The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
thanks for the reply. so this morning, i wake up and i take a hit off of the ff2 and it doesnt blink green, just goes straight to solid green. does this make sense?

Not really! Did you get a hit right away?

Last edited:
mitchgo61,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
The FF bowl only holds .12gs at most. Hardly wasteful or what any of us would consider a lot of material.

Indeed, that's about what I use on average, or rather "at most". Hardly a lot.

Then what about tamping instead of packing full? I know most people say it's not the way convection vapes should work, but even in the Zion which is about 100% convection, I find that if I don't tamp a bit, it doesn't create the local partial vaccuum required to extract properly. Hot air just flows around the plant bits following the path of least resistance and has no time to extract anything. I then get a wispy mostly blank hot air hit, quite displeasant that is. It was even worse with my Firewood 2.1.

mitchgo61

Indeed, that's about what I use on average, or rather "at most". Hardly a lot.

Then what about tamping instead of packing full? I know most people say it's not the way convection vapes should work, but even in the Zion which is about 100% convection, I find that if I don't tamp a bit, it doesn't create the local partial vaccuum required to extract properly. Hot air just flows around the plant bits following the path of least resistance and has no time to extract anything. I then get a wispy mostly blank hot air hit, quite displeasant that is. It was even worse with my Firewood 2.1.

Yep I totally agree. It's about density rather than amount. But it's hard to achieve that without packing a lot in there.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: KeroZen

jazzbass

I'm not a very experienced vaper. Years ago I had a Vrip vape. PITA using the heat gun, etc. Went about 5 years with no vaping and got a Goboof Alfa. Small. stealthy, in general good performance. But beyond the first hit---conduction vape flavor. Pretty harsh, too. Then I got an E-Nano. Wonderful unit but it was difficult for me to get consistent hits. Decent clouds. Hated the cord---not so much the cord, but the dimmer on the cord. Still---a good value I think.

After one bowl on the FF I pretty much had it down. I think that any convection vape will have a learning curve. There are a lot more variables to deal with. So---if you want a no-brainer---get a conduction. But if you want superior quality of performance---get convection. As I said---I'm a bit of a noob and after one bowl I had it down. Medium grind, load just above the top and lightly tamp down. Don't pull too hard---slow and consistent.

I'm only 3 bowls in an am very comfortable. I don't know why, but the effects of the FF2 seem to be stronger.

One question---in the manual it says to wait for the solid green to go. Fine. But then it says that for additional hits it should be solid green and you're good to go. Well, I waited about 30 seconds after a hit and went for a second. The light was immediately green but the glow started ramping up from no-glow. It seems that even though it's solid green, one should wait for the glow to reach its peak. (5 seconds approx.) I tried immediately after seeing the solid green but it really seemed like the heater wanted a few seconds to get back up to full.

Not a criticism at all---just want to perfect my technique!

Again---I could get big clouds no sweat. Bigger than my 60 year old lungs can handle!

mitchgo61

One question---in the manual it says to wait for the solid green to go. Fine. But then it says that for additional hits it should be solid green and you're good to go. Well, I waited about 30 seconds after a hit and went for a second. The light was immediately green but the glow started ramping up from no-glow. It seems that even though it's solid green, one should wait for the glow to reach its peak. (5 seconds approx.) I tried immediately after seeing the solid green but it really seemed like the heater wanted a few seconds to get back up to full.

Not a criticism at all---just want to perfect my technique!

Again---I could get big clouds no sweat. Bigger than my 60 year old lungs can handle!

Gaming the hits based on the glow won't work....the glow becomes dimmer and less visible as the unit heats up. Not that waiting a few seconds on the second or third hit is a bad idea per se, but I wouldn't try to time the glow. It's pretty hard to see it once the FF really gets cranking.

mitchgo61,

Sh4dy15

Can anyone that has had both compare draw resistance and cloud size to Solo?

I always here that people think Solo had a restricted draw but before the solo I had the Flowermate v5.0s and thought that was even more restrictive.

Sh4dy15,

FLMan420

Can anyone that has had both compare draw resistance and cloud size to Solo?

I always here that people think Solo had a restricted draw but before the solo I had the Flowermate v5.0s and thought that was even more restrictive.

The draw resistance is less than the Solo but I have yet to produce clouds, yet I will admit I cannot make big clouds with the Solo either. The vapor quality is much better than the Solo and the FF2 seems to get me more stoned than the Solo does. The FF2 is a significant upgrade over the Solo.

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
People struggling to pull clouds .. you get out what you put in. If you have mids you will struggle to get large clouds.

I dont see how big chunks can be more effective for ploomage. More surface area exposed means bigger clouds.. just watch the density of the pack. Its convection so the air needs to flow.

VapourHaze,
Reactions: snamuh

Rantor49

After using mine for a while, I find that coarse grind works best. I get nice clouds and great vapor that way.
I am very happy with this vape and really like the convection vape. Much better than my pax 2 which is only other vape I have.
And when I say clouds I'm also comparing to pax2. FF2 gives me bigger clouds than pax2

theCerberus

People struggling to pull clouds .. you get out what you put in. If you have mids you will struggle to get large clouds.

I dont see how big chunks can be more effective for ploomage. More surface area exposed means bigger clouds.. just watch the density of the pack. Its convection so the air needs to flow.

Nah, this vaporizer is confusing and doesnt work like other vaporizers.

I get huge clouds out of my solo or vapexhale cloud evo, or even my volcano if I put the same stuff in very finely ground.

I have 29.9% THC Sour Diesel. I dont think its the quality of the herb thats the problem.

This vape does however like more sticky product, a course/hand picked grind, packed fairly well, below the rim of the bowl. I seem to be getting some decent clouds today with flower packed like that, but I still have to stir it up a fair bit.

It is counter intuitive because dry finely ground stuff works great in other convection vapes.

stoneloc

This vape does however like more sticky product, a course/hand picked grind, packed fairly well, below the rim of the bowl. I seem to be getting some decent clouds today with flower packed like that, but I still have to stir it up a fair bit.

It is counter intuitive because dry finely ground stuff works great in other convection vapes.

And a little unfortunate because I keep my stuff dried out for the other vapes. It also lets me buy more at a time. It'd kind of suck if I had one special snowflake vape that needed it kept sticky.

I'm kind of glad I didn't already preorder this. It sounds like the quality is great when dialed in, and lord knows I appreciate something dead easy to clean, but I'm really not a fan of fiddly prep and technique. I can get a decent high now off my MFLB if I don't mind fiddly prep and technique. The whole purpose of dropping $300+ is to have the electronics do all the fiddly bits.

snamuh

ghost
Damn it FedEx! Still haven't arrived! They usually come before 10 am.... Its 5pm now.

(Also haven't consumed yet today!)

Muahaha got it! Haven't been this happy in awhile!

Last edited:
snamuh,
Reactions: jay87

darbarikanada

I can get a decent high now off my MFLB if I don't mind fiddly prep and technique. The whole purpose of dropping $300+ is to have the electronics do all the fiddly bits.

I think you're missing out. I don't own a FF2 - I'm following this thread because of early rave reviews - but I went from a MFLB to a mighty, which the 'vape critic' rated 1 pt. less than FF2, and haven't used the MFLB a single time since: all that shaking w/MFLB, the long learning curve (different strains vaped differently in my experience, things could combust if you overdid it) - it's a great product: stealthy, relatively inexpensive, lifetime guarantee, etc., but the mighty's a game-changer, and if the FF2's as good as the vape critic - and some of the 'early adopters' - think, it is too.

darbarikanada,
Reactions: stoneloc

jay87

I'm interested that I've read multiple people saying something like:

"The vapor is light sometimes but it gets me wayyy higher than I would have expected"

Is this thing so smooth you don't know how much vapor you're getting or what?

jay87,

theCerberus

In terms of visibility, you cant see the cloud as well as other vapes. it looks whispier most of the time. and most of us cloud chasers think the thicker clouds will get us higher, but these thin clouds seem to be doing the trick where all others have failed to get me this medicated.

i have definitly managed to get some nicer clouds today though. it just takes some practice getting it packed right.

Last edited:
theCerberus,
Reactions: jay87

Morimoto

Do you rock a ejuice vape? I'm curious as to why someone would try and cloud chase with marijuana vaporizers when you could easily vape 100% vg and blow super thick clouds with no fail. Just curious, not ripping on could chasing, I do it with my RDA every day, love thick clouds.

Morimoto,

stoneloc

I think you're missing out. I don't own a FF2 - I'm following this thread because of early rave reviews - but I went from a MFLB to a mighty, which the 'vape critic' rated 1 pt. less than FF2, and haven't used the MFLB a single time since: all that shaking w/MFLB, the long learning curve (different strains vaped differently in my experience, things could combust if you overdid it) - it's a great product: stealthy, relatively inexpensive, lifetime guarantee, etc., but the mighty's a game-changer, and if the FF2's as good as the vape critic - and some of the 'early adopters' - think, it is too.

I should clarify that I have a Crafty, Pax, SSV, and a handful of other cheap butane and whip vapes as well as a MFLB. I was looking at the FF2 strictly for on-demand, hence mentioning MFLB. Convection is nice, to be sure, but it's not my primary consideration for the money--ease of use was.

If I were buying my first vape or only had a Pax or whatever this would be a slam dunk. But since I already have convection and on-demand covered separately, convection+on-demand isn't that big of a deal for buying an additional vape.

jay87

I should clarify that I have a Crafty, Pax, SSV, and a handful of other cheap butane and whip vapes as well as a MFLB. I was looking at the FF2 strictly for on-demand, hence mentioning MFLB. Convection is nice, to be sure, but it's not my primary consideration for the money--ease of use was.

If I were buying my first vape or only had a Pax or whatever this would be a slam dunk. But since I already have convection and on-demand covered separately, convection+on-demand isn't that big of a deal for buying an additional vape.

The VAS is real. At first I thought it was a joke, a myth, 5 other vapes and a FF2 order later and I'm beginning to realize the truth.... :lol:

Sh4dy15

The draw resistance is less than the Solo but I have yet to produce clouds, yet I will admit I cannot make big clouds with the Solo either. The vapor quality is much better than the Solo and the FF2 seems to get me more stoned than the Solo does. The FF2 is a significant upgrade over the Solo.

Interesting....I get decent clouds with the Solo even on 3-4 setting. 5 and above are really thick. I think there may also be a little bit of a disparity with what some consider "clouds". I am in no way saying I get these ridiculous thick bellowing clouds i see from some non marijuana vapes.

What I am calling clouds is what ive seen on the VapeCritic review. Thats good enough for me. It seems crazy to expect any kind of absurd clouds from this thing.

jay87

Has anyone with a FF2 tried mixing dry herb and concentrates and seeing the results yet? Sounds like a winning combo to me :drool:

theCerberus

I had an aspire bdc tank and an itaste vv and messed around with e-juice for a bit. i get it, much nicer vapor comes out, but im not looking to inhale unregulated liquids (they are starting to regulate them here without flavour). if i wanted nicotine, it is a nice option though.

I get federally regulated Health Canada approved cannabis from the legal medical producers in Canada.

I used to smoke, and I want a similar style hit is all.

I like feeling medicated fast, because I am in a lot of pain and want relief ASAP.

The dab/concentrate pad does work for huge crazy clouds though.

Last edited:
theCerberus,

stoneloc

The dab/concentrate pad does work for huge crazy clouds though.

How's the ease of use for this? Past pre-melting the wax with cigar puffs does it still take any technique/hassle? How about cleanup?

I don't have a pen vape yet, and really liked wax when I tried in the Crafty. So maybe this would be more the niche for my lineup: concentrate vape that can do dry if needed.

I was thinking Omicron previously. Does the dab performance on this compare to a dedicated pen like that?

stoneloc,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom