Discontinued The Grasshopper

grokit

well-worn member
Yeah, that's normal. If you don't use it for 18 seconds it shuts off automatically.
What I've noticed is that if it shuts off automatically, it stays on some kind of weird standby (doesn't seem to turn back on by inhalation), so you still have to click it completely off before you click it back on again.

As opposed to clicking it off while the blue light is still on, it's all the way off in this instance so you just click it once to turn it back on. Is that how everybody else's work, of the ones that seem to be working properly?

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
What I've noticed is that if it shuts off automatically, it stays on some kind of weird standby (doesn't seem to turn back on by inhalation), so you still have to click it completely off before you click it back on again.

As opposed to clicking it off while the blue light is still on, it's all the way off in this instance so you just click it once to turn it back on. Is that how everybody else's work, of the ones that seem to be working properly?
Yes. Red flashes on standby. Click off then back on to start again.

Averyminya

Grasshopper Backer
I'd have posted today but USPS is the bane of my existence. Package delayed because they suck :p
But yes, it's normal to go off after not drawing. It's curious that they don't mention it in the manual, even though it's pretty clear on the website.

Kalessin

I really wonder why it doesn't? I mean, is there some good engineering reason for it not to? Especially with how much power it apparently still draws in stand-by..

Kalessin,
Reactions: grokit

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I really wonder why it doesn't? I mean, is there some good engineering reason for it not to? Especially with how much power it apparently still draws in stand-by..
I think the click off from standby then back on resets the timer, clicking you hear faintly:D

Custom Flower Hardware,
I've had this little guy for a little over 24 hours now. No issues so far! The dial moves nicely but doesn't move accidentally.

I've been leaving it in the charge cable while I'm home - I did not receive the spare battery that I ordered. I'm under the assumption that they're waiting for a new batch of batteries and have opted to get more hoppers in the hands of people instead of getting people spare batteries.

Two years of waiting, and now I hold it in my hand! It definitely feels worth it. It's solid. Yes, it gets warm after a hit or two. I don't feel it's meant for sessioning, but can pull it off in a pinch.

It's perfect for me, though! I think I'll need to get a smaller bubbler - my Jet is too much bong and it seems pretty hard to get a satisfying rip.

DirtD1V3R

So, like a good amount of people I am waiting on my GH- I am an early pre-order- and while waiting I bought a new bubbler to go with the GH. I bought a torus recycler from SSS on DHG and I am wondering if this was a mistake? Does anybody on here think that using a bubbler like this would be capable of pushing pressure/air back through if you stop pulling and do not pull the GH? I know that the manual says do not blow back into the GH so I am wondering if this style of bubbler would be capable of forcing air back through the GH that may damage the internals?

DirtD1V3R,
Reactions: btka

ZC

The first comment there is on-point. Backers aren't customers, they didn't pre-order the product. They donated, and are being given a gift to "thank" them for their donation.

That's what crowdfunding is, that's how perks and rewards work. You aren't guaranteed a damn thing. So getting the BBB or any other legal body involved isn't going to accomplish anything, except possibly waste some of hopper lab's time.

People need to understand this about crowdfunding. It's a great tool, but you have to be aware of the gamble you make when you put your money down, and that the gamble doesn't end just because the project reached its funding goal.

Likes2vape

Even if it succeeded, wouldnt this slow down production. How selfish, like... fuck everyone still waiting in line.
How? The BBB can not shut you down all it is, is a consumer complaint resolution/rating service and nowadays they don't carry much weight. People are much more likely to go to Yelp or the Internet in general to seek/post reviews.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Crowdfunding is basically a donation. Some folks probably have never donated to a crowd fund before so they don't understand what it really is.

Hopefully most of you will be receiving your hoppers soon.

Bass Vaper

My buddy's hopper was received by HL last Tue for hot back end issues, plus crazy light issues. They replied to him today, "back end and battery need replaced". Sending back to him tomorrow.

Loop.

Averyminya

Grasshopper Backer
Got my Hopper in the mail!

Aaaaaaaaaaaand guess what! It works! Even crazier? I kept my mouthpiece here, as per usual (so they say, I guess for cleanliness?).

My Grasshopper came with a mouthpiece on it :) So I have 2 now! I will test the freezer thing someone asked about, now that I can.

In any case, the new mouthpiece is thicker. Where it tapers off you can see literally millimeters of difference. Here's a pic: http://imgur.com/fMue1cb
fMue1cb.jpg

So, that's interesting! Otherwise, so glad to have gotten it back. I like the Air and all... but you know...

Edit: Someone asked about a type of bubbler. Anything should work, but I 100% makes sure every single time to remove the Grasshopper completely. As long as you don't leave the GH on the piece you should be set.

Modnote: Edited to display image

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
In any case, the new mouthpiece is thicker. Where it tapers off you can see literally millimeters of difference. Here's a pic: http://imgur.com/fMue1cb
I'm not quite following from that picture - how has the mouthpiece changed? Thicker material? Different taper ratio? More pictures please!!! This is the first report I've seen of a change to the mouthpiece

Delta3DStudios,
Reactions: ZC

Averyminya

Grasshopper Backer

@Ratchett If you need more let me know I'm happy to provide, speculation on this will be fun :) The silicone mouthpiece fits on both the same, but in the video I talk a lot about the variations. From what it looks like, the original mouthpiece is shaved down, so that the edge is refined to just a few millimeters from where the hole starts. It also is a couple centimeters lower because of what I just described.

The new mouthpiece seems as though they didn't give it that process, and it gives the illusion of having a different hole diameter. I think it is the same size, and just isn't "shaved" lol :). Of course, I don't comment on this IN the video, because that would be smart and productive... xD The lengths and widths don't affect how the silicone mouthpiece goes on though.

Edit: Ugh it looks so bad. Hopefully HD processes soon, if not I'll do another one with the other side of the camera.

Last edited:

TheWhisper

There another report on Reddit of a grasshopper battery venting. Poor guy has gone through 3 replacement units so far!

More than anything else, this will be GHL's kiss of death (if it keeps occurring) unless they acknowledge it and lay out a plan for preventing it.

TheWhisper,
Reactions: steama

TheWhisper

@Ratchett If you need more let me know I'm happy to provide, speculation on this will be fun :) The silicone mouthpiece fits on both the same, but in the video I talk a lot about the variations. From what it looks like, the original mouthpiece is shaved down, so that the edge is refined to just a few millimeters from where the hole starts. It also is a couple centimeters lower because of what I just described.

The new mouthpiece seems as though they didn't give it that process, and it gives the illusion of having a different hole diameter. I think it is the same size, and just isn't "shaved" lol :). Of course, I don't comment on this IN the video, because that would be smart and productive... xD The lengths and widths don't affect how the silicone mouthpiece goes on though.

Edit: Ugh it looks so bad. Hopefully HD processes soon, if not I'll do another one with the other side of the camera.

I wonder if this is a sign that their quality control is slipping / the factories are easing up the tolerances of the machined pieces.

Alternatively, they may have redesigned the mouthpiece slightly.

TheWhisper,
Top Bottom