The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRAND1SH

I save trees
....so's mine....firmware has not changed since I've had it...I know it's frustrating...sometimes the best thing to do is put it down...relax..come back to it later...with a different technique...it's kind of like playing a reed instrument...(clarinet...sax...etc)..let frustration go... It's just a vape man...you will get it...
It'd be easier to let go if its predecessor wasn't sitting next to it and giving me perfect results with the methods and techniques every is recommending and that I've been using for almost two years. Oh well, I'll send it in to firefly asap. Thankfully I have my grasshopper, ff1, herbie, flowermate and VXL!

But I hear u!

turk

turk
....good luck ...eventually ...it will all work out...one way or another...we've ALL been there...with one vape or another .

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Brand1sh also has the ff1 and gets amazing results from that device. Is the draw technique that different between the 1 & 2 Turk?

You said you're sure the seal is correct. Do you feel a moderate amount of draw restriction? If it feels airy or unrestricted, sonething is off with the seal.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: justvapin

Reggie Watts

Hey guys, just got the Firefly 2 and am generally underwhelmed. Maybe you can help me? I always fill the oven completely and have tried both with course grind herbs as well as hand torn. Here's my results:

1. First 3 pulls generate vapor on high setting. I inhale for 10 seconds, then draw harder for 5 seconds and feel the vapor in my throat.
  2. After the first 3 pulls the vapor stops. I stir the oven then give it another go. Some vapor is produced but it is hit or miss.
  3. Stirring sometimes helps create vapor, sometimes doesn't.
  4. The oven and both glass surfaces seem to be weed magnets and a good amount of ABV can't be easily removed and saved unless using an alcohol wipe (it gets very dirty and I only used it 4 times)
I'm coming from lots of other vapes, my current favorite being the Haze Dual V3. The Haze obviously doesn't need any technique and gives me lots of vapor for the first 6-8 pulls before a light stir is required. I'm finding the Firefly 2 to demand excruciating amounts of technique and unnatural draws with variable pulls.

How do you guys get consistent results with this thing? Filling it up seems correct, as does stirring. My draw doesn't seem off, I know how to draw from a Pax 2 (slow and steady) but slow and steady on the Firefly 2 doesn't generate much clouds. If I draw a little harder I get light vapor, and following up with a heavy 5 second pull gives me more.

But it's not consistent and the clouds only appear for 5 pulls max. After 5 pulls, no matter how many times I stir I can't get more vapor out of my bud, and it's color is still dark green. I've gone through a lot of bud this way and the ABV still has a good 5-8 big hits left that the Firefly 2 doesn't seem to be able to extract. It reminds me of my Volcano which gives me 3-4 cloudy balloons on Level 7-8, but after that nothing gets extracted and the herbs stay darker golden. I keep having to pop my ABV from both Firefly 2 and Volcano into my Haze to get the last couple of draws out of them. Is this just how all convection vapes behave or am I doing something wrong?

I've read through this entire thread and see extremely varying impressions. Here's mine (it's not good);. I've had the FF1 for over a year and a half. Still love it and still produces amazing clouds and flavor: 9/10. Got the FF2 yesterday, using it the way the manual says: nothing. Using it the way YouTube videos suggest: nothing. Using it the exact same way I use my FF1: nothing. I get tiny light wisps even on high, and instead of deep satisfying flavor I get a very light "green" taste on the first hit and then nothing after that. I've tried sipping, AND ripping, all methods of course and medium grind, etc. Also I notice the glow in my bowl goes away as soon as I start drawing. Regardless, considering I own the FF1 as well, and am using the same material, grind etc leaves no excuses for this thing performing so poorly. I literally had to put it in my car so it's nowhere near me, to avoid the temptation of wasting more material trying to convince myself it's user error, meanwhile looking over at my FF1 knowing damn well it performs AS ADVERTISED. Last note, tried concentrates aaaaand tiny wisps throughout.
Initial rating for the unit I purchased: 2/10. One star each for (1)weight and (2) size reduction.

Cheers from me and my FF1
Try this:

1. Remove screen from mouthpiece
2. Grind a little finer, pack densely
3. Put a liquid pad on top of the herbs
4. Draw for at least 15 seconds with slow air flow (10 isn't enough sometimes)
5. Stir after every draw, maybe two draws at most.

If still getting crappy performance, try a different lid. At one point I was getting inconsistent vapor as well, and replacing the lid helped.

Last edited:

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Try this:

1. Remove screen from mouthpiece
2. Grind a little finer, pack densely
3. Put a liquid pad on top of the herbs
4. Draw for at least 15 seconds with slow air flow (10 isn't enough sometimes)

If still getting crappy performance, try a different lid. At one point I was getting inconsistent vapor as well, and replacing the lid helped.
Thanks for the tips but I shouldn't have to do that. If they tell me it's fine and I still can't get results I will just ask them to replace it with another ff1 and as many batteries for it as they're willing to give me. I find it hard to believe the difference in draw technique between the ff1 and ff2 can be that drastic. At this point I just want my money's worth. I'd be happy with another ff1 as a backup but I still have hopes for the ff2. I'm sure it'll take about a month to get a replacement shipped out so yeah that sucks too lol. $300+...hopefully I can enjoy it in October!

Reggie Watts

Thanks for the tips but I shouldn't have to do that. If they tell me it's fine and I still can't get results I will just ask them to replace it with another ff1 and as many batteries for it as they're willing to give me. I find it hard to believe the difference in draw technique between the ff1 and ff2 can be that drastic. At this point I just want my money's worth. I'd be happy with another ff1 as a backup but I still have hopes for the ff2. I'm sure it'll take about a month to get a replacement shipped out so yeah that sucks too lol. $300+...hopefully I can enjoy it in October!
Just curious, which one shouldn't you have to do? All of the above? (I never had the FF1, so I can't compare.) Trust me though, removing the screen and placing a pad over the herb makes a big difference.

Reggie Watts,

kcmochris

Thanks for the tips but I shouldn't have to do that. If they tell me it's fine and I still can't get results I will just ask them to replace it with another ff1 and as many batteries for it as they're willing to give me.

Will they do that? As in, are they still selling FF1s? The most likely would send a replicate unit as the unit in question isn't a FF1 but the 2--or try for refund if you wish to put the work into that.

I find it hard to believe the difference in draw technique between the ff1 and ff2 can be that drastic.

I do too and I have never used an FF1.

I'd be happy with another ff1 as a backup but I still have hopes for the ff2

Like you said, I think most of us would agree you should hold out for a working FF2. Meaning, if you have tried all the suggestions, then contacting them about the unit is the first step :2c:

EDIT (See following post below):
I just finished charging and cleaning it. Gonna try again

Looking forward to (good) results.

Last edited:
kcmochris,

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Just curious, which one shouldn't you have to do? All of the above? (I never had the FF1, so I can't compare.) Trust me though, removing the screen and placing a pad over the herb makes a big difference.
1-3.
Placing a pad over it increases oven temp, which isn't a bad thing. However I would like to get the results I get with the ff1 and many of you are getting with the ff2; out of the box. I can pack the ff2, try to get medicated with it and after 4-5 draws, a stir in between and tiny results I can transfer the flowers straight from the ff2 to the ff1 and finally get high lol. I just finished charging and cleaning it. Gonna try again and if it still gives me newborn baby wisps I'm gonna put it back in my car so it's out of arms (and temptations) reach.

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Here's my grind/pack for reference. This exact portion would floor me in my ff1. I had to almost squint to see the ff2s output with this bowl. Tried on hi and med hi. This looks packed but it's not. Just .11 tossed in there. Shredded up nice and fluffy

IMG_20160904_123330_zpsffnc4eur.jpg

Last edited:

BRAND1SH

I save trees

BRAND1SH

I save trees
...never have used that much...mine produces vapor at medium low...I have never gone to high with flower..
Check my edit lol. It's only .11. And I've tried with less. Also have tried thru all 5 heat setting. Put that same amount, out of the same grinder in my ff1 and as always, was amazing! Hopefully i can ship this brick off soon.

PS: you really like ellipses don't you ? :cool:

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Can't figure out how to embed a Google drive video and photo bucket keeps failing.

Check it out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywcgSzNCNagU3oyVVZoV2U4Rms/view?usp=drivesdk

Believe it or not I actually exhaled lmao. You can see it a little bit if you squint. Sigh.

Another note: after going thru/giving up on a bowl, there's barely any stickiness. The material is lighter but not dark. Same stuff in my ff2 produces thick clouds and gums up the insides pretty good after a couple bowls. Hmmm

Last edited:

jay87

Can't figure out how to embed a Google drive video and photo bucket keeps failing.

Check it out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywcgSzNCNagU3oyVVZoV2U4Rms/view?usp=drivesdk

Believe it or not I actually exhaled lmao. You can see it a little bit if you squint. Sigh.

Another note: after going thru/giving up on a bowl, there's barely any stickiness. The material is lighter but not dark. Same stuff in my ff2 produces thick clouds and gums up the insides pretty good after a couple bowls. Hmmm

If you aren't getting clouds from concentrates either your device is broken or it's user error.

I can tell you that I can get a nice cloud on my very first draw using concentrates so long as the draw is long enough and you hit the sweet spot.

For me I can literally pack the FF2 then begin taking draws at the same consistent speed and I'll get clouds all the way through very easily.

Like someone else said above If your device is in proper working order and you're having issues with wispy vapor and you've done everything that's been mentioned then I'd be willing to be you're drawing too hard or not long enough.

@BRAND1SH I notice in your video that your draw length is actually very short and that was your first draw on the pack. You heated the FF2 up for awhile before drawing which is good but then your actual draw was only ~10-15 seconds. Remember that the load is only heated while you are actually taking a draw. I can't tell how hard you were drawing but the whistle was loud and clear which means you might be drawing too hard.

If you took a 10 second draw while drawing too hard on the first draw of the load I am not surprised at all that you got the lack of vapor production that was in that video.

Try the same thing but take longer draws, slower draws, and more draws. I'd say the first draw or 2 draws are warmup draws, after that vapor production ramps up as the load is heated. Good luck! :tup:

BRAND1SH

I save trees
If you aren't getting clouds from concentrates either your device is broken or it's user error.

I can tell you that I can get a nice cloud on my very first draw using concentrates so long as the draw is long enough and you hit the sweet spot.

For me I can literally pack the FF2 then begin taking draws at the same consistent speed and I'll get clouds all the way through very easily.

Like someone else said above If your device is in proper working order and you're having issues with wispy vapor and you've done everything that's been mentioned then I'd be willing to be you're drawing too hard or not long enough.

@BRAND1SH I notice in your video that your draw length is actually very short and that was your first draw on the pack. You heated the FF2 up for awhile before drawing which is good but then your actual draw was only ~10-15 seconds. Remember that the load is only heated while you are actually taking a draw. I can't tell how hard you were drawing but the whistle was loud and clear which means you might be drawing too hard.

If you took a 10 second draw while drawing too hard on the first draw of the load I am not surprised at all that you got the lack of vapor production that was in that video.

Try the same thing but take longer draws, slower draws, and more draws. I'd say the first draw or 2 draws are warmup draws, after that vapor production ramps up as the load is heated. Good luck! :tup:
That was actually the second draw lol. The one that's supposed to be the biggest. First draw and/or cold start would make you wait for the flashing green light to go steady. This was already "warmed up" lol. I hear what you're saying and I appreciate it but... My ff1 works amazingly and I am drawing the same way with ff2. And also out of frustration have wasted a good 2 grams of strawberry Diesel trying everyone else's suggestions to no avail. Even when I know my trusty ff1 is sitting there, ready to go. I've done everything you suggested. The resulting exhales were all like in the video. Or less :(. Trust me! I wish it was user error lol, then the fix would be easier then sending in for replacement. However I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be able to transfer a "spent" ff2 bowl in to the ff1 and finally get clouds haha.

Also, no matter how much or little I put in the bowl, or how soft or hard I draw, the insides of the ff2 barely get sticky. Put that stuff in the ff1 and it's all gummed up after a few draws (that yes, produce vapor; post ff2). Something isn't right.

Bowl condition after the video.

Last edited:

BRAND1SH

I save trees
I think you may have a problem boss. :nod:
Agreed. I remember when I got my ff1 I opened it in my car, packed it and immediately got an amazing draw. So far I've had this one 21 hours and it hasn't given me anything even closely resembling satisfaction. Well, I got light headed from hours of slow draws but that wasn't my intent lol.

Hoodooguru23

Sorry to be a skunk at the picnic but my FF2 has begun gathering dust in my goody box while my Pax2 is hard at work. I had tried all the suggestions (including calling FF) and experimentation and I occasionally get A good hit out of a bowl but usually only by taking uncomfortably long successive pulls. These pulmonary gyrations do get me ripped but I like to be able to moderate and control my hits. My Pax2 ALWAYS gives me a good hit - big or little as I prefer. My FF2 not only has little vapor it has little taste. My Pax2 tastes amazing at the beginning of a bowl, very good for the 2nd round, and so-so the rest of the way. So I'm still looking for that great, discreet portable where every hit is as good as the first.

Perhaps my FF2 is defective, though I'm not sure how. But beyond lack of cloud and taste I'm not really crazy about the form factor. Way bigger and clunkier than the Pax which slips easily in a pocket and stealthily in my hand. Holding the buttons in while hitting the FF2 is unwieldy and uncomfortable. And having an app to change temperatures is just plain stupid. Please Pax, when you come out with Pax3 please don't follow this folly.

I do love how easy it is to clean FF2 unlike the Pax which involves a 5-10 minute science project every two to three days.

Damn I wanted to love this thing. And I don't. But if anyone has any suggestion I'm willing to take it out and give it one more try before giving up on it forever.

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Sorry to be a skunk at the picnic but my FF2 has begun gathering dust in my goody box while my Pax2 is hard at work. I had tried all the suggestions (including calling FF) and experimentation and I occasionally get A good hit out of a bowl but usually only by taking uncomfortably long successive pulls. These pulmonary gyrations do get me ripped but I like to be able to moderate and control my hits. My Pax2 ALWAYS gives me a good hit - big or little as I prefer. My FF2 not only has little vapor it has little taste. My Pax2 tastes amazing at the beginning of a bowl, very good for the 2nd round, and so-so the rest of the way. So I'm still looking for that great, discreet portable where every hit is as good as the first.

Perhaps my FF2 is defective, though I'm not sure how. But beyond lack of cloud and taste I'm not really crazy about the form factor. Way bigger and clunkier than the Pax which slips easily in a pocket and stealthily in my hand. Holding the buttons in while hitting the FF2 is unwieldy and uncomfortable. And having an app to change temperatures is just plain stupid. Please Pax, when you come out with Pax3 please don't follow this folly.

I do love how easy it is to clean FF2 unlike the Pax which involves a 5-10 minute science project every two to three days.

Damn I wanted to love this thing. And I don't. But if anyone has any suggestion I'm willing to take it out and give it one more try before giving up on it forever.
I think I might be in the same boat soon. Our options will probably be Craigslist and eBay. Sadly. Thankfully I have several other vapes that perform as advertised.

Baron23

I notice in your video that your draw length is actually very short and that was your first draw on the pack. You heated the FF2 up for awhile before drawing which is good but then your actual draw was only ~10-15 seconds.

I timed it...he drew on it for 20 seconds....just how long of a draw is needed and how many of us can draw for 30 seconds without keeling over. :ugh:

I personally think he has a defective unit and coaching him up ain't going to fix that, even though its very nice of the community to try to do so.

Cheers

BabaRobDass

Here's my grind/pack for reference. This exact portion would floor me in my ff1. I had to almost squint to see the ff2s output with this bowl. Tried on hi and med hi. This looks packed but it's not. Just .11 tossed in there. Shredded up nice and fluffy

IMG_20160904_123330_zpsffnc4eur.jpg

Brandish,
Pics CAN be deceiving but in this pic, it looks to me a) that your grind is super duper coarse and b) perhaps over filled bowl too. Those two things together will give you zero airflow around the material and little to no vapor production. Was that hand torn or with a grinder? I've never seen a grinder that went THAT coarse. Just just a smidge more coarse- if you have a SC shredder use that or similar. Fill bowl just over rim- yours looks to be WELL over the rim.

I bet you money if you take those two things to heart- you will see big difference. Good luck, brother.

BRAND1SH

I save trees
Brandish,
Pics CAN be deceiving but in this pic, it looks to me a) that your grind is super duper coarse and b) perhaps over filled bowl too. Those two things together will give you zero airflow around the material and little to no vapor production. Was that hand torn or with a grinder? I've never seen a grinder that went THAT coarse. Just just a smidge more coarse- if you have a SC shredder use that or similar. Fill bowl just over rim- yours looks to be WELL over the rim.

I bet you money if you take those two things to heart- you will see big difference. Good luck, brother.
That was .12 g, recommended amount is .1-.15. Besides that's just one pic and it wasn't packed in that pic, just tossed in loosely, maybe the macro close up is misleading. Regardless, that same amount gives me great results with my ff1. I've tried less, I've tried different grinders (SC, space case, and hand torn). After trying to vape 4 bowls with the methods everyone is recommending, my bowl isn't even sticky or gummed up, while my ff1 needs a wipedown after every bowl. There just isn't enough heat being generated it feels like. 26 hours I've had this thing and haven't seen anything close to what I would call vapor, especially after owning a ff1 for the past 2 years. Shit happens, just tends to happen more to things made in China lol. Or is the ff2 not meant to outperform the ff1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom