The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkrom

Great Scott!
Seems to create a privacy concern to me. Very interested in hearing about exactly what data FF is collecting.

With Android you can directly download an app and install it, bypassing the app store.

I'm all for privacy. That being said if someone else has access to your google account or your app store history, what kind of private life are you living? Yeah, don't install a vape app on a work issued phone. Other than that if your device is secure who is going to see it?

I highly doubt firefly is fishing for user information. How exactly would that help them sell more retail goods? They aren't google or apple where they profit from user data IMHO.

Speculation here, but netflix uses all kinds of permissions with things like the ability to suggest shows to friends, connect with friends on social media I believe (I dont use any to confirm). Stuff like that.

If you are REALLY security conscious you wouldn't be installing apps like netflix, and if you want to take it a step further you wouldn't install any closed source app or even any app you haven't compiled yourself from source, on your rom compiled from source. All of this is both logical and ridiculous to do, depending on the person. Everyone has to draw the line between privacy/security and usability somewhere.

If you REALLY want to confirm that firefly is not collecting data, make a nandroid of your phone, install a fresh rom, don't install ANY apps or google accounts. Sideload the FF2 app, and sniff your own network traffic. It seems excessive for me, but if I thought they were up to something insidious, thats how I'd put that claim to bed.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
I personally like the idea of the app control, but simply wouldn't want to download /use it because of the privacy concerns.
(however you feel, OK, but this is how I feel)

I think that a fair number of potential customers might be put off by this, but that number might be balanced by those attracted by the same feature who are less concerned about the potential privacy issue, who knows?

My own solution would be to install the app onto an old android phone (not via the play store) without a sim card, set the temp, then leave it at that.
Far from perfect, but another option nonetheless.

Best possible solution?:
Make temps manually controllable too.
Satisfies both enthusiasts and nay-sayers.
:2c:

Jack Sprat

I'm all for privacy. That being said if someone else has access to your google account or your app store history, what kind of private life are you living? Yeah, don't install a vape app on a work issued phone. Other than that if your device is secure who is going to see it?

I highly doubt firefly is fishing for user information. How exactly would that help them sell more retail goods? They aren't google or apple where they profit from user data IMHO.

Speculation here, but netflix uses all kinds of permissions with things like the ability to suggest shows to friends, connect with friends on social media I believe (I dont use any to confirm). Stuff like that.

If you are REALLY security conscious you wouldn't be installing apps like netflix, and if you want to take it a step further you wouldn't install any closed source app or even any app you haven't compiled yourself from source, on your rom compiled from source. All of this is both logical and ridiculous to do, depending on the person. Everyone has to draw the line between privacy/security and usability somewhere.

If you REALLY want to confirm that firefly is not collecting data, make a nandroid of your phone, install a fresh rom, don't install ANY apps or google accounts. Sideload the FF2 app, and sniff your own network traffic. It seems excessive for me, but if I thought they were up to something insidious, thats how I'd put that claim to bed.
One of the main guys from FF previously worked at Apple, so I'm sure they are familiar with monetizing user data should they choose to do that.

Jack Sprat,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I personally like the idea of the app control, but simply wouldn't want to download /use it because of the privacy concerns.
(however you feel, OK, but this is how I feel)

I think that a fair number of potential customers might be put off by this, but that number might be balanced by those attracted by the same feature who are less concerned about the potential privacy issue, who knows?

:2c:

I bet it won't surprise you to learn that the FF guys are very smart, and they did quite a bit of market and feature research prior to developing the app. I was told they received tons of requests from various users for this approach. Now, they didn't ask me about this feature, and I would have said no to it. But they are way, way, way fucking smarter than I am, especially about their products. So again, my assumption, which I think is pretty safe is "the creative geniuses know way more than I do."

I worked at a large, evil, not-to-be-named software company for years. The most valuable thing I learned there was the difference between me (pretty smart guy) and the real visionary geniuses with whom I had the pleasure, and some days displeasure, of working. I sense much the same delta between myself and the FF top dogs....just because they value my input as a power-user doesn't mean I know what's best for their product. I can buy it, or not....that's my consumer power. But that ain't the same thing as brain power, at least in my experience. And again, I mostly agree with the "local control' preference. But it's not agitating me to any material degree, and despite being a dopey stoner, I do have one advantage here: I've actually used the device, every day, for 12 straight days now. ("Straight" isn't the best word here...:p). And FWIW those are my :2c:.

jim-bob

FWIW, if somebody wants to know what temperatures I prefer to vaporize [undisclosed material unless there's some kind of analyzer inside the FF2 that reports back to their secret surveillance laboratory] at, I'm really not too worried about it.

Jack Sprat

Kind of a flawed assumption? That's like saying the guy who sweeps the floors at NASA should know about rocket propulsion.
The partner from Apple was a software developer, not a floor sweeper. Not sure what the other partner did before, but the article I just read about them mentioned a silicone valley job.

FWIW, if somebody wants to know what temperatures I prefer to vaporize [undisclosed material unless there's some kind of analyzer inside the FF2 that reports back to their secret surveillance laboratory] at, I'm really not too worried about it.
We all don't have that same luxury.

Jack Sprat,

RobDaBomb

I think we ought to wait until the vape comes out to complain about it and it's app. Just my :2c:

Well I think a lot of people are trying to voice their negative opinions about it beforehand so that, by the entirely unlikely and super slim chance, maybe a Firefly rep sees this and realizes a hefty portion of this thread is just negative feedback about the temperature control being only editable via app. Afterwards perhaps they'd consider programming the circuitry to include a manual temp control option before the official release, thus appealing to nearly every potential FF2 customer.

I'm sure they did their research and thought this was the best way to do things... but, as you can clearly see, app-only control is highly controversial here. So, my main question to FF, why would you limit the device like this?? It seriously can't be very hard to program a button hold/multiple clicks/etc... to change preset temperatures -- so why are you willing to piss off so many people and deter potential buyers just for your app-only control?

Now is the time to conduct research and garner feedback... not after it's too late when the device is already completed and released.

Personally with the way I see it, it's worth putting in a little extra work to create manual temp controls if it'll help sales and the overall quality of their flagship product. Plus it'd take away one of the communities only major complaints.

Last edited:

hafalump

Well I mean, they don't design a Vape thinking you're going to lend it to your friend, more than any smarthpone company doesn't design it for you to lend it out. You're over thinking it man. You expressed this Vape will not work for you and that's ok.

Ive been know to loan friends all sorts of things, from tools to vapes to climbing equipment.
I'm not over thinking anything, gee maybe i need an app to run my chainsaw?

darkrom

Great Scott!
Ive been know to loan friends all sorts of things, from tools to vapes to climbing equipment.
I'm not over thinking anything, gee maybe i need an app to run my chainsaw?

On the flip side, who needs a fancy chainsaw when you can use a hand saw? Why add the complication of a motor?

Innovation can't please everyone the same way simplistic basics can't please anyone. This time around firefly wanted to go with modern tech, which I'm guessing will appeal to more people than it puts off. That's just my guess, though I do see both sides.

No one has mentioned the fact that this means one less button/switch that could possibly fail. Of course there is a bunch of BT stuff that could fail in its place, but nothing to physically break anyway.

perennialflare

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to bring this up, it's my first post here.

I was wondering about the release date for firefly 2. Everywhere I look, I only see 2016 which is fair enough, looks like the creators have only shared the year of release. That is, everywhere except for one place. thevapecritic claims that the manufacturer intends to release it in the month of February (source: http://www.vapecritic.com/blog/2016/01/08/firefly-2/ )

When only one source has a specific piece of information, I'm inclined to think that source is mistaken. But all the same, I thought it would be good to ask, as it's possible this is information he got unofficially (like, someone from the company says to this guy "yeah we're hoping for February but we haven't officially defined out release yet so its not a guarantee") Plus, I'm hopeful in general since February isn't far from now.

perennialflare,

mitchgo61

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to bring this up, it's my first post here.

I was wondering about the release date for firefly 2.

When only one source has a specific piece of information, I'm inclined to think that source is mistaken. But all the same, I thought it would be good to ask, as it's possible this is information he got unofficially (like, someone from the company says to this guy "yeah we're hoping for February but we haven't officially defined out release yet so its not a guarantee") Plus, I'm hopeful in general since February isn't far from now.

There is no official release date from FF so far. Not sure where he heard February....but they appear to be very near the end of the process and are teasing photos so I'm sure February is a better guess than, say, July. But they haven't said anything specific. (They did say on their Instagram page something about more info next week....so perhaps we will hear more soon?)

perennialflare

There is no official release date from FF so far. Not sure where he heard February....but they appear to be very near the end of the process and are teasing photos so I'm sure February is a better guess than, say, July. But they haven't said anything specific. (They did say on their Instagram page something about more info next week....so perhaps we will hear more soon?)

thanks for the reply! Honestly, I thought as much, but my desire for a second opinion was greater than my worry about asking a dumb question

Mr. Me2

For no particular reason, I'll add my :2c: here about app v. no app comparing this to theCrafty/Mighty. Everyone probably knows the Crafty relies on an app and the Mighty doesn't.

Although I would prefer a Vape that doesn't rely on an app, I got the Crafty instead of the Mighty. I found that once I settled on a temp, I was pretty much done with the app. I RARELY go to it. I expect that will be the same with the ff2. And I wouldn't be surprised if part of their reason to go this path was to reduce the size of the ff2 (and maybe to simplify the build).

No temp settings in the ff1 was one of its drawbacks for me so I'm thrilled to see it addressed in this version. It sounds like they took the path of the pax2, listening to users of the 1st version and taking action. And from what I've read from @mitchgo61, it sounds like they hit it out of the park!

I can't wait to see the finished product!!!

420engineer

I was thinking that about the temp control tbh

I never had an issue with not having electronic temp control on my Firefly 1, as it is easily controlled trough draw speed, so if I can just dial in the highest, I can lower it with a fast draw, and no need to go into the app again

I'm still on board

mitchgo61

For no particular reason, I'll add my :2c: here about app v. no app comparing this to theCrafty/Mighty. Everyone probably knows the Crafty relies on an app and the Mighty doesn't.

Although I would prefer a Vape that doesn't rely on an app, I got the Crafty instead of the Mighty. I found that once I settled on a temp, I was pretty much done with the app. I RARELY go to it. I expect that will be the same with the ff2. And I wouldn't be surprised if part of their reason to go this path was to reduce the size of the ff2 (and maybe to simplify the build).

No temp settings in the ff1 was one of its drawbacks for me so I'm thrilled to see it addressed in this version. It sounds like they took the path of the pax2, listening to users of the 1st version and taking action. And from what I've read from @mitchgo61, it sounds like they hit it out of the park!

I can't wait to see the finished product!!!
I was thinking that about the temp control tbh

I never had an issue with not having electronic temp control on my Firefly 1, as it is easily controlled trough draw speed, so if I can just dial in the highest, I can lower it with a fast draw, and no need to go into the app again

I'm still on board

This was kind of my point....it's been designed to sort of "set and forget" once you find the range you like. The current settings do a decent job of that. It will be very much a personal decision as to whether this works for folks or not. So far, for me, it's been doing a good job....I don't feel the need to change the settings constantly. Although at times I have enjoyed stepping up, but I've also done entire sessions on High and gotten the full temp spectrum via draw technique.

It's not ideal, obviously, but it works fine, and if this is a deal-breaker for some folks, then it'll just be a deal-breaker. For the rest of us, I think we'll be quite happy with the large improvements over FF1. :2c:

perennialflare

I didn't realize app temp control was such an issue 0.0 still though, the people against it here have made pretty good points, just points that don't relate to me so much. I thought the crafty was super neat for having app temp control, because it gives you so much variance. Kind of sucks that you have to use an app just for presets though, and one concern I do have it that the new app might not be compatible on my sad old android (galaxy ace 2, and it's done this before to supposedly universal apps)

One thing I'm curious about is how reliable it will be on the longevity front. I've never had a firefly 1 so I'm not sure how long lived they are, but I kind of thought that there being a 5 year warranty was a good sign (though the warranty isn't useful if it's overly strict with what it accepts, or the company gives you a lot of trouble before honouring it, which is also something I have no clue about) Is it pretty likely that the new one will have the 5 year as well?

perennialflare,
Reactions: vapen00b

mitchgo61

One thing I'm curious about is how reliable it will be on the longevity front. I've never had a firefly 1 so I'm not sure how long lived they are, but I kind of thought that there being a 5 year warranty was a good sign (though the warranty isn't useful if it's overly strict with what it accepts, or the company gives you a lot of trouble before honouring it, which is also something I have no clue about) Is it pretty likely that the new one will have the 5 year as well?

I'm assuming they will offer the same warranty but I haven't heard anything definitive. I think it's a safe bet...whatever coverage they offer, they are usually pretty stellar with service.

I know reliability was a big FF1 issue they were trying to resolve with changes made in FF2. Only time, volume, and quite likely this thread, will tell the real story.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah, it still seems to work like a single temp manual convection on demand vape like the FF1, a fun versatile style, especially bc temp control is very imprecise with these type of vapes in my experience. These temps seem to just offer a limit you can set, very nice for someone if you want to keep your herbs golden brown instead if taking them dark. I think I am going to love the 360 and 380 temps personally, and probably wouldn't change it too much. I do feel the privacy and simplicity concerns, and agree that I hope it's not too late for another option (I'd actually like hooking it to a computer like Elevape instead of a phone, but that's better with 3 temps to set... FF1 does have a nice toggle switch already, but doable with even one button and led colors or patterns). However at the same time I do also kind of hope it is too late bc it is ready for release already without a drawn out teasing period?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom