The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcmochris

My certain device is an iPhone. For whatever reason, it seems the FF app works great with iOS. I remember--back when I didn't have the unit and was reading through the pages--a lot of Android users had difficulty with the app...in addition to @steama, a lot of folks had strangely similar success when switching to their tablets (they specifically noted success on tablets, but had issues on their cell phones). Weird, right?

Hope FF has a solution, or that these are all solvable, isolated occurrences. Those with Androids (and no tablet! or desire to turn on location! or etc) are often pretty informative--and vocal. Hope they are listening to these valued users (and their legitimate software issues), 'cause...the update has shown hints of revolution with this device.

kcmochris,
Reactions: steama

darkrom

Great Scott!
Sorry for quick response, but I have a 5x. Update fails on 7.0, fully stock. Android N has always sucked with the FF app so far, but TBH I've had some serious issues with 7.0, ESPECIALLY regarding the 5x and BT. Not exclusive to FF.

Anyway downgraded to CM on Marshmallow and it flashed just fine and works great with the new update, I haven't played with it too much though power level wise, but it works fine.

The 5x is a pretty big letdown, and 7.0 makes it worse. Stay on 6.x for now if you want this app to work properly. Honestly I leave my FF on high and never even use the app, but it works fine. I always test it when there is a new version.

steveotr

Hello fellow vapers,

I just got my replacement unit from FF today. The customer service was awesome! I know others have had issues with FF customer service so maybe they have gotten it together. They gave me a completely new unit. Nice work FF. As soon as I got the FF2 I did the firmware update. It failed once and my FF locked up. Taking the battery out and replacing it fixed the unit and on the second attempt it updated without issues. I use a Motorola phone running android 6.0. Maybe the update does not install well with the earlier versions of android?

steveotr,
Reactions: steama

KLo

No Ember
Hello all...been reading here for a month since acquiring the FF2 and holding thoughts. Lots of swinging opinions in this thread. I, too, have not had a steady experience with this device. It has pushed me to major stress levels. Bugger.

Is it a lovely beta that made it to market, rhetorically questioning?

The app is certainly wonky. FF CS acknowledged this to me two weeks ago when I reached out to them. I was desperate with buyer's remorse until they said there would be an update in mere days. That much has been true.

Also, thanks to the indepth dialogues here, I combed the forum for suggestions, stuck with the learning curve and downloaded the update today. Yet frustration persists.

Is it health positive? Stress. Money spent. Hope wavering. What's up with all the false starts?

There's no need to bash or rehash what's been said, but, man...this thing could have taken over the game if it had tightened up its bolts before the race.

Still standing by. Willing to let bygones be if they get their damn app together.

KLo,
Reactions: Cl4ud3

HighClouds

Interesting that all the update complaints seem to be from Android users. My iPhone did it flawlessly. That tells me that the update process wasn't well tested. Hopefully FF will fix this soon for all you Android people.

HC

HighClouds,
Reactions: KLo

Fire so Fly

do you even vape?
Successful Firefly² firmware update - Google Nexus 5x on Android

My Google Nexus 5x (by LG) is running Android 7.0.0.
It also had the installation problem with the newest Firefly² firmware update.
During the firmware installation process, the android app v1.46 puts the vape into OTA mode, so to say preparing it for the files to receive. But then the phone wasn't able to connect back to the Firefly², and the installation is stuck.

So like darkrom reported
I have a 5x. Update fails on 7.0, fully stock.

Anyway downgraded to CM on Marshmallow and it flashed just fine and works great with the new update, I haven't played with it too much though power level wise, but it works fine.
I tried downgrading my Nexus 5x back to Android 6.0.1, but was still having the problem with the firmware update process getting stuck like on 7.0.0.

So after reading that I installed Android 6.0.0.
Additionally, I reverted my custom settings on my FF2, as maybe that could have some influence as well. So I set back my heat profile to medium-high, went back to both buttons heat-activation, and tried the firmware update again.

And suddenly it worked.
At least after setting the FF2 to OTA mode, the app went on and tried to upload the files to the FF2.
It still stopped again, but it was further than ever! So I swapped the battery out and back in again, the FF2 device was found immediately, and then the firmware update went flawlessly through!

TL;DR

What I did to get my Firefly² firmware update working:

1. connect the phone app to FF2
2. reset all FF2 settings back to original state (activation: both-buttons, heating profile: medium high)
3. reset FF2 device name by swapping the battery out and back in

4. downgrade phone from Android 7.0.0 to Android 6.0.0 (6.x could work too, as darkrom says)
5. install current Firefly² v1.46 app
6. turn on all phone location permissions (high accuracy mode), then turn on Bluetooth
7. open FF2 app and go straight for the firmware update

Now the FF2 shouldn't get stuck in OTA mode, and the app should start uploading the files.
8. if the FF2 still gets stuck during the file upload, try to reset the device like in step 3. and repeat the update.

If you don't know how to downgrade your android phone, check "Nexus Root Toolkit". It's a simple tool to switch android versions. It's also free. Eventually look for a good tutorial first!

Hope these steps help others as well. Feedback would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Boros

Definitely been eyeballing this vape as well, seems to be top notch convection style n great taste, which I'm looking for, something similar to my solo...just a wee bit expensive!

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Which would you guys recommend buying the firefly 2 or grasshopper I have chance to get one or other

Grasshopper all the way, I have both, I just went on a trip for a few weeks took my grasshopper and didn't really miss the firefly2, when I got back a week ago I looked and saw I still had a half vaped bowl in the Firefly2 left in there from whenever ago. I do like the Firefly2 and I think its a great vape, and there is a reason to have both as they are very different experiences but if I had to choose it would be Grasshopper all day!

jay87

Grasshopper all the way, I have both, I just went on a trip for a few weeks took my grasshopper and didn't really miss the firefly2, when I got back a week ago I looked and saw I still had a half vaped bowl in the Firefly2 left in there from whenever ago. I do like the Firefly2 and I think its a great vape, and there is a reason to have both as they are very different experiences but if I had to choose it would be Grasshopper all day!

You legit went back 20 pages to respond to that? :rofl:

I'm not gonna rehash this but these devices are so different that you need to ask what your requirements are and compare them to the devices, there is no objectively better device when you're comparing these two.

Would you recommend a motorcycle or an Escalade? Just like when you compare these vapes the "better" device completely depends on the needs of the user and the situation.

Mr. Me2

Where you been @slcbdco ? I've missed you!

Mr. Me2,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
OK I finally have a definitive answer on the Power Tuning feature, with regard to how it affects the heating algorithm:

"The power tuning feature only changes the applied power. The algorithm stays the same but all power output is bumped up or down based on the power tuning setting. So the algorithm is still adaptive and still functions the same way but the overall temp curve is bumped up or down since the power at every point is adjusted (with the PT feature)."

So basically, the email was a little misleading...the adaptive heating algorithm has always been in use in the FF2, only now you have nearly infinite possibilities for heat ranges thanks to all the gradient overlap with the PT feature.

Hope that was clear. :p:lol:

kcmochris

Very clear. I think this will clear up some of the confusion.

It also helps support why I find the medium setting so enticing (from 100-111%). I really do enjoy that short, sprint-to-the-finish-line burst one get about 5 seconds before auto-shut-off. Once again, at stock level (380 degrees, 100%) it is the perfect intersection of terpene/flavor meeting vapor production (enough to mentally convince only but a few of us!).

Also, I'm assuming the High is, for the most part, a straight and steady heating algorithm....this has been discussed, waaaay back. Can't remember specifically....Disclaimer: Apologies for any inaccuracies from what I've just written.

kcmochris,
Reactions: ElPic

blue80217

blue80217
I only wish I could try the update; it fails every time for me. Still waiting on a reply from Firefly CS, but here's what happens in case anyone can help:

I'm using a Nexus 6P, running stock, non-rooted Android 7.0 (Nougat). The app gets as far as putting the FF2 in OTA mode. If I look at the Bluetooth settings here I see that the ID has changed to FF2_OTA, but it's as if the app can't reconnect to the OTA mode and fails every time. I currently do not have another device I can use for the update.

blue80217,

sixstringsmash

So I remembered a while ago I bought a bunch of these lens wipes at costco. They were about 10 bucks for 225 of them if I remember correctly so the price would be very good for cleaning wipes for the FF2 but I'm quite unsure if they would be safe to use on the FF2 or not. The ingredients listed are water, iso alcohol and detergent. The only thing I am unsure of in the ingredient label would be the detergent so I'm a little concerned before I try to use this to clean my FF2. Would anybody be able to provide input into whether these would be safe to use on the FF2 or not? If they are it may be a very economical purchase of cleaning wipes for the FF2 versus buying the FF2 wipes separately. Pictures of the lens wipes with ingredients are listed below:

rgtvd8Q.jpg

w9H86Cw.jpg

sixstringsmash,

Boros

Has anyone had difficulty with sufficient vapor production from their ff2? After scouring the net for information and reviews, that seems to be one of the only downsides, but honestly, with every single video I've seen, the vapor has been great, certainly what I'd called at least medium density...would you say it compares to the arizer solo? I am more than pleased with the vapor quality I get from the solo, and setting 4 is the sweet spot for me, turning it to 5 for the last few hits...so I'm typically around 383-393 f. I'm not expecting massive clouds at all, just enough vapor to feel satisfied on exhale and something at least as good as the solo.

Boros,

Vaporcussion

You can easily purchase individual wipes at CVS/Walgreens, etc. 200 to a box. Mine is just 70% iso, works great.

Btw, talked to FF CS and they said they pulled the battery charger off their site to "retool it" and plan to release it in about 2 months or so. Whatever that means!

Vaporcussion,
Reactions: KLo

Baron23

Has anyone had difficulty with sufficient vapor production from their ff2? After scouring the net for information and reviews, that seems to be one of the only downsides, but honestly, with every single video I've seen, the vapor has been great, certainly what I'd called at least medium density...would you say it compares to the arizer solo? I am more than pleased with the vapor quality I get from the solo, and setting 4 is the sweet spot for me, turning it to 5 for the last few hits...so I'm typically around 383-393 f. I'm not expecting massive clouds at all, just enough vapor to feel satisfied on exhale and something at least as good as the solo.
First, forget about most clouds you see in internet videos. Any that are particularly clear are using a directed light source to highlight the vapor. Also, while most are actually vaping cannabis, not all. For example, that hideous video from FF CEO...."hmmm, let's have another" ( :puke: ). What he was vaping in that video was NOT cannabis.

But, you hit on the great mystery of FF2. Some think it works just fine, some think it barely works at all. There are experienced vapers in both camps so I personally am at a loss to explain it.

Baron23,

Vaporcussion

Question: The two Air intake holes in the front; where are they routed to? The bowl or the mouthpiece?

Vaporcussion,

whereskarlo

So after using the Firefly 2 for a couple of days, I'm back with my Haze Dual V3. The FF2 tastes great but I have several gripes that just doesn't make it very appealing to me (but it might be to you):

1. You need to stir the oven and it spills easily while doing so.
2. It gets dirty very quickly.
3. You need to be conscious of how you pack it, how long you heat it before you draw, duration of draw and how hard you pull. It can be distracting.
4. The same process needs to be repeated every time you want to take a hit, you can't just mindlessly suck on it and expect vapor.

Overall I prefer the Haze Dual V3 because of the slow cook approach. You turn it on and then get consistent vapor clouds for the next five minutes. No technique, no stirring, you can keep doing what you were doing while getting high. The Firefly is definitely the better tasting vaporizer, but for me the consistent huge clouds (Haze) and ease of use makes me choose the Haze in most circumstances.

whereskarlo,

Boros

First, forget about most clouds you see in internet videos. Any that are particularly clear are using a directed light source to highlight the vapor. Also, while most are actually vaping cannabis, not all. For example, that hideous video from FF CEO...."hmmm, let's have another" ( :puke: ). What he was vaping in that video was NOT cannabis.

But, you hit on the great mystery of FF2. Some think it works just fine, some think it barely works at all. There are experienced vapers in both camps so I personally am at a loss to explain it.
Ya I really don't get it honestly...n ya I saw that video...white, milky clouds...not at all what you get from vaporizing herbs...

Boros,

jay87

Ya I really don't get it honestly...n ya I saw that video...white, milky clouds...not at all what you get from vaporizing herbs...

In hindsight I could see those clouds being legitimate if the CEO was using the current app update when it was in beta. At first I thought the same as you because my FF2 wasn't performing the same, but after the update what he did could be totally plausible.

I dunno what you guys are on about, granted I'm using concentrates but I get large billowing clouds with ease.

My secret technique is I put concentrate in the FF2, then I take draws, and somehow I always seem to get amazing flavor, potent effects, and big clouds every time without any effort at all. :shrug:

After the update I've had 0 issues with cloud production, I've even started dabbling with turning it down a couple notches from 111% because it was getting to be a bit too much without water. :o

I'd say the Firefly 2 is becoming underrated to be honest. :rofl:

Boros

In hindsight I could see those clouds being totally legitimate if the CEO was using the current app update when it was in beta. At first I thought the same as you because my FF2 wasn't performing the same, but after the update what he did could be totally plausible.

I dunno what you guys are on about, granted I'm using concentrates but I get large billowing clouds with ease.

My secret technique is I put concentrate in the FF2, then I take draws, and somehow I always seem to get amazing flavor, potent effects, and big clouds every time without any effort at all. :shrug:

After the update I've had 0 issues with cloud production, I've even started dabbling with turning it down a couple notches from 111% because it was getting to be a bit too much without water. :o

I'd say the Firefly 2 is becoming underrated to be honest. :rofl:

With the success that they've had with the FF2 and the original as well, why would the CEO be misleading as to show in the video what looks like herbs, and then produce thick clouds that aren't very typical with vaping unless it's e-juice lol...could be legit, I dunno...I hope it's not deception, that's not cool...is the standard power set at 100% without any tweaking? Does going up 11% really make that much of a difference?

Boros,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom