The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippogriff

VapeCritic's review of the Firefly 2 is up:

http://www.vapecritic.com/vaporizers/firefly-2/

Damnit I thought I could hold out but now after seeing this review I really want to get one.
After seeing the FF2 in someone's hands I definitely want one, hoping more reviews show it's a good social vape. But the use he describes - "small" loads being .1, works best w/ full .15 bowls, medium air resistance & best w/ slow draws, etc - is not what I want. I want fast, flavorful, efficient, and strong. It's occurring to me that VapeCritic was a big Pax fan for awhile and maybe he's coming at it wrong and treating a convection vape like a conduction vape?

I mean, w/ my other convection portables, I get great results just loosely filling the bowls 1/4 full, easily less than .05. But it LOOKS like so little, so I'll gradually fill bowls more and more, and once I get above 1/2 full bowls the loss in vapor & effects get's real noticeable - at first I assume it's tolerance, then I remember to keep it to a pinch and all's good.

So I want to know what happens w/ a FF2 when you just sprinkle enough to lightly cover the bottom of the bowl.

Erixk557

Yeah mitchgo61 Yesterday when I preordered it was showing for delivery with April and May listed. It's only showing May as of now.

ginolicious

VapeCritic's review of the Firefly 2 is up:

http://www.vapecritic.com/vaporizers/firefly-2/

Damnit I thought I could hold out but now after seeing this review I really want to get one.

Review looks good. Thanks for posting that. Turned me off though when he said they could have improved the draw resistance. Something I wish j saw in the Flowermate and something I hope to see in the Indica.

I'll rewatch this video when I get home from work. Maybe that'll change things.

ginolicious,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
After seeing the FF2 in someone's hands I definitely want one, hoping more reviews show it's a good social vape. But the use he describes - "small" loads being .1, works best w/ full .15 bowls, medium air resistance & best w/ slow draws, etc - is not what I want. I want fast, flavorful, efficient, and strong. It's occurring to me that VapeCritic was a big Pax fan for awhile and maybe he's coming at it wrong and treating a convection vape like a conduction vape?.

He knows the difference. I think when he gives the P2 a good review he's reviewing it in its context...ie a stealthy portable conduction vape. All of what you describe, the FF2 does. Fast, flavor, big hits. Whether that's "social" or not depends on your friends, I guess. I can hand the FF2 to my wife, and she can get hits from it, but she prefers conduction vapes because she likes what she perceives as "smokier" flavor.

The FF2 isn't a session vape, by design, so perhaps it's not the optimal "social" vape for some folks. But fast, flavorful, strong...yeah, ticks all those boxes.

So I want to know what happens w/ a FF2 when you just sprinkle enough to lightly cover the bottom of the bowl.

I personally do not find it particularly effective for really small amounts. I get the best results by really packing a dense bowl, realizing, of course, that that requires stirring every few hits. But I can get a good .20-ish grams in the bowl, for a total of 30 or so hits, 20 of which are quite large. That should do nicely in a small circle of friends. (My friends anyway...lightweights! :lol:)

Yeah mitchgo61 Yesterday when I preordered it was showing for delivery with April and May listed. It's only showing May as of now.

Interesting, I never saw the word "April" when I hit the site, just "May". Kinda assumed the first units would be out in May sometime. Guess we'll see! :nod:

Review looks good. Thanks for posting that. Turned me off though when he said they could have improved the draw resistance. Something I wish j saw in the Flowermate and something I hope to see in the Indica.

Again just my personal slant on this, but I don't mind the draw resistance. Yes, it's not an airy draw like the Mighty, but the resistance is not unpleasant at all, and seems to help generate very rich, thick hits, even on the lower temps.

Last edited:

amethystwolf

$330 and only a 2-year warranty? I don't know if I can do it. Are they giving any love to FC members?

amethystwolf,
Reactions: steama

rushncrush

Well I ordered one hopefully this thing doesnt shit the bed like the crafty.. I'll be pissed if a 330 unit doesnt last me at least 3 years ( being well taken care of and cleaned )

rushncrush,

mixchu69

Vape critic rated it higher than the crafty/mighty and he is a S&B fanboy (I am too). That's high praise. But I like the look of the look of the original (looked real slick and aesthetically worth the higher price tag), just wished they copied the design of the original in a more compact look.

mitchgo61

Vape critic rated it higher than the crafty/mighty and he is a S&B fanboy (I am too). That's high praise. But I like the look of the look of the original (looked real slick and aesthetically worth the higher price tag), just wished they copied the design of the original in a more compact look.

They couldn't do that, not quite. In order to keep the rounded, (yes, sexy!) lines of the FF1 the FF2 has to be bigger. They couldn't make it materially more compact without making the edges slightly more square...the rounding eats into effective space in the unit. This was a major challenge for the designers. I think they ended up with a nice compromise between the asthetics of the 1 and a smaller unit. (But yes, the 1 will always have a thing asthetically that can't be matched.)

Well I ordered one hopefully this thing doesnt shit the bed like the crafty.. I'll be pissed if a 330 unit doesnt last me at least 3 years ( being well taken care of and cleaned )

You have a 2 year warranty so it gets you 66.66% of the way there. :p Just based on my prototype use and what I know of the redesigned coil, I suspect this model is way more stable and reliable than the 1. Only time will really tell.

Last edited:

snamuh

ghost
After seeing the FF2 in someone's hands I definitely want one, hoping more reviews show it's a good social vape. But the use he describes - "small" loads being .1, works best w/ full .15 bowls, medium air resistance & best w/ slow draws, etc - is not what I want. I want fast, flavorful, efficient, and strong. It's occurring to me that VapeCritic was a big Pax fan for awhile and maybe he's coming at it wrong and treating a convection vape like a conduction vape?

I mean, w/ my other convection portables, I get great results just loosely filling the bowls 1/4 full, easily less than .05. But it LOOKS like so little, so I'll gradually fill bowls more and more, and once I get above 1/2 full bowls the loss in vapor & effects get's real noticeable - at first I assume it's tolerance, then I remember to keep it to a pinch and all's good.

@mitchgo61

I was thinking about low doses and micro doses... Mitch, do you think micro doses of flower would work if the wax pad was used as filler for the bowl? ... Flower with the wax pad above it...

mitchgo61

@mitchgo61

I was thinking about low doses and micro doses... Mitch, do you think micro doses of flower would work if the wax pad was used as filler for the bowl? ... Flower with the wax pad above it...

It would certainly have a better shot at working, given the mass it adds. I have some pads...I will give it a try and see how well it works with small loads plus the pad.

studmuffin

Hi Toecutter,
I can attest to the fact that his avatar actually is a picture of Reggie Watts. I have been part of his audience several times.

:myday:

studmuffin,
Reactions: nosmoking

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I am in the UK. Ordered a FF2.

The Firefly website let me select the UK as a country to ship too, gave me a price for international shipping and let me pay. United kingdom was an available option in a drop down for shipping country. The website seems setup for international orders.

Got no email reciept from FF so emailed them. Now being told they don't ship to the UK and it's against there shipping policy.

They are going to refund me in 3-10 days.

Think there is some confusion over at FF and frankly I am not a happy bunny. There site does not reflect there shipping policy!

mitchgo61

This is a nice review/article. Probably just the beginning of the press onslaught.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/03/...rtable-vaporizer-flower-vape-hash-oils/49229/

It would certainly have a better shot at working, given the mass it adds. I have some pads...I will give it a try and see how well it works with small loads plus the pad.

OK I tried this....put a pad in the bottom of the bowl and put about .05 g's on top, slightly tamped down.

Overall results were still, for me, pretty blah. I got nothing at Med-High so moved up to High. There I got several very nice hits (so partial success for sure) but vapor tapered quickly to nothing. The ABV was not that dark, and I was able to extract another two large hits in the E Nano. So....if you're looking to get a few good hits, this would work for you. You get better extraction and richer hits with a bigger mass of material, so for me it's not worth the micro-approach....it doesn't seem to unlock the true wonder of FF vapor the way a bigger bowl does. YMMV.

Last edited:

CarbonFiberGuy

Mitchgo61 , try the pad on top of the small load like the crafty or mighty , this should work better , at least it did on the FF1,

Also not sure if this has been mentioned,but does the first hit act as a primer for the heat like the FF 1? So you're not actually getting a huge cloud till the second hit, or are you able to pull off a nice hit right away from the first pull ?

ade848

I am in the UK. Ordered a FF2.

The Firefly website let me select the UK as a country to ship too, gave me a price for international shipping and let me pay. United kingdom was an available option in a drop down for shipping country. The website seems setup for international orders.

Got no email reciept from FF so emailed them. Now being told they don't ship to the UK and it's against there shipping policy.

They are going to refund me in 3-10 days.

Think there is some confusion over at FF and frankly I am not a happy bunny. There site does not reflect there shipping policy!
Interesting...was going to pre-order for the UK but thought I'd wait for UK suppliers to get launch stock as would be easier to deal with any problems down the line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom