Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Sometimes I just want a few hits. I suppose it's no big deal to put in more, but, I'm wondering if the concentrate pad might be useful.

I have never used them, but I suspect that you would find they will raise the heat in the bowl a little more than you might be comfortable with. Because they are stainless steel, they will create some level of conductive heat, which, for concentrates, is fine, since they vape better under higher temps. But dried herb might get even more charred than usual using the pads.

You might try some glass flowers...you can find them anywhere, including Amazon. Put a small amount of herb in the FF bowl, put three or so glass flowers on top....you'll be able to vape less, and the glass itself will probably raise the heat a tiny bit but not enough to cause you grief.

(I personally have no luck with small amounts in the FF, and I always pack a dense bowl...I find the vapor thickness and taste is much better than way. However, if I only want a couple hits rather than a full session, I just take a couple hits and set the FF down. You don't need to worry about finishing the bowl, and picking it up later and finishing it won't diminish the flavor.)

Mangos

I have never used them, but I suspect that you would find they will raise the heat in the bowl a little more than you might be comfortable with. Because they are stainless steel, they will create some level of conductive heat, which, for concentrates, is fine, since they vape better under higher temps. But dried herb might get even more charred than usual using the pads.

You might try some glass flowers...you can find them anywhere, including Amazon. Put a small amount of herb in the FF bowl, put three or so glass flowers on top....you'll be able to vape less, and the glass itself will probably raise the heat a tiny bit but not enough to cause you grief.

(I personally have no luck with small amounts in the FF, and I always pack a dense bowl...I find the vapor thickness and taste is much better than way. However, if I only want a couple hits rather than a full session, I just take a couple hits and set the FF down. You don't need to worry about finishing the bowl, and picking it up later and finishing it won't diminish the flavor.)
Sounds great, do you find it is harder to clean after leaving it down for a while in between sessions ?

Mangos,

mitchgo61

Sounds great, do you find it is harder to clean after leaving it down for a while in between sessions ?

No not really. It's easiest to clean when it's still a little warm after use, but finishing the load in separate sessions won't impact it.

Someone earlier on this thread asked about a very faint, fast-blinking green light, but I could find no response. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this. My FF is just a week old, I'm already on a replacement battery, and the blinking now has me wondering if I have a bad unit (both batteries blink).

The blinking is already faint (noticeable only in darkness) right after the unit has been charged (when turned to the off position). But it seems to get fainter and fainter as the FF is used, until it disappears completely -- right before it needs another charge. The unit is useable, but only for a couple of sessions at a time, which has me wondering if it's discharging prematurely.

Do you think it could be faulty? Or does everyone see this faint blinking in the dark?

Someone else mentioned this. I have never noticed it on any of my FFs. It seems likely it's discharging...you should call FF and ask them. They may have experience with this issue by now.

Thanks for your insight--makes sense. Although, I suppose raising the temperature for denser hits might be what some folks prefer. Using the concentrate pad would be an easy and safe "hack." Plus, it might save some battery life by raising the temperature quicker.

mitchgo61

Thanks for your insight--makes sense. Although, I suppose raising the temperature for denser hits might be what some folks prefer. Using the concentrate pad would be an easy and safe "hack." Plus, it might save some battery life by raising the temperature quicker.

Yes, a lot of us have used top screens to raise heat, with the added perk of keeping the port cleaner. I like using one in the latter stages of a bowl, where higher temps are necessary and messy herb is more prevalent. Another thing you might try if you're looking for a sort of "spacer" approach to using less weed. Just be sure to use a screen small enough to sit on the material and not the edge of the glass bowl (that won't make the chamber smaller).

So this was just posted on FB. I can't be the only one who reads this as an FF 2 tease...can I? :hmm:

pkNHieC.jpg

Yes, a lot of us have used top screens to raise heat, with the added perk of keeping the port cleaner. I like using one in the latter stages of a bowl, where higher temps are necessary and messy herb is more prevalent. Another thing you might try if you're looking for a sort of "spacer" approach to using less weed. Just be sure to use a screen small enough to sit on the material and not the edge of the glass bowl (that won't make the chamber smaller).

So this was just posted on FB. I can't be the only one who reads this as an FF 2 tease...can I? :hmm:

pkNHieC.jpg

Yes, you'd think it's a teaser based on the text. Yet, why show the old Firefly? Most teasers don't show anything or show a single image of the new item (thus the "tease"). Perhaps it's a reference to Firefly's own sense of it already being a paradigm shifting device. In that case, it's just more advertising.

If a new device is forthcoming soon, I'll be happy to see the company moving forward. However, I'll be annoyed that I just purchased the older device. I know this is always a conundrum in today's fast paced manufacturing world--to buy or wait for the next iteration. Some companies have exchange policies within a reasonable time period of purchasing a device and the next generation being released. For Apple, I believe it's 30 days, which is quite fair.

I've been experimenting with technique given my vaporizing preferences. In the quest for using smaller amounts of weed per session, I tried using a couple of nuggets (pieces) of herb. It filled up about 1/3 of the bowl. I preheated for about 10 seconds and inhaled slowly. The results: lots of visible vapor! And I got the usual great flavor and high.

So, it seems the Firefly can use smaller amounts (i.e., far less than a full bowl) quite successfully.

As others have stated, one of the great things about the Firefly is that it allows many different experiences. Draw slow for more visible vapor and higher heat. Draw fast for less visible vapor and lower heat. Use larger or smaller pieces of herb. There are many combinations to produce different effects.

The swappable batteriy is a bonus too. There's no charging downtime. As I've said, the only problem is there's no necessitated downtime. I might need rehab if I keep it up. :lol: Seriously, the vapor is amazingly mild on my lungs and with sativa strains, my energy level and productivity are just fine. As a recreational user, this is a blast!

Are there any other portables as versatile as the Firefly?

I'm new here, so I might be incorrect, but, it doesn't seem like the Firefly gets as much interest and/or excitement as other vaporizers on this forum. Yet, it receives amongst the most and best reviews from professional media sources. Am I missing out on better models (e.g., Mighty, Crafty, etc.)? Just curious....

mitchgo61

I'm new here, so I might be incorrect, but, it doesn't seem like the Firefly gets as much interest and/or excitement as other vaporizers on this forum. Yet, it receives amongst the most and best reviews from professional media sources. Am I missing out on better models (e.g., Mighty, Crafty, etc.)? Just curious....

"Better" is, of course, totally subjective. (I haven't personally tried the SB vapes you mentioned so I have no data for you.) But, what you are witnessing is the ebb and flow of FC...newer vapes often drive more discussion and traffic in the forums. The Crafty/Mighty came out last fall, and generated a lot of buzz (pun intended). Even now, there's less chatter in those forums. When the FF was new, this thread was hopping. Lately, not so much. Most vet FCers either have the FF and discussed it to death, or have no interest. Most new conversations seem to initiate with new users like you.

As to whether you are missing a better vape, I can't say....the more you use, the more perspective you will have. I personally have used a bunch of vapes and the FF is still pretty much my favorite, so I am not concerned that you are missing much...but that's a decision you have to make, and experience, for yourself.

Just wait'll the FF2 comes out and re-energizes this thread. Then katy bar the door, as they say...

mitchgo61

What changes do you want in a FF2?

Boy that's a good question. I would have said "battery life improvement" before the new batts came out...but they have largely solved the problem for me. I wouldn't mind some kind of built-in top screen...maybe a slightly smaller form factor...a little more consistency from unit to unit...but overall I have few complaints. Mostly, I trust the FF guys design-wise, and I'm really curious to see what they have in store for the FF 2. I know it's coming, I just don't know when, or what it'll be like. The mystery is pretty sexy at the moment. :):nod:

Boy that's a good question. I would have said "battery life improvement" before the new batts came out...but they have largely solved the problem for me. I wouldn't mind some kind of built-in top screen...maybe a slightly smaller form factor...a little more consistency from unit to unit...but overall I have few complaints. Mostly, I trust the FF guys design-wise, and I'm really curious to see what they have in store for the FF 2. I know it's coming, I just don't know when, or what it'll be like. The mystery is pretty sexy at the moment. :):nod:

I didn't try the older batteries, so I can't comment. The batteries on my new unit are perfectly fine. Of course, more capacity is always better, but, no complaints from me either. Size wise, a bit smaller or lighter wouldn't hurt, but, I'm not using this for maximum stealth. The physics of size versus functionality has limits. The Pax, for example, is wonderfully small and sleek, however, function (e.g., flavor, heat control, ease of cleaning) is sacrificed.

My wish list:

1. A battery meter. It would be nice to know how much power remains.

2. Eliminate the need for screens or other wear items (besides the battery). I don't mind the lack of a top screen. It's one less thing to replace. Perhaps the current design can be tinkered with to reduce herb traveling into the vapor path. This hasn't been an issue for me. I don't like the screen at the bottom of the bowl. It's an inelegant part of an otherwise wonderfully conceived device that doesn't belong in terms of design or function. Really, it's a pain to remove and replace. When I tried, I bent and damaged it. Putting in a new screen by following the recommendation of creating a dome enabled me to fit it in, but, the dome didn't completely flatten and now more herb gets under the screen than before.

Here's my idea.... Keep the existing hole pattern on the bottom of the bowl (obviously necessary for air flow), but, have a tube leading from the bottom of the bowl (on the inside of the device) to a clean out on the under side which can be opened to remove any herb that falls through the holes. With enough small holes in this tube, air flow will remain sufficient without enabling herb to enter the inside of the device. It would eliminate the need for a screen and thus would be a more elegant solution for maintaining the Firefly.

BlueSkyUSA

Hey Guys,
This is a little off topic but this is the only thread I have read (all 200+ pages). I learned about the arizer screens and ordered them before I read a few more pages. Now I have 8 sitting on my counter. Learned about the CVault and have a large one. Learned about Jyarz and ordered a few last week. Checked in with Jyarz customer service today just to check on the order. Just like FireFly's service I received excellent help from Jyarz. I was helped by Eliza who updated me on my shipments and even added an extra Jyarz bottle!! loving it!!

mitchgo61

1. A battery meter. It would be nice to know how much power remains.

2. Eliminate the need for screens or other wear items (besides the battery). I don't mind the lack of a top screen. It's one less thing to replace. Perhaps the current design can be tinkered with to reduce herb traveling into the vapor path. This hasn't been an issue for me. I don't like the screen at the bottom of the bowl. It's an inelegant part of an otherwise wonderfully conceived device that doesn't belong in terms of design or function. Really, it's a pain to remove and replace. When I tried, I bent and damaged it. Putting in a new screen by following the recommendation of creating a dome enabled me to fit it in, but, the dome didn't completely flatten and now more herb gets under the screen than before.

Battery meter is a great idea. As for the screen....I remember Sasha said he really doesn't think of the screen as something you need to replace or remove...he envisioned it more as a permanent feature that a user shouldn't have to worry about. If you never remove it, I guess, you may not need to worry about debris under it....but I'm not so sure. I think his vision of a perma-screen hasn't yet been realized....but I don't know if he would agree, or see the need to address the feature.

Truthfully I'm jonesing to see what they have in store.

SecureSwede

I used to be active around here but I just dont come around FC that much anymore. I love my firefly, they replaced my broken old batteries which eventually died out on me with new ones which seem to be working great. I hope they have a longer life span than the older models.

Mike M

Battery meter is a great idea. As for the screen....I remember Sasha said he really doesn't think of the screen as something you need to replace or remove...he envisioned it more as a permanent feature that a user shouldn't have to worry about. If you never remove it, I guess, you may not need to worry about debris under it....but I'm not so sure. I think his vision of a perma-screen hasn't yet been realized....but I don't know if he would agree, or see the need to address the feature.

Truthfully I'm jonesing to see what they have in store.
Do we know if they are updating the FF? The "change" reference could also refer to the changing of the lids, like swapping in another color, they have promoted that om their social media as well.

Mike M,

mitchgo61

Do we know if they are updating the FF? The "change" reference could also refer to the changing of the lids, like swapping in another color, they have promoted that om their social media as well.

Yes. Unequivocally....the CEO himself told me last month they were well under way on the FF2 process. He wouldn't mention features, or time frame. Major tease! :lol:

I used to be active around here but I just dont come around FC that much anymore. I love my firefly, they replaced my broken old batteries which eventually died out on me with new ones which seem to be working great. I hope they have a longer life span than the older models.

Dunno about life span yet, but I'm digging the new batteries. Except when I was testing them, I've yet to hit a red light. I do keep em charged, but the old ones died all the time on me. The new ones...never, so far. I really think they take the whole "battery life" complaints off the table.

hi_there

If it a bit disheartening that they released a $300 product with low quality batteries? Or was this just a bad run of units? I am sure they do internal testing on the quality of this stuff?

hi_there,

mitchgo61

If it a bit disheartening that they released a $300 product with low quality batteries? Or was this just a bad run of units? I am sure they do internal testing on the quality of this stuff?

Long story. First gen batteries were good, but not great. FF had relationship issues with the manufacturer...don't know the details, but they ended up delivering a lousy product on the second run, last summer and fall. FF cut the cord, found a new manufacturer, and now the batts are better than ever. If you didn't get a 770 with your new FF, call them and they will send you one.

Mike M

Yes. Unequivocally....the CEO himself told me last month they were well under way on the FF2 process. He wouldn't mention features, or time frame. Major tease! :lol:

Great, just what I need, a new obsession.

I love the FF, but feel that the chamber could work better at holding the material in place. If I inhale too deeply, the stuff can just fly around, get stuck to the top of the lid and not get heated. I use a screen as I get to the end of the bowl to fix this problem, but then you lose a lot of the great taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom