Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumdiggy84

I really think you pack too much in those poor FFs… :rolleyes:

I hear you but I tried .05... but even with a top screen, the herb will still fly around the screen and create mess (and less overall vapor of course)... To each his own, but I find the FF is made to "hit and quit" (that's why I've named mine Ms.Quit lol)

Putting in less than .1 to me is counter-intuitive, it will create more work/maintenance

My suggestion would be to use .1 or more and once your medicated, just come back for more later...I know my Ms.Quit is definitely patient, willing, and certainly able...:2c:

Yeah, that is definitely a full pack!

So I'm curious... How much are you putting in to the FF bowl? before the space capsule method I was still using the same amount, but closer to .15 to .20

Do you know how much deeper the vaporblunt 2 screen is compared to the arizer? Even though they cost more, this may be the perfect screen to use for me, if it reaches the lid and makes a seal. Can anyone post a pic of the vaporblunt 2 screen sitting in the FF? Also in my opinion, I feel that there is no way that the added screen will damage this device.

I don't have a vaporblunt 2, but i just priced the 2pack of screens and they are $30...based on using the arizer screens I already have, I cant see how it could fit better anyways... I'm good with these and they're alot cheaper (especially for the "pull and pop" ability when you're traveling on the go). I'm going to rotate about 10 of them (between using and cleaning)... at $15 a pop for those vaporblunt screens, that won't be an option...just imagine losing one.. OH!

Last edited by a moderator:

EveryDayAmnesiac

So I'm curious... How much are you putting in to the FF bowl? before the space capsule method I was still using the same amount, but closer to .15 to .20

I'm not sure the exact weight of the herbs I'm using but there is always space for more in my FF bowl. I don't think you're overpacking... but I'd say you are definitely near the limit. :shrug:

Whatever works! :tup:

I don't have a vaporblunt 2, but i just priced the 2pack of screens and they are $30...based on using the arizer screens I already have, I cant see how it could fit better anyways... I'm good with these and they're alot cheaper (especially for the "pull and pop" ability when you're traveling on the go). I'm going to rotate about 10 of them (between using and cleaning)... at $15 a pop for those vaporblunt screens, that won't be an option...just imagine losing one.. OH!
I went ahead and ordered the arizer screens. Thanks for your help! Did you happen to read my post....
I'm ordering the arizer screens now. Since I use just a pinch of finely ground herb at a time I'll either use a top screen or I might try to form a screened dome to go underneath the basket. In other words, the basket will sit on the dome which would then raise it up to the lid and make a seal. In theory I shouldn't have to remove the dome and cleaning the FF will be so easy! Maybe someone can try this for me since I don't currently have a basket screen? Since this is a convection vape I have no doubt that this will still create awesome vapor. I'm very excited about this!
Is there a way you could try this technique for me?

EveryDayAmnesiac

bo2z.jpg

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
We have lost a great rep.
"Thank you for your email! This is Shelby with Firefly’s friendly Customer Support Team. I do apologize, but Sarah is no longer with the company and is exploring new career opportunities. However, I am more than happy to assist you from here on out!"

Boo. Bummer.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: mckeen

EveryDayAmnesiac

My M102 is on the way out, I've contemplated grabbing a new one but the Firefly has caught my eye. I see she pumps as far as production but how does the ff go as far as adapting to water?

Water adaptation has not yet been seen. I am dubious about the possibility, but would love to be pleasantly surprised.

If anyone can do it, it'll be @mvapes!

Would be nice to see another FC expert get on board!

EveryDayAmnesiac,
I just remembered that I had a vapir NO2 screen lying around. I just used it as a top screen/dome and it worked beautifully! The vapir NO2 dome acts like a button, easy to put in an take out. Just take a look at it if you haven't seen one before. I will use the vapir NO2 screen pushed into the Arizer screen to form an egg space capsule once the Arizer screens get here. I can't wait!!

mitchgo61

I have found no downside to this method... space capsules:chill: (dome screen) have solved it all. I am also using .1 w/o a top screen now... I've also removed the bottom screen like rsqemt911 said, which now it does fit "flush" ..the vapor it produces is unmatched... throw a space capsule in your space coffin:cool:, and you wont go back:borg:...

I took out the bottom screen but the Arizer basket still isn't flush with the edge of the bowl....sticks out a teeny bit. I may give this a shot later today and see how it works. For the record though, I'm still nervous. :\

bumdiggy84

I went ahead and ordered the arizer screens. Thanks for your help! Did you happen to read my post....

Is there a way you could try this technique for me?

It already fits almost flush...that's why its so beautiful...you can wedge the basket in the lid, but it makes the basket uneven..

what you wanna do is cut and size a screen to "seal" your "pinch" inside the basket...

after someone gave me the idea to cut the screen...I went back to a "naked" bowl (no basket), with a customized cut screen...(the ones for the FF are too small) its a more tastier hit, wit "minimal" clean up...between the lid and the bowl, we all know the lid we would rather keep clean if we could only pick one...the bowl is easy to clean... blow, swab, spin screen, blow, spin, blow, swab...lol

now that we know we can enter the war zone with a full metal jacket...a screen or basket/screen cut/customized to your liking will be key.

Im finding that when Im arround the house or going out and only need her for a one and done, I'll go naked/top... but for on the go, numerous quick fills etc, I'll go space capsule (basket)....

top screen is essential if you dont want your lid to get messy...

If you wanna use a pinch, just size your screen to fit in the ff bowl, or basket, no need to lift it from underneath

I just remembered that I had a vapir NO2 screen lying around. I just used it as a top screen/dome and it worked beautifully! The vapir NO2 dome acts like a button, easy to put in an take out. Just take a look at it if you haven't seen one before. I will use the vapir NO2 screen pushed into the Arizer screen to form an egg space capsule once the Arizer screens get here. I can't wait!!

probably wont be enough room for both, but that might be the perfect screen to use as a basket (upside down) for smaller amounts... I think I might order some just to play with the idea...packe of 20 for $15...

I thought I was done....well I was...It's you guys,...u still got me tweeking lol

I appreciate you all

Is that black, or am I high?

Modnote: 3 back to back posts merged. Please avoid back to back posts by using the edit feature. This is your second warning for back to back posts today.

bumdiggy84

I took out the bottom screen but the Arizer basket still isn't flush with the edge of the bowl....sticks out a teeny bit. I may give this a shot later today and see how it works. For the record though, I'm still nervous. :\

My first FF was a dud...and If im not mistaken you had a dud... Mines wouldn't charge right and was giving funny flashing colors while it was supposed to be charging, and they replaced it

, yours had something to do with heat, and coincidentally it was after you used a screen...

I've been using screens/baskets for the 2nd day now..no problems at all...

your dud, wasnt b/c of your screen....have fun my sun! :leaf::bigleaf::mmmm:

bumdiggy84,
probably wont be enough room for both, but that might be the perfect screen to use as a basket (upside down) for smaller amounts... I think I might order some just to play with the idea...packe of 20 for $15...

I thought I was done....well I was...It's you guys,...u still got me tweeking lol

I appreciate you all
I will definitely let everyone know if the vapir NO2 screen, combined with the arizer screen is a win. I'm sure I can trim the vapir NO2 screen to fit snugly in the arizer screen. I did try the vapir NO2 screen used as a basket with a stock FF screen on top and it worked beautifully. Nice small load for single usage.

Volteric

You could but those screens are slightly bigger in diameter, so you would have to cut them...I find a top screen is only required if you use .1 of fine grind.... .1 of med grind, or stuffing .2 fine gring, you can start off w/o top screen, but as you get closer to the end, then top screen is recommended...

or just put top screen on all the time and enjoy, its not harming anything to start with it on

ywviBSA.jpg

up6fkF2.jpg

bowl to the left is .2 fine grind, bowl on right is .1 med grind

Just ordered. I'm curious how to make these into on-the-go pods-where the basket has a lid or top for easy swapping and travel. Any ideas?

Volteric,

mitchgo61

your dud, wasnt b/c of your screen....have fun my sun!

I guess I wouldn't call it a "dud" because it was more of a super-powered overheating dynamo. The opposite of a dud, but just as sub-optimal. As for whether the screen caused it, it's still a mystery. Volteric duplicating the screen->combust thing twice makes me wonder. Anyway...

So I swallowed my fear and gave the basket method a shot, both with and without a top screen. (To be blunt: don't bother without using a top screen...because the best reason to try this is to mitigate debris mess, and you'll get plenty of that if you leave the basket uncovered.) It worked quite well, and, phew, no combustion. Not even running particularly hot...just a bit more than usual. In fact it did a more even cook. I used a finer grind than i would normally put in the FF...and filled it to the top and gave it a moderate tamp-down. Then laid a screen on it, one of the FF screens...then put the lid on. The basket/screen combo pretty much touches the inside of the window ring where the vapor paths start. (A couple times it all stuck to the lid when I popped it off. Pretty funny. Not sure if the magnets were the culprit.)

Interesting method...for me, though, the cons are more significant than the pros...

PROS:
  • Little or no mess, but you still get a resin on the window that'll need iso.
  • Keeps debris out of the screen/bowl lower edge, if that worries you.
  • Allows you to use a finer grind.
  • Cooks more evenly.
  • Can get bigger hits more reliably thanks to the grind, if that's important to you.
  • Can make traveling with the FF a lot cleaner and faster.

CONS:
  • Adds significant restriction to the draw, thanks to pulling air through the Arizer basket (which sides are touching the sides of the bowl, giving you only the bottom of the basket for airflow...though this may be why the material cooks so evenly.)
  • Seriously degraded taste, to me. Like, seriously. Material I was using has a signature taste that is HEAVEN in the FF or other vapes, but was all but a ghost with the basket. It added a metallic taste, which surprised me. (Never notice it on the VTE.)
  • You can't see the glow, for the most part. This is 50/50 aesthetic and utility...it helps to see when the glow kicks in. Not easy with the basket/screen combo.
  • Though it seemed to run hotter, I still couldn't extract the last good hit from the session. But it did extract one good hit more than usual for the FF. (So a PUSH for that one!)
For me, the taste is a deal-breaker. I would love the FF to be less messy, and I still think there's a top-screen-ish solution that will work for me someday, and I love the idea of the bowl staying clean...but the charm of the FF is that smooth, natural taste, obviously achieved through fewer encumbrances in the vapor path. Clean is great, but my FF flavor is what it's all about. The trade-off just isn't worth it to me.

Cool idea though, and YMMV and all that. Some folks may not have the same taste experience I did.

[URL='http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-the-firefly-vaporizer-thread.16628/'] [/URL]

Volteric

I guess I wouldn't call it a "dud" because it was more of a super-powered overheating dynamo. The opposite of a dud, but just as sub-optimal. As for whether the screen caused it, it's still a mystery. Volteric duplicating the screen->combust thing twice makes me wonder. Anyway...

So I swallowed my fear and gave the basket method a shot, both with and without a top screen. (To be blunt: don't bother without using a top screen...because the best reason to try this is to mitigate debris mess, and you'll get plenty of that if you leave the basket uncovered.) It worked quite well, and, phew, no combustion. Not even running particularly hot...just a bit more than usual. In fact it did a more even cook. I used a finer grind than i would normally put in the FF...and filled it to the top and gave it a moderate tamp-down. Then laid a screen on it, one of the FF screens...then put the lid on. The basket/screen combo pretty much touches the inside of the window ring where the vapor paths start. (A couple times it all stuck to the lid when I popped it off. Pretty funny. Not sure if the magnets were the culprit.)

Interesting method...for me, though, the cons are more significant than the pros...

PROS:
  • Little or no mess, but you still get a resin on the window that'll need iso.
  • Keeps debris out of the screen/bowl lower edge, if that worries you.
  • Allows you to use a finer grind.
  • Cooks more evenly.
  • Can get bigger hits more reliably thanks to the grind, if that's important to you.
  • Can make traveling with the FF a lot cleaner and faster.

CONS:
  • Adds significant restriction to the draw, thanks to pulling air through the Arizer basket (which sides are touching the sides of the bowl, giving you only the bottom of the basket for airflow...though this may be why the material cooks so evenly.)
  • Seriously degraded taste, to me. Like, seriously. Material I was using has a signature taste that is HEAVEN in the FF or other vapes, but was all but a ghost with the basket. It added a metallic taste, which surprised me. (Never notice it on the VTE.)
  • You can't see the glow, for the most part. This is 50/50 aesthetic and utility...it helps to see when the glow kicks in. Not easy with the basket/screen combo.
  • Though it seemed to run hotter, I still couldn't extract the last good hit from the session. But it did extract one good hit more than usual for the FF. (So a PUSH for that one!)
For me, the taste is a deal-breaker. I would love the FF to be less messy, and I still think there's a top-screen-ish solution that will work for me someday, and I love the idea of the bowl staying clean...but the charm of the FF is that smooth, natural taste, obviously achieved through fewer encumbrances in the vapor path. Clean is great, but my FF flavor is what it's all about. The trade-off just isn't worth it to me.

Cool idea though, and YMMV and all that. Some folks may not have the same taste experience I did.

I'm wondering if the basket approach is basically turning this unit into a conduction style vape? I mean isn't that essentially what a conduction vape basically does namely heats up a chamber thus cooking/baking the herb?

Volteric,
Reactions: mitchgo61
I'm wondering if the basket approach is basically turning this unit into a conduction style vape? I mean isn't that essentially what a conduction vape basically does namely heats up a chamber thus cooking/baking the herb?
That is a great question. It seems to me that this method is still keeping the FF a convection vape. I say this because you are still just passing heated air through the screen and the herb.

Vaporipped,
Reactions: Volteric

mitchgo61

This is exactly what I was thinking. It's still technically convection, mostly, but there's an element of conduction in the way the material gets cooked in the basket (though minimal since the heat is on-demand). It certainly *tasted* more like a conduction vape, which, for me, sort of defeats the purpose.

Un Prophete

Has anyone vaped tobacco in their Firefly? I have never tried it in my life (always thought combustion could get fucked), and am curious how it is in the FF...

Last edited:
Un Prophete,

Volteric

That is a great question. It seems to me that this method is still keeping the FF a convection vape. I say this because you are still just passing heated air through the screen and the herb.

Well but the basket is get heated up and thus bakes the herb as well. Maybe the adding the basket makes this a conduction/convection vape hybrid similar to the mflb (also a unit that doesn't fit an either/or category.

fogbank

It was not "love at first vape" for me with the FireFly.

I've learned to extract great hits from the MFLB, T1, Pax, Inhalater, PNP, and Solo, but the FF is proving more problematic for me.

I ordered a grey unit from VapeWorld last Wednesday and received it in CA on Friday. Great turnaround from the vendor. Out of the box the battery cover would not stay in place. I had to tweak the plastic tab slightly to get it to "click" into place. Even with that resolved there is still a slight rise/lip where the top edge of the battery cover meets the back of the unit. Very small, but noticeable. This is really a minor issue and not one that I am concerned about.

I tried different grinds and strains. I had trouble getting any vapor from the unit until I realized I was drawing WAY TO SLOWLY. Once I refined my technique I was able to get satisfying vapor and was pleased with the effects.

Now I am struggling with the grind, draw speed, and the amount of material that seems to leave the bowl and get stuck to the window (resin, plant matter, et al). I am experimenting with screens, and have even tried cotton over the bowl, all with varying levels of success (but no "perfect" solution). In general I have also been underwhelmed by the power of the FF.

It's interesting that my experience is different from many other owners who are contributing to this thread. I feel that the FF is one of the more difficult portable vapes to master. At this point I think I would recommend almost any of my portable vapes to someone new to vaping, rather than the FF.

I am generally excited to try new techniques, grinds, screens, space capsules, etc... in my FF, but I do not feel that this vape is easy to use right out of the box. I have had some rewarding sessions with it, but I feel I have a lot more work to do before I settle into a routine with the FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom