The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenextinguisher

Unfortunately this thread with all it's helpful info was not this advanced when many people including myself preordered one. All we could go on was what the manufacturer said with their video and such and what little reviews that where available from the net. Ones that raved about this product. Like Engadget:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/03/01/firefly-2-vaporizer/
Or the Vapecritics video.
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
- G. I. Joe

No issues with the way you conducted yourself. You took a gamble on a new device and it didn't work for you, so you made the best of it and we all benefited. I'm sorry that the FF2 couldn't be more for you.

greenextinguisher,
Reactions: Elac

Mikipo

:shrug::shrug:
I don't think anyone here has represented the FF2 as a replacement for a Mighty and a Volcano. They are two of the most powerful vapes that anyone can operate without thinking. The regular mentions of stirring and taking the lid off should be a strong enough signal to anyone that doesn't have the patience for it. Four sessions in a row on a direct draw convection vape is probably going to dry the shit out of your throat, yes.

The FF2 is a top tier device for many types of use and if you spend a little time reading this thread before you purchase, you'll understand what you are getting into and what you need to do to get the best out of it. I don't have much trouble getting a Mighty-sized cloud or two out of each bowl after a little practice, but its not a great substitute for many Mighty sessions. Four Mighty sessions back-to-back would have people calling me whitey bulger. ha!

Sounds like you should try concentrates @Mikipo, if you want the FF2 to keep up with your tolerance. Otherwise, the FF2 should be on reup, one-hitter or flavor savoring duty where it belongs in your lineup. Otherwise, you may want to mosey on over to the Milaana thread.

Not looking for a quarell, but what are those many type of use? I mean, are there more ways to pull from it? Standing in one leg, with the hand behind your back, pull trough nose? :shrug:I'm using for 20y now...think I got it all by now )

After 6 mo of using Mighty and a few sessions with the ff2 I cannot understand why would anybody reccomend this product.. never did concentrates but I am 100% sure it sucks there too. Simply the air is too hot... It's a small, low battery, hot, uneven burn volcano. I don't see how anyone can use this piece of shit. I mean if you're a noob it will drive you away instantly bcs no effect. If you're a heavy user you feel like smashing it to a wall.

I'm not working for any company, I am just so pissed that I ate their marketing hype. I spent 360 Eur on it and it is unusable in any way. I wrote vaposhop and hope to return it. :rant::rant::rant:

mod note: No, the staff didn't miss this rules violation, but his warning has already been issued for today.

Mikipo,
Reactions: Icon13

greenextinguisher

Not looking for a quarell, but what are those many type of use? I mean, are there more ways to pull from it? Standing in one leg, with the hand behind your back, pull trough nose? :shrug:I'm using for 20y now...think I got it all by now )

After 6 mo of using Mighty and a few sessions with the ff2 I cannot understand why would anybody reccomend this product.. never did concentrates but I am 100% sure it sucks there too. Simply the air is too hot... It's a small, low battery, hot, uneven burn volcano. I don't see how anyone can use this piece of shit. I mean if you're a noob it will drive you away instantly bcs no effect. If you're a heavy user you feel like smashing it to a wall.

I'm not working for any company, I am just so pisses that I ate their marketing hype. I spent 360 Eur on it and it is unusable in any way. I wrote vaposhop and hope to return it. :rant::rant::rant:

I get that you are frustrated. We are not here to try and dupe anyone into buying a device that doesn't work for them.

I wouldn't say there are all that many ways to use the FF2, but it does fill a particular role or a particular type of users.

I can see how after heavy use of the Volcano and Mighty and loving and expecting that specific type of experience, that you wouldn't be thrilled with what you are getting out of the FF2. I used a Volcano for 8 years before buying the FF2 and I also have a Crafty.

For me the FF2 is a nice little quick hitter for an afternoon. Its great for savoring and being methodical for a bowl. If I want to veg out on the couch and just let the vape do the work, I know that what I'm really looking for is the crafty or volcano. If that's all you want to do and are just looking for something more portable, maybe you want a Crafty or wait for the upcoming Haze square.

greenextinguisher,

Mikipo

Nope, was simply looking for a better taste and a cool vapor. That mf vapecritic and his s..t videos got me. Cool vapor my ass. Will get back with my return experience.

Btw, I have 0 quarell with you. It's good that there's a place where everyone can speak their mind. I am sure it's not easy to keep up with. Thanks guys!

mod note: You can certainly speak your mind, within the rules. It seems you agreed to abide by them without actually reading them all.

Mikipo,

kcmochris

After 6 mo of using Mighty and a few sessions with the ff2 I cannot understand why would anybody reccomend this product.. never did concentrates but I am 100% sure it sucks there too.

This thing comes highly recommended for concentrates. Like, ridiculously high. In fact, some folks here are only using the FF2 for concentrates...

I don't see how anyone can use this piece of shit.

Some of us, right here in this forum, are successfully using it.

Wish you the best of luck with the return as you're clearly unsatisfied with the product. And thanks for speaking your mind as when people are researching new vapes, a lot of them end up here (FC forums). I gotta say, speaking my own mind too, I have had success with flowers. I come from smoking so obviously my mind and eyes expected the clouds instantly. I watched the same marketing & review videos before buying. Once I got my technique down pat, I haven't picked up a lighter in two months. I do blow great big hits where my lungs are at capacity and I have a great exhale of blue vapor. I am feeling sufficiently medicated. And for me, I am having some of the tastiest hits of my herb that I've ever had. Really going deep into the flavor profile. And yup, the vapor is cool. I cannot agree that the vapor is not cool and tasty.

Majordude2626

So I'm on road trip with fam and ff2 and haze v3. FF2 was perfect for hotel, in conjunction with a smoke buddy it was the right combination. Really shines like greenextinguisher said as a quick two hitter. I just found it really stealthy in keeping smells to a minimum and fam outta my bizness, and when I did not wanna disappear for 15 -30 mins and have to explain myself. I usually try to a take a couple of puffs and stir, so next time its ready to go. I get huge rips from ff2, you know that coughing, watery red eye, you over did feeling. Really perfect for being able to really control your level of medication. Flavor as said outta of this world.

BabaRobDass

I'm not working for any company, I am just so pissed that I ate their marketing hype. I spent 360 Eur on it and it is unusable in any way. I wrote vaposhop and hope to return it. :rant::rant::rant:

Uh oh, dude. Prepare to get dinged again by moderator. Geez.

Uh, maybe you should also add "tolerance break" to your vocabulary.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
It sounds to me like we may have some defective units, and I'm pretty sure we have technique issues, because mine has worked wonderfully with flower and concentrates from the beginning. The one time I felt like performance was dropping I gave it a good cleaning and back in business.

Flavor, vapor and effects are all there for me. :shrug:

BabaRobDass

Yes, it is a desktop. No, I never expected the FF2 to keep pace with it, but I did expect the FF2 to be exponentially better than it was. I would rather use my combusting Magic Box, lol. Combustion, meh. Over it. One session on my Daswonator and you'll be saying, "More Kool-Aid, please.”

:lol: So the FF2 just doesn't get you medicated enough I guess.
It does me, can't imagine be MORE medicated- and again the cloud talk matters not to me at all. I go strictly by the effects that are delivered. And the Fly delivers that in spades.

BabaRobDass,
Reactions: sag

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
It sounds to me like we may have some defective units, and I'm pretty sure we have technique issues, because mine has worked wonderfully with flower and concentrates from the beginning. The one time I felt like performance was dropping I gave it a good cleaning and back in business.

Flavor, vapor and effects are all there for me. :shrug:

There is definitely a difference between "bad units" and "bad vaporizer". My FF2 works splendidly. If I pack it tight I get untold thick rich hits, especially on high.

Sucks that some folks got defective units...I know full well that it happens. Anyone extrapolating their bad unit to the full universe of properly-functioning FFs is proposing a very inaccurate view of reality. Pulling one red marble out of a jar does not mean they are all red. :2c:

Atanyrhate

I am going to have to disagree about the FF2 not being adequate for a heavy user. I'm recovering from a painful surgery and spent all day Friday staying medicated with the FF2, and not only did my throat not hurt, but I was getting great clouds the whole time using med and stepping to med high to finish the bowls.

(I do find that high can get a little harsh on the throat after extended periods of use though, so I will concede that point)

In fact, when I had to evacuate my house because of the flooding, I left my desktop vape behind and just brought the FF2 rig. The house and my car are a total loss, but I still have my FF2 ...and my kids and cats.

So there, I guess if I had to only pick one vape in a crunch it would be the FF2.

Though I did lose the charging cradle. I never used it anyway and decided not to grab it.

NoCo970

I will say it. This vape isn't for;
  • the person who wants to "just get high"(yes, we all want to get high, but as a medical patient I NEED more than to "just get high")
  • Someone who is looking to just get plastered out and not function. (This vape, as stated, brings smoking back to a SOCIAL level not a drunk clubbing level so in its own way, like a glass of luscious red wine, its classy, elegant, and sophisticated.)
  • CLOUD CHASERS, This device is made to get the MOST out of your buds not deliver multiple clouds and char your herbs. Let me ask you, what benefits are you truly getting from huge smoke clouds? Your lungs will only absorb so much of those cannabinoids in your lungs...all that smoke you just blew out cloud chasing...just a big waste of good cannabinoids that instead of being inhaled in 5 big clouds, couldve lasted much longer and been much more effective. Scientific studies show holding a hit in longer than 7-8 seconds is actually pointless and can cause more harm than good!
This actually gets me back on to how much I absolutely love this device. I started out doing sessions, but have found you can literally session for 30+ min on a good bowl of herbs. Down to the point....I have changed how I have been using it and instead smoke until I feel good, turn it over, come back to it when I feel like I need more, and just continue that process. I'm able to medicate more effectively and use less which saves me money. I dont know what more I could ask for.

MinnBobber

I dont know what more I could ask for.
thanks for your perspective.

?? Many report you need to stir after every 2 or 3 hits?
Do you find this to be needed?
Any way around it like, half bowl and loose pack or ???

Thanks
Wanting a FF2 bigtime BUT not sure it's for me/ my technique???

MinnBobber,

Atanyrhate

Does anyone else find that after a few hits when the flowers are good and hot and you think it's done that you can let it cool down in the bowl and get another hit or two out of it?

I think there might be something to spacing out the hits more to get the full effect of the bowl. Perhaps.

Atanyrhate,
Reactions: blue80217

NoCo970

thanks for your perspective.

?? Many report you need to stir after every 2 or 3 hits?
Do you find this to be needed?
Any way around it like, half bowl and loose pack or ???

Thanks
Wanting a FF2 bigtime BUT not sure it's for me/ my technique???

I can keep vaping on an un-stirred bowl until its brown, dump it and be done, but noticed this vaporizer keeps more of the oils contained around the herbs instead of down the chamber and tubing like most vaporizers do, so instead of more reclaim to clean you can flip the buds and just keep juicing all the oils that keep forming on the topside hence the desire to constantly stir and get those goodies. I hope this answers your question.

tylerj55

I have not had much luck with it. When I use it for concentrates it takes forever to melt into the pad and half the time the light turns red signaling it is too hot right after it melts in. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if my unit is defective. At this point but it has really turned me off of it. Any tips or tricks? I want to love this like I love my grasshopper...

Mod note: post edited to remove portion that is against forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:
tylerj55,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I am currently looking into selling my FF2 as I have not had much luck with it. When I use it for concentrates it takes forever to melt into the pad and half the time the light turns red signaling it is too hot right after it melts in. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if my unit is defective. At this point but it has really turned me off of it. Any tips or tricks? I want to love this like I love my grasshopper...
What's your current technique?

stickstones,

tylerj55

What's your current technique?

I have tried everything from the cigar style puffs recommended, low draw speed, medium and high draw speeds. Flowers I can get decently ripped off of but the unit does get pretty hot after like 2 hits.

tylerj55,
I'm gonna start doing some things wrong to see if I can replicate some of these problems. I think hot units with good air flow and little vapor might be related to too strong of a draw...we'll see.

After watching the vaporcritic full review I now try a really strong draw if I want to extract more out of
the material. Generally during one complete draw I start off with a medium pull but then do a few
strong pulls during it if I am not feeling the heat. It seems to do what the vaporcritic said it does.

MonsterWithoutBorders,

sag

Well, I guess it's time to add my 2 cents worth...I'm 68 and have been an enthusiastic consumer of cannabis for 50 years. I have been using vapes for the past 10 years off and on. I have owned the ff2 for about a month now and feel I have gotten to know the devise. Thanks to this and other forums, I did way to much research on this vape. When I received it, I charged it up and vaped my first bowl without a problem. This vape has turned out as advertised and it is what I was looking for. For me, I have found that the medium high temp set is a good spot with a nice long slow pull. The first hit is a very nice introduction to the turpines of your load with nice taste complexities. The second hit is a good lung expander with a nice cloud. I then stir and repeat, with the third hit a biggy and the fourth just a clean up. I then stir once more and get one last nice hit. It is like this at every session. The heater end gets kind of hot at the end on the session.
I can't believe how fast this thing gets dirty. You can see the vape path and all the crumbs that are heading toward the mouth piece. Keep it clean. I have goofed around with it a bit and have noticed that if you don't make a perfect seal, it won't work. Even a little bit will make a huge difference. I have started to give it a pull before heating just to check. It does have a draw resistance if it is ready to go.
It's great for me sitting around getting high. There is one thing that concerns me. The seal is essential for proper vaping. I hope it will not become the weak spot in this vape. If you had to buy a new lid a few times a year the shine would come off quickly. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Cheers

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
I'm curious to what peoples daily consumption was when smoking compared to now vaping.
I have one out of four friends who has a Firefly2 and is completely satisfied. Her daily consumption was around 1 gram. The rest of us smoked much more. I smoked 3-5 x .8gram joints a day with 3-10 .2 gram bowls mixed in. The higher of the amounts on days off from work. All top quality domestic since the mid 90's. With hash, keif and oil in the mix. With that said I can get 'fully medicated' with a few 10th's of flower. Just not using a Firefly2, I have tried 5 different units. I have also tried other types of vaporizers, commercial and diy that held small amounts just not as small as the Firefly2, been both satisfied and not. I'm not sure if maybe at least for me and 3 of my vaping friends the small amount of .15 just can't deliver high enough doses(with flower) of the medicine per draw, quick enough to reach the level of being medicated thats wanted in a short enough time frame. I expect to start feeling medicated within a few minutes of vaping maybe 3 draws.
So now I use a different vaporizer and consume 1.5 - 2.5 grams a day.
It would be nice to know what satisfied and unsatisfied users push through their units a day, better if compared to what they used to smoke. So people with similar habits have a better understanding.
Also how long does it take you for a session. 2min? Drag until it's dead? 30min? Sipping it like cold ice tea? What point in the session do you start feeling medicated?

Elac,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom