The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapzilla

You can deem the FF2 feature set "useless" all you want. Unlike you. I've actually used it. It's far from useless. Until you have experience with it, you are just guessing.

What are you changing it for? Just for the concentrate levels?
Will some of the lower levels extend the battery life? Or would you use up more battery by having/wanting to draw longer on the lower temps.
I feel that either the default or 420 degree would be where I'd leave it at.
I have no app concerns and it seems like pretty cool tech to me, especially the battery monitor.
My may concern is the batteries themselves. Only time will tell, but if they degrade to rapidly as we've seen in the past at $35 a pop I know I won't be a happy camper!
And batteries degrading is not covered under the warranty and they are proprietary only to FF.

Vapzilla,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
What are you changing it for? Just for the concentrate levels?

Obviously the Concentrate level is necessary for non-flower material. It's also useful, as is High, for complete extraction. Sometimes I'm bumping it up to High to get an extra hit or two. Occasionally I use Medium for material that's particularly dry or tightly packed, though I still end up bumping up to Med-High in those cases.

Will some of the lower levels extend the battery life? Or would you use up more battery by having/wanting to draw longer on the lower temps.

Theoretically it should save battery life. You probably wouldn't end up drawing longer on lower settings till at least the back half of the bowl.
My may concern is the batteries themselves. Only time will tell, but if they degrade to rapidly as we've seen in the past at $35 a pop I know I won't be a happy camper!
And batteries degrading is not covered under the warranty and they are proprietary only to FF.

Exactly. We don't have enough real-world usage data to know yet. The battery I've been using appears to be in the same shape as when I first got it (and it wasn't "new" when they sent it to me). But I've only been using it for about 60 days so far, so it's early days.

There's a lot of flexibility with the FF2, relative to FF1. Again I think only personal use will reveal how useful (or not) you find the enhanced feature set.

If I can re-frame this to add a little perspective...when I was first contacted by FF about the 2, the first features I heard about were 1. smaller, lighter; 2. much improved basic functions and ease of use; 3. doubled battery life; 4. elimination of the screen; 5. elimination of the port assembly thingy on the lid; 6. elimination of the toggle switch. If they had stopped there, I would have declared this a much improved feature set, solving most of the problems (on paper anyway). That they continued to add "multiple heat levels" seemed like gravy to me. So any limitation on this function (specifically the app-only bit, which, to be clear. I flagged with FF immediately as something that would make some users unhappy vis the whole Crafty/Mighty dichotomy) seemed minor to me because I felt like the heat level feature wasn't really the most exciting improvement.

Or to put it more simply: if you handed the FF2 to an FF1 user, and never told them about the heat level features, they'd still be blown away by the massive improvements in form and function (and maintenance). So I never got all that hung up on the app bit, even though I knew it was an issue. I've yet to read or hear from anyone who's used one that they simply cannot deal with it because of the app. I'm sure we will hear that, eventually, but I don't think it's going to be a huge % of users who feel this way. Once they use it, anyway. :2c:

studmuffin

Hi mitch61,
I totally agree. I predict that the concerns/reservations cynics and skeptics (a necessary group for input here) will vanish in a vaporous cloud from a big hit using the concentrate pad. Might I suggest some Blue Dream wax, tipping the scales at 86 % THC ? Hmmmmm, ? Schwennnnngggg !

:myday:

mitchgo61

Hi mitch61,
I totally agree. I predict that the concerns/reservations cynics and skeptics (a necessary group for input here) will vanish in a vaporous cloud from a big hit using the concentrate pad. Might I suggest some Blue Dream wax, tipping the scales at 86 % THC ? Hmmmmm, ? Schwennnnngggg !

The other thing worth remembering, I guess, is that the device ships with Med-High as the default, and that seems useful for most applications (kinda replicates the old FF1 temp range). If you don't like using apps, you can just live with that range and never even download the app. You'd still get all the other new features and have the option of heat levels whenever you want.

86%. Jesus Tapdancing Christ. I'd be comatose!! :rofl:

mitchgo61,
Reactions: Derrrpp

MarsellusWallace

"I don't like how they did this one thing that utilizes modern technology on my precious vape, so I'm going to scare everyone with NSA/government spying talk! Raarrghh! :myday:"

Couldn't resist... :lmao:We stoners can be so silly sometimes.

MarsellusWallace,

studmuffin

Hi mitch61,
That's right: Blue Dream grade A wax @ 86 % THC. I live in the enlightened state of Washington, where I have access to the most prime cannabis anywhere. When I buy flower, I don't even consider anything lower than 24 % THC. As for concentrates, I have had shatter in the 92 % range. I think that the old adage "nobody ever overdosed on marijuana" needs to have an asterisk next to it, which makes it clear that concentrate use is an exception.
I doubt that many FC'ers are more hard core than I am. That being said, after doing an Orange Kush 87 % dab about the size of a raisin in my water piece out of my quartz banger I was so immediately fucked-up that I had to crawl down the stairs in my house on my knees. And I had a mental acuity somewhere between that of a brick and a potato. "Shit the bed, Ted".

darbarikanada

I think that the old adage "nobody ever overdosed on marijuana" needs to have an asterisk next to it, which makes it clear that concentrate use is an exception.

another Washingtonian here. I hear you about concentrates. a while back I was walking into the now-defunct 'cannabis farmers' market' here just as a guy who'd done 2 dabs at the (then legal - incredibly) 'dab bar' passed out and fell flat on his face in the parking lot. (sorry for going off topic here. more 'on topic': I'm in awe of mitchgo61's patience, willingness to explain - and re-explain, and his well-organized, thoughtful posts. thank you!)

studmuffin

Hi darbarikanada,
It is difficult to explain concentrate use to your typical stoner. I compare dabbing some primo wax/shatter to smoking an entire one gram flower joint in one hit. I don't dab often, but when I do I make sure that I plan out what I am going to do for the next three or four hours. My post-dab plans never include driving. As for size of dab, it is usually about the size of a peppercorn, or, if I am feeling frisky, I dab a glob the size of a currant. Concentrates are gonna fuck up a lot of people who misunderstand/underestimate the potency of the process.

studmuffin,
For us folks that only have Windows devices, :wave:
I hope FF cares enough to at least attempt to create a Windows Store version
of their App.

I mean, honestly, I hate Android and cannot understand why so many Companies choose to ignore Windows users when Implementing Apps.

We are Vapers too! :rockon:
I wouldn't bet on it. S&B's app is for ios and android. The cost to develop a windows app for such a small percentage of consumers probably doesnt make much sense for them. i can understand your pain though. Hoping they surprise us all with a windows version you can use though

VapesofWrath,

colonelcumbusto

I wouldn't bet on it. S&B's app is for ios and android. The cost to develop a windows app for such a small percentage of consumers probably doesnt make much sense for them. i can understand your pain though. Hoping they surprise us all with a windows version you can use though

I dont want to derail too much more on the technology aspect, but IF they are exposing an open port on the FF device that an app can access, then a wireless-enabled laptop or computer can sure as hell access that too (the frequency may be different, but unless its actually over a phone network, the computer wifi can do virtually the same thing).

Therefore it stands to reason they could expose this port to a locally-served webpage and you can do the controlling from there, without the need for an invasive app. If you can do it via a web browser, it instantly opens access to every machine ever. That would be a much better idea than app-only.

colonelcumbusto,
Reactions: tripwire

mitchgo61

I dont want to derail too much more on the technology aspect, but IF they are exposing an open port on the FF device that an app can access, then a wireless-enabled laptop or computer can sure as hell access that too (the frequency may be different, but unless its actually over a phone network, the computer wifi can do virtually the same thing).

Therefore it stands to reason they could expose this port to a locally-served webpage and you can do the controlling from there, without the need for an invasive app. If you can do it via a web browser, it instantly opens access to every machine ever. That would be a much better idea than app-only.

This is a little over my head, frankly....but the app communicates to the FF2 via low power Bluetooth. I don't think a port is opened, any more than a port opens for my BT audio receiver connected to my stereo. (Again, I could be wrong, over my head, etc....but not sure the way the FF2 talks to the app is accessible via the web.)

AngryJon

BT is near field communication, and ports as @colonelcumbusto talks about them are not an applicable concept.

If you need a device to control the Firefly and don't have an iPhone or Android, you can pick up an Android Tablet new with Bluetooth starting at about $50. Which honestly seems pretty open to me. Heck, if you have a laptop with Bluetooth you could run Linux in a virtual box and emulate an Android device on your machine (and a Bluetooth USB dongle runs less than $50 if you need to add it to a PC).

AngryJon,
Reactions: mitchgo61

VapeKat

Greetings fellow vapers!
I have a blue FF2 on pre, I got an invite to cut the line about 8 hours before the official midnight pre order release date.

With the utmost respect, let us not to confuse NFC with Bluetooth here.
http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/bluetooth.html
They use different protocols for communication.

I do agree with you. as I have mentioned before in previous posts: If you have a windows/linux computer you can emulate an android device and use a USB Bluetooth Transceiver. For the 3% of the world that own's Windows Phones, that is a real number, being generous, it's actually around 2.6%

And if that is the REAL Reggie Watts (you never know), one of my all time fav jams is "You gotta move":nod:

studmuffin

Hi VapeCat (love the moniker),

Whattsitt ? This line-cutting phenomenon of which you speak ? Do tell, good sir. Or good miss. Or good (insert gender orientation here).

studmuffin,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I've mentioned once before that all speculation about what info they are spying on is entirely pointless. Capture the packets and find out for yourself with 100% certainty. Anyone smart enough to be concerned this heavily should be willing to google how to use wireshark.

jazzbass

just pre-ordered. I was going back and forth between the Venus Apollo and the FF2. The Apollo is a lot bigger (I think) and a lot longer heat up. The FF2 looks perfect for me.

I'm often in the stealth mode and the fact that it's less stanky in the pocket is a big deal. I have a Goboof Alfa and my presence and what's in my pocket is pretty apparent. What seems pretty cool is that you can use the FF2 and if you worry about the smell, you can have a little iso packet on hand.

The interface doesn't bother me at all. IMO what they did was try to eliminate all moving parts---that's where most failures occur.

VapeKat

@studmuffin: I received an email from firefly Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 7:21 PM, with the subject line "Leap Ahead of the Line - Pre-Order Firefly2 NOW!" :shrug: Might have something to do with the fact that I had the OG FireFly on pre-order as well?

I also agree, having over 30 years of government/military/civilian information systems and technician experience, that the FireFly app, like many others on Android devices, may request certain permissions, but do not in fact utilize or log/parse your personal information. If this is ever the case, enough of us gurus will make a huge fuss over it, it would not make it into the PlayStore at all. It's the side loaded apps you can only install with root or custom ROMs that you have to really worry about.

Last edited:

studmuffin

Hi VapeKat,

I also received the same email, having been a stalwart member of Firefly Nation since April, 2014. On 29 February I pre-ordered a gold Firefly2 (it's so-o-o purdy !). While people have a right to be concerned about software which "controls" their device, in the grand scheme of things, there are far more lethal and insidious breaches of personal security lurking in the shadows. I happen to live in a state where adults may legally consume cannabis products. Even if I didn't, I don't think my apprehension level would register on the Paranoid-o-Meter.

studmuffin,

toecutter

Supposedly my FF2 is going to show up in April. Fingers crossed it's on the early end, but I'm not holding my breath.

Going to sell my other vapes. What do you guys recommend for selling? I'm leaning towards Ebay at this point.

toecutter,
Reactions: mitchgo61

darkrom

Great Scott!
That new asher roth email doesn't exactly make me like firefly more... Lol.

However I'm not taking credit away from a vape just over a marketing choice I dont personally like.

darkrom,
Reactions: snamuh

herbivore21

I was so excited for this vape when I first heard about it, very little kept me away from the first Firefly, and the much smaller size of the new one resolved a good chunk of the dealbreaking aspects of the original design.

However, when I heard that you still need to stir bowls to get even vaporization, that was the end of my interest.

I need to put this out there not in a company bashing way (obviously other vapes have this issue too, but many do not), but as a more general message:

If your portable flower vape comes requires stirring of the load to get even vaporization, you need to do some design work still. The reason I mention the portability specifically here is that in public or out of the house (where we often use portables), nobody wants to be opening up and revealing the load in their vape to stir it because it won't heat evenly. I would think you guys will agree that needing to stir the load to get even vaporization is really crude design given we've had a few generations of vapes and many different designs have overcome this drawback.

I am still waiting to see a genuinely pocketable (fits in a pocket with plenty of pocket space to spare), reliable (a vape that the vast majority of users could reasonably expect to use heavily for years and not need warranty replacements) on-demand vaporizer with adequate battery life/replaceable batteries that does not require any stirring of the load and made of safe materials of course.

Anything different is not something I could countenance using as a portable.

The Grasshopper and the Firefly 2 are each very close, except that the former has problems with reliability and the latter requires stirring. It seems like it might be too late for the Firefly 2 to meet my needs (but fingers crossed!), so here's to hoping that the GH has the design kinks worked out soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom