Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty_honest

Hey Everyone, First time poster, long time lurker here, wanting to say "Thanks" to everyone on this forum, but especially this thread. I am completely hooked on vaping, love my MFLB, The Solo is fantastic, but..
A few minutes ago, the same thing that happened to hoya77 happened to me, I went over to firefly live chat and ....
Just ordered A Firefly... Dark Gray I went cheap on the shipping, so I won't see it for a week, But I was able to secure the premium package, which is $35 for spare battery and external charger ($55 savings) with no additional discount.

CONGRATS!!! Best decision ever! The dark gray is the way to go!

EveryDayAmnesiac

Well, it seems that Vaporexperts.com is honoring the $30 charger price that they mistakenly had up earlier this week. Although I did have to "Live Chat" with them because my order had not been filled since Monday. Talked to Shelby via the Live Chat service and received a Shipping invoice a few hours later.

I just figured I should give them a shout out for this since I think it does show character. :shrug:

If this order arrives all good, I'd probably order from them again for following through in this case.

Although Vape World still seems to be the best option for us East Coasters...

Need more online vape retailers on the East Coast...

Maybe I'll just start one myself... :freak:

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Inside the new battery charger on a bright silver background it says; LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERY CHARGER
I'm charging my lithium ion battery in it, works fine. One fine charger, prolly does both.

EveryDayAmnesiac

Inside the new battery charger on a bright silver background it says; LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERY CHARGER
I'm charging my lithium ion battery in it, works fine. One fine charger, prolly does both.

This battery situation confuses me. Why a lithium polymer charger when my battery clearly states that it's ion? Will the Firefly at some point use lithium polymer or something?

EveryDayAmnesiac,
Reactions: woodrow

bumdiggy84

some random thoughts responses to my experience so far and a ? or two for those who have at least one extra battery...

i ordered FF after going to vapeworld to get tubing for my extreme Q...which i use a pinnacle pro water tool with...:clap:

so after seeing the firefly (shes sitting beside me right now..waiting patiently, but effeciently :tup:) I went here first of course ( I started vaping 3 yrs ago with Extreme Q, then Pax, then PinnaclePro).

So I decided to order, but I was very skeptical ( i get it, they're all trying and the all have pros and cons (convect vs conduc, stealth, size, battery, combustion, smell, amount, grind-how much, cost,:bang:)

What really intrigued me about it was Mark Williams. why? A product engineer for Apple who left the company to pursue his "baby"...took "4 yrs" to fully develop? It just sounded like a winner!

Just to back up a sec. My extreme Q is the shiiitttt!!! :cheers: I call her "Q". She has change MY LIFE!! Don't need to comment on the benefits of vaping vs combusting, but also the effeciency and versatility, and of course my peoples at FC, who helped me on the one MOD i have (pinnacle water tool), which has allowed me to eliminate the bag option (never used anyways too much work), and the whip (again too much for me cleaning/replacing tubing)

That being said, I wanted a "portable" that did the same. Effecient, hassle free, and of course EFFECTIVE!

Purchasing my first portable was the Pinnacle. I got it strictly on looks (stealth) and the chamber loading for ease. Well lets say Im not going to trash it (after I got the Pax, I never tried it again, but thats why I got the Pax in the first place :doh:) It just didnt make the vape, make vapor... To me the temp settings were too low even on the "high" setting.

So my search continued.....PAX

Very impressed with it vapor wise, BUT....I think the chamber consumes too much goodies. Like .3? and yeah you can use less, but it affects the quality of the draw/longevity of the session.. Especially when Im at home and I throw a fine grinded .1g in my Q and get 3-4 nice rips...(i know Im not comparing the types of vapes, just the consumption.
Plus the cleaning maintenance for this little device is horrible :nope:. Dont ever be "lazy" b/c when she gets dirty/sticky the cap will lock up and "fahget about i!". Plus "one and done" with the battery.

Then on to the Pinnacle Pro. ME LIKEY!!:smug: higher temp offerings, the bullet method can be done conveniently with "preloaded" bullets when your portable. Only knock would be battery one and done, but shes good for one session, AND of course the WATER TOOL!!:clap:(which I now use exclusively with my Q) By the way, those bullets hold and effecient consumption amount (.15-.20)

Ok, so back to the FIREFLY!!!!!

After playing/learning the right technique for the last 3 days, reading this thread for advice... I wanna start by sayin... I JUST ORDERED ANOTHER ONE!! and THIS IS WHY

FELLOW FIREFLY FLIERS!!!!:wave: STOP GRINDING.... I REPEAT STOP GRINDING!!!!

Fine grind, medium grind...how about NO GRIND.

Someone said it in the early pages of this thread.

After having FF for 2days, I was certainly getting stoned, but I hated the technique. Im now pretty experienced when it comes to "certain" techniques like "slow draw", right grind, surface air, blah blah with the other portables I have...

What really was a turn off to purchasing was the "draw" technique so we dont "upset" the goodies posts in this thread. I felt that trying the FF would be another "pro and con" battle compared to the vapes I have now...

But something about Mark Williams leaving APPLE that gave me this "feeling"...so I still decided to try it.

SOOOO...all of that being said....grab you a .15 (or smaller, you wont fit any bigger) bud...slap her in that pretty little bowl...and WAHLAH!!!

YOU HAVE A FUTURISTIC BOWL!!!!

Benefits:

1. bud doesnt move, allowing you to draw as slow/hard/fast/slow as you want! :tup:
2. Easy stir!, better yet NO STIR... when you sucked out all the good from the bottom of the bud, take of lid (I just slide mines to the side, it is magnetic) FLIP the bud over! (aha dont have to stir anything!) and it AINT hot in there to touch because of the GENIUS ingenuity... finish the other side of the bud (Ive already done a few sessions commuting from work driving with one hand)
3. that baked bud now easily drops in my storage until I get home...AND THE REST IS FINISHED OFF IN MY Q when i get home...(but you can certainly finish it w/ FF!!)

YA KNOW SOMETIMES IT TAKES A LITTLE WHILE TO FIGURE OUT GENIUS!!

ThIS is the BEST vape for me. Its perfect for me... I feel like back when I had my bowl. Throw a bud in, light it, get high... its the same concept with out combusting. ITS A FUTURISTIC BOWL...

I only posted this for the people "on the fence" and to thank the person who tried using a bud instead of grinding. GET THIS VAPE!!! IT IS VERY WELL DESIGNED!!

I took the FF to my buddy's house who is still combusting. I wanted him to try it, but as with the other portables, he hates all of that "technique" shit. It is alot easier to draw from a blunt/bowl/joint than a FF w/ grinded bud in it...AFTER he held it and I told him the technique...he DIDNT EVEN TRY IT!!

When I wen home, I was just staring at her(FF) and it just hit me..."just put a bud in there and she how she acts" ....and the rest is HISTORY... Oh and I took it back to my buddy's house and just handed it to him and said, "forget all that technique shit..hit her as hard as you want!"...He loved it!

I've ordered a 2nd one (RED, first one SILVER), Im selling the other portables. I AM SET!! Extreme Q for home, FIREFLY for the go!!!

THANKS FC :bigleaf:

OH YEAH,....question about the batteries I have two replacements along with the included one, and when they're charging, The LED light never goes to sold blue indicating "fully charged" as the instructions say. Not only does it not go solid blue, while its charging, the blinking blue light will "randomly" switch to green/blue/amber making it difficult to figure out if its doing something "other" than charge like overcharge, etc....I havent noticed any mechanical problems (yet)..the batteries do seem to last a full session of vaping..but just wondered...
Anyone else having this?

Last edited:

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Damn..damn....damn...another moment of weakness to report. i have been reading these posts and i accidentally navigated to the firefly home page and clicked the chat feature...i had a 10 minute convo with a rep named Stacey...very polite and helpful. I told her i did not see the premium package deal anymore on the site. She said one sec she needed to check for it..she came back and told me it was discontinued. She said that if i bought one today they would give me the premium package deal...in a moment of weakness i pulled the trigger....my FF will be here next week and its the RED ONE!!!!!!!
not a moment of weakness, a moment of triumph!!:)

bumdiggy84

Combustion...ruined that bowl plus the next one...don't think it fits my style...May eBay it while they are still new

Was not packed overly tight but grind from Mendo was fine...looking for something more portable I guess...back to the Pax for me
Have you tried just putting bud in without grinding? I prefer. .less mess too. .makes for more portable. .I can take the lid off and flip the nugget and relid with one hand

olfos

that´s no smoke....it´s called vapor
Hi,

I don´t know where to ask this question. Unfortunately the Firefly won´t be shipped to europe and they don´t even plan to do so. I had a nice conversation with Firefly and Vapeworld. Now the question---has someone from europe made experiences with a Mail Forwarding Service and could give a recommendation? I still want this vapo...

Thanks for answering

and by the way....Best Forum I used!!!

Last edited:

natural farmer

Hi,

I don´t know where to ask this question. Unfortunately the Firefly won´t be shipped to europe and they don´t even plan to do so. I had a nice conversation with Firefly and Vapeworld. Now the question---has someone from europe made experiences with a Mail Forwarding Service and could give a recommendation? I still want this vapo...

Thanks for answering

and by the way....Best Forum I used!!!

I am waiting for one FF shipped through Canada (relatives...) but I am sure you can find some fellow FCers around here willing to give you a hand of assistance shipping it. I haven't tried any mail forwarding service myself but I remember they weren't very cheap... Please post your experiences if you finally go for it.
I don't see a reason why they wouldn't find a European retailer eventually. Except if the American market is so big and they genuinely don't give a fuck for the rest of the world. I wouldn't like such a scenario...

AnnaHigh

Hello.
I ordered FF with delivery to Europe. But I used my friend address who lives in the United States, and he sent me to Europe. Waiting for FF next week.
Question for owners: I want to buy a 220V charger-analog in advance. I cant see the value of OUTPUT back side charger on foto for the correct choice. Plug looks like old nokia? Transformer 110 ~ 220 too big and heavy, I hope something like this can help me:huh:
http://www.vivanco.com/Homepage/Pro...-ac-dc-power-adapter.html?id=tVDmw6tpecsXWI3R

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
OH YEAH,....question about the batteries I have two replacements along with the included one, and when they're charging, The LED light never goes to sold blue indicating "fully charged" as the instructions say. Not only does it not go solid blue, while its charging, the blinking blue light will "randomly" switch to green/blue/amber making it difficult to figure out if its doing something "other" than charge like overcharge, etc....I havent noticed any mechanical problems (yet)..the batteries do seem to last a full session of vaping..but just wondered...
Anyone else having this?

You may have a bad chargeing system in that unit...does this happen to all batteries? Do you have the external charger? I would talk to Sarah C. and see when she can get you a replacement. Their customer service is some of the best there is. They are taking my blemsished unit, that functions fine and replacing it. I feel bad, but they want their customers very happy. My batteries, both of them, last for about 5 full sessions before no glow.

olfos

that´s no smoke....it´s called vapor
T
I am waiting for one FF shipped through Canada (relatives...) but I am sure you can find some fellow FCers around here willing to give you a hand of assistance shipping it. I haven't tried any mail forwarding service myself but I remember they weren't very cheap... Please post your experiences if you finally go for it.
I don't see a reason why they wouldn't find a European retailer eventually. Except if the American market is so big and they genuinely don't give a fuck for the rest of the world. I wouldn't like such a scenario...

Thanks for answering. I don´t have friends in the US and there was one FCer who replied on my wish ...but no solution, yet.
Yeah, you are right...these services seem to be very expensive....

So please, dear reader, if you live in the US or Canada and have a paypal-account show heart for an enthusiast in vaping. I would do it for you ;-)

Last edited:

VapeKat

greetings all, just wanted to share my best green hit technique I've been perfecting for the last couple of weeks:

hold down button wait 4 seconds
draw like using a straw to drink with nose closed
count to 15 and release button but continue to draw for another 2 seconds
finish the inhale from nose to fill the rest of my lungs with air to propagate the vapor
don't hold breath but slowly breath out from my nose while leaving my mouth closed but throat open allowing the exhaled air to permeate my taste buds causes eyes to roll back and brain to release endorphins
permagrin...

bumdiggy84

greetings all, just wanted to share my best green hit technique I've been perfecting for the last couple of weeks:

hold down button wait 4 seconds
draw like using a straw to drink with nose closed
count to 15 and release button but continue to draw for another 2 seconds
finish the inhale from nose to fill the rest of my lungs with air to propagate the vapor
don't hold breath but slowly breath out from my nose while leaving my mouth closed but throat open allowing the exhaled air to permeate my taste buds causes eyes to roll back and brain to release endorphins
permagrin...

also try with a pressed in .15 nugget instead of grinding..and I like to do a couple of "primes" and see some vape blast out the side of my mouth before I go in for the kill...:nod: with a nugget, draw speed/strength is up to your preference...it not going to fly around or bits in mouth from fine grind, etc...

You may have a bad chargeing system in that unit...does this happen to all batteries? Do you have the external charger? I would talk to Sarah C. and see when she can get you a replacement. Their customer service is some of the best there is. They are taking my blemsished unit, that functions fine and replacing it. I feel bad, but they want their customers very happy. My batteries, both of them, last for about 5 full sessions before no glow.

yes it does all with the two additional batteries and the included battery. I have spent i dunno 15 min trying to figure out the pattern (vaked all to be of course) off the lights it variates from... it goess

from completley dead:

20 blue pulses
2 quick green/blue pulses back to back
solid red for about 4 seconds
then the blue pulses cut in half to about 8-10
then same 2 quick green/blue pulses back to back
solid red for about 10 seconds

and this pattern is consistent but the blue pulses and solid red durations vary by time

Last edited by a moderator:

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
yes it does all with the two additional batteries and the included battery. I have spent i dunno 15 min trying to figure out the pattern (vaked all to be of course) off the lights it variates from... it goess

from completley dead:

20 blue pulses
2 quick green/blue pulses back to back
solid red for about 4 seconds
then the blue pulses cut in half to about 8-10
then same 2 quick green/blue pulses back to back
solid red for about 10 seconds

and this pattern is consistent but the blue pulses and solid red durations vary by time
Drop the Firefly team a friendly note on the web page or maybe live chat with someone ... your unit needs to go to the hospital. Don't spend anymore time trying to fiqure it out cause it should not be happening. Did you say the battery lasted for one session? The external charger sure would come in handy for you.

mckeen,
Reactions: woodrow

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
I thought mine was a battery problem, but reading the above perhaps its the FF itself.

I only get <2 bowls per charge. At about 3/4 through the second bowl it just shuts off. No lights. Nothing. Turn off, back on, no lights nothing.
Put it on the charger/get the pulsing blue charging light for about 30-40 minutes/then solid blue. And then it'll do the same thing.

I've never seen anything but blue or green lights. No other color.

Granted the bowl or bowl and 3/4 are quite nice with the FF, but not satisfactory given the price and hype. While an extra battery would be nice if I were getting 4+ bowls, it really reduces its portability factor if you have to carry it (not insubstantial weight/size) plus extra batteries if you are going to be out and about for a while. I can easily get 5+ bowls out of my Solo and don't need extra batteries plus I can easily charge it in my car.

I contacted them via their web page a couple of days ago about my issue, but have not heard anything back. Hadn't noticed the "Chat" feature (doesn't appear to be active on the weekend) and somebody was nice enough to post a phone number too. Problem being that its nearly impossible to do it at work. So I was hoping to get a response to my original inquiry before proceeding.

I see the FF description now says Li-ion not Li-Po for the battery. That's what I thought I was getting, but mine says Li-ion in a couple of places..
As to the difference a retired engineer friend sent me this:
Lithium ion is:
Higher in energy density.
Cheaper to manufacture.
But:
Heavier.
More rigid in shapes and styles.
More internal resistance, for slower discharging, and lower amperages.
Has greater aging, even if not used for 1 year.
More explosive, so requires an IC circuit.

Lithium polymer is:
Lighter.
Moulderble, and flatter shapes.
Less internal resistance for faster discharging and higher amperages, at up to 65C continuously, or 135C in bursts!!!
By comparison, a typical RCR chemistry 18650 can only discharge at up to 5.8 amps.
While an IMR chemistry 18650 at 2000 mAH will discharge at up to 10 amps, though an IMR chemistry 18650 at a puny 1600 mAH can discharge at up to 15C, but for the diminished capacity.
Has less self aging, even if not used.
Less explosive, so no IC circuit required.
But:
Less energy density.
Expensive to manufacture.

Thus, LiPo is used in radio controlled cars for their lighter weight and faster discharge rates, for massive amperages, for more power.
LiPo is used in mobile phones especially for their flatter shape, and their lighter weight.
While Lion is used in flashlights for their greater energy density for longer run times.

Does that sound about right?

Last edited by a moderator:

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
I thought mine was a battery problem, but reading the above perhaps its the FF itself.

I only get <2 bowls per charge. At about 3/4 through the second bowl it just shuts off. No lights. Nothing. Turn off, back on, no lights nothing.
Put it on the charger/get the pulsing blue charging light for about 30-40 minutes/then solid blue. And then it'll do the same thing.

Granted the bowl or bowl and 3/4 are quite nice with the FF, but not satisfactory given the price and hype. While an extra battery would be nice if I were getting 4+ bowls, it really reduces its portability factor if you have to carry it (not insubstantial weight/size) plus extra batteries if you are going to be out and about for a while. I can easily get 5+ bowls out of my Solo and don't need extra batteries plus I can easily charge it in my car.

I contacted them via their web page a couple of days ago about my issue, but have not heard anything back. Hadn't noticed the "Chat" feature (doesn't appear to be active on the weekend) and somebody was nice enough to post a phone number too. Problem being that its nearly impossible to do it at work. So I was hoping to get a response to my original inquiry before proceeding.

I see the FF description now says Li-ion not Li-Po for the battery. That's what I thought I was getting, but mine says Li-ion in a couple of places..
As to the difference a retired engineer friend sent me this:
Lithium ion is:
Higher in energy density.
Cheaper to manufacture.
But:
Heavier.
More rigid in shapes and styles.
More internal resistance, for slower discharging, and lower amperages.
Has greater aging, even if not used for 1 year.
More explosive, so requires an IC circuit.

Lithium polymer is:
Lighter.
Moulderble, and flatter shapes.
Less internal resistance for faster discharging and higher amperages, at up to 65C continuously, or 135C in bursts!!!
By comparison, a typical RCR chemistry 18650 can only discharge at up to 5.8 amps.
While an IMR chemistry 18650 at 2000 mAH will discharge at up to 10 amps, though an IMR chemistry 18650 at a puny 1600 mAH can discharge at up to 15C, but for the diminished capacity.
Has less self aging, even if not used.
Less explosive, so no IC circuit required.
But:
Less energy density.
Expensive to manufacture.

Thus, LiPo is used in radio controlled cars for their lighter weight and faster discharge rates, for massive amperages, for more power.
LiPo is used in mobile phones especially for their flatter shape, and their lighter weight.
While Lion is used in flashlights for their greater energy density for longer run times.

Does that sound about right?
Everything sounds in order. You sir need a new unit, in my humble opinion. We are getting 5 solid sessions with our Firefly. We don't go much further than 4 solid hits each session though. When charging she blinks blue, solid blue charged. Turn unit on, green led, press heating button green blinks until the computer controlled heating system shuts off, about 30 seconds. When battery is dead mine gives a red blink.

We thought we were getting the Lithium Polymer after reading the website. I'm thinking they were trying to run with Lithium Polymer but ran into some real life issues. Leaving this open to a possible upgrade but, I've asked the question in writing to Firefly with no answer, just a spew about the cold weather. I will specifically ask the question Monday and see if we can find out the real story. Lithium Polymer charger, Lithium Ion battery?

In the unboxing video mentions the lithium Ion battery then lithium polymer. lol which is it.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

The light turns red when the charge is completely dead. If you're not seeing red when the battery dies, something is wrong.

We are getting 5 solid sessions with our Firefly. We don't go much further than 4 solid hits each session though.

So 20 good hits? Sounds right...I'm sure I get 25-plus, and I usually catch it before it's totally discharged.

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
That's about what my usage pattern per load is too.

Although I do find that I can still get some tasty pulls if I then run it through my EVO.

Looks like I'll have to send it back...rats. I do like the flavor.

edit: just charged it up (yet again). This time I had just started the third bowl and as I started to draw it shut down completely (no lights, nothing). Now this was a different strain of meds so I think I was taking less draws per bowl so probably essentially nothing has really changed.

Last edited:

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
The light turns red when the charge is completely dead. If you're not seeing red when the battery dies, something is wrong.
Exactly, the Firefly is in need of a clinic. When red she's dead or should be.

So 20 good hits? Sounds right...I'm sure I get 25-plus, and I usually catch it before it's totally discharged.
Yes, I don't like to go further than the 4 maybe five hits, starts tasting nasty, no shortage of medicine here.
I just put mine in an outdoor FedX drop box and I feel stupid cause they don't pick up till monday and I already miss that cool awsome flavor! Break out the back up.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Looks like I'll have to send it back...rats. I do like the flavor.

edit: just charged it up (yet again). This time I had just started the third bowl and as I started to draw it shut down completely (no lights, nothing). Now this was a different strain of meds so I think I was taking less draws per bowl so probably essentially nothing has really changed.

Well honestly it sounds like it's working normally, but just not giving you the red light when it dies. If you used it the way I do, i.e. charge it every 20 hits or so without letting it completely drain, you wouldn't even notice there was anything different. (In five weeks of use I've seen the red light exactly twice.)

So perhaps whatever is up with your red light isn't impacting actual functionality, and may not be worth returning the unit over. Worth a conversation with FF before you do anything drastic. ;)

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Mine shut down, green lite out, when I left the power unit on to long, never timed this. Turn it back on for lite to shine. Maybe the problem has to do with the auto shut off feature.

I found this hunting around, not sure if it applies.

3: Allow partial discharges and avoid full ones (usually)
Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it's better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles.

There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device's power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom