Discontinued The Grasshopper

Gandalf

I just got my Ti Grasshopper yesterday and so far it has been quite an interesting experience comparing it to the SS version.

The first thing I noticed on my Ti is that it runs noticeably hotter than the SS one I have. If you read my previous experiences with the Hopper, it took me a couple days to learn the technique that worked for me to get big clouds. But when I took the first hit off a fresh bowl in the Ti, I damn near choked on the tremendous amount of vapor I got.

My roommate experienced the exact same thing. He was having a hard time getting consistent hits off the SS version (although I could with no problem), but he's able to get consistently large hits with the Ti.

The difference was so obvious that I started to think something was wrong with the Ti (running too hot maybe?) so I played around with it at different temperatures to see if there was an issue. The Ti seemed to be producing clouds at setting 1 (although lighter ones), which surprised me, and I started to think it might be broken.

Then I packed two equally sized bowls - one in the SS and one in the Ti - and finished both bowls on setting 1. The entire time, the Ti felt harsher than the SS with hotter vapor, but when I emptied the bowls out, they were both a similar light brownish color.

So after several bowls of testing - and getting much more stoned than I normally would while trying to compare the two units - I've come to the conclusion that both are working properly, but that the Ti just runs hotter than the SS.

I'm not sure if this is a supposed performance benefit of the Ti, as @BuzzDanklin alluded to something similar in a previous FC post where he said:

I am not sure if it is from the Insulation change from my last unit, or the SS to Ti change, but the new unit *seems* to have a bit hotter vapor, which seems to translate to slightly denser clouds, and slightly quicker extraction.

It's also a possibility that some units just run hotter than others, no matter whether they're SS or Ti.

Other impressions about Ti vs SS so far:

APPEARANCE - Surprisingly, I think I like the SS version better. Because the pen clip is also SS, the unit has more uniformity to it and therefore a cleaner, more simple look. This is a matter of preference of course but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to my SS hopper.

WEIGHT - Tremendous difference here. The Ti feels substantially lighter. Again, this is a matter of preference, and I think I may prefer the slightly greater heft of the SS version.

FIT / FINISH - The SS version has smoother threading, whereas the Ti version feels coarse in comparison. A bit more pressure is needed to tighten the mouthpiece, screw in the back-end, change the temperature setting, etc. I don't mind it, just a noticeable difference.

PERFORMANCE - Other than the temperature differences I spoke about above, performance seems to be similar. Bowls are browned evenly and thoroughly, and both versions heat up in the same amount of time.

All in all, if I had to choose between the 2 at this point, I'd probably go for the SS. I'll be keeping the Ti version though and selling the SS because I have the lifetime warranty with the Ti version, whereas I purchased the SS one secondhand on eBay.

Let me know if you have any questions about the difference between the two and I'll be happy to answer. I only have the SS version until tomorrow when it gets sent off to the highest bidder.

radiant34

I just got my Ti Grasshopper yesterday and so far it has been quite an interesting experience comparing it to the SS version.

The first thing I noticed on my Ti is that it runs noticeably hotter than the SS one I have. If you read my previous experiences with the Hopper, it took me a couple days to learn the technique that worked for me to get big clouds. But when I took the first hit off a fresh bowl in the Ti, I damn near choked on the tremendous amount of vapor I got.

My roommate experienced the exact same thing. He was having a hard time getting consistent hits off the SS version (although I could with no problem), but he's able to get consistently large hits with the Ti.

The difference was so obvious that I started to think something was wrong with the Ti (running too hot maybe?) so I played around with it at different temperatures to see if there was an issue. The Ti seemed to be producing clouds at setting 1 (although lighter ones), which surprised me, and I started to think it might be broken.

Then I packed two equally sized bowls - one in the SS and one in the Ti - and finished both bowls on setting 1. The entire time, the Ti felt harsher than the SS with hotter vapor, but when I emptied the bowls out, they were both a similar light brownish color.

So after several bowls of testing - and getting much more stoned than I normally would while trying to compare the two units - I've come to the conclusion that both are working properly, but that the Ti just runs hotter than the SS.

I'm not sure if this is a supposed performance benefit of the Ti, as @BuzzDanklin alluded to something similar in a previous FC post where he said:

It's also a possibility that some units just run hotter than others, no matter whether they're SS or Ti.

APPEARANCE - Surprisingly, I think I like the SS version better. Because the pen clip is also SS, the unit has more uniformity to it and therefore a cleaner, more simple look. This is a matter of preference of course but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to my SS hopper.

WEIGHT - Tremendous difference here. The Ti feels substantially lighter. Again, this is a matter of preference, and I think I may prefer the slightly greater heft of the SS version.

FIT / FINISH - The SS version has smoother threading, whereas the Ti version feels coarse in comparison. A bit more pressure is needed to tighten the mouthpiece, screw in the back-end, change the temperature setting, etc. I don't mind it, just a noticeable difference.

PERFORMANCE - Other than the temperature differences I spoke about above, performance seems to be similar. Bowls are browned evenly and thoroughly, and both versions heat up in the same amount of time.

All in all, if I had to choose between the 2 at this point, I'd probably go for the SS. I'll be keeping the Ti version though and selling the SS because I have the lifetime warranty with the Ti version, whereas I purchased the SS one secondhand on eBay.

Let me know if you have any questions about the difference between the two and I'll be happy to answer. I only have the SS version until tomorrow when it gets sent off to the highest bidder.
can you take a side by side picture ? (if the ti is not colored) Im not sure wether the stainles steel is more glossy or the ti.

radiant34,

Vapetrees

Vaped Out

Very interesting, do you feel it uses more power and your batteries last less on the Ti or is it the same?

Vapetrees,
Reactions: Thcgos

The Stranger

Account Closed
I'm going to assume they charge your card when you pre-order but can anyone confirm or contradict this?

$150 for this seems like a steal and I don't want to get stuck paying like $300 later. But also it'd be nice if they charged after being shipped like Amazon.

The Stranger,

Gandalf

can you take a side by side picture ? (if the ti is not colored) Im not sure wether the stainles steel is more glossy or the ti.

Stainless steel is definitely more glossy. It's hard to tell from the pics but here are a couple I took of them side by side:

fLAr22a.jpg

izpRiz8.jpg

Very interesting, do you feel it uses more power and your batteries last less on the Ti or is it the same?

I don't feel like it uses any more power but it's hard to say that definitively based on the way I use my batteries (always rotating them). All I know is that when I put the batteries on the charger after a bowl, they're usually at around the same level.

JiggyJack

I'm going to assume they charge your card when you pre-order but can anyone confirm or contradict this?

$150 for this seems like a steal and I don't want to get stuck paying like $300 later. But also it'd be nice if they charged after being shipped like Amazon.
They charged me 11 months ago.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Stainless steel is definitely more glossy. It's hard to tell from the pics but here are a couple I took of them side by side:

fLAr22a.jpg

izpRiz8.jpg

I don't feel like it uses any more power but it's hard to say that definitively based on the way I use my batteries (always rotating them). All I know is that when I put the batteries on the charger after a bowl, they're usually at around the same level.
I remember Buzz said the Ti got hotter but that it cooled off faster if my memory serves me well. @BuzzDanklin Do you agree? It's good to know it doesn't use more power since I have a Ti on the way and I hope I don't end up liking my SS more lol.

@biohacker Why do you say that?

Vapetrees,

Mr. Me2

I'm pretty sure you're right and they charge at the time of the order.

radiant34

im not too sure how one grasshopper can run relatively hotter or colder compared to another one (case being ss or titanium) if the backend is a micro controller controlling the output of battery flow how can one run hotter than the other? i'm not sure i understand that logic.

radiant34,

BuzzDanklin

@Vapetrees that is true, I was noticing my TI getting hotter a bit quicker, but that could have also been due to the change in insulation that my SS unit did not have. The two units really perform very similar in my opinion, I don't get as noticable temp difference as @galdalf but I do notice it when I am looking for it. The main differences that stand out to me with the Ti are the extra scratch resistance, the lighter weight, and if you want a color

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Soun
@Vapetrees that is true, I was noticing my TI getting hotter a bit quicker, but that could have also been due to the change in insulation that my SS unit did not have. The two units really perform very similar in my opinion, I don't get as noticable temp difference as @galdalf but I do notice it when I am looking for it. The main differences that stand out to me with the Ti are the extra scratch resistance, the lighter weight, and if you want a color
Sounds good man, thanks. It's good to know both units perform well.

Vapetrees,

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
QDCZTkV.jpg
Wow my first day with the hopper. I love it, but that chamber is tiny. I could get about 0.14 grams/0.0049 ounces in there. I definitely expected some more room there. What would you say about the abv? It's pretty dark, on the edge of combustion. This was at 5, through a bong.

http://imgur.com/a/4NyYu
It looks as if you hit it fast at some point which made it get hotter quick and turned some of it darker. I find that I get nice hits from my piece when I pull slow and steady, and also evenly vaped abv. Were you hitting it hard?

lamedroid

lamert
Yeah it was probably packed tight because I wanted to get more in there. I was not hitting it hard, but I think because of the bong, the strain on the hopper is increased.

lamedroid,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
They've changed and tweaked things who knows how many times. I'd caution people against jumping to any conclusions about SS vs. Ti, because it's so likely for two vapes made at different times to have more differences than just the type of metal.
Good point, that.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Hey everybody,

I haven't heard that much about Ratchett's case on here and I was thinking about ordering one. Anybody have one and want to tell me how great it is? Also, has anyone bought his funnel that he made for the hopper? Here is the link for the case, it looks like it is pretty high quality.

http://delta3dstudios.com/leather-grasshopper-case-small/

I think it's great case!

What devices do you have? And if you vape at higher temperatures does the flavor still exist?

I have a vivape2 desktop, pax2, Firefly, mivape and Elo of those I use the Grasshopper by FAR the most, I like lower temps but generally temp step with all my devices I use them as follows roughly:

All figures are the top range of usage

90% of the time: Grasshoppper, it's just so easy, such great flavor, so fast. etc.

10% pax2 I like to mix some cannabis flower, some concentrate and some tobacco and other herbs as kind of a cigar.

10% Vivape2: Great at partys

5% Mivape, I'm not huge on concentrate but when I can pair a concentrate with flower of the same strain i load a cup in the mivape and treat myself to the caviar!

1% Firefly and Elo, both have great flavor but not really better than the grasshopper and too much effort to get it.

One thing that has certainly changed since owning a grasshopper I kind of view all portable vapes as "personal" devices. No matter what vape people have, I strongly prefer when everyone at the hang has their own. It changes the social aspect of cannabis in a way that I now prefer, living in Colorado where prohibition is over, I like that people can be open enough about their cannabis use they make the investment in tbeir own tools!

Yeah it was probably packed tight because I wanted to get more in there. I was not hitting it hard, but I think because of the bong, the strain on the hopper is increased.

Clouds and pack are inverse proportional. Pack less and you get more clouds and better flavor and no matter what always loose. I get best results with just pinching a bit of a bud and finger grinding into the grasshopper.

Top Bottom