1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Firefly Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Depav, Nov 5, 2013.

1. natural farmer

natural farmer god is in the neurons...

My humble opinion is that if your load is flying around when you draw then you are definitely drawing too hard and you will not reach the high temps the FF can do... You also get some tuneling to the load if you draw too hard and the baking of it is not even.... Just my two cents.

2. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

You really should be able to achieve not just visible but thick vapor with the FF, even on a unit that runs to the cool side, especially when using a top screen. Keep at it, it's likely a matter of practice. (Try holding the button for a four count prior to hitting, make sure you are drawing at the speed where you just start to feel resistance, keep the vents clear, hold the button down longer when drawing...the usual.) I find it helps to pack a fairly dense bowl, but others get great results with less material. Play with the variables, but visible thick vapor is not only achievable but should be status quo should you so desire.

I finish my FF abv in my VTE at about 410 or so F. It provides one or two pretty sizeable hits, but definitely taste and effect are what you'd expect from the final 5% of the material at high temps.

3. steama

steama analog dog

I notice tunneling also occurs when the load is cached. These things are good to notice and share. :)

4. EveryDayAmnesiac

EveryDayAmnesiac I am a stupid asshole.

When did I say anything about tunneling or flying bits? :lol:

I do agree with your advice though.

I should clarify I don't have problems seeing my vapor production anymore, not since the first couple weeks, except with some strains.

Even with advanced technique, I have a strain that just won't get dark or produce much vapor. Even putting it through the HI, it doesn't get dark unless I take it far enough to practically burn it...

So I wouldn't say that just because you're not seeing mega vapor means you're using it "incorrectly," necessarily.

5. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

IMO tunneling is a pretty standard characteristic of a convection vaporizer. I think of it as a little invisible "heat tornado". Some convection vapes exhibit this better than others. If you look at (for example) the bowl of a VG or SSV/LSV/DBV after the first hit, you see evidence of exactly where the "heat tornado" was going through.

The FF is no different IME.

:peace:

6. euph0ric1

euph0ric1 Floating on.

Moving from a medium grind to a fine grind (with a trusty topscreen) changed my entire Firefly game. I do still hand-grind, not to dust, but just fine. When using a medium grind, I experience much more resistance, "heat tunneling", and general lack of extraction.

Im no expert, but from what I've observed, and even read in this very thread, decreasing the surface area of the herb particles greatly increases heat distribution and vapor extraction. And someone just mentioned pulling too hard doesn't let you get the highest of temps and best vapor.. But I seem to be having an opposite effect.

Since grinding finer, my draws have been smoother, producing much more vapor with less lung power. If I draw harder Im not experiencing low temp issues at all, in fact it only results in large mushroom cloud hits that make me cough and give me a head-change. But.. Im not always after that. I can pull steadily, almost gently, and consistently get substantial vapor until its completely milked to a dark brown ABV.

Again, this may just be my strain, and others may work best with a medium/coarse tear.. But you should at least try both ways yourself and make sure.

ShayWhiteGrow likes this.
  7. dirty_honest

dirty_honest Active Member

6 months in and I'm still in love with my Firefly... if not more. I use it everyday and it still looks brand new. Also, hardly any coughing...just pure delicious vapor. Why would anyone bother with a shitty vapor pen when this is in the market?!

Like if you agree.

8. abhishek

abhishek Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me , how much time do u spend maintaining and cleaning firefly...is it too much work, if compared to Solo

9. ShayWhiteGrow

ShayWhiteGrow vAPEhOPPER

I basically maintain my Fly and Solo the same way. After use, while it is still kinda hot, I give it a wipe in the bowl area with a tissue after I dump and blow it out. Then I wipe the chrome quickly as well. I also lightly wipe the window. (not too hard because you can screw up the gasket here). Pressure on the window is not your friend:disgust:. With the solo I do a wipe while hot too with a tissue then I pop the glass piece into a tube from planet vape, no smell that way. I never get any particles in the channels of the Fly, but I would say after about a month I would take an iso wipe to the lid, bowl, and chrome, all of two minutes for a deep clean. :tup: The solo stem I soak overnight and its good to go. Both IMO are pretty low maintenance cleans:2c:

10. EveryDayAmnesiac

EveryDayAmnesiac I am a stupid asshole.

I guess that's going to depend on how much you're going to be using it.

And let me say, I treat my Firefly with much less love than @ShayWhiteGrow :lol:

For a regular ol' cleanin', it ain't much. If you clean it and maintain it regularly, then it's just a matter of a cotton swab and some ISO and some quick back-and-forth on the SS bits. You might need to do a little bit of light scrubbin' on the window, but speaking as someone who doesn't clean his FF often, it's still not much work or much time, once you do decide to clean it.

I'm still not sure whether it worth cleaning under the screen more than once or month a so. :shrug:

I clean mine about once a week these days? Back when I was using it heavily, maybe every 5 days or so, just to keep it looking nice. Lots of FF users clean it more often, and some get bothered by the debris that will accumulate on the window, but.... eh. I don't feel the need to clean mine until I feel the performance is being affected, albeit to a small degree.

I'd say slightly longer than a Solo (depending on how long you soak the Solo stem), but not enough to make a difference.

:2c:

abhishek and ShayWhiteGrow like this.
  11. mitchgo61

I alternate between my two FF's, using each every other day, and I clean each of them daily. Takes me about five or six minutes to wipe the surfaces with a paper towel slightly damp with ISO. Using the Iolite Wispr screen allows me to quickly pop it out and blow/brush out any debris that might've hit the stainless steel plate. I very gently wipe the window with the damp paper towel, just enough pressure and ISO to clean it but avoid dislodging the gasket (which I think is a small risk if the screws are properly tightened).

Overall five-six minutes a day, basically a full cleaning every three full bowls. If you wait too long to clean it, it will definitely take you longer than five minutes. (The window in particular gets pretty gunky pretty quickly.)

12. vapin baby boomer

vapin baby boomer Active Member

I like to keep mine clean between loads if at all possible. After dumping the ABV, I try to blow out the bowl. Then I dampen a bit of paper towel with ISO and gently clean off the glass ring, ten wit a clean piece of paper tower and ISO I wipe down the stainless steel base and the stainless steel vapor track on the cover. Good to go in about a minute.

I just got word the my broken Firefly was received in Seattle on Friday, repaired immediately and sent out on Saturday. Incredible service. Fed Ex projects my baby will be back home Thursday, We're gonna celebrate together when she gets home!

13. FrozenTundra

FrozenTundra New Member

I wipe out the bowl and brush off the surface each load. (30-45s) However I only break out the iso and clean the window/bowl/vaporpath every ~8-10 bowls. I use a 2 q-tips and iso, one for the bowl/vaporpath and one for the window. Then I use papertowel and some iso and do a quick rub down on the ss plate. (3-5mins total)

14. Mynameismud

Mynameismud But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie.

I don't clean mine as much as others. But it really depends on how you use each of them.

With my solo, I cleaned the stem ever few weeks but for the most part the SS area always stayed relatively clean cause I always emptied it out when hot and wiped down afterwards...

The biggest issue with the FF getting dirty is the glass port. Which happens relatively fast. However, the FF is super easy to clean. Especially with those large wipes I posted a few pages back. Literally 2-3 swipes and it's brand new. Super easy to clean and even with heavy heavy use I still only clean it once a week or so and it only takes a few seconds

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  15. ktom1991

ktom1991 Member

What everyone else said but if I've been running alot of BHO through my FF I'll take a post it note and scoop all the gooey stuff off the lid and and smoke it before taking iso to the lid.

16. DDave

DDave Vape Wizard

Awesome! What an amazing spot!

Being a fan of the great outdoors and of animals as well, this is just jaw dropping!

17. grokit

grokit power cosmic

I've never removed my bottom screen. Using a top screen means I only need to swipe the lid with iso every few uses. I only use the window to verify the glow, it still works for this when dirty and with the top screen.

18. TooflessGranny

TooflessGranny Member

It is the 4th day of using my FF, and I have to say I'm just delighted with it. I'm not worrying about chasing big clouds of vapor; I apparently don't require those, at least at this stage, so that's fine.

All my worrying about my asthma was definitely unwarranted. Not only is using the FF NOT aggravating my asthma, the herb's effect on my bronchial tract is actually beneficial!

So yay! :love:

19. mitchgo61

Wow! Although I didn't remove mine for the first month I had my original Silver FF, and there really wasn't much debris under it when I finally removed it. Seems like the process of removing and re-installing made the problem worse, because I could never again get the screen to lie perfectly flat...which is one reason I'm digging the Iolite screens so much, no work on my part, just drop it in. (Btw you can also verify the glow by looking through the vents on the sides, which I find easier to see than through the window if there's buildup on it.)

Glad to hear you are enjoying so much. Welcome to the FF club! (We meet every day. :rofl:)

20. MaxVapor

MaxVapor The Professor

Had my FF for about a week and a half, and I have to say I am definitely pleased with the purchase. I have been trying various techniques for draw, heating time, grind, etc. So far I can get consistent small hits (measured by vapor production) with occasional nice medium hits with a bit more visible vapor. What I love about it is the flavor, easily the best of any vape my limited experience has encountered.

Wish I had time for a more comprehensive review but work is being a beeatch. So instead here are some pics of it in it's new home along with a before/after shot of my abv. The little green box is an electronics component storage box with a flip up lid, it's embedded in the foam and I keep all the cleaning tools in there. Doob tube makes an excellent stash holder and the top doubles as a tamper and fits the bowl perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seren, grokit, ShayWhiteGrow and 12 others like this.
  21. euph0ric1

euph0ric1 Floating on.

@MaxVapor , nice case / setup!! Lookin good. Glad you're enjoying so far.

22. MaxVapor

MaxVapor The Professor

Yeah the case fits great for my needs. Room enough for spare battery, small stash, and cleaning tools.

One thing I really enjoy about the FF is the toasty aroma upon opening her up after several hits. The one thing that disappoints me is that my particular unit has a mushy button that only makes good contact if pressed on the front half. Someday this may require a warrantee claim, but for now I will put up with it.

For those who ask about cleaning I think it is pretty forgiving. I only clean it every 4 or 5 bowls and it only takes a few minutes with some iso, a tissue, and a Q-tip.

Going to do some top screen experimentation next.

imasinner, ShayWhiteGrow and grokit like this.
  23. Mynameismud

Mynameismud But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie.

Update: so FF got my unit last Wednesday/Thursday... I didn't contact them or annoy them or anything just sent it back and waited. Got a return shipping label yesterday! Pretty good if you ask me...shipped back Monday via FedEx says it'll be here Friday. Wish they used usps it would probably be here already. Oh well

Now I just sent mine back for a loose battery door. They requested I send everything back because a new door doesn't always fix the problem...well I guess it did cause they are sending back my old firefly with a new battery door...

Over all pretty happy with the experience. I wonder if it would have been any longer had my unit not been working but who knows. I'm thinking they just put the 7-10 day processing thing in there as a worst case scenario thing.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  24. Vinman

Vinman Member

Here's my FF technique (nothing new):
    fill bowl with hand torn flowers.
    8 seconds preheat.
    1 second off.
    4 seconds preheat.
    (while the above is going on, take several deep breaths, then exhale completely)
    I begin to slowly draw, slow enough to keep the bowl glowing.
    When I feel I can only draw for another 10 seconds, release the heat button and keep drawing for as long as I easily can.
    Hold my breath for a few more seconds, then exhale.
    (I know some authorities say there is no point in holding your breath, but what about studies like
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16637053
    which found: "on average 35% of inhaled TCH was directly exhaled again".)

One draw like this is quite sufficient to fully medicate me.

The next time I use the FF, I empty the bowl contents onto a sheet of paper, crush flowers a little more with my fingers, and use the paper to slide everything back into the bowl.

Since I got it, I have used the FF for over 20 full draws, and I haven't found the need to clean it yet.

25. vapin baby boomer

vapin baby boomer Active Member

I got my repaired FF back after only 9 days on it's round-trip to Seattle, which ain't too shabby, considering it went FedEx ground both ways. Sure is good to have her back and I'll tell you what: There is no comparison between MFLB and the FF when it come to effective medication. The Fly reigns supreme!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors