The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
How you make it stop being weird? It seems like my range is between 25 and 30 hits so far...!

Wish I knew. The "weirdness" is that behavior where a battery left idle in the device for a day seems to go dead no matter how full the charge is.

When that doesn't happen I've had full charges last me five days, a bowl each day, consisting of at least 15 hits each bowl.

jim-bob

...use concentrates in mine...can't help you...try to count sometimes...get too fucking high..lost count...
same boat. i start with the best intentions, like i even have some pieces of paper with some hash marks on them, but i forget or lose interest way too soon for it to be useful. Sorry, science. :(

i have the vague feeling that the battery performance is not up to par, but i have no way to quantify it.

zerodays

technical vape enthusiast
Hi everyone! I am new to the FC forum (actually this is my first forum I've ever joined in my entire life), and I'm stoked to see a group of vape enthusiasts like me! I picked up the FF2 a few weeks ago, based on a ton of research, but mostly to opinions and findings from you all (thank you). I must say the hype is deserved, I am VERY fond of this thing. I've been into vaping for the last ~7 years, mostly using desktop vapes (DBV) and recently got into the world of portables (addicting they are...). The FF2 is very nice and it matches my style perfectly. I love to take a rip, walk around/hang out, come back in 30min and take another. I feel bad for people who can NOT blow clouds on this thing... cause the FF is a cloud monster for me...but perhaps I'm just used to the style of draw from another convection unit - I could imagine if you start off w/a bong and jump right into this guy being slightly confused haha. I'm big on ceramic/glass pathways, for obvious reasons and happy to see FF use glass. I had the Sidekick before this and was not fond of the conduction, inefficiency, long complex stainless path (vapor no cooler than the FF2) and the need to vape the whole bowl at once style. You can vape a few hits at a time on the SK, but the on/off/heat up time....not real smooth... I love the execution of the on demand convection on the FF2, giving quick and excellent vapor (very smooth, surprisingly cool).

I was logging my hits when I first got the unit and seemed to get around 30 (tried both batteries). It seems like thats a decent amount, but some of you are getting 45-60? I tend to draw until the green light shuts off, super LSD.

Also, is everyone having the battery indicator problems? For me, it's either 4 blinks/full battery or dead battery, nothing in between. Kinda of a bummer since the device is quite $$$... Curious to see if others are seeing the same issue there.

Random side note- cleaned my FF2 for the first time today (about 2 weeks of use) and damn...that is VERY easy to clean. I did not notice any change in vapor quality during those 2wks, cleaned more for cosmetic reasons. The simple design lends itself to easy cleaning compared to the complex plumbing of something like the Sidekick...

Hope to chat more with you all! Vape on!

BabaRobDass

same boat. i start with the best intentions, like i even have some pieces of paper with some hash marks on them, but i forget or lose interest way too soon for it to be useful. Sorry, science. :(

i have the vague feeling that the battery performance is not up to par, but i have no way to quantify it.
Oh yeh, things are definitely not up to par with the Fly. I'm so high it's like a low grade acid trip.:leaf::rofl::leaf:

kcmochris

Outstanding, indeed. I'm so satisfied.

I feel bad for people who can NOT blow clouds on this thing... cause the FF is a cloud monster for me...but perhaps I'm just used to the style of draw from another convection unit

As @turk said, I feel that softer pulls creep up on the user. Nice LSD. I was passing to a friend today and told him, 'Okay, take a nice deep breath. Exhale all of it. Then hit the FF2 softly--make sure it's for more than 10 secs...' He got a small hit but of course was happy about the flavor. Long story short, he got fully medicated ny the end of the session. I think once you get your draw down with this thing, sufficient "clouds" everytime. Gotta say it again--so satisfied.

Also, is everyone having the battery indicator problems? For me, it's either 4 blinks/full battery or dead battery, nothing in between. Kinda of a bummer since the device is quite $$$... Curious to see if others are seeing the same issue there.

@zerodays Welcome! Get ready for the update. Apparently the upgrade might include a more accurate battery meter reading. Thanks for sharing!

malsanti

One thing that I do that allows me to blow at least two huge clouds the first time is, clean it. I clean the bowl after every use. And also, allowing it to heat up, will allow you to get bigger clouds. Pack it decently tight. You can always get the clouds, the issue is how much draw one needs to get, and I find, if clean, the thing can be beastly.

The heating holes are so small, that this is actually important. Also the mouth peice, but other than using some sort of implement to clean out the accumulated gunk is there something else that needs to be done to clean the mouth piece? I noticed, after you take off the cover, there is a slot near the mouth piece, connected to it, that also accumulates gunk and can convenient have the stuff removed.

But again, i am just using toothpick like implements to clean the mouth piece, put I want it clean as possible.

Just soak a little iso on tissue and clean the bowl, everytime you use it, and the first two draw you can get the clouds you need.

CroZure

One thing that I do that allows me to blow at least two huge clouds the first time is, clean it. I clean the bowl after every use. And also, allowing it to heat up, will allow you to get bigger clouds. Pack it decently tight. You can always get the clouds, the issue is how much draw one needs to get, and I find, if clean, the thing can be beastly.

The heating holes are so small, that this is actually important. Also the mouth peice, but other than using some sort of implement to clean out the accumulated gunk is there something else that needs to be done to clean the mouth piece? I noticed, after you take off the cover, there is a slot near the mouth piece, connected to it, that also accumulates gunk and can convenient have the stuff removed.

But again, i am just using toothpick like implements to clean the mouth piece, put I want it clean as possible.

Just soak a little iso on tissue and clean the bowl, everytime you use it, and the first two draw you can get the clouds you need.

I agree with you about the need to clean this vape. I clean it at least every other time. Also, don't forget to clean the female part of the body where the mouthpiece goes into. Gunk buolds up in there too. For cleaning the mouthpiece, I use a pepper towe soaked in iso. Then I flatten it and clean out both ends. I then press the screen on the paper towl. About once a week I will take a dental tool and clean the screen.

whereskarlo

Hey guys, just got the Firefly 2 and am generally underwhelmed. Maybe you can help me? I always fill the oven completely and have tried both with course grind herbs as well as hand torn. Here's my results:

1. First 3 pulls generate vapor on high setting. I inhale for 10 seconds, then draw harder for 5 seconds and feel the vapor in my throat.
  2. After the first 3 pulls the vapor stops. I stir the oven then give it another go. Some vapor is produced but it is hit or miss.
  3. Stirring sometimes helps create vapor, sometimes doesn't.
  4. The oven and both glass surfaces seem to be weed magnets and a good amount of ABV can't be easily removed and saved unless using an alcohol wipe (it gets very dirty and I only used it 4 times)
I'm coming from lots of other vapes, my current favorite being the Haze Dual V3. The Haze obviously doesn't need any technique and gives me lots of vapor for the first 6-8 pulls before a light stir is required. I'm finding the Firefly 2 to demand excruciating amounts of technique and unnatural draws with variable pulls.

How do you guys get consistent results with this thing? Filling it up seems correct, as does stirring. My draw doesn't seem off, I know how to draw from a Pax 2 (slow and steady) but slow and steady on the Firefly 2 doesn't generate much clouds. If I draw a little harder I get light vapor, and following up with a heavy 5 second pull gives me more.

But it's not consistent and the clouds only appear for 5 pulls max. After 5 pulls, no matter how many times I stir I can't get more vapor out of my bud, and it's color is still dark green. I've gone through a lot of bud this way and the ABV still has a good 5-8 big hits left that the Firefly 2 doesn't seem to be able to extract. It reminds me of my Volcano which gives me 3-4 cloudy balloons on Level 7-8, but after that nothing gets extracted and the herbs stay darker golden. I keep having to pop my ABV from both Firefly 2 and Volcano into my Haze to get the last couple of draws out of them. Is this just how all convection vapes behave or am I doing something wrong?

BRAND1SH

I save trees
I've read through this entire thread and see extremely varying impressions. Here's mine (it's not good);. I've had the FF1 for over a year and a half. Still love it and still produces amazing clouds and flavor: 9/10. Got the FF2 yesterday, using it the way the manual says: nothing. Using it the way YouTube videos suggest: nothing. Using it the exact same way I use my FF1: nothing. I get tiny light wisps even on high, and instead of deep satisfying flavor I get a very light "green" taste on the first hit and then nothing after that. I've tried sipping, AND ripping, all methods of course and medium grind, etc. Also I notice the glow in my bowl goes away as soon as I start drawing. Regardless, considering I own the FF1 as well, and am using the same material, grind etc leaves no excuses for this thing performing so poorly. I literally had to put it in my car so it's nowhere near me, to avoid the temptation of wasting more material trying to convince myself it's user error, meanwhile looking over at my FF1 knowing damn well it performs AS ADVERTISED. Last note, tried concentrates aaaaand tiny wisps throughout.
Initial rating for the unit I purchased: 2/10. One star each for (1)weight and (2) size reduction.

Cheers from me and my FF1

turk

turk
...willing to bet you are drawing too hard...people equate long hit...with hard hit...you actually pull soft....with your mouth...not lungs...if you take a hit and you aren't getting anything, I believe it's draw related..keep playing with it..(hey YOU spent the money...on your own)...you can....figure it out...only you can decide if it's worth your time...but I'm here to tell you...there is a reward...

whereskarlo

...willing to bet you are drawing too hard...people equate long hit...with hard hit...you actually pull soft....with your mouth...not lungs...if you take a hit and you aren't getting anything, I believe it's draw related..keep playing with it..(hey YOU spent the money...on your own)...you can....figure it out...only you can decide if it's worth your time...but I'm here to tell you...there is a reward...

At first I was pulling very gently for 10 seconds, no clouds. I then tried Fireflies recommendation of a gentle 10 seconds followed by more hard 5 seconds but that only worked for the first 3 draws. How do you produce good results with this unit? Whats your draw strength, duration and heat setting?

whereskarlo,
Reactions: justvapin

turk

turk
....I do concentrates....(frankly haven't done flowers in unit in weeks...have other options...lol)..with soft puff from month...don't use lungs...(like ALL other vapes where lung use is fine)..keep playing around using one simple system...if your hit gives you nothing...try hitting a different way...you will get it..

whereskarlo

....I do concentrates....(frankly haven't done flowers in unit in weeks...have other options...lol)..with soft puff from month...don't use lungs...(like ALL other vapes where lung use is fine)..keep playing around using one simple system...if your hit gives you nothing...try hitting a different way...you will get it..
How could you do a 10 second pull from your mouth? Are you referring to multiple cigar puffs for a 10 second duration?

Have you tried pulling for a full 30s until the green light goes out? How does that work out?
I usually wait for the light to go out and it doesn't really make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
whereskarlo,
Reactions: justvapin

mitchgo61

But it's not consistent and the clouds only appear for 5 pulls max. After 5 pulls, no matter how many times I stir I can't get more vapor out of my bud, and it's color is still dark green. I've gone through a lot of bud this way and the ABV still has a good 5-8 big hits left that the Firefly 2 doesn't seem to be able to extract. It reminds me of my Volcano which gives me 3-4 cloudy balloons on Level 7-8, but after that nothing gets extracted and the herbs stay darker golden. I keep having to pop my ABV from both Firefly 2 and Volcano into my Haze to get the last couple of draws out of them. Is this just how all convection vapes behave or am I doing something wrong?

This isn't how convection works in general (enough heat and you can get full or close to full extraction). I can consistently get like 90% extraction from the FF. Approaches vary, but this is what works for me....

1. Pack very densely
2. Use HIGH setting
3. Pull steadily and for at least fifteen seconds, if not the full thirty.
4. Stir every four-five hits.

Your ABV can get quite dark, even close-ish to black when you have your FF technique down. (That said, getting one or two more hits from another hotter vape isn't unusual...but you shouldn't see much "golden" material after an FF session.)

Things to watch out for....

1. Make sure you're on HIGH
2. Make sure your draw is steady and long enough
3. Ensure that nothing is impeding proper airflow (make sure lid is on correctly for a proper seal, no material is on the lid seal itself, the mouthpiece is clean and snug). You should notice a decent amount of draw restriction.

The lid and the bowl should be able to be brushed off easily between bowls to clear them of any debris. You shouldn't need iso until it gets really caked on there.

I've read through this entire thread and see extremely varying impressions. Here's mine (it's not good);. I've had the FF1 for over a year and a half. Still love it and still produces amazing clouds and flavor: 9/10. Got the FF2 yesterday, using it the way the manual says: nothing. Using it the way YouTube videos suggest: nothing. Using it the exact same way I use my FF1: nothing. I get tiny light wisps even on high, and instead of deep satisfying flavor I get a very light "green" taste on the first hit and then nothing after that. I've tried sipping, AND ripping, all methods of course and medium grind, etc. Also I notice the glow in my bowl goes away as soon as I start drawing. Regardless, considering I own the FF1 as well, and am using the same material, grind etc leaves no excuses for this thing performing so poorly. I literally had to put it in my car so it's nowhere near me, to avoid the temptation of wasting more material trying to convince myself it's user error, meanwhile looking over at my FF1 knowing damn well it performs AS ADVERTISED. Last note, tried concentrates aaaaand tiny wisps throughout.
Initial rating for the unit I purchased: 2/10. One star each for (1)weight and (2) size reduction.

Cheers from me and my FF1

Techniques and results vary, but one thing I'm confident about: you should get better and more consistent results from the 2 than the 1. See my above tips...I suspect either something is preventing you from getting a proper seal, or there's something wrong with the heating element. If you are setting it on HIGH you should get better results. For sure, if you are using the CONCENTRATE setting for concentrates you should get excellent results, based on other user reports. I would conclude either your unit isn't working properly or somehow your heat setting and/or seal aren't right. Your results don't sound normal to me. Good luck!

BRAND1SH

I save trees
This isn't how convection works in general (enough heat and you can get full or close to full extraction). I can consistently get like 90% extraction from the FF. Approaches vary, but this is what works for me....

1. Pack very densely
2. Use HIGH setting
3. Pull steadily and for at least fifteen seconds, if not the full thirty.
4. Stir every four-five hits.

Your ABV can get quite dark, even close-ish to black when you have your FF technique down. (That said, getting one or two more hits from another hotter vape isn't unusual...but you shouldn't see much "golden" material after an FF session.)

Things to watch out for....

1. Make sure you're on HIGH
2. Make sure your draw is steady and long enough
3. Ensure that nothing is impeding proper airflow (make sure lid is on correctly for a proper seal, no material is on the lid seal itself, the mouthpiece is clean and snug). You should notice a decent amount of draw restriction.

The lid and the bowl should be able to be brushed off easily between bowls to clear them of any debris. You shouldn't need iso until it gets really caked on there.

Techniques and results vary, but one thing I'm confident about: you should get better and more consistent results from the 2 than the 1. See my above tips...I suspect either something is preventing you from getting a proper seal, or there's something wrong with the heating element. If you are setting it on HIGH you should get better results. For sure, if you are using the CONCENTRATE setting for concentrates you should get excellent results, based on other user reports. I would conclude either your unit isn't working properly or somehow your heat setting and/or seal aren't right. Your results don't sound normal to me. Good luck!
Honestly I wish it was me and not the unit. That still could be the case but I mean I own the ff1 and draw from both of them the same way. Sip lightly, long enough to get the hit you want. With the ff1 I get that every time. So far with the ff2, I can take the temp 5 abv out of it, put it directly in the ff1 and instantly draw a massive cloud, albeit stripped of flavor. But still,,, a cloud that puts my ff2 to shame. So either it's defective, or the difference in technique between 1 & 2 is that drastic?

Light, medium and densely packed-check
Light draw-check
Strong draw-check
15second draw-check
Draw until light times out-check
Bowl packs-.1-.15 g (coarse grind)
Amount of material used-2.5 g (total)
Best result so far: a sad wisp that tasted very green, but not like strong flavorful vapor, just like I'm only vaporizing the trichs. I don't know what's going on lol. I just know I can take what comes out of my ff2, put it in the ff1 and finally get high from the new units sloppy seconds...

Hmmm. I'll wait patiently for them to email me back. I'll keep using the ff1 I guess.

PS: I hate when a new vape + the internet makes you question your sanity.

PSS: And I love how the ff1 blew me away THE VERY FIRST TIME I drew from it over a year and a half ago.

PSSS: And I really, REALLY hate how I was expecting so much more from the new one and was so let down (so far )

Edit: I'm getting a perfect seal btw

repetitive rant over. Sorry!

Last edited:

turk

turk
...never had the 1...so I cannot comment...I do know that I experienced some trouble initially with mine...and I have many vapes...and have been a believer...for years...this vape requires a different technique than all my others...it is doable...and there is a reward...

mitchgo61

Honestly I wish it was me and not the unit. That still could be the case but I mean I own the ff1 and draw from them the same way. Sip lightly long enough to get the hit you want. With the ff1 I get that every time. So far with the ff2, I can take the temp 5 abv out of it, put it directly put the ff1 and instantly draw a massive cloud, albeit stripped of flavor. But still, a cloud that puts my ff2 to shame. So either it's defective, or the difference in technique between 1 & 2 is that drastic?

No, not in my experience. I've used three different 2s, and always get great hits, at least early in the bowl. Sounds like the heater isn't working right, based on your description.

turk

turk
...brandish states he gets nothing...from flowers or concentrates...this tells me something is amiss with draw...

BRAND1SH

I save trees
...brandish states he gets nothing...from flowers or concentrates...this tells me something is amiss with draw...
Brand1sh also has the ff1 and gets amazing results from that device. Is the draw technique that different between the 1 & 2 Turk?

turk

turk
....so's mine....firmware has not changed since I've had it...I know it's frustrating...sometimes the best thing to do is put it down...relax..come back to it later...with a different technique...it's kind of like playing a reed instrument...(clarinet...sax...etc)..let frustration go... It's just a vape man...you will get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom