Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Thanks for sharing your technique. The only time I packed my Firefly I had combustion. I am going to go through your 'packing technique' and see how I like it (medium grind right?). I have been getting to the point where I felt that there was no need to stir but was still doing it. So I am going to give your technique a test drive.

Thanks
Yes med to fine grind dry works great. I happened to see my wifes chapstick laying on the counter while i was packing it and I was like wow that cap and this bowl!! It was literally a perfect size for the job. This thing is like Ceras hip cousin :)

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Ok gang I experimented with different load sizes and packs and here is my take on it:
I overfill the bowl a little and use a chapstick cap to tamp it down (sort of like my packing technique with the Cera) Not too tight, but a firm tamp nonetheless. While leaving the cap on top of the load I blow off any particles out from around the bowl. I then put the lid on and go to town. I found that with this technique the load does not shift around and no stirring is needed. The bowl will definitely last longer too, for the cloud chasers as well as the taste connoisseurs. The load drops out like a puck and is evenly brown throughout. This also keeps the glass window and vapor paths surprisingly cleaner then a small load. The smaller load works well too just a lot more particles get gummy and stick to the window. Just personal preference. I like SLIMS suggestion about a hot wipe with a hankie if handy and also I take a qtip out and swab out the glass window while warm to and this works great! The Firefly definitely has my solo and ascent on the shelf for now and has turned my Cera into strictly an EO and wax machine:razz: Man I've been waiting for this one for a long time! :nod:
Wow, what a great idea. Found my trusty Burt's Bees and viola works like a charm. No more dirty glass or vapor channels, well much less. No need to stir or shake, christ what an idea. Thank you ShayWhiteGrow for the excellent idea, I'm snatching that one up.
*I did find that the glass bowl goes round and round!

Last edited:

tufftitty

I'm going to try that Chapstick maneuver this afternoon. I logged in to point out something. The vape critic (and many others) have pointed out that the skinny little channels are the vapor path but I noticed that the main unit is showing vapor residue down the middle part as well. The middle of the lid doesn't ever come in contact with the body of the main unit. I guess the design is so that the channels are what help keep an even distribution of suction on the bowl. But yeah, that whole "open" section in the middle is having vapor pulled over it

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
ShayWhiteGrow's Chapstick tip and bowl packing technique works great. I am also going to use the Chapstick lid for a measure too. It's funny how the smallest things can make a big difference.

No need to stir and a bit longer session with a medium grind. Nice.

This is how I've always been using the FF. As I mentioned a while ago, I get nice results with a medium-ish compacting of material. I still find I need to stir and re compact once or twice, however.

The Chapstick cap tip is very useful!

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
As this is a "portable" unit let me put in another suggestion along the Chapstick lid lines: the trusty little "doob" tube. Not only does it carry a supply of your material but it too fits the bowl perfectly for tamping down. With a small rubber band around the tube I can carry a small extra electric shaver brush with me too.

As a bonus I found an old cell phone belt holster that fits them together!

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
ShayWhiteGrow's Chapstick tip and bowl packing technique works great. I am also going to use the Chapstick lid for a measure too. It's funny how the smallest things can make a big difference.

No need to stir and a bit longer session with a medium grind. Nice.

Thanks ShayWhiteGrow

Shay, you may want to get stock in Chapstick — You have probably sold a bunch already
Glad it helped:tup: Yea, with these portables, little tweaks here and there help immensely. That's what makes FC so great, many different minds, hard at work collaborating to make our vaping experiences that much better!:D

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I think mitchgo61 mentioned something about cheapo grinders and the Firefly for the right grind?

I have some pretty damn good grinders and that was a tiny bit of a problem. My Spacecase and my Mendo Mulcher are a little aggressive for a consistent medium grind I found. I always end up with about a quarter of the material 'MFLB' fine — which is too fine for the Firefly imo.

Yes FF sent me a free cheapo acrylic grinder and recommended I use it. I did, but I usually find I can just manually shred material as effectively if it's dry enough. Those cheap grinders tend to hang onto a lot of material I can never seem to extricate completely from the teeth. Lame, I know!

ProRollers

She is here...after weather delays for 4 days...deff will need some bowl filling help...I am used to packing it down in a Pax but my first attempt with this was messy...going to try the chapstick cap trick next load. It's bigger than I thought...won't replace my Pax totally but with it being total convection...I can see it being my daily shop piece. Time will tell...little smaller would be ideal. The silver color model doesn't stick out too much if you don't want it noticed.

Last edited:

proghead

Sounds like the exact opposite of the PnP..

Hello
I just joined this very instructive thread after having been reading great info for one week. Thanks to u all!

OMEiAM I guess that PnP stands for Pinacle Pro. It seems you mean that the Pinacle Pro combusts a lot, right?

I have been holding my urge to buy the FF instead of the Pinacle Pro for mainly to 2 reasons. One being the reported cases of combustion. Besides all the ordinary cons of combustion, I don't think I could live with the possibility of my portable vaporizer doing combustion on me at a controlled facility with smoke detection equipment... (Or I am wrong in thinking it could trigger smoke alarms and stuff?)

Please OMEiAM and anyone else preferably members owning both, provide me more info on the propensity for combustion of either the FF and/or, or versus the Pinacle Pro.
Thanks!

OMEiAM

Hello
I just joined this very instructive thread after having been reading great info for one week. Thanks to u all!

OMEiAM I guess that PnP stands for Pinacle Pro. It seems you mean that the Pinacle Pro combusts a lot, right?

I have been holding my urge to buy the FF instead of the Pinacle Pro for mainly to 2 reasons. One being the reported cases of combustion. Besides all the ordinary cons of combustion, I don't think I could live with the possibility of my portable vaporizer doing combustion on me at a controlled facility with smoke detection equipment... (Or I am wrong in thinking it could trigger smoke alarms and stuff?)

Please OMEiAM and anyone else preferably members owning both, provide me more info on the propensity for combustion of either the FF and/or, or versus the Pinacle Pro.
Thanks!

I wasn't saying that the Pinnacle Pro combusts. I was replying to when @steama said he never got a 'warm or hot' hit from his Firefly. The PnP irritates my throat a bit so that's why I made that comment.

I only have the PnP so I can't compare both vapes as I am also trying to learn more about the Firefly.

Sorry if it caused confusion and welcome to FC!

proghead

I wasn't saying that the Pinnacle Pro combusts. I was replying to when @steama said he never got a 'warm or hot' hit from his Firefly. The PnP irritates my throat a bit so that's why I made that comment.

I only have the PnP so I can't compare both vapes as I am also trying to learn more about the Firefly.

Sorry if it caused confusion and welcome to FC!

Thank you OMEiAM for your kind and prompt response! I was reading some of the thread on the PnP, but it is quite long. Your clarification saved me a lot of time... So, he PnP does not have a tendency for combusting. Great! Does the throat irritation disappear using the water tube?

The second issue holding my purchase of the FF is the need to maintain a medium grind. I will get into that in another reply to ask for input.

Last edited:

proghead

Combustion is not a Firefly problem in my experience.

I had 'a' case of combustion but that has been proven an anomaly to my satisfaction. I think that in order to get the Firefly to combustion you must do a few things together. Also during the event I did not experience much if any heat at all only a brief moment of smoke then you quit of course. There was no raging inferno.

Combustion Steps

1) have a fine grind with some as fine as dust
2) do a firm pack
3) an ultra slow or pulsing very long draw.

Then the Firefly may catch fire for you.

Yes Steama I was happy to NOT see a multiplication of combustion reports and your thorough detailed postings have been so valuable!

My current portables include MFLB, Vapir NO2, the totally useless VB 2.0 and more recently, the "fuzzy" (as Vaporfiend labeled it!) Ascent. These last two were a complete waste of money as big bowls with conduction heat DO NOT seem to work...

So, I have been waiting for the efficiency and material saving of a convection portable where I can use finely grinded herbs in a small bowl. That is the FF or maybe the Pinacle Pro.

Therefore, the second (and last) issue holding my purchase of the FF is the impression I got that I would not be able to grind my herbs in my electric green colored Tobacco Shredder & Cut Converter (which is smaller than a small electric coffee grinder and available on line). The thing I dislike the most about vaporizing is grinding my herbs. I prefer the fine grinding I can obtain with good scissors and hate the separation of the crystals that occurs with manual and electric grinders. But scissors are so time consuming. Yet, the shredder mentioned does a very decent job in seconds.

I have no doubts that the FF will give better flavor quality, but if the Pinacle Pro can give me results close enough to the FF without having the need to maintain a steady medium grind on the material used, then I may be better off with the Pinacle Pro.

Any input please? Would love to hear from members that have used both. THANKS!

tufftitty

Hello

Thanks!

I don't have a PnP but I can tell u for certain that no matter how hard I try my FF will not combust. I've gotten my abv to a very dark dark brown, no combustion. Also I've yet to get the popcorn taste either.

The FF is a great investment!

EveryDayAmnesiac

I too have been experiencing extreme smoothness with the Firefly. I was a bit worried when I ordered about that but at this point the hits are so smooth that I am continually surprised by how much vapor comes out of me. I've been hitting by a spotlight because I was convinced at first that I wasn't getting any vapor, but I'm getting plenty.

The only time I have "felt the heat" from a hit is if I REALLY go for it or if I push the heat button a second time too quickly.

The first hit from a cold start can be a bit underwhelming, for me. But with a little technique I've been able to just hit it once from a cold start and feel medicated enough for social situations. But I tend to go for two or three since I can hit it so quickly again without making as big a smell as two or three hits will cause by me when using the Ascent.

I still love my Ascent, especially for nighttime knockouts through water and for sharing with friends, but the Firefly is definitely my go-to portable with the Ascent as its backup. And I have no qualms with shelling out more money for an external charger and a couple extra batteries.

The Firefly sure ain't cheap, but it is goddamn luxurious and worth every penny, in my opinion. I fucking love this thing. I just wish I had chosen the red one... :(

I am also getting better results with a little tamping down!

Last edited by a moderator:

tufftitty

F
I too have been experiencing extreme smoothness with the Firefly. I was a bit worried when I ordered about that but at this point the hits are so smooth that I am continually surprised by how much vapor comes out of me. I've been hitting by a spotlight because I was convinced at first that I wasn't getting any vapor, but I'm getting plenty.

The only time I have "felt the heat" from a hit is if I REALLY go for it or if I push the heat button a second time too quickly.

The first hit from a cold start can be a bit underwhelming, for me. But with a little technique I've been able to just hit it once from a cold start and feel medicated enough for social situations. But I tend to go for two or three since I can hit it so quickly again without making as big a smell as two or three hits will cause by me when using the Ascent.

I still love my Ascent, especially for nighttime knockouts through water and for sharing with friends, but the Firefly is definitely my go-to portable with the Ascent as its backup. And I have no qualms with shelling out more money for an external charger and a couple extra batteries.

The Firefly sure ain't cheap, but it is goddamn luxurious and worth every penny, in my opinion. I fucking love this thing. I just wish I had chosen the red one... :(

I am also getting better results with a little tamping down!

Go for the two tone effect and buy a red lid once they're restocked!

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I've found that the battery seems to operate at pretty even performance from beginning to when it starts blinking red. I seem to get good hits right up until I can't get anything at all.

Have you others been finding this?
Yes. It is rather consistent with it's delivery up to the blinking red then just done, time to switch batteries:tup:

proghead

Every tool is different. Just do what is needed to do to make the tool function at the optimum it was designed for. I do whatever it takes to achieve the best results I can. If it means medium grind then I do a medium grind.

You know, you could do a fine grind in the Firefly. All you would need to do is adjust your technique and experiment a bit. Peace bro.

Very cool from you steama & tufftitty to take time to help me out, man.

Your right steama, I think I might be able to play/learn with my electric tobacco shredder to succeed with the grind.

This FF is a thing of beauty that seems almost perfect for use as personal go-to-vaporizer.

Pretty sure will be ordering mine tomorrow.

And peace to you too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom