Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnshavenFish

I wish that my Firefly and/or battery followed logic, but sadly that is not the case for it :shrug:.

2w3zw2s.jpg

My 770 battery still hasn't arrived yet as I believe it's been held up by FedEx due to winter storms, but I was getting antsy so I went back to my favorite head shop and talked to them about everything. Next thing I know I was walking out of the building with a Crafty in my hand for 275 total. I like it for its consistency and 'group friendly' aspects, but honestly I can say the hits are nothing compared to even the few nice puffs I can get off my Firefly :haw:!

I'm hoping the new 770 battery will help my Firefly's glow be more 'regular' throughout an entire bowl (hopefully even two!! :D).

Your pics are normal bud, as the firefly holds onto heat it needs less 'glow' to achieve the same temp in bowl, so you should notice as the unit gets hotter the glow will dim, you can boost the power and get a brighter glow by releasing the button for a second mid draw and repressing it.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
hey, is it normal that sometimes when inhaling, small pieces from the herbs get sucked into my mouth/lung? I've been afraid to inhale more!

I think I will build a filter for the mouthpart.

Yes it happens. Try a coarser grind, or a steadier draw. You can also put a screen on top of the bowl, but just remember that makes it a bit hotter so factor that into your draw/button approach.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: RobDaBomb

nolupin

thanks for your replies. What kind of top screen are you using? The concentration pads?

nolupin,

mitchgo61

RobDaBomb

Finally received my 770 battery Friday and I can surely say that it made my entire weekend :D! With the 750 I was being annoyingly over-analytical because it was just so frustrating over these past couple weeks trying to use this new expensive vaporizer. I honestly was starting to think my Firefly was defective and it wasn't the battery, but luckily I was proved wrong!

I was immediately surprised when charging it... unlike the old, this one just had a constant blue pulse up until a solid blue light appeared to alert me it was complete 40 minutes later. Before the battery charging light would give me blue pulses accompanied by a range of other colors (such as green and red) appearing randomly. This never stopped either, hours later I could come back to it and it would still be playing with colors. Now I can actually tell when the battery is full, great success!

Another surprising thing is I see a red light when the battery is low/dead with the 770. My old battery would just give out, no light would appear. It'd go from green to nothing.

But... the greatest part of all.... I don't need to worry about getting the thing ROASTING hot to the touch before being able to get decent hits... I SEE VAPOR ON THE FIRST HIT NOW!! :D:whoa: :o:ko::luv:

The hits are incredibly consistent and easy to repeat now. Before it was a struggle, there was basically no on-demand use for me as it took a couple minutes of straight heating the chamber before the vapor would start coming. The worst part about it before was that if you set it down for a bit, there was no going back as it required even longer to re-heat the entire device.

Now I am thrilled to call the Firefly my favorite and trusty sidekick :tup:

mulciber

Question about battery: Is it true that the life span of the (new-type) FF batteries is only six months or so? I can fully charge my 5-month old battery, use it once, then let it sit overnight. The next day when I go to use it, it immediately goes to solid red, suggesting the battery is no longer charging properly. I chatted with FF support, and they provided a stock answer that "batteries have a limited life span", and that I could purchase a new battery (except that they were out of stock).

Is it the case, essentially, that a "hidden" cost of the FF is $60/year in replacement batteries?

If so, that is discouraging. Of course, the new model will presumably come with a new battery use profile, and I'm talking about a FF1.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

mulciber,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

mitchgo61

Question about battery: Is it true that the life span of the (new-type) FF batteries is only six months or so? I can fully charge my 5-month old battery, use it once, then let it sit overnight. The next day when I go to use it, it immediately goes to solid red, suggesting the battery is no longer charging properly. I chatted with FF support, and they provided a stock answer that "batteries have a limited life span", and that I could purchase a new battery (except that they were out of stock).

Is it the case, essentially, that a "hidden" cost of the FF is $60/year in replacement batteries?

Are you talking about the 770 batteries? If so, they really shouldn't go from fully charged to dead overnight, unless you really have exhausted its life. It's not about time...it's about full charges. These types of batteries can be fully charged somewhere around 350-400 times before they begin to lose their ability to hold a charge. Unless you've charged your battery twice every day for the past six months it shouldn't be close to useless.

Personally I'd think the average cost of FF batteries per year is more like 30 bucks...one battery per year, charged once a day. The math is pretty straightforward.

mulciber

Are you talking about the 770 batteries? If so, they really shouldn't go from fully charged to dead overnight, unless you really have exhausted its life. It's not about time...it's about full charges. These types of batteries can be fully charged somewhere around 350-400 times before they begin to lose their ability to hold a charge. Unless you've charged your battery twice every day for the past six months it shouldn't be close to useless.

Personally I'd think the average cost of FF batteries per year is more like 30 bucks...one battery per year, charged once a day. The math is pretty straightforward.

Thank you! Yes, this is a 770 mAh battery. The chat respondent may have given me the answer by suggesting that I'd been overcharging it a lot. I'd never given much thought to the fact that I have left it on charger long after the light had turned solid blue. Apparently you're supposed to pull it off the charger immediately at that point (I'd never seen a "final word" on that question before).

Thanks again, DGI

mulciber,
Reactions: mitchgo61

RelaxedNow

Thank you! Yes, this is a 770 mAh battery. The chat respondent may have given me the answer by suggesting that I'd been overcharging it a lot. I'd never given much thought to the fact that I have left it on charger long after the light had turned solid blue. Apparently you're supposed to pull it off the charger immediately at that point (I'd never seen a "final word" on that question before).

Thanks again, DGI

IMO, removing the battery from the charger immediately, or even close to it at times, is an unrealistic expectation. I don't know about you, but I oftentimes plug it in before I go to bed for the evening.......After all, I want a fresh charge for that occasional wake-n-bake session.

Frankly though, it doesn't bother me too much if I have to buy a new battery once a year, aside from the hassle and the environmental impact, as my consumption of weed is much lower when vaporizing versus smoking. Thus, the overall cost, even with an occasional new battery, is still lower.

RelaxedNow,

mitchgo61

[

Thanks again, DGI
IMO, removing the battery from the charger immediately, or even close to it at times, is an unrealistic expectation. I don't know about you, but I oftentimes plug it in before I go to bed for the evening.......After all, I want a fresh charge for that occasional wake-n-bake session.

Frankly though, it doesn't bother me too much if I have to buy a new battery once a year, aside from the hassle and the environmental impact, as my consumption of weed is much lower when vaporizing versus smoking. Thus, the overall cost, even with an occasional new battery, is still lower.

Yeah I don't think "immediately" is necessary, but in general the tips for ensuring maximum life with these types of batteries:

1. Don't leave in charger indefinitely
2. Don't charge while hot or too warm
3. Ideally, don't run it all the way down, or charge it all the way up.

Number 3 seems impossible with FF batteries. :lol::p

RelaxedNow

[

Yeah I don't think "immediately" is necessary, but in general the tips for ensuring maximum life with these types of batteries:

1. Don't leave in charger indefinitely
2. Don't charge while hot or too warm
3. Ideally, don't run it all the way down, or charge it all the way up.

Number 3 seems impossible with FF batteries. :lol::p

Yeah, maybe #3 isn't possible with the Firefly, though that may just be our perception. However, the ESV reportedly manages the charging so that #3 is always the case. On the other hand, my ESV is currently dead, so what do I know?

All I do know is that battery technology sucks. You'd think that it would have progressed further by now, considering how dependent we've become upon them. The guy who solves this problem will be richer than tonight's Powerball winner.

Reefwah

Hi,
I've recently received my Firefly vaporizer and I'm really struggling with it. I've had a good read through most of this thread and also the "best of" thread but can't seem to figure it out.

So... I'm a long time everyday smoker, these days mostly bongs.. this is my first vaporizer, I read and watched a lot of reviews and the firefly seemed to get a very good rap regarding the quality of vapor etc, there was a lot of mention about there being a bit of a "trick" or technique to getting good results.
Basically i can't seem to get anything from it. I've tried different grinds, packing the chamber less or more, different preheating times, different draw speeds / lengths, but mostly with the same results.

It pretty much goes like this:

First draw: feels like I'm inhaling mostly air, when i exhale there is a weed taste but almost no visible vapor.

Second draw: pretty much the same as first, sometimes just less vapour (also depending on how much is in the chamber i guess)

Third draw: usually it will be either be a very faint taste with again almost no vapor, or by this point it will have started getting a toasted kind of sickly sweet burnt popcorn kinda taste (not nice) and usually upon inspecting the chamber the weed is mostly brown, often a little charred in parts (in the centre of packing or at the bottom)

When I hold the heating button down generally it will glow orange, then it sort of fades and then flares up orange again etc... even when my finger is kept down.. I'm really looking for large hits because I'm trying to phase out the bong and phase in the vaporizer, so these little "Airy" puffs aren't satisfying.

all round its been a pretty disappointing experience, I went through about 3 grams on the first night trying to figure out how to get a decent hit and ultimately gave up and went back to the bong. it's depressing as hell watching reviews of people getting nice big hits, and reading about how fantastic it is, while I feel I am left with a warm weed smelling cellphone :(

Soooooo... what im trying to figure out is, is it:

A). my technique is poor and if a keep trying and trying something will change

B). the type of weed I have been using (I have only been able to try one strain, it's not the heaviest indoor type but it is also not by any means "shit weed")

C). could there be something faulty with the unit? I cant really pinpoint any exact problem other than it won't give me a hit (maybe something wrong with thermostat?)

Anyway, if anyone can shed any light on where I might be going wrong here I'd really appreciate anny input ... I REALLLLLLYY want to love this thing, I've wanted a handheld vaporizer for years and thought finally the technology was ready for it to be a worthwhile investment, but its pretty much back in the box :(

thanks.

Reefwah,

mitchgo61

First draw: feels like I'm inhaling mostly air, when i exhale there is a weed taste but almost no visible vapor.

Second draw: pretty much the same as first, sometimes just less vapour (also depending on how much is in the chamber i guess)

Third draw: usually it will be either be a very faint taste with again almost no vapor, or by this point it will have started getting a toasted kind of sickly sweet burnt popcorn kinda taste (not nice) and usually upon inspecting the chamber the weed is mostly brown, often a little charred in parts (in the centre of packing or at the bottom)
Welcome to FC.

Your first two draws lead me to believe you aren't getting a proper seal, though I admit your description of draw three makes me re-think that. The weed will not cook or char unless you are pulling hot air over it (because it's convection) so if you are seeing browning, somehow you are pulling hot air. Still, it could be the seal...possibly you have a leak somewhere.

Does the draw feel fairly restricted, or does it feel"airy"? If the latter, try this: squeeze (gently) the lid with your fingers while you draw. Getting bigger hits? If so, your seal is not quite right. Make sure there's no debris on it (wipe it gently with a damp ISO cloth). Make sure the lid is seated correctly. If you can get bigger, satisfactory hits by squeezing, but cannot get the lid to seal normally without squeezing, you likely need a new lid (some of them don't have enough magnet strength, another thing you can probably check yourself).

Try that, let us know what happens...if it's not the seal we can go down a few other rat-holes. :)

Last edited:

Reefwah

Welcome to FC.

Your first two draws lead me to believe you aren't getting a proper seal, though I admit your description of draw three makes me re-think that. The weed will not cook or char unless you are pulling hot air over it (because it's convection) so if you are seeing browning, somehow you are pulling hot air. Still, it could be the seal...possibly you have a leak somewhere.

Does the draw feel fairly restricted, or does it feel"airy"? If the latter, try this: squeeze (gently) the lid with your fingers while you draw. Getting bigger hits? If so, your seal is not quite right. Make sure there's no debris on it (wipe it gently with a damp ISO cloth). Make sure the lid is seated correctly. If you can get bigger, satisfactory hits by squeezing, but cannot get the lid to seal normally without squeezing, you likely need a new lid (some of them don't have enough magnet strength, another thing you can probably check yourself).

Try that, let us know what happens...if it's not the seal we can go down a few other rat-holes. :)

thanks for the reply :)

Okay, so the draw does feel pretty "airy". if i pull hard there is a little bit of resistance.
I tried squeezing the lid but it didn't seem to make much difference. It does make a notable whistling noise when you draw harder on it though, I feel like it still could be a seal problem or something.. when the lid is closed there is a small gap between the lid and the unit, and the gap is slightly larger on the chamber end . is this normal? also there are a couple of minor imperfections on the metal on the outer lip of the lid.. the are like little rough edges, but because they are on the outer lip I'm not sure they would affect the seal.. i can probably take some pictures of but its pretty tiny heh..

so yea ... still not sure

Reefwah,

mulciber

Okay, so the draw does feel pretty "airy". if i pull hard there is a little bit of resistance.
I tried squeezing the lid but it didn't seem to make much difference. It does make a notable whistling noise when you draw harder on it though, I feel like it still could be a seal problem or something.. when the lid is closed there is a small gap between the lid and the unit, and the gap is slightly larger on the chamber end . is this normal? also there are a couple of minor imperfections on the metal on the outer lip of the lid.. the are like little rough edges, but because they are on the outer lip I'm not sure they would affect the seal.. i can probably take some pictures of but its pretty tiny heh..

It sounds to me as though your unit may have construction problems. I'll briefly tell you that I had my FF for a month before I sent it back for repair. For that month I had some success with it, but was confounded by the seeming difficulty of getting it to work as it should. I frankly felt that there was some sort of subtle flaw with the firmware. Specifically, it seemed like it was hitting a suboptimal temperature point and cooling down. I sent the unit back, it was replaced (notably without any report on what the problem might have been) and the replacement unit worked properly. That said, there IS a technique to using the Firefly, and it can be tedious to master, but the device works completely as advertised when you do.

In your case, I recommend taking advantage of your warranty. When I contacted CS to explain that I thought my unit wasn't working as it should, I asked if there were any way to self-diagnose the problem, or whether there actually was one (the difference in performance between the 2nd and 1st units is that subtle). They basically said "why bother, you've got a warranty, let us worry about it". You'll lose your device for about 3 weeks in total, but that's all you've got to lose. Just contact CS first and clear it - get an RMA number. I recommend messaging them from the support section of the Firefly site.

Good luck!

mulciber,

mitchgo61

Hmmm. A picture would help. Doesn't sound like what you are describing is normal....the lid should look uniform across the entire device. Here's my best attempt to show you a normal know lid seating. (Can you show us pix, including the underside of the lid so I can see the seal?)

ea2gxs.jpg

miewxc.jpg

abh8r7.jpg

Reefwah

okay, here are some pictures... they are taken on my phone so not the best quality... lid seems to sit pretty similar to yours... let me know if there is any area in particular that you would like me to try and get a better shot of. the last two photos you can kind of see the imperfections on the inside of the outer lip of the lid.
(I know there is a fair bit of debris in some of the photos, mostly from taking lid on and off and experimenting with draw resistance. its in much better shape when im actually trying to use it ;) ))

another thing I thought I'd mention, I've tried drawing on the unit when it is off and cold and if I cover the vents on the front with my hand ( I assume this is where it draws air in?) it doesn't really alter the draw resistance, I thought maybe this could mean air is coming from somewhere else ?
12552586_10156354891660526_5703896363757488475_n.jpg

12552983_10156354891665526_1765167200769842078_n.jpg

10173737_10156354891670526_8875766566382569742_n.jpg

12509511_10156354891685526_7448177756482743806_n.jpg

12552761_10156354892060526_888875385897050288_n.jpg

12508831_10156354892360526_8681834939823552117_n.jpg

12573773_10156354892380526_4449964627995126885_n.jpg

12510488_10156354892355526_3682399209155926742_n.jpg

Reefwah,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom