Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Keep cycling your batteries on a good charger. I had a couple that were weak but I used them a lot and they improved some. Might work seeing they have been stored for so long. Good luck!!! Glad to hear your Hopper is back to you!
I have a couple of Nitecore chargers and recharged all batteries on hand (again, two of my newer batts, GBH2, are on temporary loan to a friend and I should get them back soon). I’m hoping the ones on loan hold a charge like the one I sent in for the RMA. If that’s the case I should be ok for a bit until - AHEM!!!! - the new batt order arrives. Whenever the H(E)L(L) that is. Maybe Xmas at the rate they operate.
don't forget to try the fury mouthpiece on your hopper. It's a pretty magical combination!
I gotta try this! I don’t have the PFE and assume the Fury mouthpiece will fit on the standard Hopper front end. Thanks!

Baron23

So, my one GH that is working well is actually running hotter than it did OG. Ok by me, I can always turn it down, the other GH has to be on 5 for just middling extraction.

I'm running GBH2 batteries, I rotate through four of them, and I'm really only getting three loads out of a battery. Oh, I can push to four, but somewhere in the fourth I'm likely to get flashing blue lights and then the red flashing dead battery light.

I note that after three loads, my battery charge reported by my Nitecore is right at 3.9v.

TBH, I haven't had a working GH in so long, I forget how many loads I used to get on a battery....maybe 1 or two more than now???

Anyway, lately I've taken to using a 14mm J-hook with it rather than my FC-188. Light, easy, small, works very well.

Cheers

fogbank

I used to think that, but the more I read about the box mod vapes like the splinter, stempod and dreamwood, the more I'm wondering if that's true. I am saving my pennies to try a mod and splinter and see how it really does compare.

They are larger, but....

I have two Mi's and a Splinter, used them a lot, never had to send them in. Great flavor, but there is a learning curve and it's unregulated.

I have the Stempod. The point about the box mod flower vapes being unregulated is the key to why I don't use the Stempod anymore.

I spent a lot of time trying to configure the Stempod to vape without combusting. It is possible to achieve this by tweaking the mod's software and adopting the correct technique, however I found this to be too much of a challenge. If you activate the coil too long, or draw at the wrong speed, you can combust pretty easily. Combustion really kills the stealth aspect of vaping.

I've never combusted with a Hopper. I have only heard random reports from people who have combusted with the Hopper. In my experience it is far more "combustion proof" than the Stempod.

edited for spelling

Vaporific

So my returned Ti is still kicking however I wish I had NEW FUCKING BATTERIES FROM HL! The updated heating assembly seems to be working well and definitely hotter than pre RMA. It’s almost too hot as I’ve turned down the temp to under 3 and still getting small clouds (which is fine with me). It’s still a bit hot in the throat as I mostly use it natively and haven’t tried the water pipe again due to my meager battery inventory. I also haven’t tried the Fury mouthpiece on it yet but soon to see if it offers some cooling.

Finishing off a chamber is rather spectacular too - just bump the temp a bit and draw. Effects are wonderful too this way I’ve noticed this far - good to the last drop! This is what I was again expecting as my first year with my pre-order unit performed fairly well and then it went downhill fast.

I know my oldest batteries are useless at this point. I need my new batteries soon - AHEM!!!!! - HL!!! :peace:

slozukimc

So my returned Ti is still kicking however I wish I had NEW FUCKING BATTERIES FROM HL! The updated heating assembly seems to be working well and definitely hotter than pre RMA. It’s almost too hot as I’ve turned down the temp to under 3 and still getting small clouds (which is fine with me). It’s still a bit hot in the throat as I mostly use it natively and haven’t tried the water pipe again due to my meager battery inventory. I also haven’t tried the Fury mouthpiece on it yet but soon to see if it offers some cooling.

Finishing off a chamber is rather spectacular too - just bump the temp a bit and draw. Effects are wonderful too this way I’ve noticed this far - good to the last drop! This is what I was again expecting as my first year with my pre-order unit performed fairly well and then it went downhill fast.

I know my oldest batteries are useless at this point. I need my new batteries soon - AHEM!!!!! - HL!!! :peace:
I have a suspicion that a lot of the failures have to do with running on weak batteries. I hate to even suggest it, but I would put it in a drawer and wait for better batteries if you can’t get two or three bowls out of one.

Vaporific

I have a suspicion that a lot of the failures have to do with running on weak batteries. I hate to even suggest it, but I would put it in a drawer and wait for better batteries if you can’t get two or three bowls out of one.
Agree about how the batteries drive performance, even more so with the upgrades in RMA’d units and likely the new units too. It’s really like night and day. One of my newer batts (approx. two years old - I number and rotate them) still holds a decent charge, the others on hand don’t provide much charge and a hit or two, that’s it. I’ll see my friend this weekend who borrowed a couple of my newer ones however fresh batts would be friggin awesome right about now as I have few good ones! :bang::peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
fresh batts would be friggin awesome right about now as I have few good ones
Take heart! The HL store has changed the expected ship date on the battery page! We're no longer going with names of months, now it's the number of weeks, currently at 3 to 4. But will it still say 3 to 4 a couple of weeks from now?

Battery arrival will also bring some hurt. Though I've already paid for 2 (4/20 sale!) I really think I'll need more than that since it's about time all my current batts were replaced. At 14 bucks each it will hurt a bit for many of us, I think.

But for HL more cash will be coming in from the batteries than ever before and I hope it keeps the ball rolling.

Vaporific

“Ships in 3-4 weeks” is an improvement over “Ships in August/September”??
That’s essentially the same thing, but in Hopper-ese it means don’t hold your breath. Their estimates are guess work. I’m guessing it’ll be October before they start shipping them out.

Used some concentrate extract last night for a change and then topped it off with a couple draws from my returned Ti which is still performing quite well. It’s definitely hotter in the throat than I recall before RMA and certainly hotter even on lower temps (in the 2’s now) than my Furies at 375-380. I want to try the Fury mouthpiece on the Hopper, that may help.:peace:

NOLOGO

I want to try the Fury mouthpiece on the Hopper, that may help.:peace:

I’ve been using one of my old fury mouthpieces on my green Ti hopper, and it really makes it feel like a different vape. I think the gasket inside the mouthpiece (which presses against the hopper’s body) is the game changer. The air-tight seal offers up a much better hit without needing a water piece.
This is my dd one hitter now...when i just need a quick shot...which is funny, because that’s the roll i intended for the hopper to fill since backing the IG campaign all those years ago lol

LMK what you think if y’all try it! I absolutely love this method, and don’t see a reason to ever use the hopper “natively” again.

(edited for syntax and misspells)

Rel2018

Hi,
Quick update,

Last week I bought a brand new Ti GH with the 20% off coupon.
It arrived today. Tried it once on 4 and it shot me to the skies, with nice crispy ABV.

I think they added a screen (same as PFE screen) to the chamber, the holes seems smaller than on my previous GH. On my other GH I added a Mighty screen that I cut.

I think I’m going to keep it aside coz I have another hopper + body that work good (not like a brand new and with minor issues but does the job)

Wish that all of you receiving your RMAs or new ones be satisfied and happy!

Last edited:

lisifi

I’ve been using one of my old fury mouthpieces on my green Ti hopper, and it really makes it feel like a different vape. I think the gasket inside the mouthpiece (which presses against the hopper’s body) is the game changer.

Could you post a pic of this frankenvape? (don't have a Fury at hand ... )

Vaporific

Nah. Hoppers have been failing left and right since the company started and had the freshest of fresh batteries.
From Day 1 when I got my Hopper with a set of batteries (GBH1’s), a couple of them held less charge than the others. Crazy, right? Definitely an inconsistency with batteries early on. I got GBH2’s the second time around which were my last set, and they seemed better but they weren’t all the same either (I number and rotate them).

Not only have the units failed but the batteries were not optimal out of the gate. Hoping the new supplier is better than the old one - whenever that slow boat from China pulls into port...:myday::peace:

Poostuff

Please delete
Hopper Labs shipped me a new GH body a while back. Unfortunately it doesn’t heat up so well either.
I’ve just put it away for a while & maybe I’ll look at another RMA when I things improve.
I’d probably try the lottery again & just buy another because a working Grasshopper is a phenomenal vape, but I’m doing ok in the on demand department right now.

Choices

I’ve been using one of my old fury mouthpieces on my green Ti hopper, and it really makes it feel like a different vape. I think the gasket inside the mouthpiece (which presses against the hopper’s body) is the game changer. The air-tight seal offers up a much better hit without needing a water piece.
This is my dd one hitter now...when i just need a quick shot...which is funny, because that’s the roll i intended for the hopper to fill since backing the IG campaign all those years ago lol

LMK what you think if y’all try it! I absolutely love this method, and don’t see a reason to ever use the hopper “natively” again.

(edited for syntax and misspells)

So I tried this a few moments ago. Pretty interesting variation to say the least. It really allowed me to take a deeper and longer inhalation compared to without the Fury mouthpiece. Seems quite a bit cooler to me so yeah I like it. If you have ‘em both give it a shot. I think you may like it as well....

NOLOGO

Could you post a pic of this frankenvape? (don't have a Fury at hand ... )
Happy to! But I'm new here, (and old IRL haha) can someone please direct me to instructions on how to post pics on FC? TIA

EDIT: tried out a hosting site like a big boy. Let's see if this link works! https://ibb.co/album/fH8YMF

I don't know how to make the pics appear in here but the above link works :rockon:

EDIT 2 This one shows how the fury mouthpiece silicon gasket is almost the same diameter as the PFE.
IMG-20190919-220929.jpg

Modnote: Edited to display image

Last edited:

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Happy to! But I'm new here, (and old IRL haha) can someone please direct me to instructions on how to post pics on FC? TIA

EDIT: tried out a hosting site like a big boy. Let's see if this link works! https://ibb.co/album/fH8YMF

I don't know how to make the pics appear in here but the above link works :rockon:

EDIT 2 This one shows how the fury mouthpiece silicon gasket is almost the same diameter as the PFE.
IMG-20190919-220929.jpg

Modnote: Edited to display image
Proud tratition of sticking other vapes mouth pieces on top of the hopper I been using the glow super small mouth piece with a ball of degumped hemp fiber under the screen to catch particles from going into my lungs, a thing we don't discuss enough in the dry herb world BUT came to ask a thing and also say that my glow with its short air path is cooler then the hopper

Is the grasshopper the least smelly vape in your collection?, just starting wondering this now that I have 4 different vapes to play with

My glow smells second most after stickybrick, then Enano little tiny bit and then can't even smell the hopper

Maybe because it gets ISO washed so often before doing its regular trans Atlantic flights

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Nice!
Some of us were trying to use Crafty/Mighty cooling unit for a while but it lacks the nice fit, it has to be held in place. I can try this tonight when I visit a friend who has a F2. He never uses the mp, only the direct glass stem, maybe he'll give me the mp!

@Hjalmark , I got a mediocre nose for stuff, but I am aware that Hopper smells least between it, Mighty, Pax2 and Splinter V1.

NOLOGO

I wouldn't want that hot vapor hitting the silicone disk in the top of the fury mp :2c: Always tastes funky and that's prob why your friend never used the mp. I don't either in fact I haven't used the fury in a longggg time.

No longer missing my hopper :ko:
:argh:
Nice!
Some of us were trying to use Crafty/Mighty cooling unit for a while but it lacks the nice fit, it has to be held in place. I can try this tonight when I visit a friend who has a F2. He never uses the mp, only the direct glass stem, maybe he'll give me the mp!

@Hjalmark , I got a mediocre nose for stuff, but I am aware that Hopper smells least between it, Mighty, Pax2 and Splinter V1.

Yeah if one we're to use this rig for multiple bowls per session, (or with multiple people), the silicone would probably impart some flavor. I only ever do a single hopper bowl at a time (so 2-3 hits) and I don't notice a silicone flavor.

And like @Choices noted above, this combo allows you to take a much bigger rip than is possible with the hopper alone...and given the fact that I only ever hit it 3 times maximum, I'm not at all concerned with the silicone in the fury mouthpiece. In fact I still use the fury edge with it's og mouthpiece when stealth and portability are of the utmost importance.

I also used to do that crafty cooling chamber hack, but that DEFINITELY tasted of plastic...and it resin-ated so much so quickly, and was a PIA to clean. I used a bit of silicone tubing + a glass tube (kinda like the one from inside the fury mp) to make it stick on the hopper without having to hold it, which was nice. It sorta worked, but would definitely fall off if bumped too hard. And with that method the hopper was parallel to your body, which make the whole contraption look even more sketch lol.

I absolutely love the fury mp on my hopper for one bowl at a time. It's not extremely elegant, but it fits as if it was meant to, and greatly reduced temp on lips and of the vapor

(has anyone tried one of those "philter" things with a hopper? Wonder if that ends up being sleeker than the fury mp?)

edited for spelling

Vaporific

I finally tried the Fury mouthpiece on the Hopper and it worked fairly well. Definitely a bit cooler with the same temp (3.0) and enabling longer draws. Effect is pretty damn good :). The new heater in my pre order Ti works well, so well that the frontend gets fairly hot. I’d experiment more but I’m down to one battery at the moment as my other two will be returned to me from a friend trying to resuscitate his Hopper (another pre order Ti like mine spending time in RMAville - just like mine. Go figure!!).

Not the most stealthy setup but at home it’s a good option. I have 2 Furies and it’s because of my Hopper. They’re my dailies as was my Hopper until it croaked. Now it’s back, working fairly well (it’s only been a week but so far so good), and another option to use with the Hopper at home.

TGIF :peace:

Top Bottom