Discontinued The Grasshopper

grokit

well-worn member
Man the reviews are all over the place on this thing, it's hard to know what to think. Regardless of the rate of failure, what I want to know is do they perform consistently from unit to unit. I am wondering does the exterior of the working units heat up the same, & do they vape the same from unit to unit. All I want from my gh is the ability to occasionally crank some huge one-hitters from a bowl. I get 2 big hits from a firefly (usually more like 1 plus 2 half-hits), so I am thinking 4-5 hits with the gh. The silicon lip condom is good for water tools, and for passing around when necessary but it doesn't fit in the case so it will get lost. Meaning I will leave it at home with the water tool and use the gh as a solo device when out and about. I love my home vapes through water, so I doubt the condom thing will see much use at all now that I think about it. I only vape in groups when I have company for the most part, so the gh should work out well for me. Like most portables, I wouldn't want to rely on one of these for my main vaporizer at home.

Last edited:
All I want from my gh is the ability to crank some huge one-hitters from a bowl, and to be able to session with a water tool. I get 2 big hits from a firefly bowl (usually more like 1 plus 2 half-hits), so I am thinking 4-5 hits with the gh.
If you're looking to rip 3-5 quick, big hits with a watertool you'll be fine. It heats up and produces vapor very fast, and the body only gets hot after prolonged use (cant miss it ~10 hits in my use).

grokit

well-worn member
If you're looking to rip 3-5 quick, big hits with a watertool you'll be fine. It heats up and produces vapor very fast, and the body only gets hot after prolonged use (cant miss it ~10 hits in my use).
I'm more thinking click it on, take a big draw, then click it off before done. Repeat throughout the day, but not back to back hits. For the most part, there would be significant breaks in between.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I fill it with a half teaspoon measuring spoon, and lightly fill it with 3/4 of 1/2 tsp (I filled it, then emptied its contents into the measuring spoon). There is zero resistance hitting the Grasshopper, it's one of its great features, so I'm pretty sure it's not packed too tightly.

For comparison I only use about 1/4 tsp in my Solo.

So, with my Solo I use 1/4 tsp over 30 mins to peak at a 6ish, and I'm good for about 3 hrs.

With my Grasshoppers I use 3/4 of 1/2 tsp over 25-30 mins to peak around a 3 or 4, and am good for about an hour and a half.

So yeah, I'm using more for less in the Grasshopper, compared to the Solo.

I just want to be clear that I didn't come here to shit on this thing.

I backed it on IGG in November of 2013, pre-ordered a second, and got three friends to pre-order as well. I've been a positive supporter on reddit's sub for the vape while waiting through the delays up to release. I've really looked forward to its release, and was super-excited when usage and review videos started popping up.

When I got my orders I was dismayed with their performance and have been reaching out to the community and the manufacturer since, trying to find if I've got duds or if this is just how this thing works.

Hopper Labs says this is just how it works, so that's kind of where I'm at.

Yeah glad you joined here to share another perspectivthets important to say the least and we all appreciate it.

The fact that you're using more here than in Solo is a bit troubling as well, have you tried using less for comparison sake? And also, turning the Hopper at least up to the same 401 degrees F that the Solo gets at level 6? Or even the 392F it gets at level 5?

If the GH temps are super accurate, it would seem like you're just not getting everything out of the herbs, at least compared to when you use your Solo... Good luck with all this dude

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
I'm more thinking click it on, take a big draw, then click it off before done. Repeat throughout the day, but not back to back hits. For the most part, there would be significant breaks in between.
same, if anything I'd have 2 semi-consecutive hits but that's really it.

as for it not getting you high enough I would imagine the fact that you still smoke might come in to play since vaping is a different experience, though you can compare to the air so who knows. I just hope the kinks get ironed out real quick

mephisto

@grokit you are right on the money with your assessment. 2-3 good pulls, turn off before completing inhalation. You will feel the warmth/vapor punching you in the speedbag, and then the catch in your throat clicks and you exhale a monster hit. Least that is how my first unit worked. My 2nd grey ti unit arrived today, so while I wait for Caroline to instruct me what to do with the first hopper, I will fire up the new one and see if it is an ass-kicker as well.
Hang on fellow backers, the love is coming........

Old School

Vape13man
@Titties_and_Weed I think your just used to a different style or technique of vaping... coming at it from the opposite end of the spectrum.... I know I made a "Kungfu" reference earlier about patience young Grasshopper..... but really that is probably better for vaporizers than lean more towards relying on conduction or a hybrid combination there of..... Not so much for the likes of a pure almost 100% convection vape like the Grasshopper.... for it we need to alter our inhalation technique or method for consumption....

Basically to sum it all up your Solo is better as a sipper... taking your time enjoying a nice casual inhalation session...

The Grasshopper is a ripper not a sipper..... you need to rip it rather aggressively during the 1st 2/3 of your inhalation... click it off and finish clearing out all excess heat this technique should prevent it from getting too hot..... rapid air flow will equal quick thick extraction then you can slow it up for the evacuation portion.... enjoy...:peace:

I agree with others also try the same 1/4 tsp and RIP IT.....! :rockon:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Man the reviews are all over the place on this thing, it's hard to know what to think. Regardless of the rate of failure, what I want to know is do they perform consistently from unit to unit. I am wondering does the exterior of the working units heat up the same, do they vape the same from unit to unit? All I want from my gh is the ability to crank some huge one-hitters from a bowl from time to time. I get 2 big hits from a firefly bowl (usually more like 1 plus 2 half-hits), so I am thinking 4-5 hits with the gh. The silicon lip condom is good for water tools, and for passing around when necessary but it doesn't fit in the case so it will get lost. Meaning I will leave it at home with the water tool and use the gh as a solo device when out and about. And I love my home vapes through water, so I doubt the condom thing will see much use at all now that I think about it. I only vape in groups when I have company for the most part, so the gh should work out well for me. Like most portables, I wouldn't want to rely on one of these for my main vaporizer at home.

I have a Firefly as well as a GH. If you like the FF (I did) you'll LOVE the GH. Of the vapes I've used, the FF is the most fair comparison (convection, start up) but the GH blows it right out of the water, easier to use, clean and more consistent great flavor without needing any technique. From what I've read, it seems the portable convection vape that is best for sessions is the Crafty, never tried one but would love to, but again very different experience, more than a minute heat up time etc. It seems the way to go for group settings and sessions with a portable is either Crafty or Mivape (assuming they start shipping soon as well but it seems like when it works it's impressive). For me however 90% of the time I want to consume cannabis I grab a grasshopper (runner up is a spliff in my pax 2 5% followed by an actual spliff 3% then everything else (I use my GH when I hit my bong so that's in the 90). I would also say, like the apple watch, the GH is better when you're friends also have one. I got to hang with a friend that already received his when I was traveling and its definitely a better experience when everyone has their own.

So @Titties_and_Weed, are you clicking the GH and leaving it on for 20 straight minutes? Are you keeping it plugged in? I can't imagine the battery lasting that long. I also can't imagine why you would do that since it heats up in 5 seconds and there's no benefit to the vapor since it only vapes when you draw. Maybe I read that wrong, I can't imagine having mine on continuosly for 2.3 minutes let alone 23 ....

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have a Firefly as well as a GH. If you like the FF (I did) you'll LOVE the GH. Of the vapes I've used, the FF is the most fair comparison (convection, start up) but the GH blows it right out of the water, easier to use, clean and more consistent great flavor without needing any technique. From what I've read, it seems the portable convection vape that is best for sessions is the Crafty, never tried one but would love to, but again very different experience, more than a minute heat up time etc. It seems the way to go for group settings and sessions with a portable is either Crafty or Mivape (assuming they start shipping soon as well but it seems like when it works it's impressive). For me however 90% of the time I want to consume cannabis I grab a grasshopper (runner up is a spliff in my pax 2 5% followed by an actual spliff 3% then everything else (I use my GH when I hit my bong so that's in the 90). I would also say, like the apple watch, the GH is better when you're friends also have one. I got to hang with a friend that already received his when I was traveling and its definitely a better experience when everyone has their own.

So @Titties_and_Weed, are you clicking the GH and leaving it on for 20 straight minutes? Are you keeping it plugged in? I can't imagine the battery lasting that long. I also can't imagine why you would do that since it heats up in 5 seconds and there's no benefit to the vapor since it only vapes when you draw. Maybe I read that wrong, I can't imagine having mine on continuosly for 2.3 minutes let alone 23 ....

Yes he did say he was turning it off in between hits I believe, minute or three in between them.

Yours doesn't get hot like this right? You're are longest user kinda, still going strong for the most part I presume (despite having the back end issue) ? They need to do whatever they did for yours and replicate that somehow

Also not to venture OT (as if this thread could, and I'm still talkin Hopper) speaking of strong session vapes, have you checked out the Zion thread yet brother? imo would work better as a step up from GH sharingwise, though Crafty/Mighty probably a bit more automatic but more constant cooking less pure convection despite their power. Unsure about mivape in this regard yet... And I'd be curious to hear your take on it as well, another amazing Firefly step up for sure at the very least

SmokinMagic

@Titties_and_Weed perhaps this will be of some use to you. I calculated the temperature you are vaping at to be about 338 degrees fahrenheit at setting 2.5 on the grasshopper. As you can see, you are leaving out some of the cannabinoids as well as vaping well below the temperature you are probably using with your solo.

I also wholeheartedly agree with what @natural farmer said about using it at higher temps to keep the body of the grasshopper cooler, as strange as that sounds.

I would really like you to try some of the ideas and techniques people have suggested, and then come back and post your results. Also, you should post a picture of your herb before and after vaping, because it sounds to me that you have some very green and non-vaped AVB.

fhbfwVG.png

jojo0420

Cloud Chaser
As someone who has used the GH as my PRIMARY vaporizer since I received it nearly 3 weeks ago I have a few comments directed towards @Titties_and_Weed and some of the suggestions directed to him from other FCs (particularly @Old School you nailed the GH usage model.)

First, as just pointed out by @SmokinMagic , you are vaping at very low temps. Even the 4 you say you finish a load at is only 374F. If most of your session is at 2.5-3 you are missing out on some important cannabinoids. Or at least some volume of the available.

Second, use a water tool if available! Crank the GH up to 4 on the first hit, then after a couple there crank it to 4.5. If you're not medicated by then something else is at cause.

The body gets pretty warm after extended sessions, but never hot. I've used 3 units now, none ever got too hot to handle safely. If yours does there is an issue.
I believe @natural farmer has the right idea on this one; shorter, hotter sessions are better.

I mostly use my GH through water, but do use it dry everyday. And I always manage to get high with it. I space my hits out, one every minute or two. But at 3.5-3.8 not 2.5. I usually don't use the condom for these sessions, it's not needed at that rate.

Also, on an unrelated note.
Since I've had a working Ti and SS unit to compare I've noticed a difference, it's mostly as others have mentioned. The Ti unit gets hotter quicker, but also cools off faster. The first rip out of the SS unit isn't as hot as the Ti, IMO. Once you get to the second hit this is mute. This only really applies when the unit cold.

I would really like you to try some of the ideas and techniques people have suggested, and then come back and post your results. Also, you should post a picture of your herb before and after vaping, because it sounds to me that you have some very green and non-vaped AVB.
I definitely will. I have one charging now that I'll use later with a smaller amount and a higher temperature.

Everyone here has been great with input and I appreciate it tremendously.

Poostuff

Please delete
I think it has a lot to do with the way the laws in the U.S. (and even down to the specific state) are written. Pretty much everything carries a Prop 65 "maybe you might one day in the distant future get cancer because some mice did a long long long time ago under different circumstances." I'm surprised my toilet paper doesn't have one too.
I wasn't trying to turn anyone off I'd still buy one, if you're like me you won't read the instructions until after you've used it anyway.

Poostuff,

AgentXero

As someone who has used the GH as my PRIMARY vaporizer since I received it nearly 3 weeks ago I have a few comments directed towards @Titties_and_Weed and some of the suggestions directed to him from other FCs (particularly @Old School you nailed the GH usage model.)

First, as just pointed out by @SmokinMagic , you are vaping at very low temps. Even the 4 you say you finish a load at is only 374F. If most of your session is at 2.5-3 you are missing out on some important cannabinoids. Or at least some volume of the available.

Second, use a water tool if available! Crank the GH up to 4 on the first hit, then after a couple there crank it to 4.5. If you're not medicated by then something else is at cause.

The body gets pretty warm after extended sessions, but never hot. I've used 3 units now, none ever got too hot to handle safely. If yours does there is an issue.
I believe @natural farmer has the right idea on this one; shorter, hotter sessions are better.

I mostly use my GH through water, but do use it dry everyday. And I always manage to get high with it. I space my hits out, one every minute or two. But at 3.5-3.8 not 2.5. I usually don't use the condom for these sessions, it's not needed at that rate.

Since I've had a working Ti and SS unit to compare I've noticed a difference, it's mostly as others have mentioned. The Ti unit gets hotter quicker, but also cools off faster. The first rip out of the SS unit isn't as hot as the Ti, IMO. Once you get to the second hit this is mute. This only really applies when the unit cold.

So would you say still overall the Ti is the better unit to have? Do you notice any taste or efficiency difference?

AgentXero,

StonedPerk

Light up the world

Can kief be vaped with th hopper? Can u make a youtube video and post it?

StonedPerk,

jojo0420

Cloud Chaser
So would you say still overall the Ti is the better unit to have? Do you notice any taste or efficiency difference?

My personal preference is the Ti, but mostly for asthetics and the better feel of the matte finish. The SS Hopper feels like a surgical instrument, where the color Ti model feels more comfortable.
No efficiency differences that I've noticed that are significant. They both taste great.

Can kief be vaped with th hopper? Can u make a youtube video and post it?
I'm not sure it can be vaped straight, probably mixed with some herb, or sandwiched in the middle. If I had access to the volume of kief necessary to fill the chamber I'd give it a try, but as I don't save it and can't buy it anywhere I don't think this one will happen.

smutman

SmutmanMDCXX
I dont have a GH so i can only speculate, but i have a firefly, and my understanding with instant convection vapes (like GH and the Firefly) is that they perform at their best in short sprints. You can go from a turned off vape, to a completed hit in 30 seconds. Session vapes are meant to constantly distribute their heat because their engineers who designed them knew that people would be using them for 10-30 minutes continuously. the grasshopper serves a different purpose, its for the person who wants to take 3-10 hits every hour to stay evenly medicated while on a hike, at the beach, at a concert (where potability and stealth are important)

In my opinion instant convection vapes are like sprinters and session vapes are like long distance runners. You take a sprinter and make him run long distance he is going to get overheated, his muscles are trained to produce explosive bursts really fast. vice versa if you take a session vape like the solo and try to make him sprint ( like trying to take a hit after 30 seconds of heating) you are going to find yourself breathing out luke warm air. If you want a vape that distributes heat well, its likely that its also going to take awhile to heat up(because the heat is constantly being dissipated "well")

I wouldn't say its an overpriced one hitter judging by the reviews i have read. I would say that it is an underpriced multi- hitter that is misunderstood by some as a session vape. i mean if you wanna smoke at home for 30 minutes straight, just get a desktop.
Thank you for answering my question. That's what I figured, people's misunderstanding

smutman,

WoodyWeedPecker

I have a question.

This is the first passthrough vaporizer I will have, so any input from previous experiences are welcome. I know you can use the grasshopper while plugged in. Turning it almost into a desktop. But for this the battery needs to be partially charged.

So I was thinking of maybe using the Grasshopper at home very often with the passthrough to save on battery. Using the other batteries when outside (or looking to move around the house) as usual.

So my idea was ordering a couple of batteries and keep ONE for the passthrough vaporization at home. Would I still need to charge this battery a lot of times. It will see a lot of use.

So I wonder how would that work. Will my passthrough battery works indefinitely for home use? Will I still need to recharge it many times? Is it a good idea?

Last edited:

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I have a question.

This is the first passthrough vaporizer I will have, so any input from previous experiences are welcome. I know you can use the grasshopper while plugged in. Turning it almost into a desktop. But for this the battery needs to be partially charged.

So I was thinking of maybe using the Grasshopper at home very often with the passthrough to save on battery. Using the other batteries when outside (or looking to move around the house) as usual.

So my idea was ordering a couple of batteries and keep ONE for the passthrough vaporization at home. Would I still need to charge this battery a lot of times. It will see a lot of use.

So I wonder how would that work. Will my passthrough battery works indefinitely for home use? Will I still need to recharge it many times? Is it a good idea?

Not sure, but it seems like a battery that's constantly being topped off like that would have a pretty short life. So if you do it I think it's a good idea to keep that battery separate. It might be worth it, depends on how long a battery would last doing that. Certainly worth a shot...?

KidFated.

Unknown Member
I would say you'd still need to charge it, but my guess is occasionally. Might kill off the battery's life span though in the long run, but doesn't sound like you're that worried if you'll have more batteries.

Edit-beat to the punch

Hawk

Not sure, but it seems like a battery that's constantly being topped off like that would have a pretty short life. So if you do it I think it's a good idea to keep that battery separate. It might be worth it, depends on how long a battery would last doing that. Certainly worth a shot...?

Topping off is better for these types of batteries and will make them last longer. These are not LiPo's. You do not want them to get to low. In fact its not good for them to be drained past 3.4v. Hopefully the logic in the GH checks voltage level. If it is allowing the battery to discharge below 3.4v then its majorly reducing the batteries life. This is why e-cig mods shutoff once battery hits 3.4v. Better to keep them charged.

Top Bottom