The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Will they do that? As in, are they still selling FF1s?
No, and no, is my understanding.
I personally think he has a defective unit and coaching him up ain't going to fix that, even though its very nice of the community to try to do so.
Sadly I have to agree at this point. Given the amount he's using, his assurance that the seal is fine, the length of the draw...there's just no way it's working right. It's just not that hard to use the 2, at all. Again every one I've used has generated visible, thick vapor on the first hit, as long as the seal was correct and the bowl was filled enough.
. Was that hand torn or with a grinder? I've never seen a grinder that went THAT coarse. Just just a smidge more coarse- if you have a SC shredder use that or similar. Fill bowl just over rim- yours looks to be WELL over the rim.
I agree with you that a finer, denser grind and pack would be preferable and likely generate better vapor. But if he uses this approach with the 1 and gets results, he should be getting something more substantial from the 2 than he's currently reporting.
Thanks for the tips but I shouldn't have to do that. If they tell me it's fine and I still can't get results I will just ask them to replace it with another ff1 and as many batteries for it as they're willing to give me. I find it hard to believe the difference in draw technique between the ff1 and ff2 can be that drastic. At this point I just want my money's worth. I'd be happy with another ff1 as a backup but I still have hopes for the ff2. I'm sure it'll take about a month to get a replacement shipped out so yeah that sucks too lol. $300+...hopefully I can enjoy it in October!
Good luck, hopefully it won't be a month to get it replaced. (It shouldn't, if CS is running smoothly....definitely a fair-sized "if" these days though...)

Last edited:

Hoodooguru23

I think I might be in the same boat soon. Our options will probably be Craigslist and eBay. Sadly. Thankfully I have several other vapes that perform as advertised.
Oh well. Disappointment loves company too. :)

If you want a stronger hit do a double-tap. Half way through the hit release the buttons and immediately press them again. Starting the heating cycle over mid hit for more heat resulting in a bigger hit.

Also make sure you are using the 'high' temperature setting. :peace:

:)
I have tried something along those lines but I'll give it another shot. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoodooguru23,
Reactions: justvapin

BabaRobDass

That was .12 g, recommended amount is .1-.15. Besides that's just one pic and it wasn't packed in that pic, just tossed in loosely, maybe the macro close up is misleading. Regardless, that same amount gives me great results with my ff1. I've tried less, I've tried different grinders (SC, space case, and hand torn). After trying to vape 4 bowls with the methods everyone is recommending, my bowl isn't even sticky or gummed up, while my ff1 needs a wipedown after every bowl. There just isn't enough heat being generated it feels like. 26 hours I've had this thing and haven't seen anything close to what I would call vapor, especially after owning a ff1 for the past 2 years. Shit happens, just tends to happen more to things made in China lol. Or is the ff2 not meant to outperform the ff1 ?

Does anyone know if FF2 bowl is exact same size as FF1? I was thinking it's a bit smaller. Even if that pic is loosely dumped in material, it's my opinion that is still way too much material for a single bowl. Material should just crest top of bowl prior to a light tamp down. Gotta have airflow. FF1 also had less restricted airflow so I wouldn't fall into the "this is how I did it with FF1" thinking b/c FF2 def more restricted airflow.

In the pic you sent what method of grind did you use? It REALLY looks super coarse dude. That's not a grinder grind.is it?... you hand tore it right? I'm speaking only about in your pic- not all methods you've tried.

Coarse is best but not as coarse as looks in pic.

OK, man that's my last stab at this one.

My concern for you is this: quite possible if you return it they will find nothing wrong with it. Just a hunch. It has happened to some on here I think. Swallow pride and don't assume it's not user error- yet. : )

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Does anyone know if FF2 bowl is exact same size as FF1? I was thinking it's a bit smaller. Even if that pic is loosely dumped in material, it's my opinion that is still way too much material for a single bowl. Material should just crest top of bowl prior to a light tamp down. Gotta have airflow. FF1 also had less restricted airflow so I wouldn't fall into the "this is how I did it with FF1" thinking b/c FF2 def more restricted airflow.

In the pic you sent what method of grind did you use? It REALLY looks super coarse dude. That's not a grinder grind.is it?... you hand tore it right? I'm speaking only about in your pic- not all methods you've tried.

Coarse is best but not as coarse as looks in pic.

OK, man that's my last stab at this one.

My concern for you is this: quite possible if you return it they will find nothing wrong with it. Just a hunch. It has happened to some on here I think. Swallow pride and don't assume it's not user error- yet. : )
Thanks for the tips ! It doesn't seem you've read everything I've wrote though. I want it to be user error. Much easier fix ! That one pic doesn't represent the 18+ bowls I've tried with different shreds and amounts ranging between .10-.15. That's a mix of trainwreck and strawberry Diesel, grinded with a space case. The pic's really zoomed in and the flowers are real fluffy and trichy :brow::D
After 5 draws from the bowl in that pic I put it in the ff1 and got 3 nice, satisfying hits.
Definitely no pride involved here lol. I'll see what they say and in the meantime go back to my ff1 and other vapes (Herbie, grasshopper, crafty, VXL, Alfa, flowermate and a good ole dab rig :rockon:). I'm just not getting my money worth with the new one while the predecessor outperforms it. It just doesn't sit right with me lol.

Cheers!

BabaRobDass

Thanks for the tips ! It doesn't seem you've read everything I've wrote though. I want it to be user error. Much easier fix ! That one pic doesn't represent the 18+ bowls I've tried with different shreds and amounts ranging between .10-.15. That's a mix of trainwreck and strawberry Diesel, grinded with a space case. The pic's really zoomed in and the flowers are real fluffy and trichy :brow::D
After 5 draws from the bowl in that pic I put it in the ff1 and got 3 nice, satisfying hits.
Definitely no pride involved here lol. I'll see what they say and in the meantime go back to my ff1 and other vapes (Herbie, grasshopper, crafty, VXL, Alfa, flowermate and a good ole dab rig :rockon:). I'm just not getting my money worth with the new one while the predecessor outperforms it. It just doesn't sit right with me lol.

Cheers!

Yes I realize you WANTED it to be user error- but it sounded like you were, nonetheless, convinced it was NOT user error. I read what you wrote several times in effort to help. Regardless:

So you're getting no effects from FF2 or just you still prefer the FF1 b/c you can further extract with it? There are a lot of people on here who initially don't care for the 2 but within couple weeks to a month can't imagine using anything else.

Stick with it. I gotta feeling.:)

"I've read through this entire thread and see extremely varying impressions. Here's mine (it's not good);. I've had the FF1 for over a year and a half. Still love it and still produces amazing clouds and flavor: 9/10. Got the FF2 yesterday, using it the way the manual says: nothing. Using it the way YouTube videos suggest: nothing. Using it the exact same way I use my FF1: nothing. I get tiny light wisps even on high, and instead of deep satisfying flavor I get a very light "green" taste on the first hit and then nothing after that. I've tried sipping, AND ripping, all methods of course and medium grind, etc. Also I notice the glow in my bowl goes away as soon as I start drawing."- BRAND1SH initial impression

I went back to your first post on a hunch. None of what you describe above is abnormal FF2 behavior. I'm wondering if perhaps you are a "cloud chaser". And please, that is totally cool. I respect that. If you read some of my stuff though you'll see that that particular aspect is of no importance to me personally- I'm strictly down with medication effects.

Perhaps, you will grow accustom to the visual feedback of the Fly- don't expect to see ridiculously thick clouds as from a dab or similar.

Sometimes on here it's so hard to tell if someone's unit is not working or if it's just not up to one's expectations. There is a lot of subjectivity in describing this stuff.

Be well @BRAND1SH and consider my musings.

Last edited:

kcmochris

My FF2 not only has little vapor it has little taste.

Hmm. Little taste doesn't sound right. Best of luck!

Sadly I have to agree at this point. Given the amount he's using, his assurance that the seal is fine, the length of the draw...there's just no way it's working right. It's just not that hard to use the 2, at all. Again every one I've used has generated visible, thick vapor on the first hit, as long as the seal was correct and the bowl was filled enough.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Vaporcussion

....so's mine....firmware has not changed since I've had it...I know it's frustrating...sometimes the best thing to do is put it down...relax..come back to it later...with a different technique...it's kind of like playing a reed instrument...(clarinet...sax...etc)..let frustration go... It's just a vape man...you will get it...
excellent comparison! More like an oboe, lol

Vaporcussion,

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Yes I realize you WANTED it to be user error- but it sounded like you were, nonetheless, convinced it was NOT user error. I read what you wrote several times in effort to help. Regardless:

So you're getting no effects from FF2 or just you still prefer the FF1 b/c you can further extract with it? There are a lot of people on here who initially don't care for the 2 but within couple weeks to a month can't imagine using anything else.

Stick with it. I gotta feeling.:)

"I've read through this entire thread and see extremely varying impressions. Here's mine (it's not good);. I've had the FF1 for over a year and a half. Still love it and still produces amazing clouds and flavor: 9/10. Got the FF2 yesterday, using it the way the manual says: nothing. Using it the way YouTube videos suggest: nothing. Using it the exact same way I use my FF1: nothing. I get tiny light wisps even on high, and instead of deep satisfying flavor I get a very light "green" taste on the first hit and then nothing after that. I've tried sipping, AND ripping, all methods of course and medium grind, etc. Also I notice the glow in my bowl goes away as soon as I start drawing."- BRAND1SH initial impression

I went back to your first post on a hunch. None of what you describe above is abnormal FF2 behavior. I'm wondering if perhaps you are a "cloud chaser". And please, that is totally cool. I respect that. If you read some of my stuff though you'll see that that particular aspect is of no importance to me personally- I'm strictly down with medication effects.

Perhaps, you will grow accustom to the visual feedback of the Fly- don't expect to see ridiculously thick clouds as from a dab or similar.

Sometimes on here it's so hard to tell if someone's unit is not working or if it's just not up to one's expectations. There is a lot of subjectivity in describing this stuff.

Be well @BRAND1SH and consider my musings.
I hear you, trust me! However I'm not chasing clouds. I just don't think it's too much to expect the newer version of something to outperform it's predecessor. If I grind and put the same amount in both my ff1 and ff2, I should at least get somewhat similar results as far as vapor and taste. I also shouldn't be able to take the contents of the 2, put them in the 1 and then finally get good vapor out of it lol. This thing just doesn't get up to the proper temperature. I tried flowers on concentrate mode and not only did no combustion occur, I still got tiny, teeny barely visible wisps and a nice, green plant flavor that was barely there. No terps whatsoever. After trying concentrate mode I put that stuff in my ff1 and finally got to enjoy it lol. Can't wait to send this back, I just want it to work as advertised.

Cheers

whereskarlo

So i was finally able to get a few good hits in succession. One thing I did do was remove the mouthpiece and then snap it back in with a lot of force. After I did that the draw restriction felt slightly more restrictive. I also filled the oven with ground material, used high setting, waited a little after the light turned solid and then inhaled until it turned off. Got probably 8 clouds from it that were bigger. Those long pulls do feel like an exercise, if I were to pull that long from my Haze I'd have to stop mid-way and cough.

So what might have been different:
- make sure mouthpiece clicks in 2 times and is super snug
- fill oven to the brim
- use high setting
- inhale until light turns off
- stir after a few pulls

Overall not very impressed! I fell in love with the Haze the first time I tried it because it needed 0 effort to produce vapor every - single - time, no matter the amount in the oven. At the moment the FF2 feels like its a bit behind the curve with it's high dependence on technique. I have a feeling it will start collecting dust fairly soon.

whereskarlo,

whereskarlo

This isn't how convection works in general (enough heat and you can get full or close to full extraction). I can consistently get like 90% extraction from the FF. Approaches vary, but this is what works for me....

1. Pack very densely
2. Use HIGH setting
3. Pull steadily and for at least fifteen seconds, if not the full thirty.
4. Stir every four-five hits.

Your ABV can get quite dark, even close-ish to black when you have your FF technique down. (That said, getting one or two more hits from another hotter vape isn't unusual...but you shouldn't see much "golden" material after an FF session.)

Things to watch out for....

1. Make sure you're on HIGH
2. Make sure your draw is steady and long enough
3. Ensure that nothing is impeding proper airflow (make sure lid is on correctly for a proper seal, no material is on the lid seal itself, the mouthpiece is clean and snug). You should notice a decent amount of draw restriction.

The lid and the bowl should be able to be brushed off easily between bowls to clear them of any debris. You shouldn't need iso until it gets really caked on there.

Techniques and results vary, but one thing I'm confident about: you should get better and more consistent results from the 2 than the 1. See my above tips...I suspect either something is preventing you from getting a proper seal, or there's something wrong with the heating element. If you are setting it on HIGH you should get better results. For sure, if you are using the CONCENTRATE setting for concentrates you should get excellent results, based on other user reports. I would conclude either your unit isn't working properly or somehow your heat setting and/or seal aren't right. Your results don't sound normal to me. Good luck!

Thanks, you did it for me. After following these steps I'm blowing huge coughing-worthy clouds. High setting, densely packed GROUND herbs, slow and steady draw until the light goes off. What I really think was the problem was my mouthpiece. Starting to like this vape now! :sherlock:

kcmochris

Glad to hear you stuck with it and that you're loving the unit. The mouthpiece has been the culprit for a couple of previous posters. All the same, those steps are rather crucial for the huge coughing-worthy clouds.

Overall not very impressed! I fell in love with the Haze the first time I tried it because it needed 0 effort to produce vapor every - single - time, no matter the amount in the oven. At the moment the FF2 feels like its a bit behind the curve with it's high dependence on technique. I have a feeling it will start collecting dust fairly soon.
Starting to like this vape now! :sherlock:

The FF2 technique walks a thin line....All in a day's work, it seems.

CroZure

So i was finally able to get a few good hits in succession. One thing I did do was remove the mouthpiece and then snap it back in with a lot of force. After I did that the draw restriction felt slightly more restrictive. I also filled the oven with ground material, used high setting, waited a little after the light turned solid and then inhaled until it turned off. Got probably 8 clouds from it that were bigger. Those long pulls do feel like an exercise, if I were to pull that long from my Haze I'd have to stop mid-way and cough.

So what might have been different:
- make sure mouthpiece clicks in 2 times and is super snug
- fill oven to the brim
- use high setting
- inhale until light turns off
- stir after a few pulls

I have the Haze V2 and it is more like a toy compared to the FF2. My issue with the Haze is that I always taste iso after cleaning, which you have to clean as often as the FF2. Trust me, in a week or so you will forget all about the Haze. The prepackaged cans in the haze are pretty cool though.

For the FF2, make sure you are taking pre hits. Each major hit requires a different time of pre hitting g to heat the material up. Just take a normal hit but stop after the time below. Don't hold your breath after the pre hits b/c you dont want to get exhausted on these. Below are the length of times I pre hit. I noticed this has helped me get better clouds after I have properly cleaned the piece.

1st hit - 10 seconds
2nd hit - 6 seconds
3rd hit - 3 seconds
4th hit - 3 seconds
5th hit and after - not needed

Last edited:

mitchgo61

Thanks, you did it for me. After following these steps I'm blowing huge coughing-worthy clouds. High setting, densely packed GROUND herbs, slow and steady draw until the light goes off. What I really think was the problem was my mouthpiece. Starting to like this vape now! :sherlock:

Awesome. Glad we could help. Enjoy! (Yeah the mouthpiece....it's gotta be snug...and clean.)

mitchgo61,

jay87

I'm still absolutely loving my FF2. It's my dedicated concentrate vape now.

It's the perfect leisure vape. I just pack it up, find a nice place to sit, then just chill and zone out as I'm absent mindedly taking pulls. The flavor is fantastic and within a few minutes without even trying I end up exactly where I wanted to be: totally relaxed floating way up above the clouds :luv:

whereskarlo

I'm getting some pretty enormous clouds now.. I know what the problem was before, it was leaking air. After I re-seated everything the draw became much more restrictive. I bet most of those who are having issues with vapor production might not have an air-tight vapor path.

Not sure if I'm a cloud chaser, but I like taking giant hits lately. The Firefly seems to be letting me do that now but with more flavor. It does require practice, but it's worth it lol.

kcmochris

^^^^ that's what it's about. Sounds nice.

For me, the FF2 is wine--to be sipped. With its connoisseur characteristics (flavor, on-demand-ness in the sense of returning to a pre-hit bowl, the looks and let's face it: the $ tag, which we all paid willfully), it is comparable to wine. The desktop vapes are straight liquor to me--immediate effect with a whole lot of residuals. And the Pax(2)-type are equatable to beer, in the sense they could be shared with a crowd, pounded relentlessly to achieve over-the-top results, or, sipped casually a la café.

I'm getting some pretty enormous clouds now.. I know what the problem was before, it was leaking air. After I re-seated everything the draw became much more restrictive. I bet most of those who are having issues with vapor production might not have an air-tight vapor path.

Honestly, while the seal culprit occurs the most frequently it truly deserves the user's respect. Because, out of all the other problematic circumstances (too small of a pack, too coarse of a grind, hitting too hard, etc.), once I really trained to memory what the FF2 feels like at full resistance (read: optimal performance) when drawing--I knew what to look for, so to speak. That air-tight vapor path @whereskarlo speaks of is key. For example, in his case, the mouthpiece was not fully *snapped* in onto the main unit. For one, a loose mouthpiece will drastically effect the airpath.
Secondly, when the air is flowing freely and I feel zero pushback from the device I know something is awry with the airpath---whether music is blasting and I can (or can't!) hear the ever-poignant whistle indicating not only the adequate speed of a draw but also an appropriate seal.

Returning to the seal--I often "toss" the magnetic lid on the top of the unit (safely, guys lol). Or hover millimeters above the base unit before letting science take hold. Either way, there's a significant chance that the seal is not 100%. Please, guys, if there's one thing to take from all the VapeCritic, FF & Co. youtube-ish videos:

1) Yes, it does well with micro-packs and the tutorialists/reviewers really do hype that up. But, the FF2 does (read:cloooouuuuddddssss) the best with dense packs.

and

2) CHECK. THAT. SEAL.

Last edited:

Vaporcussion

I inadvertently took the particulate screen out of the mouthpiece and now i can't figure out how it was sitting in there. Using it without the screen at the moment...

mitchgo61

I inadvertently took the particulate screen out of the mouthpiece and now i can't figure out how it was sitting in there. Using it without the screen at the moment...

It just sits vertically in the mouthpiece...there are two small gaps on the front side (towards the mouth end). The wider corners of the screen go at the top. The slightly curved side should be towards the body of the FF. I can post a pic later when I get a minute...but there's really only one way to seat it.

once I really trained to memory what the FF2 feels like at full resistance (read: optimal performance) when drawing--I knew what to look for, so to speak. .

Yep, once you get used to how it's supposed to feel resistance-wise it's easy to tell when it's not on correctly.

jdent3

I believe the app should be released for everyone now. I'm in Canada and when I woke up today it updated. You can now adjust power tuning and update firmware from the app. It also says the battery meter issue is fixed!

b0

Cloudy...
I believe the app should be released for everyone now. I'm in Canada and when I woke up today it updated. You can now adjust power tuning and update firmware from the app. It also says the battery meter issue is fixed!

Cool! Lets test it :D

Edit: Updating firmware, I was in 1.8 and now I'm on 1.9. Let's see how good this unit is now :D

ElPic

Take my money
I finally order a FF2 directly from Firefly website! I can't wait to try that unit!
I just want to know from people that got the original Firefly , if they still use it from time to time!
The original FF is a classic looking unit, i will probably keep it, but i want to know if the difference between the two unit is quite enough to still use it?

vape4fun

New app awesome. Power tuning seems cool or a silly gimmick that does nothing but ill go with cool until
Proven wrong. Unfortunately my days of vaping at 8:20 AM are few and far between so love to hear some reports from the field as far as performance of the update and if the battery meter finally works!

mitchgo61

I finally order a FF2 directly from Firefly website! I can't wait to try that unit!
I just want to know from people that got the original Firefly , if they still use it from time to time!
The original FF is a classic looking unit, i will probably keep it, but i want to know if the difference between the two unit is quite enough to still use it?

I never use my FF1s anymore. They seem like retro relics now.

New app awesome. Power tuning seems cool or a silly gimmick that does nothing but ill go with cool until
Proven wrong. Unfortunately my days of vaping at 8:20 AM are few and far between so love to hear some reports from the field as far as performance of the update and if the battery meter finally works!

The power tuning IME makes a big difference, especially on High.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom