Discontinued The Grasshopper

Al..

I live in the UK and bought mine from the Hopper Labs authorised stockist Vapefiend.

I've had to test out the warranty service after approx one month of ownership the heater died.

Vapefiend deal with warranty claims onsite for purchases from them.

I sent it back on a Wednesday, it was received and verified as a warranty claim by their technician on Thursday, front end replaced and sent to me on Friday for Saturday delivery.

I expected it to be a complete ballache which couldn't have been further from the truth.

Superb level of service.
Vapefiend are tops for customer service...

Vaperist

Got my hopper back yesterday with a replaced back-end. So happy to have it back again. Timing was ok since I got my new Firefly2 while the hopper was out for repair, and so really got to know it pretty well, and although it too is pretty freaking awesome, it is not as convenient or discrete for out and about use.

My wife thinks it is funny that our two main vapes are both insects, haha.
does your newest edition of backed have that small gap between temperature dial ring and corpus?

Vaperist,

pushpaw

does your newest edition of backed have that small gap between temperature dial ring and corpus?
Nope, it's the newer version now. The one that got replaced was the older version. It's interesting as it feels like the click is slightly different on this one. Not in a bad way, but I feel like the older one had a more defined click than this one does. Hard to be sure since I can't do a side by side. And of course I don't really care so long as it keeps working.

Vaperist

Nope, it's the newer version now. The one that got replaced was the older version. It's interesting as it feels like the click is slightly different on this one. Not in a bad way, but I feel like the older one had a more defined click than this one does. Hard to be sure since I can't do a side by side. And of course I don't really care so long as it keeps working.

nice. but the gap? does it still exist in newer version? i mean a gap like in this picture between dial and corpus.
6.jpg

Last edited:
Vaperist,

Vaperist

Yes the gap is still there, I've had no issues with the newer back end though and it gets a hammering...
:\ was hoping that they gonna get rid of it. it is not like that gap is a big deal. but it gives some kind of unfinished look to this otherwise sleek and elegant unit. but if it is necessary for a better functioning- so be it.

kingfisher

:\ was hoping that they gonna get rid of it. it is not like that gap is a big deal. but it gives some kind of unfinished look to this otherwise sleek and elegant unit. but if it is necessary for a better functioning- so be it.

Yes, the gap isolates the electrode from the other. Grasshopper decided to use the back end as part of the circuit.

You could even turn the unit on by putting a piece of metal so that it touches both the clicker stem and outside diameter of the end.

Vaperist

Yes, the gap isolates the electrode from the other. Grasshopper decided to use the back end as part of the circuit.

so using a Hopper outside while it is raining is not a good idea, right? i guess backend can get short circuit very easily, if that small gap works as isolation.

Last edited:

priestsmiler

@Moe I have used all 9 of my current portable electronic vaporisers outside without problem while raining. Although I do agree that it probably isn't the best of ideas.
My point is that none have developed faults because of use in rain but that is not to say that others will be as lucky...

kingfisher

so using a Hopper outside while it is raining is not a good idea, right? i guess backend can get short circuit very easily, if that small gap works as isolation.

I don't see it as being much different than any other vape. If water were to somehow connect the circuit all it would do would be turn the unit on.

I would be more worried about getting water into the top or body. In the manual it specifically says to not get it wet above the lights.

The only problem I see with this design is if someone were to walk around with keys or a metal object in their pocket that could touch the hopper. Obviously this seems unlikely to cause a problem. As it would have to be upside down, would get scratched, and all that would happen is it would time out and maybe drain the battery a bit.

JoeMama

I don't see it as being much different than any other vape. If water were to somehow connect the circuit all it would do would be turn the unit on.

I would be more worried about getting water into the top or body. In the manual it specifically says to not get it wet above the lights.

The only problem I see with this design is if someone were to walk around with keys or a metal object in their pocket that could touch the hopper. Obviously this seems unlikely to cause a problem. As it would have to be upside down, would get scratched, and all that would happen is it would time out and maybe drain the battery a bit.
Rain is bad, m'kay? And, no, it wouldn't just "turn the unit on". It might, sure, but it will also CORRODE the unit over time.
Rain is bad, m'kay?

kingfisher

Rain is bad, m'kay? And, no, it wouldn't just "turn the unit on". It might, sure, but it will also CORRODE the unit over time.
Rain is bad, m'kay?
Yeah maybe over time. Mine is stainless steel, I think they used 316?? Even if it was 303 or 304. Corrosion would be one of the things I would be least concerned about with respect to rain.

kingfisher,
Reactions: Copacetic

Moe_

@Moe I have used all 9 of my current portable electronic vaporisers outside without problem while raining. Although I do agree that it probably isn't the best of ideas.
My point is that none have developed faults because of use in rain but that is not to say that others will be as lucky...
It's a definite risk with any vaporizer, and I guarantee if you're honest when warrantying no company is going to cover it if you run into any issues.

priestsmiler

How would say the mflb, firefly, ascent, or arizer air (with cover over airvent) stop working from use in the rain? These have decent sealed electronics maybe not 100% waterproof but still enough to prevent water damage from a little rain.
The alfa & summit are both marketed as rugged outdoor vaporizers and I would assume since they are designed to be used in extremes of temperature, up mountains, while skiing and the like a (little) rain would incapacitate these. Any owners of these care to chime in on possible usage in rain or if it specifically says in the manuals not to use these in rain?
I do think people should err on the side of caution, however my experience has shown rain is not enough to damage the vapes currently in my possession.
I am always honest with warrantying anything and if I damaged a device (whatever it be) I'd accept responsibility for my actions and would probably replace it myself, like for like. Imo if a device is meant to be used in an outdoor environment then it should be functional outdoors in say a little rain (maybe not in a heavy downpour or other extremes of weather; youknow, within reason).
Any disclaimers about not using in certain conditions or weather that would invalidate the guarantee/warranty I would expect to be outlined in the manual.
I firmly believe butane powered vapes would be a far better solution if 1 were to be adamant about vaping out in the rain, then no risk of water damage. Peace. :)

priestsmiler,
Reactions: Vaperist

Vaperist

Using any electronic vaporizer outside while it's raining probably isn't a great idea.

not at all. i been hitting FocusVape many times when rushing to meeting trough rainy city streets. i hate umbrellas. never use them. i better get a little wet than carry those things with me.

you know what- no problem! Focus was hitting as a conduction champion (no ifs or buts, no other conduction portable gets to temperature so fast and no other is giving so intense clouds) should be hitting. haven't tested it in cold winter environment jet.

expecting nothing less from a GrassHopper. portable vapes should be more or less weatherproof. cause it is not always a perfect weather outside.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Sorry if I've missed this detail in previous posts...

For those that have tried the MFLB stem with the GH, has anyone tried the wooden version? Just wondering if you get the same result as with the glass as far as cooling the vapor down a bit.
I think I posted a pic of my walnut stem with the hopper earlier.
It goes well, the air stream is still quite hot but it's tolerable. It's warm on the lips but nothing like the bare metal. I'm happy with it, though a bigger glass tube would be better. The wood does kind of tweak the flavour but hot water rinsing can keep it clean. I believe there is some property in the wood that makes it anti-bacterial too?

My hopper combusted on me again (3rd time now) - proper ash, tasted rancid, and it discoloured the metal in my chamber slightly.
It's seems to have recalibrated now, I gave it a clean, and now it seems to be working better than ever. It's producing thicker clouds than ever. Some seriously dense clouds that look like too much like smoke but are just vapour, it's quite annoying because I keep thinking its burning so I don't know if I should keep drawing, but so far I keep getting my mind blown by a near green bowl. Seriously, it doesn't make sense how it makes so much cloud without barely changing the herb.
So powerful too, the kind of hits that give headaches.
I'm thinking that it may be early symptoms of something wrong, but time will tell. It has had a hard life working hard every day, and it has sometimes worked this.. phenomenally before. I hope it stays like it.

Another spiel of text I have discovered upon logging in :p
I have been using this hopper way too much, it's just too convenient.

The hopper is a pretty easy design to use on a rainy day if required, I'd be more wary of water getting into the intake holes. But the device is so small, it'd be easy enough to shield it.
The gap on the back can be squished down, it's connected to the spring that holds contact with the battery, or something.
It really doesn't look bad at all in person.
When you slide open your hopper box for the first time I'm sure you'll agree. Sexy bit of kit for sure.

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
I have a very simple idea for grasshopper labs on how to make the vapour cooler. Could someone tag them i dont know their handle.

Someone could try to do this at home... Why dont they drill some very small holes in the mouthpiece to let fresh air mix with the vapour. Just like on a vapman... it has 3 little holes in air path to let air mix with the vapour.

It would be so simple gor them to offer a 'smooth draw' mouthpiece and it would have less air resistance.

kingfisher

not at all. i been hitting FocusVape many times when rushing to meeting trough rainy city streets. i hate umbrellas. never use them. i better get a little wet than carry those things with me.

you know what- no problem! Focus was hitting as a conduction champion (no ifs or buts, no other conduction portable gets to temperature so fast and no other is giving so intense clouds) should be hitting. haven't tested it in cold winter environment jet.

expecting nothing less from a GrassHopper. portable vapes should be more or less weatherproof. cause it is not always a perfect weather outside.

Well when you get your hopper don't forget to write back. I'm curious how your water ingression test will go.

kingfisher,

Vaperist

I have a very simple idea for grasshopper labs on how to make the vapour cooler. Could someone tag them i dont know their handle.

Someone could try to do this at home... Why dont they drill some very small holes in the mouthpiece to let fresh air mix with the vapour. Just like on a vapman... it has 3 little holes in air path to let air mix with the vapour.

It would be so simple gor them to offer a 'smooth draw' mouthpiece and it would have less air resistance.
many hopperists like that harshness which emulate smoking. and those holes wouldn't help when milking up a bong ether. this is good idea if holes can be closed/opened as necessary. but it is hard to imagine how to make an adjustable airflow without compromising Hoppers pen looking camouflage.

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
many hopperists like that harshness which emulate smoking. and those holes wouldn't help when milking up a bong ether. this is good idea if holes can be closed/opened as necessary.

I know it would be a dedicated 'smooth draw' mouthpiece easy to change over and you just use it if you struggle with higher temps. I personally dont mind the heat but its a very common complaint.
i think it would really improve vapour quality and less restriction is a bonus too

Go check out the vapman page people are milking bubblers just fine with the extra airflow.

MoltenTiger

Interesting idea @VapourHaze.
I feel like it might limit the vapour density, which is a big selling point.
It would be interesting to try it, and having a second mouthpiece for direct daw is not a bad idea.
I think they should just release an elongated mouthpiece with a large vapour path, somewhat like the Crafty/Mighty cooking unit, but so it fits the pen shape.

_________
I was doing some googling earlier and found this
vanbezooyen_materialica_exp.jpg

http://www.transmetazone.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2424&page=9

I believe this is what the 3D printed heater may look like.

Top Bottom