Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobDaBomb

Some days my email is more interesting than others. :lol::nod:
Awesome!! :D Of course this happens literally only a few days after I finally purchased my Firefly xD, the only reason I waited so long was because I wanted to wait for the second model to come out... my luck lol.

But also mitch I just wanted to thank you again for being one of the greatest go to Firefly guru's here. You've helped a lot of people over this past year or so - thank you so much!

After your message I gave Firefly a call, rather than returning to the headshop as I figured they couldn't do anything on an opened item, and explained the situation. They put me through to VapeWorld to process my warranty for the battery. Additionally I decided to mention to the Firefly rep how my device came scratched right out of the box (on the top cover) and he had VapeWorld send me out a replacement cover as well! I couldn't be happier with the service :). It also came with a slight scratch/burn looking defect INSIDE the mouthpiece, and this of course isn't replaceable so I'd have to send the whole device in for it. Right now I'm not too concerned about that though, I'd rather just wait for the replacement battery to arrive so I could actually use the Firefly before sending it all in.

Now just the hardest part... the waiting game! The battery is supposed to arrive next Tuesday, so I'll report back then with results to find out if it was just the battery all along - hopefully not my device.

Happy new years to all!

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Awesome!! :D Of course this happens literally only a few days after I finally purchased my Firefly xD, the only reason I waited so long was because I wanted to wait for the second model to come out... my luck lol.
!

Well we still don't know how long we have to wait for it...could end up being a good move getting FF1 when you did.
But also mitch I just wanted to thank you again for being one of the greatest go to Firefly guru's here. You've helped a lot of people over this past year or so - thank you so much!

After your message I gave Firefly a call, rather than returning to the headshop as I figured they couldn't do anything on an opened item, and explained the situation. They put me through to VapeWorld to process my warranty for the battery. Additionally I decided to mention to the Firefly rep how my device came scratched right out of the box (on the top cover) and he had VapeWorld send me out a replacement cover as well! I couldn't be happier with the service :). It also came with a slight scratch/burn looking defect INSIDE the mouthpiece, and this of course isn't replaceable so I'd have to send the whole device in for it. Right now I'm not too concerned about that though, I'd rather just wait for the replacement battery to arrive so I could actually use the Firefly before sending it all in.
!

My pleasure...one of my favorite subjects! :p Glad things are working out for you. Have a fabulous new year with much enjoyable FF use!

mitchgo61,

WavyVaporizers

Been on the fence about buying a FF, would love to have an ETA on the 2! Hopefully some of the reliability/repair issues have been addressed...
I can't wait for FF2 I still have mine and I love every second with it. Maybe we will get some sorta temperature dial or something so it could sorta be like the grasshopper but better. Idk but the second it is available to be purchased my money is theirs. BTW my old name is banned probably for life it was StonedPerk. Happy new years guys. Stay wavy my friends

WavyVaporizers,

RobDaBomb

So just finished my first real bowl in my Firefly and all I can say is "WOW!". I couldn't wait for the replacement battery so I decided to go to my local BDT smoke shop to buy one, it was a 750 so the guy brought the battery down from 35 to 28 dollars... not too much of a deal but whatever, I'd pay more just to be able to use it tonight.

I'm absolutely amazed by the Firefly's efficiency -- I normally combust at least 2 grams of bud a day. But I just broke up a tiny nug with my fingers and popped it in the bowl... within 5 or 6 puffs I was already more medicated than my Zong could get ever me. Also I just have to say the vapor quality is amazing, I never thought something would top my old school Vapor Brothers but today that changed. The vapor is so clean and smooth I don't think I'd ever even want to use a waterpiece adapter for it like I do with most vaporizers.

not1qb.jpg

I didn't seem to get anything in the vapor path either, it all stayed in the bowl perfectly. I think this amount of finger grinding was fine. Also I find that the 'draw resistance' is perfect! It has just the right amount of resistance to help prevent you from drawing too quickly or hard. It felt very natural and I had it down within moments.

RobDaBomb

O yea! :tup: I just pulled out the fly for the first time in a minute and wow! :rockon: Gonna have to get me one of those new batteries though, see what all the buzz is about!:nod:

Awesome! Glad to hear you've broke the Firefly out again.

The new battery almost seems necessary, as a matter of fact I just placed an order on a new 770 a couple minutes ago. The 750 worked enough for me to try out the Firefly but I'm a little disappointed as its only lasting for about one full bowl (maybe one and a half if you're counting its extra weaker draws at the end of the charge). Tomorrow I'll probably take it back to my LHS and swap the 750 for an external charger to use when my new batteries arrive. If it was significantly cheaper then it's bigger 770 counterpart, then I'd keep it -- but it's definitely not worth it for the same price.

mitchgo61

I didn't seem to get anything in the vapor path either, it all stayed in the bowl perfectly. I think this amount of finger grinding was fine. Also I find that the 'draw resistance' is perfect! It has just the right amount of resistance to help prevent you from drawing too quickly or hard. It felt very natural and I had it down within moments.

