The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

theCerberus

the constant hits heat up the bowl side of the unit and the small metal beads withing the sensors to very uncomfortable temperatures. Have you guys also come across these problems or do I have a slightly defective device?
Mines exactly the same. Very hot on the bowl end. Not very comfortable if I keep hitting it constantly, but I can handle it, its manageable, i dont feel like its burning me. I am also wondering if that is right, because the battery is next that and the wall it touches is also getting quite hot. the battery itself feels warm but not hot. but the contacts it touches and the wall they are on are hot though. this radiates warmth all the way to the edge of the mouthpiece.

very different from the firefly 1, where everything is thick and walled off.
the new lid is also missing the little metal rim in between the airpath and the rubber seal, so the rubber and whatever is used to glue it down is now more directly in the airpath and the magnet is also a lot weaker, so the rubber is doing more of the work to seal it.
it also makes it kinda difficult to clean the lid because I have to be careful not to wedge anything under the rubber and lift it up. the metal rim on the original lid prevents that.

Using flower in it is amazingly smooth, so smooth you'll think your not getting anything and then 15 sec later there's a billowing cloud coming out of your mouth. Using concentrates is crazy, the pad will soak up your wax and I usually get a solid 10+ hits from 1-2 "drops".

Very odd. Mine does not behave the same at all. I've never had a huge cloud come out of this thing when using flower. Nothing comparable to a desktop vape cloud. just whispy vapor. but it is very strong.
concentrates on the other hand only gave me 2 huge crazy clouds (comparable to dabbing with a rig/nail) after priming it with the cigar hits with a fairly healthy sized dab. Nothing near 10+ hits and the pad is completely dry at the end, with a bit of reclaim on the lid.

Did you use the concentrate heat setting along with the concentrate? Did you let it melt in with cigar puffs like the instructions say?

Last edited:
Very odd. Mine does not behave the same at all. I've never had a huge cloud come out of this thing when using flower. Nothing comparable to a desktop vape cloud. just whispy vapor. but it is very strong.
concentrates on the other hand only gave me 2 huge crazy clouds (comparable to dabbing with a rig/nail) after priming it with the cigar hits with a fairly healthy sized dab. Nothing near 10+ hits and the pad is completely dry at the end, with a bit of reclaim on the lid.

Did you use the concentrate heat setting along with the concentrate? Did you let it melt in with cigar puffs like the instructions say?

Oh yea, when I tried it for the first time with flower I either got nothing or whispy vapor. I don't know how familiar you are with your device yet, but I know that after I played around with it for a while and figured out what worked for me best I would consistently get pretty decent clouds.

Also with the concentrates I was seshing with one other guy. After letting the wax melt with the concentrate setting we just took 10-15 sec draws, no priming with cigar hits. Each of us pulled around 2 strong hits and 3 medium hits. It seemed like we put a pretty large amount of concentrates on the pad though, maybe I just overfilled it.

Modnote: Edited to fix quote tags and merged back to back posts

Last edited by a moderator:

Silveradio

Finally got my tracking number...had to call though no biggie. My blue vape will be here Sat. 4/30. Can't wait to put my head in the clouds and tell ya all about it. Like I've said before my only vape is the original DaVinci. I've really never seen a cloud with it, but flavor was always excellent just in the first few pulls though. Can anyone who has ever had a DaVinci give me an idea of differences. Stupid question I know but like my music I'm an old classic rocker vaper.

Silveradio,

Eyedunno

Finally got my tracking number...had to call though no biggie. My blue vape will be here Sat. 4/30. Can't wait to put my head in the clouds and tell ya all about it. Like I've said before my only vape is the original DaVinci. I've really never seen a cloud with it, but flavor was always excellent just in the first few pulls though. Can anyone who has ever had a DaVinci give me an idea of differences. Stupid question I know but like my music I'm an old classic rocker vaper.
I've never had a DaVinci, but this should be a big upgrade for you. Davinci seems to get lukewarm reviews, and this is one of the nicest non-butane portables out there.

Edit: Oh, but I would guess the Davinci works best with a fine grind, while this works best with a coarser, fluffier grind, so keep that in mind.

Eyedunno,

pushpaw

My blue FF2 arrived today, and I am quite pleased with it so far. I will post more detailed notes later, but so far so good. Loving the color and glad I waited.

Mine did have a bit of new device odor right out of the box. I am pretty sure it is from the inside of the lid, either the gasket or the glue that holds it down. It didn't bother me, really, and it is already dissipating. I am fairly certain it will gone entirely by morning, if it isn't already. Is definitely not anything that needs to 'burn off', and clearly had nothing to do with the heater/bowl area.

Seems to hit faster and bit stronger than my FF1 did. Will definitely be easier to clean. I've only put a couple different kinds of flowers in it so far, and haven't changed the temp profile at all, just left it at med-high for now, which seems fine. Definitely gets the job done... :tup:

toecutter

Hi Reggie,

As we both await the arrival of our gold Fireflys, I will share my best technique for optimal Firefly grindage. I use a grinder card, which I keep in a cardboard sleeve in my wallet. Grinder cards are perfect, in my opinion, because you have total control over the exact grind you achieve, plus, unlike a canister grinder, all of the material, including the trichomes, is right there on a piece of paper under your grinder card. Whether the material is kinda moist/crumbly, or super dry, you can achieve just the right grind for the Firefly. Remember, Firefly is a dynamic convection vaporizer, so maximizing the interface of the material exposed to the heated airflow is important. Not too fine. Not too coarse. Just right.

ps: I hung a single gram of Blue Dream nug high up in a tree outside my front door. Hopefully, my gold Firefly will zero in on it, and I can join them for a session. Mmmmm, entomology rules !

:myday:
I've never heard of a grinder card until today. Makes sense! How do you modulate the fineness of your grind and how do you handle the kief? I've been eyeballing a 4 piece grinder with a kief press, but I'm intrigued by the card.

toecutter,

vape4fun

Well here we go. most of what I will say has been covered. I love the aesthetics of this device and I love the effect. Tried it out a lot last night in group setting. Still working on the learning curve but as far the consensus is small whispy vapor but everyone ripped. A lot of I don't know if I got anything and five minutes later holy crap I'm
Blasted. Long slow seems to be way to go for sure but packing technique is still controversial among our little group.

Won't get into more detail than that because it's all been covered but I will end by saying I love holding this thing in my hand and vaping with it. It feels dignified in a weird way like drinking out of a beautiful beer mug or special expensive wine glass etc...

Last edited:

studmuffin

Hi toecutter,

Grinder cards are, quite simply, brilliant & simple. I got mine from V Syndicate in the Netherlands, and my total cost for it to find it's way into my wallet in America was $7.40, in dollars. They have many many styles to choose from. My particular card is from the limited edition "Alice in Grinderland" series of 9 cards which when assembled together display a cool collage of all of the characters from Alice in Wonderland. I have the card with a picture of the hookah-smoking caterpillar. The card is the same size as a credit card, and half of the aluminum card is the cheese grinderish portion. I always have it with me. Depending on how dry the nug is, you grate the nug on the card, yielding perfect fluffy material for the Firefly. And, unlike my now never used Sharpstone 4-piece grinder, everything, including the trichomes/kief, filters onto the piece of paper I am grinding onto. Yep, the grinder card meets all of my criteria: simplicity, efficacy, aesthetics, portability, and economy. Schwennnnngggggg !

studmuffin,
Reactions: toecutter

Morimoto

@vape4fun ah the standard "i'm not getting anything" I think that is more endemic of vaporizers themselves. I have never had group session without at least 1 person saying that >.> I'm happy to hear the unit is in your hands and working!

Morimoto,

Gandalf

I don't have mine yet, but judging from most of the recent reports, it seems like you can't really get big dense clouds with the Firefly 2 - more like thin, wispy, very flavorful vapor. Is that accurate?

I have to admit I'm kind of a cloud chaser and I was hoping the Firefly 2 would be able to produce some large clouds GH-style. Although it did seem like VapeCritic was getting some pretty impressive hits in his review video so maybe it really does just come down to technique.

snamuh

ghost
I don't have mine yet, but judging from most of the recent reports, it seems like you can't really get big dense clouds with the Firefly 2 - more like thin, wispy, very flavorful vapor. Is that accurate?

I have to admit I'm kind of a cloud chaser and I was hoping the Firefly 2 would be able to produce some large clouds GH-style. Although it did seem like VapeCritic was getting some pretty impressive hits in his review video so maybe it really does just come down to technique.
For my enano and air it took me at least a month if not two to get a technique right. I would keep thinking I had it down then a few days later I'd have thin hits again... But in the end it took awhile to get hang of it.

My ff2 is out for delivery!

vape4fun

I agree regarding the vape critics video. What will be helpful is anyone who has achieved full clouds with flowers please let us know these things.

1. Product wet dry or in the middle

2. Hand broken up in chunks or broken by hand fine, coarse grind or finer grind.

3. Packed loose, packed tight (like Pax pack) or somewhere in between.

4. Long slow draw quick sips or some other technique.

I feel like once we get several people using same system getting nice clouds it will help the rest of us. As always thanks community!

Last edited:
vape4fun,

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!

I'm getting more dense hits as my technique improves! I can't produce the clouds like I can with my hopper yet, but the vapor from the Fire Fly 2 is cooler and tastes better to me. I am used to having foolproof vapes, so this whole "technique" aspect is rather new to me :lol:. I have no complaints about the cloud size at the moment. The efficiency is amazing too! I find that a stir or two during each session is necessary though. It may be something that I am doing wrong, but I have found that the part of the bowl closer to my mouth/the mouthpiece seems to vape more than the other parts of the bowl. It's not drastic, but it's something I have noticed. As I said though, there are a lot of variables that could cause this (the angle I'm holding the unit when I draw, how I grind, how I load, how I draw, etc.) so please take this observation with a grain of salt.

I know I rant, but one quick closing point. My overall experience with this vape is awesome so far! If this is the best the unit can produce I would still be quite happy. But a large part of me thinks it could get even better with some practice. I just don't want people to think that it's so technique dependent that it's an instant pass.

Edit: As for technique, I have reverted back to a more fine grind with a lose, but rather full pack. I just can't help but feel that this is best for convection, but I'm by no means an expert in this area. My flower is on the dry side of the spectrum, but not overly so. I have experimented around with other techniques, but have forgotten the results. I'll try to be more cognizant of these things and share my results.

Edit 2: Okay I know I've been a bit back and forth on it, but I decided to stop being so stubborn and truly load a bowl of flowers that I broke up with my hands quickly (as opposed to breaking it up more or grinding it) and this does seem to be how this vape was meant to be hit. The airflow is increased by so much that I think it makes up for the difference in exposed surface area. Though that is just a minimally educated theory. But after vaping one more ground up bowl and then one that I just broke up quickly with my hands, the rougher grind wins. I'm still finding a quick stir desirable, but it's easier with the rough grind. I've just been rotating it quickly with my fingers :tup:.

Last edited:

toecutter

Hi toecutter,

Grinder cards are, quite simply, brilliant & simple. I got mine from V Syndicate in the Netherlands, and my total cost for it to find it's way into my wallet in America was $7.40, in dollars. They have many many styles to choose from. My particular card is from the limited edition "Alice in Grinderland" series of 9 cards which when assembled together display a cool collage of all of the characters from Alice in Wonderland. I have the card with a picture of the hookah-smoking caterpillar. The card is the same size as a credit card, and half of the aluminum card is the cheese grinderish portion. I always have it with me. Depending on how dry the nug is, you grate the nug on the card, yielding perfect fluffy material for the Firefly. And, unlike my now never used Sharpstone 4-piece grinder, everything, including the trichomes/kief, filters onto the piece of paper I am grinding onto. Yep, the grinder card meets all of my criteria: simplicity, efficacy, aesthetics, portability, and economy. Schwennnnngggggg !

Awesome! Thanks Studmuffin, I'm sold! Beats the hell out of paying $50+ for a fancy 4 piece.

toecutter,

studmuffin

Hi toecutter,

Foshizzle that ! There are grinder cards available that hang around your neck like a fancy pendant too. WooHoo ! ! After enjoying well over 4,000 bowls from my original silver Firefly, I know what works best regarding dryness of material and grind. Back in 1969, the word was "plastics". Today, the word is "interface": Know it. Achieve it. Vape it.

WORD.

studmuffin,

jazzbass

Got mine yesterday. I'll write a more complete review later. Within 2 bowls I adjusted draw and was getting big clouds. Kindof elusive, though. It's so smooth and cool that you aren't aware you're getting big clouds until you exhale. After a few hits---no bad smells or taste. Actually got higher using the FF2 than my trusty E-Nano. I also found that after a bit of experimenting that it is EXTEMELY consistant in the quality of hits. And for some reason I seemed to get very comfortably higher using the same amount as with the Nano.
The only thing to be careful of----it's so smooth that you have to be aware of how much you're taking in---it's easier to overdo and cough your brains out. Not from harshness---just too big of a hit. I was taking slow 10 second draws.

Very impressed and happy with my purchase.

FLMan420

So after more testing I would say that hand tearing my herb works better than using my 4 piece grinder. I have yet to make any thick vapor clouds, but the FF2 gives by far the best taste I have ever experienced from a vape while getting me stoned out of my mind. I would definitely say there is a learning technique, but the more I use the FF2 the better it gets. To anyone that is hesitant, I would say do not worry, the FF2 delivers as promised.

Side note, I was looking into the grinder card, but was wondering which grind surface is best for the FF2? The options I see are medium, coarse, chunky, and fine. Which one would work best with the FF2?

FLMan420,
Reactions: KeroZen

shaolinmilk

I'm kinda sad that there's a bit of technique involved and clouds will be wispy with flowers unless your technique is on point. I understand that this is a connoisseur device, however I can't help but think at this price point, it should be more "noob" friendly. All the vapes I get I always show to my friends and the number one thing I hate is teaching them how to use the device and them automatically declaring it shit if they get no vapor. We shall see!

elbypark

just got mine a few days ago. i just had a quick question. when i first got it, it would pulsate green for a few seconds and then it'll turn solid green. but now it just straight to green even if i haven't been using the device in a bit. is this happening to anyone else?

elbypark,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I'm kinda sad that there's a bit of technique involved and clouds will be wispy with flowers unless your technique is on point. I understand that this is a connoisseur device, however I can't help but think at this price point, it should be more "noob" friendly. All the vapes I get I always show to my friends and the number one thing I hate is teaching them how to use the device and them automatically declaring it shit if they get no vapor. We shall see!

It's not accurate to say you can't get thick clouds, or that it's dependent on technique. It isn't. It's entirely depenedent on density of packing....cram the bowl full, even with barely-ground bud, and you will get plenty of thick, cloudy vapor right away, and for much of the bowl.

just got mine a few days ago. i just had a quick question. when i first got it, it would pulsate green for a few seconds and then it'll turn solid green. but now it just straight to green even if i haven't been using the device in a bit. is this happening to anyone else?

Yes. This is as designed. The Ff2 retains target heat for longer. Unless you set the bowl down for like 20 minutes or longer, there's no heat-up time for your next hit.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: VapeKat

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
ah the standard "i'm not getting anything" I think that is more endemic of vaporizers themselves

That's what I used to think... until I got a Zion. But having tested the Crafty, I think it also falls in the foolproof category, and even more for the Mighty.

It's the first time that no matter what they do, my friends never complain it's wispy.

It's not accurate to say you can't get thick clouds, or that it's dependent on technique. It isn't. It's entirely depenedent on density of packing....cram the bowl full, even with barely-ground bud, and you will get plenty of thick, cloudy vapor right away, and for much of the bowl.

Well then that's true of all vaporizers on the market. Even the Ascent which is notoriously finicky and a PITA to get the right technique, when you fill the huge bowl completely you get indeed plenty of vapor regardless of technique. The problem then becomes that most of us never use that much material in a single session, it becomes wasteful and people start complaining that they use way too much...

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Well then that's true of all vaporizers on the market. Even the Ascent which is notoriously finicky and a PITA to get the right technique, when you fill the huge bowl completely you get indeed plenty of vapor regardless of technique. The problem then becomes that most of us never use that much material in a single session, it becomes wasteful and people start complaining that they use way too much...

The FF bowl only holds .12gs at most. Hardly wasteful or what any of us would consider a lot of material.

elbypark

Yes. This is as designed. The Ff2 retains target heat for longer. Unless you set the bowl down for like 20 minutes or longer, there's no heat-up time for your next hit.

thanks for the reply. so this morning, i wake up and i take a hit off of the ff2 and it doesnt blink green, just goes straight to solid green. does this make sense?

Modnote: Fixed quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:
elbypark,
Reactions: snamuh
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom