The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucsusn

60 going on 20
Just got mine earlier this week.......already have a Pleny, an e-nano, a Crafty and a Mighty. Yes, I am spoiled. Underwhelmed at first, but now getting the hang of technique.......coarse grind, frequent stirring, relatively high heat. But the flavor.....the flavor is exquisite. All of my vapes have their strong points, but still the go to is the e-nano. Second one is on order. I take turns with the portables while out and about, each of them are strong performers. This is a good time to be a stoner!

BlackDog

Vaporcussion

1)Observation; convection/conduction aside, a warmed up FF2 (2nd or 3rd bowl) certainly responds quicker than than a "not yet heated" FF2 (1st bowl)
One warm, I can start a fresh bowl on Med Low and get good result immediately. If I tried that with on the first bowl, it would be weak (for me). I have power boost at +105, fyi.

2)Next, anybody prefer a minus setting on power boost?

3) I've been using it without the particulate screen for a week now, almost nothing gets through.

4) The quick 3 press on right button to show battery barely works for me. Maybe once every 20 tries I can get it. Anyone else have this issue?

Vaporcussion,

jim-bob

4) The quick 3 press on right button to show battery barely works for me. Maybe once every 20 tries I can get it. Anyone else have this issue?
Yeah, i'm having major issues trying to make it register 3 taps on either button, it's definitely a lot more finicky than it used to be.

jim-bob,
My battery level feature still doesn't work very well.

Me neither... before the update it always used to say 100% to death. After the update, I got it to say 75% once, and then it died soon after that. Still doesn't seem to be very accurate. Pretty much my only qualm now.

doomsdalicious,

jay87

Yeah, i'm having major issues trying to make it register 3 taps on either button, it's definitely a lot more finicky than it used to be.

Mine's the exact opposite after the update.

Before the update I had issues with the 3x tap for the battery and heat setting, but after the update both work much better and more reliably.

As for the battery I had it say 50% then it was dead a few draws later.
To be honest I don't even watch the battery, I just know I can count on 3-4 of my personal battery intensive vaporizng sessions(concentrate mode, 111%, resetting the heater, long draws)

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Mine's the exact opposite after the update.

Before the update I had issues with the 3x tap for the battery and heat setting, but after the update both work much better and more reliably.

As for the battery I had it say 50% then it was dead a few draws later.
To be honest I don't even watch the battery, I just know I can count on 3-4 of my personal battery intensive vaporizng sessions(concentrate mode, 111%, resetting the heater, long draws)

I had no issues with mine before or after the updates. Both button indicators work consistently. The left heat button is definitely reading accurately. And while I always get a battery reading, I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to its accuracy...like Jay I don't even watch it. I just keep the spare battery charged. ;)

kcmochris

^2nd that.

Never had issues with the tapping of buttons for battery and heat level read-outs on the small LED light. Seemed to tell me exactly what the phone would. To be honest, it often gave better readings than the app (tap three times reading)...With that being said, this was all pre-update. I will say, post-update, almost all those quirks and bugs we experienced initially seem to have improved--and specifically, better battery reading. It's actually showing 25% and 50% levels--not just 75%, 100% or 0% :p as it did pre-update. Buuuut, yeah, not reliable and I don't care. The bricks last but so long and ya gotta keep a spare charged. Absolutely clutch.

@BlackDog did you write the article you cited? It was a very interesting read for my subway ride home http://420vapezone.com/firefly-2-firmware-update-now-power-tuning/

My favorite observation actually came in the comments section by a poster named AfroBeat:
"I guess I got a good one then as I find the cloud production on the FF2 at 100% perfectly acceptable.

It definitely goes up with the 111% setting but the vapor flavour does inherit a touch of the harshness and loses some of the smooth terpene flavour that makes the FF2 my favourite of my vapes. Moves in a more pax-like direction, flavour wise.

Something else I’m noticing is that visible vapor is not a reasonable metric of quality of said vapor.

Of my three vapes… The Arizer Extreme Q, The FF2 and the Pax 2… The pax delivers the most visible vapor but produces the least quality and high potential… The Extreme Q and FF2 visible vapor production is much lower but gets me inordinately higher
."

^^^This is why I've since turned my PT back to 100% (stock level). Something about that medium setting, 380 degrees--for me, it's the best intersection of pinpoint flavor with full vapor. Again, there's those days where I want to get ripped and that's when it goes straight to High. Now that I can amp it up to 111% on the PT--the FF2 leads the way! Wondering how many complaints about vapor and clouds this forum will see post-update. Appears to have tackled that monster of customer satisfaction (read: cloud chasers :D).

Last edited:

ElPic

Take my money
wow, impressed with Firefly free shipping... They ship my unit friday, and I receive it today!
At 520$CAD once taxe paid... It's not really "free" shipping but it's fast..

Still on honeymoon, and only 2 sessions done so No big review, but it look like a real beast
5 hit at Med/High with big cloud
stir
5 hit at high with big cloud again!
Similar taste of the original Firefly but i could get better extraction of my white widow for sure... Close too combust!
This is really a Firefly 2.0
I love this thing...

Last edited:

Vapor Trails

How is this baby comparing to the Crafty and Mighty? I know they're different beasts. Does the FF2 seriously let you take a quick pull and put it down without ruining any herb? That would be GREAT for me. My only concern is when cleaning, I don't know what happens if specs fall thru the bowl holes over time. It may be easily cleaned, but of course I haven't been able to see or test drive one past the point of watching a YouTube review to know :) YouTube reviews don't always tend to be honest, and always tend to be over or under hyped, tho. So, I figured it would be better to ask you guys.

The Natty Leprechaun

I had the unpleasant experience of having combustion take place in my ff2 tonight .
I have had the PT cranked up to 111% since the update has been out with no problems except battery life is shorter than they already where
I started off at med low for 2 puffs gave it a stir/flip I flip the whole bowl pack over like a burger on the grill and it stays together shaped like a little hockey puck and then break it up if needed and seems to stay cleaner anyways I cranked it up to high had 1 puff took a second puff 20 min later noticed the restrictiveness seemed like the bowl wasn't packed dense enough packed it and started to get some warmer than normal vapor I notice the vapor seems a little warmer after the PT upgrade too but not harsh this puff was O Fuck I just combusted that was such a nasty taste and to think I used to fire up the combustion piece to medicate for all those years .

After a good cleaning and turned back down to med and 108% it still works fine and taste great but on high it's still a little warmer and toastier tasting vapor that it was pre update but not unpleasant to me at all but I was afraid to take as big a puff as I usually do Combustion in my ff2 is not something I ever want to experience again and hope no one else does either .

I will have to step the PT down till I find the sweet spot
how hot does it get in there when combustion happens and is the silicone seal rated to withstand that temp ?
mine seems just fine the whole bowl didn't go up but 1/3 of the bottom of the little hockey puck is gone in like a dome shaped burn

Last edited:
How is this baby comparing to the Crafty and Mighty? I know they're different beasts. Does the FF2 seriously let you take a quick pull and put it down without ruining any herb? That would be GREAT for me. My only concern is when cleaning, I don't know what happens if specs fall thru the bowl holes over time. It may be easily cleaned, but of course I haven't been able to see or test drive one past the point of watching a YouTube review to know :) YouTube reviews don't always tend to be honest, and always tend to be over or under hyped, tho. So, I figured it would be better to ask you guys.

I have both including 2 Gasshopper's. The Crafty/Mighty are session vapes. They do it really well with the combination of conduction/convection, but you have to do it all at once. A bit more effort to clean compared to the other two, but not too bad at all.

The FF2 is top notch for cool, tasty vapor. The gold standard of portables IMHO. The only downside is that you have to stir. Since it's convection, you can take a pull and put down. Super easy to clean, quick iso swipe and done.

Grasshopper is maximum stealth, great through a water pipe, and you can take a puff and put it down, but the vapor is hot natively after a hit or two. Super easy to clean, quick iso swipe and done.

The easiest way to break them down (if you're a former combuster) is to say the Crafty/Might is like smoking a joint (full session), the FF2 is like smoking a bowl, and the Grasshopper is like a stealth one hitter.

They are all great and the top 3 portables, again, IMHO.

Last edited:

Vapor Trails

I have both including 2 Gasshopper's. The Crafty/Mighty are session vapes. They do it really well with the combination of conduction/convection, but you have to do it all at once. A bit more effort to clean compared to the other two, but not too bad at all.

The FF2 is top notch for cool, tasty vapor. The gold standard of portables IMHO. The only downside is that you have to stir. Since it's convection, you can take a pull and put down. Super easy to clean, quick iso swipe and done.

Grasshopper is maximum stealth, great through a water pipe, and you can take a puff and put it down, but the vapor is hot natively after a hit or two. Super easy to clean, quick iso swipe and done.

The easiest way to break them down is to say the Crafty/Might is like smoking a joint (full session), the FF2 is like smoking a bowl, and the Grasshopper is like a stealth one hitter.

They are all great and the top 3 portables, again, IMHO.
Excellent! I am a bowl smoker and not a blunt smoker anymore. I will more than likely get a Mighty for that full session style and the plug and playability, ease of use, changing temps to exact desired levels etc. However, the FF2 in simply intriguing for some reason, and I was used to slowly smoking a bowl over a 30 minute period. If this thing could let me take a pull and put it down like that it would be a winner. My biggest concern is if the vapor hovers in the mouth and condenses at all with the required slow draw speed requiring a draw into the mouth vs the lungs.

Could anyone perhaps compare both the draw restriction and medicating quality to a Solo? I only ask because it's the only portable I've ever owned.

Excellent! I am a bowl smoker and not a blunt smoker anymore. I will more than likely get a Mighty for that full session style and the plug and playability, ease of use, changing temps to exact desired levels etc. However, the FF2 in simply intriguing for some reason, and I was used to slowly smoking a bowl over a 30 minute period. If this thing could let me take a pull and put it down like that it would be a winner. My biggest concern is if the vapor hovers in the mouth and condenses at all with the required slow draw speed requiring a draw into the mouth vs the lungs.

Could anyone perhaps compare both the draw restriction and medicating quality to a Solo? I only ask because it's the only portable I've ever owned.

Based on your description of how you like to get down: "I am a bowl smoker and not a blunt smoker anymore" and "I was used to slowly smoking a bowl over a 30 minute period. If this thing could let me take a pull and put it down like that it would be a winner"

...the FF2 is definitely for you; hands down, slam dunk! ;-)

C4PO

I only wish I could try the update; it fails every time for me. Still waiting on a reply from Firefly CS, but here's what happens in case anyone can help:

I'm using a Nexus 6P, running stock, non-rooted Android 7.0 (Nougat). The app gets as far as putting the FF2 in OTA mode. If I look at the Bluetooth settings here I see that the ID has changed to FF2_OTA, but it's as if the app can't reconnect to the OTA mode and fails every time. I currently do not have another device I can use for the update.

HighClouds

I only wish I could try the update; it fails every time for me. Still waiting on a reply from Firefly CS, but here's what happens in case anyone can help:

Based on my experience, you don't want to wait for a reply from Firefly CS - it may take days if not weeks. Its best to call them, as the rep told me.

HC

I won't belabor the session-vape vs single-hit vape point here, and I'm not sure I agree with the analysis anyway, for two reasons. One, I usually need more than just one hit, typically two or three, and I've had no problem turning the Crafty off, putting it away, and using it again without refilling. Some people may not like doing it, but its very doable. Secondly, the issue of the FF2 being more efficient than the Crafty simply because you only heat when needed is a little specious, because I put my thumb against the Crafty's mouthpiece when I'm not drawing, so nothing escapes. I can usually get two or three draws after I've turned it off, so please take the efficiency claim as a marketing ploy - it may theoretically be correct, but not enough to make a difference.

More importantly, I've noticed differences in the effects pretty clearly. They are both great, but the Crafty gives me a far more cerebral effect with far less heaviness the next morning. The FF2 is much more of a body stone, leaving me feeling heavy the next morning. Same material, same number of draws, same temperature setting. The FF2 is also cooler while drawing, but it would seem to be operating at a higher temperature than the Crafty, if you subscribe to the theory that higher temperatures produce more body effects.

Personally, I've found the difference between the two has made me rethink my temperature settings preconceptions.

HC

I used to own a Solo, but broke the glass a couple of times, and got rid of it. The draw resistance on the FF2 is not nearly as significant as the Solo, but significantly more than the Crafty and, I assume, the Mighty.

As far as the effects go, I don't remember the Solo clearly enough, but I want to say that the FF2 is definitely better. Mainly, though, its very easy to use, which the the Solo was not. I find that changing temps on the fly is not that important to me, so that might color your view of the vapes too.

HC

Last edited by a moderator:
HighClouds,

I'm using a Nexus 6P, running stock, non-rooted Android 7.0 (Nougat). The app gets as far as putting the FF2 in OTA mode. If I look at the Bluetooth settings here I see that the ID has changed to FF2_OTA, but it's as if the app can't reconnect to the OTA mode and fails every time. I currently do not have another device I can use for the update.

Have you tried to pull the battery and reset the FF? I would fully charge the battery, pull it, press the buttons (just to fully kill the FF), reinsert the battery, uninstall the app, reboot your phone, reinstall the app, and try again... If this doesn't work, then yes, call FF. I hope you have good luck!

doomsdalicious,
Reactions: steama

ElleB

Agreed, there is definitely some overlap. I haven't received the complete details on how the power tuning feature works or the full release notes, but after testing a ton of settings (and vaping way too much this weekend :p) I think I know how it functions.

FF2 uses close to full strength of the heater when you first hit the button to help it get up to temp quickly, then powers down to maintain the temperature of your heat settings as it doesn't require as much power to maintain the temperature as initial heat up. The heater will read sensors and adjust to keep your device vaping at the defined temperatures making it nearly impossible to combust material.

What I believe this setting does is help you tune the heater to higher power which keeps it from going into the "maintain temp mode" that it normally goes in after it reaches your temperature setting. Obviously the upside is true dynamic power that allows each user to vape to their personal preferences for draw speed, temp, vapor production, etc. The downside is you can combust if you tune it all the way up and there isn't a perfect way of knowing what temperature that tuning is vaping your material at. There is plenty of power in this device no doubt.

The other thing I'm waiting for confirmation on is whether or not they made changes to the previous default settings. Is medium-high still the same as medium-high at 100% or have they made any minor adjustments from the first software/firmware?

More to come i'm sure!

Be very careful! My Firefly 2 has been my daily driver since I got it in July. I did the firmware upgrade this weekend after I got the email about it.

The upgrade KILLED my device!!!!

It doesn't turn on. It doesn't charge -- even switching out to the 2nd battery.

Am waiting to hear from Firefly to get them to exchange it. Don't be so quick to do the upgrade! There is a bug in the software!

ElleB,

Fire so Fly

do you even vape?
Agreed, there is definitely some overlap. I haven't received the complete details on how the power tuning feature works or the full release notes, but after testing a ton of settings (and vaping way too much this weekend :p) I think I know how it functions.

FF2 uses close to full strength of the heater when you first hit the button to help it get up to temp quickly, then powers down to maintain the temperature of your heat settings as it doesn't require as much power to maintain the temperature as initial heat up. The heater will read sensors and adjust to keep your device vaping at the defined temperatures making it nearly impossible to combust material.

What I believe this setting does is help you tune the heater to higher power which keeps it from going into the "maintain temp mode" that it normally goes in after it reaches your temperature setting. Obviously the upside is true dynamic power that allows each user to vape to their personal preferences for draw speed, temp, vapor production, etc. The downside is you can combust if you tune it all the way up and there isn't a perfect way of knowing what temperature that tuning is vaping your material at. There is plenty of power in this device no doubt.

The other thing I'm waiting for confirmation on is whether or not they made changes to the previous default settings. Is medium-high still the same as medium-high at 100% or have they made any minor adjustments from the first software/firmware?

More to come i'm sure!

I wish I have seen this post earlier. Finally figured out how to vape properly with my new friend FF2.

Be very careful!
I did the firmware upgrade this weekend
The upgrade KILLED my device!!!

Am waiting to hear from Firefly to get them to exchange it. Don't be so quick to do the upgrade! There is a bug in the software!
Yeah, if you figured out how to vape properly on the old version, there is no need to update now.
There will be no difference in vape quality. It's just easier to get better vape quality without mastering the device before.

Last edited:
Fire so Fly,

HighClouds

Be very careful! My Firefly 2 has been my daily driver since I got it in July. I did the firmware upgrade this weekend after I got the email about it.

That does not sound good. I would suggest you call them rather than wait for an online response.

I wish I have seen this post earlier. Finally figured out how to vape properly with my new friend FF2.

Yeah, if you figured out how to vape properly on the old version, there is no need to update now.
There will be no difference in vape quality. It's just easier for beginners.

You could well be right in a narrow sense. It definitely made mine a lot more effective than it was when it was brand new. Maybe that depends on whether your FF2 was operating optimally to begin with.

HC

HighClouds,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

It was tested extensively for nearly two months prior to release. There shouldn't be any showstopper bugs and in general I wouldn't warn folks to be particularly skittish of this update (I've used multiple versions of the build myself with no problems)....but it'll be interesting to hear what FF says about your problem. I wonder if something entirely coincidental (but clearly catastrophic) occurred.

For it to have crashed your device, it would have at least needed to connect to it once....so did you "connect device" after updating the app, and then it crashed? Or was it dead after loading the new app onto your phone? (In which case, not the app, but something else....)

Fire so Fly

do you even vape?
I'm still running the old version, after trying the new version on my friend's device. I decided against letting him upgrade my FF2 with his phone because, mine still works as good as his one (if not even better :)).

That said, I'm also having the same issue as C4PO (I have a Nexus 5x, which was released with the 6P at the same time):

It would be definitely interesting if they come up with a solution. So if you could please let us know about the outcome, that would be super sweet.
And nice...
like Strawberry Ice.

Or from the O to the G,
or rather Super Lemon Haze...

What we want is, flying high.

via mother nature's way.

In our own... Pace.

Anyways, would be neat if you could let us know!

PEACE

Fire so Fly,
Reactions: steama

jay87

I'm still running the old version, after trying the new version on my friend's device. I decided against letting him upgrade my FF2 with his phone because, mine still works as good as his one (if not even better :)).

That said, I'm also having the same issue as C4PO (I have a Nexus 5x, which was released with the 6P at the same time):

It would be definitely interesting if they come up with a solution. So if you could please let us know about the outcome, that would be super sweet.
And nice...
like Strawberry Ice.

Or from the O to the G,
or rather Super Lemon Haze...

What we want is, flying high.

via mother nature's way.

In our own... Pace.

Anyways, would be neat if you could let us know!

PEACE

Pretty sure I had the same issue initially, I just closed the app and reopened it, you could also try restarting your phone. After that the update went just fine.

I'd say pay attention to your Bluetooth and location settings if you're having issues updating.

I've had no problems since the update In fact it's the opposite: Since the update this device has been amazing, meets all of my requirements for being a concentrate vaporizer...

Although they could make some glass concentrate pads and a water adapter to meet all of my requirements even more ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom