance anyone ever raise the idea of a 510 box mod heater?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
There's been a notice on the HL site since the fire and the whole battery thing has been a huge issue discussed to the nth degee here.
On the battery product page the biggest portion is all about the safety recall, but even the estimated ship time is cautionary. Anytime HL offers a 'pre-order' ANYTHING, it's notice that you'll be waiting a while, and then some.

The last battery batch was a comedy of errors and setbacks. Even the rioting in Hong Kong was said to be a delaying factor. We all hope HL has a smoother ride this time! I'm guessing (wildly) 2 to 3 months.

The offer from @Hopper Labs for battery help was directed to folks with either recent purchase of new or recently rma'd devices, and I believe was very limited. I was lucky to be in the right category and responded early, but that was a while ago now.

Raf

Turns out my batteries start waving good bye. I only have one left that doesn't start flickering right away and another that does but also still heats up the bowl properly. All others (I have a total of 8) flicker like a mother, take twice as long to turn the led from red to blue and do not deliver full power. When I started using it, I set the dial to 4, now it's 5 for most batteries and I have significantly less extraction than with my good battery. So now I have a perfect V1 Hopper but will only be able to use it at full power for a few weeks at best. Bummer. Bypass charging doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever, and how would it? For full performance, that thing needs 12 A. Which makes me think... will the new model require up to 18 A, running at 65 Watts? How's that supposed to work with the current batteries? ;) Did by any chance anyone ever raise the idea of a 510 box mod heater?

This blows, can you figure out how to pm me some kind of return shipping label? I have one spare battery I'll send you which does not blink on a full charge.

I agree with @Vaporific and @vapviking it's almost definitely going to take more than a month but i wanted to be as optimistic as possible lol

Last edited:

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
I think you can contact Hopper Labs and they'll send you one battery from their old batch. I did the same and it seems to be working so far. But I truly loathe only having a single battery, and I have no idea how long I'll be without one, so my GH is only getting tentative use right now.

rnartian,
Reactions: Hammahead

ChooChooCharlie

I noticed the estimated time for a spare body on the site increased to 5-10 days. Assuming the one that I ordered from @Hopper Labs works right I'm probably going to order another one. It has been a little more than 3 to 5 days so far but not in a hurry. :D

Um...

Maybe that spare body order was a bad idea:

processed.jpg

This, coming from a fan

hopper-shirts.jpg

aero_0Ftime

gh received Nov. 12 still trouble-free after about a couple dozen sessions, 2-3 minutes each. looking forward to 65 watt and ghb9000. love it & wouldn't change a thing. it's everything the 300dlx wasn't, with a smaller diameter, too. have read the manual and everything in there made sense. just wondering about, and would love any input on, a few itemized things. got info on one? got info on many? let me know. thanks
- if button and body touch through a conductor like a coin or tweezers, then power seems to come on. only tested for a split second accidentally. seem to recall this feature was mentioned in a HL informational video?
- machining a) bulging threads (tighten button/clip/batterycover piece way too tightly through multiple tries, then the body gap is near zero, but either way, at unboxing it already had the small bulge in the thread) b) no definite thread end (tighten mouthpiece gently, with body gap zero or less, sometimes feeling overtightened while still turning)
- power on seems to do one of two things: either last about 15 seconds and then turn off, or stay on, tested up to about 2-3 minutes. same regular click for either one. pattern seems not obvious.
- (and my personal favorite) half-button press gives temporary power on/off. the affirmative mega-click regular button operation works well too, but the half press or pre-click is a lot quieter. and, if you get the aforementioned 15 second auto power off, while holding button at half-click, then releasing the button will power on the gh again, so the behavior of the button just kinda flipped on its own, there; now you might want to do a full click when you're done, or it may stay on 2-3 minutes or more, if it feels like it.

Raf

Um...

processed.jpg

This, coming from a fan

hopper-shirts.jpg
Um...

processed.jpg

This, coming from a fan

hopper-shirts.jpg

I did only order one to see what would happen first :razz:

You saw those guys that owned the plane Indiana Jones just got onto right? I'm just hoping for them to make it back at this point LOL and then spare bodies? :haw:

@ChooChooCharlie Fwiw it took them forever to send my friend's spare stainless steel clicky unit, over a month. seems like they have less stainless stuff spares even before kersplosion.

Last edited:

Baron23

The one of my GHs that is working properly after RMAs is a joy to use.

When you have one that works properly, there is nothing quite like it.

I have been using mine quit frequently and its an easy to use, hard hitting, full extracting, vape engine. I most often use it with a J-hook or FC-188 but I do have a 420EDC Ti chillum that I was given (what a great gift) and I do use that from time to time also.

I have been running with the OG MP with silicone condom as I get a bit of air leak with my PFE. Most likely a lousy glass joint...but, maybe the PFE or a bit of both. The condom seals well though so that's what I'm using.

I'm still reserving judgement on just how much progress Hopper has made against reliability and parts interchangeability as it will take time, AFTER they get back in production, to see enough reports to make any sort of determination. But I am hopeful and still feel that @Hopper Labs recent new line of communications here with us on FC is a grand thing and I just wish that they did this 3 years ago...or more.

When they are back up and running, I will return the other one I own that still runs cold after RMAs.

And, I may well buy one of their new ones. I just love it when they work right, and hate it and find it very frustrating when they don''t and go into RMA purgatory.

I do NOT encourage anybody else to do so, but I am rotating through the four new batteries I bought before the fire. They charge and discharge perfectly well so I'm using them....but, I will not leave them in the charger unattended! haha

Oh, tip from Baron (doesn't quite have the ring of Tips from Heloise now does it! haha) - I have been finding my MP a bit tough to screw on and off. Now, we know that the threads of the MP are right up against the screen at the top and so I concluded it was time for an ISO bath to clean out any reclaim and grit. Did so and it was still hard to screw on/off. Then the light went off and I got out my pointy tweezers and indeed did find that the internal MP screen had backed off of its threads by about two full turns. Once tightened back up, the MP screws on/off easily. So, that's your tip for the day. haha

Vaporific

The one of my GHs that is working properly after RMAs is a joy to use.

When you have one that works properly, there is nothing quite like it.

I have been using mine quit frequently and its an easy to use, hard hitting, full extracting, vape engine. I most often use it with a J-hook or FC-188 but I do have a 420EDC Ti chillum that I was given (what a great gift) and I do use that from time to time also.

I have been running with the OG MP with silicone condom as I get a bit of air leak with my PFE. Most likely a lousy glass joint...but, maybe the PFE or a bit of both. The condom seals well though so that's what I'm using.

I'm still reserving judgement on just how much progress Hopper has made against reliability and parts interchangeability as it will take time, AFTER they get back in production, to see enough reports to make any sort of determination. But I am hopeful and still feel that @Hopper Labs recent new line of communications here with us on FC is a grand thing and I just wish that they did this 3 years ago...or more.

When they are back up and running, I will return the other one I own that still runs cold after RMAs.

And, I may well buy one of their new ones. I just love it when they work right, and hate it and find it very frustrating when they don''t and go into RMA purgatory.

I do NOT encourage anybody else to do so, but I am rotating through the four new batteries I bought before the fire. They charge and discharge perfectly well so I'm using them....but, I will not leave them in the charger unattended! haha

Oh, tip from Baron (doesn't quite have the ring of Tips from Heloise now does it! haha) - I have been finding my MP a bit tough to screw on and off. Now, we know that the threads of the MP are right up against the screen at the top and so I concluded it was time for an ISO bath to clean out any reclaim and grit. Did so and it was still hard to screw on/off. Then the light went off and I got out my pointy tweezers and indeed did find that the internal MP screen had backed off of its threads by about two full turns. Once tightened back up, the MP screws on/off easily. So, that's your tip for the day. haha
Indeed, one properly working Hopper is all you need. My RMA’d preorder Ti continues to work well nearly 3 months since its return. I’m also using 2 (out of 5 - the other 3 still in kitty litter) new batts in rotation with my two older and failing batts - and keeping a watchful eye on them while charging and using. They work fine too and I can’t operate with fewer than 3-4 charged batts on hand (I like extras charged since I use my Hopper A LOT!).

Then the light went off and I got out my pointy tweezers and indeed did find that the internal MP screen had backed off of its threads by about two full turns. Once tightened back up, the MP screws on/off easily. So, that's your tip for the day. haha
This works too and I’d add to do an ISO soak with the screen removed, both the frontend and screen submerged - that should fix all frontend issues. Mine is getting a bath in a few days with the screen out - that’s how much I’ve been using my Hopper since it’s return.

As for my previous comments about batteries, it’s just speculation and I don’t have any direct knowledge when a new shipment will arrive at HL. The last one was impacted by geo-political stuff, trade wars, etc. and, honestly, not much has changed in these areas. I think it will take several (?) months to get a new shipment in and then HL needs to figure out who to send replacements to, etc. HL’s turnaround track record has been historically bad but it was getting better as of late...:peace:

mephisto

I rescued a SS hopper and a Ti hopper from certain drawer gulag. Unfortunately, the majority of the cells I received with the first SS unit are toast. These cells will not reach temp for even 1 hit. Ok, so I will wait outthe batteries for that one. The Ti I just received today came with 1 cell, and it is young and fresh. I just can'tresist the proper function and resulting effects of the vape we love to hate. I got a refund for the new charger and the batteries that were ordered just before the conflagration. I even threw in for the new version. What can I say, I am a hopeless hopper freak. It is said almost daily in this thread, so, " when it works right, thereis nothing like it". Stay strong Hopper freaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
We got a few parts back from the machinist today, namely the Grasshopper Body extension tube.

Still waiting on a few more pieces and a slight modification to this piece, the first circuit boards to come back and we should have a few options together after the new year for both wall power and external 18650 Grasshopper mods.

Top Bottom