The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxdab23

It's a real thing.

I think it's a physiological thing where as humans when we become accustomed to anything the effect it has on us is lessened. Then when you take a break from something for awhile and come back to it the effect seems new to you again.

It's similar to how many MJ users enjoy rotating through different strains for different kinds of effects when one effect starts to seem stale.

You love your favorite song, if you listened to your favorite song 100 times in a row you'd start to dislike it because the effect of the song isn't as appealing. If you stop listening to your favorite song and find a new song to listen to for awhile, when you finally hear your favorite song again you'll love it again just like you used to because the effect of the song appeals to you again.

You can try it yourself if you have multiple devices :)

I like that analogy. Good one.

waxdab23,
Reactions: jay87

Atanyrhate

Yeah, the song comparison is sound. Boom. ..sorry. :doh:

I agree that it would have to simply be psychological. Developing tolerance to a strain is physiological, so it's a little different. As a mechanism for delivery of meds, a device shouldn't change per use (excepting normal wear and tear) so developing a tolerance to a device shouldn't be physically possible. It's like saying that after your the 100th time listening to your favorite song that day, your ears stopped being able to hear it as well.

It makes sense on a psychological level, because our brains can trick us into all sorts of things. It's all very fascinating to me.

Sorry about bringing it up here.. I haven't really checked out much of the rest of the threads on this forum yet. :ninja:

Atanyrhate,
All regulated lithium-ion batteries have built in over charging protection and should cut off after a full charge. However in many batteries this does not work perfectly therefore my recommendation is to remove it after it is completely charged. Leaving it on charger gives no advantage from a battery point of view. Running the battery to complete discharge is NOT best lithium-ion practice. I usually do three bowls charge the battery up fully and then switch batteries. The firefly recommendations are simple but not the best for battery preservation. Your concerns are way valid.
Thanks for the info - I agree, if you ever see a solid blue light, take it off the charger.
It can't hurt, and might help.

Page 14, "Tips & Tricks" section of your Firefly2 owners manual;

BATTERY LIFE
• Keep Firefly2 on charging dock to ensure a charged battery.

States what the Firefly rep told you. This would be my recommendation.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
shamethedevil,

Atanyrhate

The batteries are the same from the FF1, so it will work.

In fact, when I ordered my FF2 a couple months ago, I ordered the FF1 external charger and have been using it instead of the dock from the beginning. Back when I bought my charger, it didn't come with the cord for the plug and that was super annoying. Fortunately I had something from another device that worked for me. I'm glad they are starting to include them with the chargers now.

Atanyrhate,
Reactions: Kermitt

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I'm interested in a external charger for the FF2. https://www.thefirefly.com/firefly-external-charging-kit-includes-charger-adapter-and-battery.html The charger isn't available. But in some shops you still can get a charger for the firefly original. Is there any different between the external charger of the FF2 and the original?

Works fine. It's my exclusive approach to charging FF2 batteries. However...it only works with the FF1 AC adaptor, which doesn't come with the FF1 external charger. So you'll need to procure one of those as well.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: Kermitt

malsanti

Well I'm definitely getting vapor now. Yea, bud has to be dry, and quite a coarse and packed bowl. Certainly getting me very stoned too.
Seems to be what I get though, just one decent draw, although I might be too hot at concentrates, but thats just what it seems like is needed for clouds.

It does require one to draw for a decent bit. Seems like it requires more work than the Flowermate in terms of drawing. It did get me stoned of quite a small bit, so it aint bad, in my book. Maybe need to stir for more draws.

It's also sweet to hold and look at, definitely gets points for that.

Kinda feel like getting a second portable though, alpha, grasshopper or crafty. Can someone recommend one of those?

Oh and the inside of my lids and device are dirty of bud sticking to adhesive elements still on the device. Does this need to be dealt with?

Last edited:

kcmochris

Oh and the inside of my lids and device are dirty of bud sticking to adhesive elements still on the device. Does this need to be dealt with?

Yes. I'm OCD with the wiping, but as you use the FF the "adhesive elements" accumulating is resin. The longer you leave that building up along the vapor path -- within reason -- the more tiny specs of bud will cling to it. When it builds up enough it can effect the airflow of your vapor path. Keep it clean. If you don't cleaning every session or so, then gently use an ISO wipe/alcohol swab or paper towel.

Last edited:

Atanyrhate

Agreed. I clean mine daily. It makes a big difference in the way that it tastes and hits. And it's SOOOO easy.

Malsanti, I would recommend stepping the temp down to high so you don't combust your material, and then stir after every couple long draws. There is definitely a break in period for this device (in my experience anyway) and you will begin getting better clouds as you use it more.

But yeah, for better or worse, stirring makes a huge difference. I look forward to that third hit off of a fresh bowl because I always stir after the second (which is a good hit too) and that third hit is a BEAST.

jdent3

But yeah, for better or worse, stirring makes a huge difference. I look forward to that third hit off of a fresh bowl because I always stir after the second (which is a good hit too) and that third hit is a BEAST.

I also find the third hit is the biggest. My biggest hits are always after stirring.

jdent3,

jay87

When using the FF2 the vapor production seems to exactly mimic the smoke production you get when using a bowl (omg smoking I know :mental:)

You first light the corner of the bowl so you get a small amount of smoke the first hit.
Then as the cherry grows you get bigger and bigger rips.
Finally you get less and less smoke as the bowl burns out and becomes cashed.

With the FF2 it's the same but instead of fire you're using convection via a jet of hot air as your heat source. This is why a long consistent draw is needed to keep the material in the FF2 hot.

My first FF2 draw is light and is a warm-up draw. Then I get bigger and bigger rips as the whole load is heated to temperature. Finally as the material becomes more and more vaped the clouds taper off.

So if you want more clouds you should plan for the bigger clouds to come during the "middle" of the set of draws not right at the beginning or end.

Happy vaping! :sherlock:

jay87,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
With the FF2 it's the same but instead of fire you're using convection via a jet of hot air as your heat source. This is why a long consistent draw is needed to keep the material in the FF2 hot.

Yeah this is pretty typical of convection behavior, especially when the device starts the cycle from a low temperature. It takes a hit or so to kind of "prime" the weed and warm it up and that second hit can often be much larger. (If you can hit the cold weed with a very high temp hit of air at once, like say the Nano on 9 or something, you can get a big first hit...but even on High the FF doesn't work like that.)

People often ghettoize conduction as an inferior method to generate vapor, but it has its advantages, and one of the things that seems to throw first-time FF users is the expectation of a more automated, conduction-ish experience. Convection can be a little tricky. :2c:

CroZure

I have been using the firefly 2 since the beginning of June. It is a solid vaporizer as long as you use it the right way. Although you can break a up a bowl pack into multiple sessions, I found that it is best to finish a full bowl pack in one session. The reason is because this device works best when it is squeaky clean.

I get 8 solid clouds and great flavors with flowers on the medium setting with each session but I clean it after each session. A dental tool, isopropyl alcohol, and a paper towel is all you need to clean it. Clean the bowl part with alcohol and use a dental tool to clean around the bottom edges of the bowl. Also, clean the lid, chamber, and mouth piece. Just a quick swipe of the paper towel is all you need. I removed the screen but if you keep it in, you need to clean it after each use. This is important to remember. All parts need to be clean in order to get the best vapor.

It is also best to break the bud up with your fingers or sharp scissors. Stay away from using a grinder and pack it full. Stir after every other hit, this is where the dental tool comes in handy again. The first and second hits will taste amazing and get a decent vapor. Stir after this hit and gently pack it down. The third and fourth hits will light you up. Stir again and pack it down a little bit tighter. The fifth and sixth hits taste decent but start to decline in quality. Stir again and pack it down tighter this time. You'll still get two more hits with visible vapor.

I keep mine on the charger at all times and have never had the battery run out. Out of all things, I'm not worried about it if this isn't optimal for my battery life. I can always buy a new battery if it is an issue.

Couple of things I want to point out. The clip on the left side of the mouth piece on my firefly 2 broke off after a week of use. I emailed them to see if I could get a replacement and they said that they were out of stock. Looks like they have been out of stock for a while now. For a vaporizer at this price, I would like to have access to necessary accessories if one fails, breaks, or gets misplaced. Also, twice the vaporizer wouldn't turn on when I knew the battery was charged because it was sitting on the charger with a solid blue light. I had to switch in the secondary battery to turn it on. Once it came one, I was able to use the original battery without a problem. Almost seems glictchy. Both of these are not big issues and the quality of the vapor is makes this my favorite portable vaporizer. I have a Mighty, Volcano, Haze, and Firefly 2 so that is all I can compare it to.

CroZure,
Reactions: STaX420

fogbank

I've had my black FF2 since late April. To me it is a moderate improvement over the FF1. I can get a satisfying amount of vapor from it more consistently than I can with my FF1s, but it still requires attention to technique and STIRRING...lots of STIRRING.

The one thing I seem to need to do every time is to extend the heating cycle by re-activating the coil after it shuts off during my draw. Mine seems to shut off after about 20 seconds. At that point I'm just starting to feel the vapor. I re-activate the heater for about 5-7 seconds and then it really starts producing. My preferred usage pattern is to take a single (largish) hit and then put it away, so getting that one big hit by re-activating the heater and stirring after each hit seems to do the trick.

I would love it if they gave us control over the length of the heating cycle through the app. I would increase it by about 10 seconds if I could.

fogbank,

pushpaw

I have been using the firefly 2 since the beginning of June. It is a solid vaporizer as long as you use it the right way. Although you can break a up a bowl pack into multiple sessions, I found that it is best to finish a full bowl pack in one session. The reason is because this device works best when it is squeaky clean.
I disagree. I find that it works fine to take a hit here and there, and that it still tastes great regardless. One of the key advantages of the FF2 is the on-demand nature of it. Also, all vaporizers tend to work best when clean, but the FF2 can get quite sticky and messy inside before I notice it working any less well.

I get 8 solid clouds and great flavors with flowers on the medium setting with each session but I clean it after each session. A dental tool, isopropyl alcohol, and a paper towel is all you need to clean it. Clean the bowl part with alcohol and use a dental tool to clean around the bottom edges of the bowl. Also, clean the lid, chamber, and mouth piece. Just a quick swipe of the paper towel is all you need. I removed the screen but if you keep it in, you need to clean it after each use. This is important to remember. All parts need to be clean in order to get the best vapor.
Cleaning after every session is completely unnecessary. I probably only clean mine out once every week or so. It is easy clean, but in my opinion there is no reason at all to clean as often or as thoroughly as you are claiming. In addition I just blow through the mouthpiece with the lid off (and the mouthpiece still attached) to clear out anything that has collected on the screen. I have had mine since the first shipments went out (I was a day one preorder) and have taken the mouthpiece off twice in all of that time, and neither time did it actually need cleaning.

It is also best to break the bud up with your fingers or sharp scissors. Stay away from using a grinder and pack it full. Stir after every other hit, this is where the dental tool comes in handy again. The first and second hits will taste amazing and get a decent vapor. Stir after this hit and gently pack it down. The third and fourth hits will light you up. Stir again and pack it down a little bit tighter. The fifth and sixth hits taste decent but start to decline in quality. Stir again and pack it down tighter this time. You'll still get two more hits with visible vapor.
Again I have to disagree, but there are lots of ways to approach this and different people have different approaches that work for them. I always use a grinder (Santa Cruz Shredder, nice medium grind). I always fill the bowl to just full and lightly tamp it down. Stir after 3 or 4 hits. Take another 3 or 4 hits easy. I only stir once per bowl. Works fine. Taste diminishes near the end, but that is a good 6 to 8 hits in so exactly what I expect. I am not the type to go for super extreme extraction as I re-use ABV later for edibles or whatever takes my fancy.

I keep mine on the charger at all times and have never had the battery run out. Out of all things, I'm not worried about it if this isn't optimal for my battery life. I can always buy a new battery if it is an issue.

Couple of things I want to point out. The clip on the left side of the mouth piece on my firefly 2 broke off after a week of use. I emailed them to see if I could get a replacement and they said that they were out of stock. Looks like they have been out of stock for a while now. For a vaporizer at this price, I would like to have access to necessary accessories if one fails, breaks, or gets misplaced. Also, twice the vaporizer wouldn't turn on when I knew the battery was charged because it was sitting on the charger with a solid blue light. I had to switch in the secondary battery to turn it on. Once it came one, I was able to use the original battery without a problem. Almost seems glictchy. Both of these are not big issues and the quality of the vapor is makes this my favorite portable vaporizer. I have a Mighty, Volcano, Haze, and Firefly 2 so that is all I can compare it to.

You know, your mouthpiece may have gotten broken because you are perhaps a little over obsessive with the cleanings. In my experience there is almost no need to remove the mouthpiece at all, let alone frequently. I have never had the not turning on thing happen, but I always charge my batteries in the external charger I had for my FF1, so maybe something to do with leaving it on the charger all the time.

I am not meaning to be overly critical of how you do things, but you wrote your post as if to say others should do as you do, and I am not in agreement with that at all. Grind and pack is something there is a fair bit of variety of approach to, and although it is easy to clean, you really only need to clean it when it is getting pretty funky. Cleaning after every use is excessive in my opinion, and could lead to unexpected issues like a couple users have seen with the gasket, or like you have with your mouthpiece.

pushpaw,

CroZure

You don't sound overly critical, just your opinion. You have every right to disagree and we can agree to disagree. There is more than one way to skin a cat, right. I didn't say this but I guess I should have state this is my perspective only but isn't the only way. As far as the mouthpiece, like I said above, it broke off after one week of use. It actually broke the first time I removed it. I have a space grinder but the mouth piece still clogs pretty easily for me when I use any grinder, which is why I use scissors or finger. There is noting really wrong with going multiple sessions without cleaning but I do notice a decrease in vapor. Is this not the case with you? Even review videos state to clean every other session. You can always replace the lid if the gasket wears out but I have not had that issue yet. Normal wear and tear is expected with any vaporizer. Again, as long as there is access to replacement parts, I am okay with it.

CroZure,

pushpaw

You don't sound overly critical, just your opinion. You have every right to disagree and we can agree to disagree. There is more than one way to skin a cat, right. I didn't say this but I guess I should have state this is my perspective only but isn't the only way. As far as the mouthpiece, like I said above, it broke off after one week of use. It actually broke the first time I removed it. I have a space grinder but the mouth piece still clogs pretty easily for me when I use any grinder, which is why I use scissors or finger. There is noting really wrong with going multiple sessions without cleaning but I do notice a decrease in vapor. Is this not the case with you? Even review videos state to clean every other session. You can always replace the lid if the gasket wears out but I have not had that issue yet. Normal wear and tear is expected with any vaporizer. Again, as long as there is access to replacement parts, I am okay with it.
Cool, and I may have been reading too much into your post, or just the wordings that came across (to me anyway) as 'you should' rather than 'I prefer to'. I am totally down with us doing things differently. Clean as often as you want to, I just don't want to as much.

I wonder if the Space Case has a finer grind than the SCS. I barely get any bits down into the mouthpiece when vaping flowers, and what does get there is easily removed by just blowing into the mouthpiece with the lid off. My mouthpiece has never become clogged.

I clean mine even less now that I am using it almost solely for concentrates. (I just got home, and in a moment will be hitting some lovely Jillybean shatter... yummy.) There is an additional cleaning step of soaking the concentrate pad in iso after a bunch of bowls, and the inside of the FF2 gets sticky (with stuff you can scrape off and vape again, actually, which is true for flowers as well but is a bit messier and I usually don't bother.) My current system is to keep one pad soaking in iso while another is in use, and then swapping them when the one in use is ready for a soak. If you have concentrates available where you are, I wholeheartedly recommend trying some in the FF2.

CroZure

Cool, and I may have been reading too much into your post, or just the wordings that came across (to me anyway) as 'you should' rather than 'I prefer to'. I am totally down with us doing things differently. Clean as often as you want to, I just don't want to as much.

I wonder if the Space Case has a finer grind than the SCS. I barely get any bits down into the mouthpiece when vaping flowers, and what does get there is easily removed by just blowing into the mouthpiece with the lid off. My mouthpiece has never become clogged.

I clean mine even less now that I am using it almost solely for concentrates. (I just got home, and in a moment will be hitting some lovely Jillybean shatter... yummy.) There is an additional cleaning step of soaking the concentrate pad in iso after a bunch of bowls, and the inside of the FF2 gets sticky (with stuff you can scrape off and vape again, actually, which is true for flowers as well but is a bit messier and I usually don't bother.) My current system is to keep one pad soaking in iso while another is in use, and then swapping them when the one in use is ready for a soak. If you have concentrates available where you are, I wholeheartedly recommend trying some in the FF2.

That we can agree on. Concentrates are great with the FF2. I don't clean as much with concentrates either.

CroZure,
Reactions: turk

malsanti

Well I am really stoned but I feel remiss if I would not chime in with some new thoughts.

I think the Firefly 2 might be great. What I have found to be most important is the bowl has to be well packed. It actually shouldn't be too coarse. Not too fine, but not too coarse either. I find it actually doesn't doe an even job if it is too coarse.

I also let it heat up, and small sips that give you good draws. If you pack it well, you actually do get a good 3-4 draws. In portable I have only tried Flowermate, and I believe it is probably quite superior. I'm not sure how much superior.

What do people think of it stealth wise? I did use it in a movie, but the ergonomics aren't exactly for stealth. But still, easy enough to hold in a position that is more discreete. Travelling wise, if you removie the mouth piece and put an easy to remove sticker over the bowl you're good to take it around.

I will keep this vape but can someone tell me if I should get a crafty, alpha or grasshopper as well?

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

Well I am really stoned but I feel remiss if I would not chime in with some new thoughts.

I think the Firefly 2 might be great. What I have found to be most important is the bowl has to be well packed. It actually shouldn't be too coarse. Not too fine, but not too coarse either. I find it actually doesn't doe an even job if it is too coarse.

I also let it heat up, and small sips that give you good draws. If you pack it well, you actually do get a good 3-4 draws. In portable I have only tried Flowermate, and I believe it is probably quite superior. I'm not sure how much superior.

What do people think of it stealth wise? I did use it in a movie, but the ergonomics aren't exactly for stealth. But still, easy enough to hold in a position that is more discreete. Travelling wise, if you removie the mouth piece and put an easy to remove sticker over the bowl you're good to take it around.

I will keep this vape but can someone tell me if I should get a crafty, alpha or grasshopper as well?
I'm not familiar with the alpha, so I can't weigh in on that one. Crafty v. gh is tough. It really depends on you needs/preferences/intended use.

Crafty is really a session vape, and gh is a great one-and-done vape. I have and love both, but have to say that since I got my gh, that's my go to. But it's much better for solo use. But for more than one person use, go with the Crafty, or as @Reggie Watts suggested, the Mighty.

I think it's only a matter of time before you add BOTH to your collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom