Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
First review....

I won't bother repeating everything others have written except to say the reviews are quite accurate. I'll add, however, the learning curve isn't uniquely difficult. I don't have lots of experience with other vaporizers, but, they all require some "learning." Regarding the battery criticism, the new battery works just fine. Plus, the ability to swap batteries means extra power is always available and the device won't fail due to the battery given the ability to replace it.

What I like most about the Firefly is the "on demand" heating. It means a hit is instantly available and constant herb cooking doesn't occur. I suppose flavor is subjective, but, it seems "clean" and "cool" to me.

I only have two problems/concerns about the Firefly. First, unless the herb is sufficiently coarse and enough is packed in the bowl, tiny bits can be sucked into one's mouth. Not so pleasant. However, I like the elegant design which negates the need for a top screen. This means less cleaning and less draw resistance. I'll take this design trade-off.

Second, I have concerns about the convection heating which requires the inhaled air to pass over the heating element. In a properly design conduction vaporizer, the heating element and other parts can be completely isolated from the air path. I don't know for certain, but it seems the Pax is designed this way.

So, my ultimate question is: are any toxins being inhaled besides the herb? Unfortunately, Firefly claims the heating element material is proprietary. I think they should either reveal the materials for the sake of health concerns and/or provide test results about toxicity.

Legal in Washington State,

Mike M

First review....

I won't bother repeating everything others have written except to say the reviews are quite accurate. I'll add, however, the learning curve isn't uniquely difficult. I don't have lots of experience with other vaporizers, but, they all require some "learning." Regarding the battery criticism, the new battery works just fine. Plus, the ability to swap batteries means extra power is always available and the device won't fail due to the battery given the ability to replace it.

What I like most about the Firefly is the "on demand" heating. It means a hit is instantly available and constant herb cooking doesn't occur. I suppose flavor is subjective, but, it seems "clean" and "cool" to me.

I only have two problems/concerns about the Firefly. First, unless the herb is sufficiently coarse and enough is packed in the bowl, tiny bits can be sucked into one's mouth. Not so pleasant. However, I like the elegant design which negates the need for a top screen. This means less cleaning and less draw resistance. I'll take this design trade-off.

Second, I have concerns about the convection heating which requires the inhaled air to pass over the heating element. In a properly design conduction vaporizer, the heating element and other parts can be completely isolated from the air path. I don't know for certain, but it seems the Pax is designed this way.

So, my ultimate question is: are any toxins being inhaled besides the herb? Unfortunately, Firefly claims the heating element material is proprietary. I think they should either reveal the materials for the sake of health concerns and/or provide test results about toxicity.
I put a screen on top to keep out the tiny bits. I know it kind of defeats the purpose (slightly diminishes the taste) but it does help keep it clean, and bits out of your mouth. I don't use it at first, but towards the end of the bowl.

Also, I have found, to the get the best heat, is to pulse the button (not inhaling when you release the button, inhaling quickly brings the temp down), and inhale very very slowly, almost like you are taking a slow normal breath. I seem to get the best results that way.

Mike M,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
First review....

A. NO toxins. Air path is sealed off and air only flows over the coil and into the lid vapor paths. Go back and read the last two pages, you'll see this discussed (and, frankly, debunked). Trust me, a couple weeks with the FF and the word "Pax" will leave a bad taste in your mouth...literally. The FF will spoil your tastebuds something fierce. In a good way!

B. Practice, and steady draws, will eliminate the debris issue. Even without a top screen, I never suck particles into my mouth. All part of the wondrous FF learning curve.

Last edited:

HD Springer

I have to agree with mitch and mike.Give it a good 2-3 weeks of steady use and you will be totally amazed by the effectiveness of the ff.In my opinion the only true draw back for myself for a properly working ff is that the vapor can get warm and dry on my throat on the second bowl when you run it consecutively.And I've noticed when my unit is real cold thats when it has the best chance to combust. But I can tell a dif. in the taste and heat before combustion occurs now so as soon as i think things are a changing i stop inhaling.

A. NO toxins. Air path is sealed off and air only flows over the coil and into the lid vapor paths. Go back and read the last two pages, you'll see this discussed (and, frankly, debunked). Trust me, a couple weeks with the FF and the word "Pax" will leave a bad taste in your mouth...literally. The FF will spoil your tastebuds something fierce. In a good way! (FYI, the Pax isn't a convection vape...it's classic oven conduction.)

B. Practice, and steady draws, will eliminate the debris issue. Even without a top screen, I never suck particles into my mouth. All part of the wondrous FF learning curve.

I read the pages regarding the air path and that's why I deliberately didn't claim the air travels over the circuitry or battery compartment. There are two small openings for the coil in which, theoretically, ambient air could enter. However, the physics of air traveling the path of least resistance should result in very little to no effect (unless there are highly toxic materials in these areas which leach toxic air). My concern is about any possible effects of the heating coil, which nobody discussed. It's an unavoidable characteristic of a convection vaporizer to inhale air which must pass over the heating element. The materials of the compartment which hold the herb, the heating element, and the area(s) in which the air enters the device are all relevant for potential contamination.

With a conduction vaporizer (as I correctly referred to the Pax ), it's possible to completely avoid air making contact with the heating element. Instead, the heating chamber and vapor path are the relevant materials. Of course, a heating chamber and vapor path can be made of more or less toxic materials.

Quite frankly, I don't know which of these materials might be toxic at the operating temperatures. That's why I asked. If consumers use vaporizers, in part, to decrease the health consequences of inhaling combusted herbs, then we, as consumers, ought to ask these questions and patronize companies that provide the safest vaporizers based on providing evidence of negligible toxicity.

Regarding inhaling bits of herb, I seem to have figured it out already. As I stated, it's an acceptable design decision given the advantages of maximizing air flow and minimizing additional parts. It's an elegantly simple design that requires some technique. All vaporizers require some knowledge of how to extract the best hit.

Last edited:
Legal in Washington State,

mitchgo61

I read the pages regarding the air path and that's why I deliberately didn't claim the air travels over the circuitry or battery compartment. There are two small openings for the coil in which, theoretically, ambient air could enter. However, the physics of air traveling the path of least resistance should result in very little to no effect (unless there are highly toxic materials in these areas which leach toxic air). My concern is about any possible effects of the heating coil, which nobody discussed. It's an unavoidable characteristic of a convection vaporizer to inhale air which must pass over the heating element. The materials of the compartment which hold the herb, the heating element, and the area(s) in which the air enters the device are all relevant for potential contamination.

With a conduction vaporizer (as I correctly referred to the Pax ), it's possible to completely avoid air making contact with the heating element. Instead, the heating chamber and vapor path are the relevant materials. Of course, a heating chamber and vapor path can be made of more or less toxic materials.

Quite frankly, I don't know which of these materials might be toxic at the operating temperatures. That's why I asked. If consumers use vaporizers, in part, to decrease the health consequences of inhaling combusted herbs, then we, as consumers, ought to ask these questions and patronize companies that provide the safest vaporizers based on providing evidence of negligible toxicity.

Regarding inhaling bits of herb, I seem to have figured it out already. As I stated, it's an acceptable design decision given the advantages of maximizing air flow and minimizing additional parts. It's an elegantly simple design that requires some technique. All vaporizers requires some knowledge of how to extract the best hit.

You are right, I misread your Pax comment, my apologies. (I lose the ability to comprehend simple language sometimes! :lol:) I still think you'll forget all about the Pax, or any conduction vape, after living with the ethereal herb flavor you get from the FF.

As for your concerns...I'm not sure there's any way to alleviate them. Since FF won't disclose the material the coil is made from, we either have to take their word for the safety of the unit...or decide we don't want to risk it and therefore cease using the FF. While I don't expect my viewpoint is particularly persuasive, I'm personally not worried about it at all, and I'm sure the FF is as safe as any other device, if not safer. I've had the chance to get to know the FF folks and they are smart, honest people who use their own device a lot. That may not mean anything to some users, but to me it's very emblematic of FF's seriousness and quality. I have never really worried about the proprietary coil material, but perhaps I'm in the minority....

I agree that a customer should ask these questions. Given a few are unanswered, we all have to make our own personal decisions about the FF. I've been using mine, constantly, for 15 months, so I guess my decision is pretty obvious. ;)

Last edited:

hi_there

I was close to buying the FF but the Air came out. I have had a chance to use my friends FF and I found it just OK. For me the form factor was not great and it was much heavier than I thought it would be. I have been a little shocked with the quality issues I have read about in this thread and other places on the web but I love the forward thinking technology, so I will keep my eyes on this company in the years to come.

hi_there,
You are right, I misread your Pax comment, my apologies. (I lose the ability to comprehend simple language sometimes! :lol:) I still think you'll forget all about the Pax, or any conduction vape, after living with the ethereal herb flavor you get from the FF.

As for your concerns...I'm not sure there's any way to alleviate them. Since FF won't disclose the material the coil is made from, we either have to take their word for the safety of the unit...or decide we don't want to risk it and therefore cease using the FF. While I don't expect my viewpoint is particularly persuasive, I'm personally not worried about it at all, and I'm sure the FF is as safe as any other device, if not safer. I've had the chance to get to know the FF folks and they are smart, honest people who use their own device a lot. That may not mean anything to some users, but to me it's very emblematic of FF's seriousness and quality. I have never really worried about the proprietary coil material, but perhaps I'm in the minority....

I agree that a customer should ask these questions. Given a few are unanswered, we all have to make our own personal decisions about the FF. I've been using mine, constantly, for 15 months, so I guess my decision is pretty obvious. ;)

I agree with your overall assessment of the likely relative safety. In fact, reading your many comments had much to do with my decision to purchase the Firefly and enjoy it relatively worry free (I won't blame you if we discover we've been inhaling some awful chemical :lol:). And, thanks to your technique suggestions, I got good results from the start.

So far I'm really enjoying my Firefly. Maybe that's the only bad thing I can say. I'm using it too much. :doh:

As of now, there's no Pax (or other vaporizer) in my future. If maximum stealth and portability were important, then I'd consider it.

From Firefly's website:

"Q: What is the heating element made of?

A: The heating element is made of a proprietary, FDA-foodsafe super-alloy manufactured in the USA. Unlike cheap Nichrome elements, it does not break down under repeated heat cycling."

Maybe not all the information I'd like, but it indicates that Firefly takes safety serious. I appreciate this somewhat technical--in an overly consumer friendly way--explanation.

mitchgo61

From Firefly's website:

"Q: What is the heating element made of?

A: The heating element is made of a proprietary, FDA-foodsafe super-alloy manufactured in the USA. Unlike cheap Nichrome elements, it does not break down under repeated heat cycling."

Maybe not all the information I'd like, but it indicates that Firefly takes safety serious. I appreciate this somewhat technical--in an overly consumer friendly way--explanation.

This subject always reminds me of something @genericandorwittyusername said at the end of his tear-down post over a year ago:

"I can't even imagine what type of metal the heating coil is made of to be able to withstand 50 watts running through it, rapid heat cycling, and such high temperatures in ambient air. Like I said before, light bulbs flame out in seconds without an inert gas protecting them."

In that light, maybe it makes sense that they are keeping this "proprietary".

I don't know enough about vaporizer engineering to explain how the Firefly does what it does. But I do know enough to appreciate an elegantly designed product when I see one.

I agree! The design is not only nice to look at (although, I think the Pax, for example, is slicker), but it's highly functional. After reading some articles about the founders of the Firefly, I can appreciate Apple's influence on their design. Apple doesn't create the slickest products or those with all of the latest technology. Instead, for Apple, digital devices need to have an analog feel and function because that's how we, as human beings, best interact with devices. The virtual needs to reproduce something of the physical. For the Firefly, it's a technically sophisticated reproduction of a traditional pipe and lighter using convection (and a whole bunch of hidden design/technology). I so appreciate the manual button heating control and visual access to the lighted herb bowl. Even the heft gives a sense of the device's substance. Plus, it's easy to clean.

The more I use it, the more I appreciate how intuitive it is.

Last edited:

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I currently only have one "good" battery but ripped through a couple loads yesterday. I am constantly blown away by the level of smoothness this product provides despite the small size. Taste is very good, not on par with the Evo or Herbie but still very good. I might venture to say it provides the smoothest hit of any vape i own prior to water filtration, at least for the first hit. The SS trenches are genius and it makes me wonder why more companies dont follow a similiar vapor path model that concentrates on cool vapor and durability over taste.

The FF will always hold a place in my lineup.

RxPlorer

Hey to anyone from Firefly that watches this forum:

I'd like to sing the praises of Firefly's support department, and specifically commend Patrick for his fantastic customer service!

I just recently received my warranty replacement for an FF. The new package arrived only 6 days after I sent mine in for inspection. There were no hoops to jump through, no long waiting and wondering... simply a brand new beautiful FF in practically no time at all.

One small thing - the replacement arrived with a (functional) 750mAh battery instead of the new 770 model that I was hoping to see. I was getting about 12 draws on a fully charged battery.

I sent one quick email to support, asking if there was a way to ensure that I would receive a 770mAh model, if I ordered a new battery online. To my VERY PLEASANT surprise, Patrick immediately took it upon himself to send out a new 770 battery the same day, no hassle, no delay, NO CHARGE!

I've simply never experienced such an amazing level of customer support. In every interaction with Patrick and the rest of the support team, I have felt that the team at Firefly genuinely cares about me as customer.

Thank you Patrick, and all of you at Firefly. :cheers:

mitchgo61

Hey to anyone from Firefly that watches this forum:

I'd like to sing the praises of Firefly's support department, and specifically commend Patrick for his fantastic customer service!

I sent one quick email to support, asking if there was a way to ensure that I would receive a 770mAh model, if I ordered a new battery online. To my VERY PLEASANT surprise, Patrick immediately took it upon himself to send out a new 770 battery the same day, no hassle, no delay, NO CHARGE!

I've simply never experienced such an amazing level of customer support. In every interaction with Patrick and the rest of the support team, I have felt that the team at Firefly genuinely cares about me as customer.

Thank you Patrick, and all of you at Firefly. :cheers:

I know, they are awesome, right? I have literally never owned anything that was supported as effortlessly and painlessly as FF supports their devices.

It appears from your story and a few others that some FFs are still shipping with the old batteries, and FF are replacing them gratis. I think they very much want to flush the old batteries out of the user base. As do the rest of us!

mitchgo61,
Reactions: ataxian
A. NO toxins. Air path is sealed off and air only flows over the coil and into the lid vapor paths. Go back and read the last two pages, you'll see this discussed (and, frankly, debunked). Trust me, a couple weeks with the FF and the word "Pax" will leave a bad taste in your mouth...literally. The FF will spoil your tastebuds something fierce. In a good way! (FYI, the Pax isn't a convection vape...it's classic oven conduction.)

One t
I was close to buying the FF but the Air came out. I have had a chance to use my friends FF and I found it just OK. For me the form factor was not great and it was much heavier than I thought it would be. I have been a little shocked with the quality issues I have read about in this thread and other places on the web but I love the forward thinking technology, so I will keep my eyes on this company in the years to come.

The problem is that you cannot judge the FF in 1 minute, not a day, not even a week. It took 4 weeks before i got the hang of it, now its just awesome.

Its the most efficient vape out there imho. Since you only heat up the stuff when required, not let it linger in some oven chamber which is always and potentially wasting materials.

Marctraider,

BreeJay

I've had this vape for ten days now. Very impressed. One of the rare cases where something works as advertised. Thick, massive, tasty vapor on demand. In seconds. Just fabulous.

One question though.
The original battery was a 750. It was likely defective ( wouldn't hold a charge ). With the replacement 770 I suddenly found that instead of easily charring my bowls, It now takes effort. Is this a known thing? Can a bad battery run hot?

BreeJay,

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker

I just recently received my warranty replacement for an FF. The new package arrived only 6 days after I sent mine in for inspection. There were no hoops to jump through, no long waiting and wondering... simply a brand new beautiful FF in practically no time at all.. :cheers:

Not everyone gets anywhere near that service. Consider yourself lucky.

I've been trying to do something about my weak performer since December 10. After several email exchanges over several weeks resulted in them telling me to clean it better or to make sure I charged it fully, or if I understood how to press, a button, I gave up and threw the device into a drawer. Two weeks ago I am going decided to contact them again and finally gave up and just ordered a new battery.

I did email them again and asked if they would at least make sure the battery was shipped in a timely manner, as in remembered how exceedingly long the device originally took to arrive. I was told it world arrive today, but It still isn't here and has been in the mail for two weekends now. As it stands, my new Vapman I ordered to replace my Firefky three days after I bought my own warranty replacement battery is scheduled to arrive from freaking SWITZERLAND before a replacement battery from a local Washington state company located literally 20 miles from my front door.

So you got an immediate free replacement no questions asked and I got jerked around for three months, had to pay myself to replace a defective battery they should have covered under warranty three months ago.

I really hesitated to come in here to share my story, as I always am able to solve such problems with a manufacturer before feeling any need to share the story in a public forum.But if their customer service bends over backwards for some and downright screws others over, it's really not all that cool

However, I do get a brand new Vapman out of the deal.

mod note: Edited to remove rules violations.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
I'm sorry that I broke the rules and used language that may have offended other members here or the manufacturer of this device. If I have upset anybody personally, I am especially sorry.

While I am disappointed that Firefly doesn't honor their warranty consistently, I'm aware that life isn't fair and should have been better behaved in here.

mitchgo61

I'm sorry that I broke the rules and used language that may have offended other members here or the manufacturer of this device. If I have upset anybody personally, I am especially sorry.

While I am disappointed that Firefly doesn't honor their warranty consistently, I'm aware that life isn't fair and should have been better behaved in here.

It sucks that you've had such a frustrating experience. If this were me, I would call them (not sure if you've called...you mentioned email) and politely express how upset I am over the lack of service. Then I would follow up with an email recapping my experiences. You're probably sick of trying, and I don't blame you, but I have a feeling if your frustration gets communicated to them, they will bend over backwards to make you happy. But again I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up and moving on at this point.

Good luck with whatever happens.

petey

Someone earlier on this thread asked about a very faint, fast-blinking green light, but I could find no response. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this. My FF is just a week old, I'm already on a replacement battery, and the blinking now has me wondering if I have a bad unit (both batteries blink).

The blinking is already faint (noticeable only in darkness) right after the unit has been charged (when turned to the off position). But it seems to get fainter and fainter as the FF is used, until it disappears completely -- right before it needs another charge. The unit is useable, but only for a couple of sessions at a time, which has me wondering if it's discharging prematurely.

Do you think it could be faulty? Or does everyone see this faint blinking in the dark?

petey,
A few more comments as I've been using the Firefly (way too much):

- I use the Firefly too much. It's so darn easy to use. Nearly instant user-initiated heat. Take a few tokes...go away...come back...more tokes.... It's an endless cycle of vaporizing. This device requires will power.

- So many posts discuss visible vapor. I can achieve visible vapor with the Firefly with a slower draw and heating the entire time. A more cooked bowl contributes as well. However, the only time I cough or experience irritation is with visible vapor. Here's the point: (1) visible vapor isn't necessary to achieve the effects of marijuana (not sure about other herbs); (2) visible vapor isn't necessarily desirable if one is solely seeking the pharmacological effects of marijuana. It's very counter-intuitive coming from the combusting world. At best, vaporizing isn't about the visible vapor; it's about the effects without the lung irritants.

More to come....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom