Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver0066

Well, there's the Grasshopper (same practice - payment way ahead of delivery), but that's a different kind of situation. I think you'll get a better response using the online chat with Firefly. I always have.

DGI
I just called them. They advised that it is a new policy of Firefly. They have lost much respect from me because of this. In addition, the Firefly 1 (I have two) is blowing out coils every 6 to 9 months. At least it has a 5 year warranty.

The Firefly 2 warranty is only 2 years. If that coil burns out as often as the Firefly 1, then there will be many unhappy customers. I also learned that the Firefly 2 is made in China and they are waiting for the boat. Very suspicious.

Silver0066,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
The Firefly 2 warranty is only 2 years. If that coil burns out as often as the Firefly 1, then there will be many unhappy customers. I also learned that the Firefly 2 is made in China and they are waiting for the boat. Very suspicious.

It's not suspicious, and you are at least partially mis-informed on some key points.

1. The FF2 coil is made differently, with tighter tolerances. It's installed by machines with VERY close specs, unlike the FF1 which featured hand-assembled coils.

2. The coil didn't really "burn out" on the FF1's....variances in installations caused issues with its performance. It wasn't an "age related" failure.

3. The coil, and the plate (the two bits that do the heavy lifting in the FF) are NOT made in China. They are made in the US, and assembled into the FF2 in China under the strict supervision of Firefly staff. So while, yes, the FF2 is assembled in China, saying it's "made in China" is materially misleading.

You should read the FF2 thread before making assumptions. :2c: All of the relevant facts are there for everyone to read.

Last edited:

Silver0066

It's not suspicious, and you are at least partially mis-informed on some key points.

1. The FF2 coil is made differently, with tighter tolerances. It's installed by machines with VERY close specs, unlike the FF1 which featured hand-assembled coils.

2. The coil didn't really "burn out" on the FF1's....variances in installations caused issues with its performance. It wasn't an "age related" failure.

3. The coil, and the plate (the two bits that do the heavy lifting in the FF) are NOT made in China. They are made in the US, and assembled into the FF2 in China under the strict supervision of Firefly staff. So while, yes, the FF2 is assembled in China, saying it's "made in China" is materially misleading.

You should read the FF2 thread before making assumptions. :2c: All of the relevant facts are there for everyone to read.
Thanks for the additional information. I feel much better about it now. I did not realize that it was only assembled in China and made in the USA.

OrionNebula

Hi guys, do you think that vaping low temp herbs on top of the wire concentrate pad would help me vape them better? Does that pad lower the temperature at all? I find that herbs like lavender and chamomile burn on the firefly.

OrionNebula,

mitchgo61

mitchgo61,

mulciber

How does the vapor flavor/quality of the FF compare to a log vape, say the e-nano?

I was recently using a friend's e-nano and really enjoyed it. May get one myself at some point. The biggest difference between the two devices is in the way they're used. The e-nano isn't portable, but it's my opinion that the FF is only portable in the sense that it's easy to transport. It's rather fussy in its insistence on technique and maintenance to achieve maximal results. I love it, but it's, as they say, complicated. OTOH, the e-nano is extremely straightforward and forgiving in its usage. The only variables have to do with temperature and strength/length of draw, but the result is very consistent no matter how you hit it, and it delivers a proper draw every time.

In terms of taste, I'd have to say the first one or two draws on fresh material via the FF simply cannot be surpassed for taste and smoothness. Beyond that it's going to be up to how you conduct your approach to it. The e-nano's first and second draws on fresh material are generally heavier but also very flavorful.

So in flavor, FF may have the edge, but with qualifications. For quality of vapor I must say that the e-nano is the more formidable.

mulciber,

Hyphy

In terms of taste, I'd have to say the first one or two draws on fresh material via the FF simply cannot be surpassed for taste and smoothness.
That's quite the complement.

Do others think that the taste between the e-nano and FF are different, or are we splitting hairs?

I plan to get the FF2 but am wondering if there's a spot for the e-nano in my life too. Even though the FF is portable, it looks like a big metal bowl ready to be lit with a lighter which isn't that stealthy. I have my MFLB and dab pens for stealthy portables. That leaves me looking for an "at home" vape.

Pros for the nano (in my situation) is that it has an AC plug so I won't ever have to bitch about FF batteries. EVER! But I'm digging how compact and simple the FF is.. no stems/GonGs, power bricks, cords, etc. Less is more approach. I'm guessing the FF is easier to clean too.

If the FF is superior to the nano in taste though, then I see no sense in getting the nano.. need to save that money for FF batteries :evil:

Hyphy,

mulciber

That's quite the complement.

But I'm digging how compact and simple the FF is.. no stems/GonGs, power bricks, cords, etc. Less is more approach. I'm guessing the FF is easier to clean too.

If the FF is superior to the nano in taste though, then I see no sense in getting the nano..

I'd say it's only when a bowl is fresh that the FF pulls ahead, and then only slightly.

I'm a huge FF fan (why I'm here) but if it's a just-for-home unit ... honestly ... I think you're better off with the e-nano. It's actually much easier to clean and maintain over the duration of a session than the FF (naturally I'm talking about FF1). The FF, unless the new version has changed its interior architecture substantially, requires quite a lot of futzing with the material between draws, and there's a lot of residue build-up very quickly. The e-nano stays clean longer and doesn't require manipulation during use. It's a different kind of experience, but both offer the benefits of pure convection, and the air flow path for the e-nano is particularly well-engineered.

The e-nano is a very praiseworthy device - very well thought out and beautiful in its way.

You're going to enjoy either (or maybe both at some point), guaranteed. Good luck!

mulciber,
Reactions: mitchgo61

mitchgo61

IMO the FF blows away the Nano flavor. No comparison. And unlike the Nano, the FF is never hot or harsh.

I'd give the Nano a B for flavor. The FF is a solid A+....nothing compares to it. Nothing....not even the FF2!

Hyphy

The FF is a solid A+....nothing compares to it. Nothing....not even the FF2!

Hopefully that's a prototype issue since the FF2 is based on the FF1. And with the FF2 being 33% smaller, I'm not even considering the FF1 at the moment...

Hyphy,

mitchgo61

Hopefully that's a prototype issue since the FF2 is based on the FF1. And with the FF2 being 33% smaller, I'm not even considering the FF1 at the moment...

The 2 is a teeny bit less cool than the 1 (apparently not a prototype issue, possibly has something to do with the lid being glass instead of steel). This affects the overall flavor profile very slightly but noticeably. So I might give the 1 a nod in terms of flavor. Just barely.

But yes the 2 is a much better vape, and I don't think they're selling the 1 anymore anyway. You should definitely consider the 2. :2c::nod:

mitchgo61,

OrionNebula

No problem. Let us know how you get on. I'm actually kind of curious. :nod:

I didn't buy the pads just yet. Seems to me that it works slightly better if I mix the chamomile in with lavender, because lavender is more "oily" and slightly slows down the burning of the chamomile. As of now, however, it seems that chamomile is not a very good herb to vaporize in the firefly. Maybe the firefly 2, with temperature controls, can do a better job.

So can someone tell me ANY way in which the Firefly 1 is better than the Firefly 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
OrionNebula,

mitchgo61

So can someone tell me ANY way in which the Firefly 1 is better than the Firefly 2?

1. Price...sixty bucks cheaper.
2. Aesthetics....the heft and overall design is more unique and has a higher "wow" factor than the more compact, less sleek, more square-ish 2.
3. Flavor of the FF1 is slightly cooler than the 2. But we covered this already. :p

The 2 is way superior to the 1, by a wide margin. But if you must focus on FF1's potentially superior features, those three stand out.

mitchgo61,

mitchgo61

thanks. Do you think that that heft makes the FF1 more resistant to drops?

Hmmm....probably not. It's heavy but can be damaged by dropping. It is also more likely to have coil alignment issues than the 2...something that can easily occur during a drop.

mitchgo61,

Tdtour

Hello all

Looking into the FF2, is there a technique to use it? Like the MFLB? Or is it an easy turn it on and use it? If there is a technique how hard is it to learn. I have a crafty, pax 2 and Alfa, all these you set the temp turn it on and wait a minute for it to warm up and they are ready.

Tdtour,

mitchgo61

Hello all

Looking into the FF2, is there a technique to use it? Like the MFLB? Or is it an easy turn it on and use it? If there is a technique how hard is it to learn. I have a crafty, pax 2 and Alfa, all these you set the temp turn it on and wait a minute for it to warm up and they are ready.

Not really. It's on-demand convection so there's no heat-up time like the vapes you mention. But unlike the Ff1 there's also no learning curve. Just press the buttons and draw, and you get vapor.

You should peruse the FF2 thread for much more info.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer-coming-2016.20281/

mitchgo61,

mulciber

Hello all

The FF1 had a HUGE technique issue. I was still learning it after a month. It was a point of contention with the device. The new one is much more direct and automatic, but I'm wondering how the battery issues are affected. I can't imagine it's not a power hog.

mulciber,

mulciber

That's unfortunate, it took me 3 runs. (1hour)

Part of the problem was that my first unit was defective, but I didn't know it until I heard from others. Company replaced it. Unit never reached temperature, and cooled down immediately after hitting its high point. But in general, the FF1 required a commitment to method that units like the Solo or the Focus do not, imo.

mulciber,

Deleted Member 1442

Hey guys, is the firefly 2 battery compatible with the ff1? If it is, has anyone tried it, and is the battery life any better? I heard they switched manufacturers for these batteries making a lot better but the mAh is the same. Thanks!

Deleted Member 1442,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom