The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaicrevival

I want the app. I love technology. I want the cell phone to be the size of a blood cell and introduced into my bloodstream via transdermal patch. I want to turn into a 15 dimensional cybernetic godlike being hurling toward the stars in a virtual reality ship with all of mankind abord, I want my vape with an app. Call me a heretic.

Archaicrevival

...said the guy using a...MFLB! :rofl:
I tried the ascent but it gave off silicone vapors, then I got the pax2 but sold it, thinking the mivape would be the new best thing. It was garbage, I never liked the look of mighty/crafty/arizer.... so I ordered a trusty classic efficient mflb and vapcap, until the firefly 2 comes out.

Sometimes, in times of uncertainty its best to look to the past for inspiration to navigate into the future with hope.

I'm a sucker for simplicity and aesthetics
NPLxpQf.gif

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
do feel the privacy and simplicity concerns....

Simplicity is the thing I worry about the most. I usually see complex new features as "more things that will break". I can envision a variety of problematic scenarios, if I let myself worry in advance. I think the worst case scenario is probably having the FF get stuck on an undesirable heat level, somehow. But it would be easy to resolve, I'm sure.

...said the guy using a...MFLB! :rofl:

There's an app for that? No wonder I can never get that goddamm thing to work right. :lol:

RobDaBomb

I've never had a firefly 1 so I'm not sure how long lived they are, but I kind of thought that there being a 5 year warranty was a good sign (though the warranty isn't useful if it's overly strict with what it accepts, or the company gives you a lot of trouble before honouring it, which is also something I have no clue about) Is it pretty likely that the new one will have the 5 year as well?

I'm only assuming they'll offer the same warranty. Firefly excels when it comes to customer service. My new Firefly, purchased from a head shop, came out of the box with a failing battery, a deep scratch on the top cover, and a weird little burn mark inside the mouthpiece. I nonchalantly mentioned it to the Firefly rep when trying to get a replacement battery, but the guy went above and beyond. He felt so bad about the scratch on the cover that he had a replacement cover sent out the next day for free. Additionally he said I could return the Firefly to them itself anytime within the next 5 years to have it replaced due to that visual defect in the mouthpiece. I can't believe they are willing to give me an entirely new unit over this, honestly very minuscule, slight mark on the inner part of the mouthpiece (which is nearly completely out of sight unless you're looking there to spot it)! I'll take them up on the offer once the FF2 comes out.

Additionally I still want it to be known that I'm not against apps! I am all for there being an app that goes alongside the FF2, but I'm not for the basic controls (like temp presets) being ONLY accessible via the app.

For example, nearly every TV made includes physical buttons for changing the channel/volume/etc... on the device itself alongside of a normal remote control. Something that's used often and is as important to people like a vaporizer, should be designed for the utmost usability and reliability. Like WiFi coffee makers! They're great to wake up to and use your cell phone to set in bed, but they leave physical buttons on it too for the 1/10 times you want to use the device but your phone isn't nearby, charged, working, etc...

VapeKat

Yo MitchGo61! Having pre ordered the first Firefly myself and enjoyed one everyday for a year until it broke and easily got a replacement under warranty and still continue to enjoy my Firefly everyday, I have no issue with using an app to control the temperature. However, they could easily make a PC downloadable software that would let you change the temperature without a smartphone you would just need a bluetooth USB dongle which are dirt cheap and someone to write up the software. I mean if you really wanted to you could install an android emulator for Windows/Mac/linux and use a Bluetooth USB and connect to it that way very easily without any work on their part.

Perhaps you could email Firefly and find out if there is a way to alter the firmware that would allow it to have a certain button press time and then allow it to change the temperature manually. For example doing 5 quick taps on both buttons at the same time which makes the light blink continuously and then you use one button to go up and the other button to go down. It seems to me that would be an easy fix with a firmware patch.

YungLeaner

I'm thinking that part of this could be a generation gap thing. Speaking as someone on the younger side of the equation, I haven't had my phone out of reach in weeks, at least, and probably bordering on years. It is a huge part of my browsing, my social life and my business life, and so the idea of connecting it to my vaping doesn't feel exciting, exactly, but it also doesn't feel oppressive or unappealing in any intense way. I agree that temp-stepping seems easy enough to implement on the vape itself.

But as influential as they may be, FC connoisseurs may not be FF's main concern in designing this vape. Cannabis is exploding in America, and on the West Coast it feels like coffee--everyone's doing it. Perhaps with the app and marketing, Firefly is hoping to attract a younger market?

My biggest question to @mitchgo1 is how ease of use has changed, if at all. I own plenty of vapes and I'm capable of producing clouds on pretty much anything short of a PuffIt, the Firefly wasn't an enjoyable vape for me to own because I felt as though its performance was inconsistent and much too based on packing, draw speed (so slow it was torturous) and battery life, even with the 770. I just wasn't getting consistent vapor production, and for a heavy user, that combined with the tiny bowl size made it very unpalatable. How many seconds must you inhale before getting visible vapor in the FF2?

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I

My biggest question to @mitchgo1 is how ease of use has changed, if at all. I own plenty of vapes and I'm capable of producing clouds on pretty much anything short of a PuffIt, the Firefly wasn't an enjoyable vape for me to own because I felt as though its performance was inconsistent and much too based on packing, draw speed (so slow it was torturous) and battery life, even with the 770. I just wasn't getting consistent vapor production, and for a heavy user, that combined with the tiny bowl size made it very unpalatable. How many seconds must you inhale before getting visible vapor in the FF2?

It's a million miles improved over FF1. Once the light is solid, you draw, and boom....thick rich vapor. On any of the heat settings, including low.

It's gone from tricky, technique-driven device to easy, anyone-can-hit-it-the-first-time device. It can stand next to any super-easy-to-use vape.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
This vape really interests me. I'm looking for an easy to use vape to use in a group setting. How big is the bowl? I'm thinking a .2-.3 gram bowl would suit my needs.

I own a home unit and a portable, and have preordered another portable. The only gap in my arsenal so to speak is a portable easy to use session vape to enjoy with a group of friends. Convection is a must for me, so that rules out vapes like the Pax2 and Mighty.

Vapor_Eyes,
Reactions: Derrrpp

Mr. Me2

This vape really interests me. I'm looking for an easy to use vape to use in a group setting. How big is the bowl? I'm thinking a .2-.3 gram bowl would suit my needs.

I own a home unit and a portable, and have preordered another portable. The only gap in my arsenal so to speak is a portable easy to use session vape to enjoy with a group of friends. Convection is a must for me, so that rules out vapes like the Pax2 and Mighty.
This one isn't a session Vape; pure convection....

But I think it's gonna be a winner!

hippogriff

It's a million miles improved over FF1. Once the light is solid, you draw, and boom....thick rich vapor. On any of the heat settings, including low.

It's gone from tricky, technique-driven device to easy, anyone-can-hit-it-the-first-time device. It can stand next to any super-easy-to-use vape.
Wow, that's a huge statement, hope we get to see more soon! Any idea if they are aiming for a lower price point, too? The combo of price and finicky-ness kept me from the FF1, and now there are strong, quick convection choices under $200, so I imagine they have to move on price, but what do I know?

hippogriff,

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
I expect the price to remain about the same, or even go up a little maybe. This is after all a brand new, and from the sounds of it, much-improved device. The price of the FF1 will likely go down (if they decide to keep selling it alongside the FF2, that is). I don't think anyone can know for sure except the guys at Firefly themselves.

Also, I'm not aware of a battery-powered instant convection portable that goes for less than $200... (I could be wrong about that though...)

:2c:

Edited to add strike-through

Last edited:
Derrrpp,

Mr. Me2

I expect the price to remain about the same, or even go up a little maybe. This is after all a brand new, and from the sounds of it, much-improved device. The price of the FF1 will likely go down (if they decide to keep selling it alongside the FF2, that is). I don't think anyone can know for sure except the guys at Firefly themselves.

Also, I'm not aware of a battery-powered instant convection portable that goes for less than $200... (I could be wrong about that though...)

:2c:
Gh and fw3 are two...

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
I was wrong! Thank you for correcting me. I had forgotten about the FW and for some reason thought GH cost more... I will edit my above post. :)

:peace:

Derrrpp,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

TooMuchTuna

I was pleased to see this in my inbox today. I was an early adopter of the (original) Firefly and have been looking forward to the next version. With that said, the talk of the temperature settings only being controlled by an android or iOS app is a major turnoff. I hope they have an alternative solution for adjusting temperature settings planned because right now that's the only thing that would stop me from preordering.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I've been through three in a year, that's my basis for my complaint. They get replaced/repaired fast enough but it's not much fun.

I find the FF one of the more frustrating vapes I own. When it's working great and everything is right it's one of my favorite portables, but then it'll char a load out of nowhere or the batteries will die even though you just pulled them off the charger or it'll just stop heating up one day.

Hopefully the FF2 fixes all this, but I'm not gonna be the first one boarding the train.

Ha that's exactly how i feel about my FF1. I call it the Saab, it's great when it's running, which is practically never.

Speaking of never that's how much I use my FF since getting a grasshopper, I also have a mivape and pax2 which have their limited roles in the rotation but the GH is my daily driving BMW 3 series.

That said, still intrigued by this new Saab though next time I'll probably test drive before I buy. I bought the FF about a year ago while waiting for the GH and it was my favorite vape for awhile but compared to a GH not worth the effort.

If FF2 doesn't need a full pack or stirring it might be pretty cool!

RobDaBomb

Hey @mitchgo61, quick question here. Now after thoroughly getting used to the prototype FF2, do you ever find yourself having the desire to go use one of your original Firefly's from time to time? Or has the prototype replaced them almost completely?

RobDaBomb,

Machine Elf

It's interesting they claim it's got an all glass air path. Does that mean the final production units will feature a glass mouthpiece instead of the plastic MP on the beta unit mitchgo61's using?

Edit: Just read it again and they don't claim all glass, just a glass air path. so I suppose the plastic mouthpiece may be on the final design.

Last edited:
Machine Elf,
Reactions: RobDaBomb
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom