Discontinued The Grasshopper

Baron23

My GH is still going strong with no idiosyncratic or odd behavior at all. I feel very badly for those still having RMA issues and think that GH has a LOT to make up to their buying customers; 1) for the lousy 'let's stretch it out to over a year for delivery' and 2) high failure rate/repeat RMAs.

I keep checking and the back end is consistently cool with mine...really no heat at all....and I suspect that is the key to these things working correctly.

Still love it, easy to use, don't mind the condom, and its awesome through a water piece. Load size is just perfect for my solo 'before I go to bed' bake.

Take care guys and for those who are having RMA issues, stay on them cause there are a bunch of GHs out there that work right so they should be able to reproduce that for everybody.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Really can't make my mind up, this or the GH. Battery seems to be a lot better with the firefly

By now you certainly have heard all of the pros/cons of the GH. If the use and form factor of this device appeal to you...I'd wait for the GH....because it really excels at ultra fast potent rips. If you have no need for a stealth pen instant heat vape that provides quick but hot/harsh hits....then perhaps you should get a refund. As my mother used to say, "honey...nobody is gonna make your mind up for you".

I have both and while I do like the FF2 I have to invent reasons to use it because 99% of the time I reach for the Grasshopper. I've had the GH for a little bit more than a year and I used the FF2 everyday when I got it about a month ago but quickly went back to my GH routine.

If a person can have both I'd say get both as you can probably get a FF2 faster, however if your a vape monogamist then I'd say wait for the GH because even with a FF2, on night with a GH and you'll be getting that divorce

hi_there

I feel very badly for those still having RMA issues

The whole thing is so confusing, with so many defective units it is strange they can't figure out the issue. I wonder if it is something in the quality of the 3d printing, maybe specs are off.

Mrbrown81k

Giving up my chance at getting this unit. Sounds too unreliable. Not only that they told my friend latest June and that was an over estimate. It is now July and nothing.. Damn really wanted this one...

Mrbrown81k,

jamesuk9

Crew Slut...
The whole thing is so confusing, with so many defective units it is strange they can't figure out the issue. I wonder if it is something in the quality of the 3d printing, maybe specs are off.

I bought 2 Ti Hoppers at the same time, one for me and another for my mate. His has been perfect with zero issues yet mine went through 6 warranty claims, 2 on chargers and 4 on front end heater issues.

I ended up getting so pissed off that i sent mine back for a refund and bought an EVO instead, a decision I do not regret, it's a bit special with a Hydratube.

That said, I do really miss the immediate heatup and stealth element of the Hopper so will no doubt buy another and try again.

Radiocitysuicide

Just got a SS hopper on Wednesday and it's running really hot. After a few hits on the 4th heat setting it's way to hot to use without a mouthpiece and can even be uncomfortable with one. The unit also feels really hot to the touch like it would burn my hand if I squeezed it and kept it om there. Anyone else have a similar issue?

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Just got a SS hopper on Wednesday and it's running really hot. After a few hits on the 4th heat setting it's way to hot to use without a mouthpiece and can even be uncomfortable with one. The unit also feels really hot to the touch like it would burn my hand if I squeezed it and kept it om there. Anyone else have a similar issue?
Some people have had issues with excessive back end heat that seem to be related to battery issues. But if your entire unit is too hot to hold comfortably, that sounds like a different issue. Seems to me like a warranty claim is in order, but I don't even own a hopper yet. I'm basing my opinion on what I've read here over the last few weeks/months.

VimFuego

Mine is behaving just like this, and has been since I got it a couple of weeks ago. Back end becomes almost as hot as the front end and just as fast. Probably have to put a warranty request in soon.

VimFuego,

Razshiro

Some people have had issues with excessive back end heat that seem to be related to battery issues. But if your entire unit is too hot to hold comfortably, that sounds like a different issue. Seems to me like a warranty claim is in order, but I don't even own a hopper yet. I'm basing my opinion on what I've read here over the last few weeks/months.

so true, i have 2 battery and i only have the hot back end issue with 1 battery (not every hit) ...

Mine is behaving just like this, and has been since I got it a couple of weeks ago. Back end becomes almost as hot as the front end and just as fast. Probably have to put a warranty request in soon.

Do you try with other battery?

Razshiro,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
My GH is still going strong with no idiosyncratic or odd behavior at all. I feel very badly for those still having RMA issues and think that GH has a LOT to make up to their buying customers; 1) for the lousy 'let's stretch it out to over a year for delivery' and 2) high failure rate/repeat RMAs.

I keep checking and the back end is consistently cool with mine...really no heat at all....and I suspect that is the key to these things working correctly.

Still love it, easy to use, don't mind the condom, and its awesome through a water piece. Load size is just perfect for my solo 'before I go to bed' bake.

Take care guys and for those who are having RMA issues, stay on them cause there are a bunch of GHs out there that work right so they should be able to reproduce that for everybody.

My SS Hopper is still going strong after three weeks. Although my back-end does get hot as well. Initially I thought this would be a major problem requiring me to request an RMA immediately.

Instead as I've seen from others, HL considers a warm backend normal operation and no need to repair.

However I noticed something about my new hopper with the hot backend - it cooks much slower than my previous loaner I used back in November 2015.

When I first got my SS hopper, I tried to rip the thing HARD like I did with my first hopper experience. Unfortunately I couldn't get decent cloud production and my ABV wasn't dark enough. Once I slowed down my draw speed considerably, I was able to get fairly decent cloud production to satisfy my needs.

Although the difference in performance is noticeable. Clearly the loaner hopper I had with a cold back-end had a MUCH stronger heater capable of keeping up with the heat requirements. My new hopper with a hot-backend has a weaker heater that takes considerably longer to heatup and requires a slower draw-speed to compensate.

Yes I'm not very happy with my SS hopper performance, the back-end reaches over 130F around the clip when I rip it hard with a half-dead battery (freshly charged batteries from my Nitecore D2 seem to run cooler, but the back end still get's hot).

Note if I pull extremely slow, the backend does not get too hot. But I am still only able to get two loads out of a single battery before swapping them out.

Eventually I'll request an RMA if nothing else breaks. But right now they're busy playing catch up. I still have a working hopper - it might not be working GREAT, but it still works. Maybe in 3-6 months I'll fill out a warranty request if nothing else breaks.

My advice to anyone else with a hot back-end: just wait and see what happens in the next few months - you might have another problem and need to get the whole vape replaced. If your hopper is producing vapor, just deal with it for now and carry a few extra batteries with you :lol:

Mr. Me2

My SS Hopper is still going strong after three weeks. Although my back-end does get hot as well. Initially I thought this would be a major problem requiring me to request an RMA immediately.

Instead as I've seen from others, HL considers a warm backend normal operation and no need to repair.

However I noticed something about my new hopper with the hot backend - it cooks much slower than my previous loaner I used back in November 2015.

When I first got my SS hopper, I tried to rip the thing HARD like I did with my first hopper experience. Unfortunately I couldn't get decent cloud production and my ABV wasn't dark enough. Once I slowed down my draw speed considerably, I was able to get fairly decent cloud production to satisfy my needs.

Although the difference in performance is noticeable. Clearly the loaner hopper I had with a cold back-end had a MUCH stronger heater capable of keeping up with the heat requirements. My new hopper with a hot-backend has a weaker heater that takes considerably longer to heatup and requires a slower draw-speed to compensate.

Yes I'm not very happy with my SS hopper performance, the back-end reaches over 130F around the clip when I rip it hard with a half-dead battery (freshly charged batteries from my Nitecore D2 seem to run cooler, but the back end still get's hot).

Note if I pull extremely slow, the backend does not get too hot. But I am still only able to get two loads out of a single battery before swapping them out.

Eventually I'll request an RMA if nothing else breaks. But right now they're busy playing catch up. I still have a working hopper - it might not be working GREAT, but it still works. Maybe in 3-6 months I'll fill out a warranty request if nothing else breaks.

My advice to anyone else with a hot back-end: just wait and see what happens in the next few months - you might have another problem and need to get the whole vape replaced. If your hopper is producing vapor, just deal with it for now and carry a few extra batteries with you :lol:
Thx for posting your experience, @Ratchett. Wish all was perfect for you, but I'm particularly happy you have the benefit of comparison to know this one isn't performing as well as your earlier loaner.

Razshiro

This is exactly what i think, i need my hopper for my next holidays in 3 weeks (i live in europe).... after my holidays i will send my hopper in warranty process...

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
Has anyone with a hot hopper backend, tried a little conductive grease on the backend threads? This might reduce amp loss across the threads and help keep the backend cooler, while keeping the amps up the heater?

Edit: I know we talked about it once, but not sure of the answer.

Edit2: This seems to be what the flashlight crowd is using on conductive threads in bigboy flashlights? Nyogel 760g

Last edited:
Joel W.,

Kalessin

Has anyone with a hot hopper backend, tried a little conductive grease on the backend threads? This might reduce amp loss across the threads and help keep the backend cooler, while keeping the amps up the heater?

Edit2: This seems to be what the flashlight crowd is using on conductive threads in bigboy flashlights? Nyogel 760g
I have started using Ox-Gard on mine based on a post I saw on reddit about it. Only had it a few days so too soon to really say, but it does seem like it is staying a bit cooler on the end. Could be my imagination though. Definitely makes the backend screw together smoother, which is nice.

moondog

I'm confused. In the description, it says the gel is non-conductive. Doesn't that defeat the purpose or am I not understanding some terminology?

moondog,

moondog

I have started using Ox-Gard on mine based on a post I saw on reddit about it. Only had it a few days so too soon to really say, but it does seem like it is staying a bit cooler on the end. Could be my imagination though. Definitely makes the backend screw together smoother, which is nice.
I am really reluctant to start spreading industrial chemical compounds anywhere on a heating device that I will be inhaling on. It may be that it's perfectly alright being on the back end of the hopper, but I am very, very cautious about that kind of thing.

Kalessin

I am really reluctant to start spreading industrial chemical compounds anywhere on a heating device that I will be inhaling on. It may be that it's perfectly alright being on the back end of the hopper, but I am very, very cautious about that kind of thing.
People use it on ecig mods, and it's nonreactive up to 450F so I'm not worried about it. Edit: causes cancer in California though hahah

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I'm confused. In the description, it says the gel is non-conductive. Doesn't that defeat the purpose or am I not understanding some terminology?

Sorry for the confusion. I am not sure either on that. Here is what I was reading. Maybe conductive grease is a bit dangerous as it can move to where you don't want it.

Conflicting information for sure.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?80020-Lubrication-for-flashlights
https://www.edcforums.com/threads/grease-for-threads.49627/
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?154615-Lube-Conductive-or-Non-Conductive

Last edited:
Joel W.,

hi_there

That is not a warm backend, that is a hot one. I would warranty it. Whatever energy is being used to heat up the backend is power not going to the herb, so you will get poor performance.

Top Bottom