And, if you wanna extract some more (because I can see some light brown in your ABV) do another finger-grind pass, put the finer ABV back in the FF, slap on a top screen (recommended once the grind is that fine) and hit it again. The combo of finer grind and slightly-raised temps thanks to the top screen will yield several more large hits (you may need to be aggressive with the heat button) and leave you with ABV that's >90% extracted. Give it a shot...definitely worth the small effort. :2c:

RobDaBomb

And, if you wanna extract some more (because I can see some light brown in your ABV) do another finger-grind pass, put the finer ABV back in the FF, slap on a top screen (recommended once the grind is that fine) and hit it again. The combo of finer grind and slightly-raised temps thanks to the top screen will yield several more large hits (you may need to be aggressive with the heat button) and leave you with ABV that's >90% extracted. Give it a shot...definitely worth the small effort. :2c:

Thanks! I'd love to get the most from it. Do you use the Firefly screens for this? Or recommend other types. Second, is it just me or does the Firefly get pretty hot to hold onto during these aggressive vape sessions? I found that regularly the device works best after a few nice draws to warm it up. It's not seeming to be as 'on demand' as I'd hope. Sure once its heated up a few times during long draws and becomes warm to the touch, then it starts working pretty well... but before you know it it becomes almost too hot to keep using during/after a full continuous bowl (without much space between hits).

I was hoping today would be my first true combustion free day in a while, but sadly when I was driving and trying to cook the bowl hot enough for it to give nice clouds each time there was some combustion during a nice long draw D:! Conveniently I just rolled my window down, took the top off the Firefly, then held the bottom of the device outside the window - facing the bowl outwards towards the oncoming wind so it would clear it. This worked perfectly for immediately clearing and cooling down the Firefly, but of course it left a slight combustion taste in the chamber.

The bud that combusted was from a dispensary pre-rolled blunt that I just loosened up to pour in the Firefly. It was grinded very finely, maybe even coffee grinder level, so perhaps that had something to do with the combustion.

I think its also good to note that after a full charge of the 750 battery (still waiting on the 770 to arrive before I return it) the glass chamber will light up orange/red bright enough to easily see its glow through the screen while drawing. After it heats up a bit from a couple hits or so, then the glow seems to diminish slightly. My Firefly is getting so hot I wouldn't doubt the heat could maybe be causing some damage to the batteries strength (potentially even the heating chamber over time?).

RobDaBomb,

mitchgo61

Thanks! I'd love to get the most from it. Do you use the Firefly screens for this? Or recommend other types. Second, is it just me or does the Firefly get pretty hot to hold onto during these aggressive vape sessions?

FF screens are too small, for me. Try Arizer V Tower "cyclone bowl" screens, or any close to 3/4 of an inch (or more than .5 inches anyway). You want it to sit on the edge of the glass bowl, but not affect the lid seal.

Yes, it gets hot. Very common. Set it on glass...heat seeps right out of it. :2c:

RobDaBomb

FF screens are too small, for me. Try Arizer V Tower "cyclone bowl" screens, or any close to 3/4 of an inch (or more than .5 inches anyway). You want it to sit on the edge of the glass bowl, but not affect the lid seal.

Yes, it gets hot. Very common. Set it on glass...heat seeps right out of it. :2c:

Great, I'll try to pick some up today from my LHS if they have any. Do you recommend always using a screen? Or only when using really fine grinded bud or when trying to extract ABV fully? Thanks.

My new 770 battery should be arriving in the mail tomorrow, so once it does I'll experiment with it for a few days fully before I put together an overall opinion of it. I'm hoping the new battery helps the bowl reach optimum temperature quicker so it doesn't need a few draws to get 'ready'.

RobDaBomb,

mitchgo61

Great, I'll try to pick some up today from my LHS if they have any. Do you recommend always using a screen? Or only when using really fine grinded bud or when trying to extract ABV fully? Thanks.'.

The latter, although it occurs on every bowl for me. I use a top screen at the tail end of every bowl....it raises heat, aids extraction, and keeps things neater during the final stages when the weed gets very powdery.

mitchgo61

Is it necessary to change the bottom screen on the firefly?

Eventually, yes. Probably. If you get debris under it, you'll wanna clean out the plate beneath the screen.

Once you remove it, though, it's very difficult to get a new one in place as flat as the original.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: RobDaBomb

Astedra

That's the thing on my crafty I can't even remove it and I'm worried about not being able to put in back in flat.

My new 770 battery should be arriving in the mail tomorrow, so once it does I'll experiment with it for a few days fully before I put together an overall opinion of it. I'm hoping the new battery helps the bowl reach optimum temperature quicker so it doesn't need a few draws to get 'ready'.

First draw is a long one for me with the new batteries kinda weak but fine on second draw on

Last edited by a moderator:

420engineer

lithium batteries shouldn't lose power, that is the power they deliver during use, as its capacity nears empty, the last bowl in mine is no different to the first.

420engineer,

RobDaBomb

lithium batteries shouldn't lose power, that is the power they deliver during use, as its capacity nears empty, the last bowl in mine is no different to the first.

I wish that my Firefly and/or battery followed logic, but sadly that is not the case for it :shrug:.

2w3zw2s.jpg

My 770 battery still hasn't arrived yet as I believe it's been held up by FedEx due to winter storms, but I was getting antsy so I went back to my favorite head shop and talked to them about everything. Next thing I know I was walking out of the building with a Crafty in my hand for 275 total. I like it for its consistency and 'group friendly' aspects, but honestly I can say the hits are nothing compared to even the few nice puffs I can get off my Firefly :haw:!

I'm hoping the new 770 battery will help my Firefly's glow be more 'regular' throughout an entire bowl (hopefully even two!! :D).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom