Discontinued The Grasshopper

Hawk

I still believe this to be a connection issue. There is not a solid contact between battery and backend or there is a bad connection within the backend itself. This is probably causing arcing and the reason for the hot back-end. Also this would cause circuit issues and the battery venting we heard about.

Unfortunately I do not have a GH to look at myself.
- Can someone tell me if the backend has a spring or floating connector that connects to the battery?
- If someone can post a pic of inside the back-end.
- If the back-end contact is not a spring or floating contact, someone who is having this issue can try this. You will require a small earth magnet. Attach the earth magnet to the battery end that connects to the back-end. Then just screw the back-end on. It won't screw all the way and thats fine. The earth magnet will act like a spacer and make sure there is a strong contact between the battery and back-end contact. Then turn on and see if the back-end is still getting hot.

Hawk,

osolx26

A log would be closer to the Hopper they can be left on 24/7

I have absolutely no need for that. I just want a really nice desktop for when I have friends over. I prefer whips to bags.

check this one! small, looks like a making good clouds, cheep and 20 sec heat up time. looks legit.

I just had a grasshopper and I have no budget. No thanks, I don't need a budget vape. I wish the firefly 2 was out.

I still believe this to be a connection issue. There is not a solid contact between battery and backend or there is a bad connection within the backend itself.

I think you're right. If I push down on the backend just a little bit the red light comes on. There's something up with the connection. I do have the old backend so maybe they'll just send me a new one and I won't have to be without my grasshopper for too long.

osolx26,

zymos

The contacts on both ends of the battery are fixed- no spring or anything movable or even flexible.
I don't have the classic back end symptoms, just flashing lights and no heat, so I don't think there's much troubleshooting I can do. I do have the new style back end, BTW...

zymos,
Reactions: mindful1

Hawk

The contacts on both ends of the battery are fixed- no spring or anything movable or even flexible.
I don't have the classic back end symptoms, just flashing lights and no heat, so I don't think there's much troubleshooting I can do. I do have the new style back end, BTW...

Then this is the issue. They are relying on every battery to be the exact length and there is always some variance. You get a battery that is slightly different in size or maybe the wrapper thickness is slightly different (I have seen this) preventing a perfect contact.

One of the contacts on the GH has to be sprung loaded to keep a strong contact and account for any variances. This is common sense and I have no idea why they would not do this.

I bet if someone tried my idea off attaching an earth magnet to one end they would fix their backend issues. Maybe. :-) Of course it could be something else causing it.

Hawk,
Reactions: mindful1

Hawk

trust me, its spring loaded, with quite a powerful spring, dont make me make a video :lol:

Are you having back-end issue? The GH not you.:lol: Even if there is a spring it still must be a connection issue. Maybe with the switch components within the back-end and not the connection to the battery? I believe we have heard of back-ends falling apart before.

Hawk

The ONLY reason that the back-end will get hot is because of connection issue. There is absolutely no other reason. There is no circuits there just the switch components. And if that is the case I cannot see why GHL cannot solve this issue.

Hawk,

Vaperist

I thought I remembered reading here about someone with an "exploding" backend, where it came apart, spring and all.

I could be wrong...

anywayz, HopperLabs in yesterday's update is writing that all backend issues have been addressed and solved. so they are launching an mass production in February. sounds that they are confident that all bugs have been smashed. sure hope so.

Vaperist,

biohacker

I'll let you know, I should have mine in a week, then again no tracking number so who knows. I really hope mine doesn't suffer the same fate as yours!

biohacker,
Reactions: zymos

Thcgos

Vape Addict
It's a sound idea to have backup in every part of life... but especially for the essential stuff. My GH will have plenty of it for what seems like inevitable service downtime.

I had just unplugged and put away my Underdog!
Old faithful now heated back up. Though now that I think about it, that one went back to UD for repairs twice in its early days, but it's been working like a champ for a couple of years now.

If I need a portable back up, I do have my Solo, but I don't really like it much....

If you guys are after a portable session vape (e.g. Finish in one sitting), I can't recommend the crafty/Mighty enough. Honestly my favourite vapes right now. Powerful, efficient and super smooth Vapor.
If you don't need the small size, go with the mighty.
I don't bother with any of my other vapes these days...
But when the GH comes that will be a different story lol.

For on demand convection I've heard good things about the FireWood3 (but I haven't tried it).
Or the Firefly2 being released in the next month or so (if you can wait).

RE Desktops: I love and would recommend the volcano BUT the only desktops I've been exposed to are my volcano and EQ so I'm probably not the best equiped to advise, I just love mine.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I've got an AAir, Nano, and LSV, and am thinking of picking up the GH as my next heavy hitting portable! Was looking at the Mighty or possibly the Zion, but the size of the GH can't be beat and the performance still seems close to excellent.

Can anyone say how this beast holds up to whatever you throw at it? Like can I rip and rip and rip and not have to worry about cooldowns (I'm aware of the hot tip, but through water would it matter?), or overheating the heater, or working the batteries too hard? (I know about proper draining/charging). I feel like I can treat my Arizer Air like shit (which I don't), and it would still continue to throw love at me. Just looking for something similar in the GH.

I would most likely order the SS as my funds aren't easily acquirable, hahaha.
It says estimated shipping is March...How far off the spectrum do you think that is...I feel like with the way things are going, May sounds more appropriate? If there is no way to know, that is fine too, just wondering if anyone had a ballpark idea of how they're holding up with incoming orders.

Thanks again, looking forward to possibly ordering one of these soon.

AJS,

osolx26

There is most definitely not a spring there. Seriously. Go grab your remote and take the battery cover off. Right there, you can see the springs. Now, take the backend of the grasshopper off. No springs. Get it? Good. Moving on.

One thing I want out of a portable is stealth and, honestly, portability (otherwise what's the point of getting a portable?). The crafty and mighty are just way too big to be true portable vapes. They're portable in the sense that you don't need to have them plugged in to work, sure, but can you really take them anywhere and be even slightly stealthy? Not really, especially not with the mighty. The firefly 1 is big and unwieldy also. That's part of the reason I didn't get it in the first place. Maybe the 2 will be better. It's also why I don't like some of the other portable vapes out there. Sure, you don't have to have them plugged in to work but if you put them in your pocket they're huge and it looks like you're trying to hide something. I don't live in a legal state so I need to have everything in a small and stealthy package when I'm out and about. Now, that's gone. I've still got my pax but that thing reeks.

If I wanted a vape for sessions with huge clouds with the boys, I'd get a desktop and not a portable.

osolx26,

Vaperist

Can anyone say how this beast holds up to whatever you throw at it? Like can I rip and rip and rip and not have to worry about cooldowns?

you can turn your GG off at the middle of your draw and continuing to suck a cold air trough it. if you feel like its body is getting too hot.

Vaperist,

osolx26

If you push on the part that supposedly makes contact with the battery nothing happens. If there were a spring there, wouldn't it go back a bit? Maybe they started putting springs now but mine sure as hell does not has a spring.

osolx26,
Top Bottom