The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

collegeKid101

Just got a new FF2 as my first vape directly from Firefly but I'm having some trouble. I've used plenty of vapes before but something is off here.

On this one the green lights are never "blinking" it just turns on immediately solid. I have tried a few times over a few hours including after unboxing and the green light never blinks.

The device does feel like it gets hot and lights up slightly but never too hot even if I hold the buttons down a long time. It takes an extreme amount of time holding down the buttons before I can get any vapor, and I have been unable to finish a bowl. Most hits yield no vapor/smoke and the material appears to not be getting consumed much.

I already verified it is set to High temperature. I just switched the battery in hope that may help.
I don't own one but what seems to work for a lot of people is finger grinding your herb and packing just tight enough to where if you hit it against your wrist the bowl will "stir" whats inside. Vapecritic posted a very informational video to help people get the most out of their device

collegeKid101,

Lightmgl

I don't own one but what seems to work for a lot of people is finger grinding your herb and packing just tight enough to where if you hit it against your wrist the bowl will "stir" whats inside. Vapecritic posted a very informational video to help people get the most out of their device

Thanks, I had just finished watching that before trying the last time. Thats why I became concerned between that not working and the brightness being dimmer than most of the other videos at a high setting.

The only things I'm left to thing is it is weak heat or I'm inhaling wrong.

After each time I try I empty the barely affected matter into a pipe/bong where it ignites. It is barely touched by the firefly no matter what I try.

Last edited:
Lightmgl,

vape4fun

My first Prima had a broken heater and I wasted lots of bud, time, and energy figuring that out. On high it should feel hot not like you can't hold it but after about five pulls on high it should be hot to the touch on bowl end. Good luck and contact FF tomorrow they're very good customer service wise

vape4fun,

Lightmgl

My first Prima had a broken heater and I wasted lots of bud, time, and energy figuring that out. On high it should feel hot not like you can't hold it but after about five pulls on high it should be hot to the touch on bowl end. Good luck and contact FF tomorrow they're very good customer service wise

I think I will. I gave it another try and the solid "too hot" red light came on. The device was mildly hot but I could touch the bowl with my finger and not get burned.

I've seen good things about their support in this thread which is a relief.

Lightmgl,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Thanks, I had just finished watching that before trying the last time. Thats why I became concerned between that not working and the brightness being dimmer than most of the other videos at a high setting.

The only things I'm left to thing is it is weak heat or I'm inhaling wrong.

After each time I try I empty the barely affected matter into a pipe/bong where it ignites. It is barely touched by the firefly no matter what I try.

Are you getting resistance when you draw? Sounds like it's heating properly, but you aren't a good seal. Make sure the lid is on securely and the mouthpiece is in firmly. The draw should feel somewhat restricted when you inhale.

I think I will. I gave it another try and the solid "too hot" red light came on. The device was mildly hot but I could touch the bowl with my finger and not get burned..

The overheating light is based on an internal temp sensor, and the FF won't always feel hot when you get the red light.

mitchgo61,

Lightmgl

Are you getting resistance when you draw? Sounds like it's heating properly, but you aren't a good seal. Make sure the lid is on securely and the mouthpiece is in firmly. The draw should feel somewhat restricted when you inhale.

The overheating light is based on an internal temp sensor, and the FF won't always feel hot when you get the red light.

I've tried soft and hard draws without much luck. Popped the mouthpiece off a couple of times to make sure it wasn't getting too clogged. Its annoying to pop off, at least it snaps back in pretty clearly.

If anything I feel like I get too much resistance but I've heard thats just how this vape is and why you draw soft.

While I don't expect the FF to be hot I expected touching the bottom of the oven after blasting it at high for 3 minutes straight is like sticking my finger in a cigarette lighter and it just wasn't near that hot.

edit: I just did another round after overheating it and letting it cool. The device got much hotter than before and I definitely got through a decent amount of the matter this time albeit no smoke and it still feels a little cool for what should be a high setting. It still could not finish the matter before overheating again but was much hotter when it overheated.

Last edited:
Lightmgl,

collegeKid101

I know its varies depending on strain and whatnot but how high does one bowl (lets say .15 since that seems to be the general consensus) get you with the FF 2 compared to orher vapes? Hitting my friend's mflb trench got me to a pretty toasty 6-7 and was wondering if a bowl of the FF 2 can do the same (or hopefully) better. So, any replies with how high your tolerance is and how "medicated" one bowl/session gets would be greatly appreciated!

collegeKid101,

mitchgo61

I've tried soft and hard draws without much luck. Popped the mouthpiece off a couple of times to make sure it wasn't getting too clogged. Its annoying to pop off, at least it snaps back in pretty clearly.

If anything I feel like I get too much resistance but I've heard thats just how this vape is and why you draw soft.

While I don't expect the FF to be hot I expected touching the bottom of the oven after blasting it at high for 3 minutes straight is like sticking my finger in a cigarette lighter and it just wasn't near that hot.

edit: I just did another round after overheating it and letting it cool. The device got much hotter than before and I definitely got through a decent amount of the matter this time albeit no smoke and it still feels a little cool for what should be a high setting. It still could not finish the matter before overheating again but was much hotter when it overheated.

I would try packing a little more densely, and maybe a finer grind. Sounds like it's working ok and you're getting a seal so play with your grind and see if that helps.

The FF's internal sensor is affected by ambient temps as well as the FF's temp, and it doesn't always feel the same level of "hot" when you get the red light each time. (I've had it feel really hot, and not throw the light...and had it not feel too warm and gotten the light...it varies.)

mitchgo61,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Following on from the delays on the European release. Namaste have put this message against there description of the Firefly 2.

"Please Note: NamasteVapes is still deciding whether or not to carry this product due to production delays, mixed product reviews and previous battery problems. We recommend customers going with a more reliable product like the popular Crafty vaporizer, the new G Pen Elite or the multifunctional Grizzly Guru!"

https://www.namastevaporizers.co.uk/collections/portable-vaporizers/products/firefly-2-vaporizer

I checked in chat and apparently my preorder is still okay.

I am guessing they are not happy due to the delay of the european release.

oddjobold,
Reactions: smutman

malsanti

You guys are scaring me a little with all this talk of the Firefly 2 being deficient in some way. Haha, I am so confused. Feel like I have been researching vaporizers for a week! More time on it than coding :)

Too many options and too much information for someone like me. I waste time researching every single thing, but I am trying to stop because yes, you tend to make better purchases, at better prices, but you're also using up a lot of time and sometimes stressing yourself out a little.

I am becoming better. Just order and chill and hope for the best. Don mind doing it for this, cause this is important business. But I do need the Firefly 2 to be stealthy. The other problems people are mentioning I can let slide, but people saying its not stealthy at all? That its a home vape? The reason I wanted it so bad is so I can take it around town and use it wherever.

murf2010

You guys are scaring me a little with all this talk of the Firefly 2 being deficient in some way. Haha, I am so confused. Feel like I have been researching vaporizers for a week! More time on it than coding :)

Too many options and too much information for someone like me. I waste time researching every single thing, but I am trying to stop because yes, you tend to make better purchases, at better prices, but you're also using up a lot of time and sometimes stressing yourself out a little.

I am becoming better. Just order and chill and hope for the best. Don mind doing it for this, cause this is important business. But I do need the Firefly 2 to be stealthy. The other problems people are mentioning I can let slide, but people saying its not stealthy at all? That its a home vape? The reason I wanted it so bad is so I can take it around town and use it wherever.

It's stealthy enough but requires maitenance when using. Stiring and whatnot

murf2010,

HerbieVonVapster

But I do need the Firefly 2 to be stealthy. The other problems people are mentioning I can let slide, but people saying its not stealthy at all? That its a home vape? The reason I wanted it so bad is so I can take it around town and use it wherever.

Think my comment on style might have confused issue a bit. Not sure on your vaping needs. I can safely say if can get by with around 60 hits or 120 if you carry extra battery well out and about you should be good to go. In a lot of ways its more stealthy than say the pax2. Could easily see it being used for what your envisioning.

My early comment was more commenting about this vaporizer wasn't jabba style. I have different vaporizer for different needs. Personal when I am walking the dog it's in the woods and I am juggleing between holding the dog leach and my balance issue. Smell is not a concern so pax2 works better for me there.

Where I am hoping the firefly2 shines for is a quick slip away to the bathroom outside wherever for a few hits then back to whatever I was doing in public. If you read some of my other post you know I love my elevape smart vaporizer. But I also have a bit of VAS and it's been a year since I got my pax2.

Honestly I have to say after only one day I am really digging this vaporizer..enough so I am considering finally sending my elevape in for a new battery replacement. That says a lot since my elevape is my daily driver.

I'm not sure what your vaping for recreational, medical or both. But for my pain issues convection just works better. If your looking for more recreational well the firefly 2 also shines there.

Last edited:
HerbieVonVapster,

darbarikanada

I absolutely get what you're saying about how much time it takes to research vapes. I've been following this thread since early on and I think that the consensus is that it's not the stealthiest vape (grasshopper seems to win this one, but its downside is - supposedly, I haven't used one - hotter vapor, and the wait to get one).

people are definitely doing 'beta testing' on this, reporting on the issues as they encounter them. there's clearly issues with the battery app if not the battery. ff2 isn't a 'cloud machine', or, if it is, that requires a great deal of getting things just right - the grind, the pack, regular stirring, the draw speed in particular. almost everyone agrees that the taste is ff2's best feature. i.e. if you want the best flavor, don't mind fussing (esp. stirring), and can work around the (probably temporary, until a fix) battery issues, it's great, but if stealth is your primary goal - not so much.

stealth and vapes are a tricky thing. in spite of the fact that vapes eliminate the smell and all the lighter activity, you're still sucking away for 10-15 sec. at a pull on a device - hard to call that stealthy. I tell myself that to an uninformed observer, it could be an asthma inhaler or medical device, but I wouldn't want to push that logic too far...

darbarikanada,

Sh4dy15

that requires a great deal of getting things just right - the grind, the pack, regular stirring, the draw speed in particular. almost everyone agrees that the taste is ff2's best feature. i.e. if you want the best flavor, don't mind fussing (esp. stirring), and can work around the (probably temporary, until a fix) battery issues, it's great, but if stealth is your primary goal - not so much.

In my opinion, this is way too overstated. Its not that complicated at all.

My assumption is that the people having an issue have either never used a convection vape before, never vaped at all before, or are used to the Pax or MFLB where it needs a really really fine grind.

3 or 4 piece grinder works fine. Pack it to top of bowl and you're good. Not difficult but people seem to be making it more difficult.

Just my :2c:

Edit: As for the "cloud machine" comment. This is somewhat true BUT I get some monster clouds from it. Again, peoples expectations are all different so I am not sure what everyone considers to be big clouds.

HerbieVonVapster

Totally agree with Sh4dy15 I am using a one piece grinder for the firefly2 or hand breaking it up either works great.

I think most issues are convection vaporizer work different. It's all about using a long slow draw. If you can do that you will see where this vaporizer shines.

HerbieVonVapster,

vape4fun

Regarding stealth what is the concern? You're walking down street inhaling this thing walk by someone and they say hey you what are you inhaling? Stay there while I call the cops???? I mean yes if you get pulled over no matter how stealthy the vape (maybe hopper can be ok) you will be fucked. So when someone is concerned of stealth please explain what your concern is exactly. I have a wife whose policy is if I don't see it or smell it I don't care. Pax was a problem this device isn't.

My problem and this isn't huge but it's a problem is I can't walk and hit it I've tried but it's tough. But I've stood outside plenty times hitting it and anyone who has looked at me hasn't said anything. So who cares if a stranger looks at you???

Lastly if you use it you can smoke a bowl dump it out put lid on and you won't get caught only when there is bud in there is an issue

ArthurJ

I wouldnt say it's not stealthy. It doesnt give off an odor and it's really super easy to operate. For me the shape is a drawback in terms of stealth because you're obviously holding a device projecting away from your face, so that might look odd. Unlike people vaping tobacco related stuff, those devices always seem more pen shaped and held more perpendicular to the ground.
So I dont think the fifrefly can be mistaken for that kind of device and thats my goal if I'm out and about, I want to be mistaken for somebody vaping tobacco related products.

My bigger issue with taking it outside is I don't want to lose it. I feel like it is SO light that it can slip easily out of a pocket or something.

For stealth I like my firewood and my V2 pro which isnt a quality vape, but it is easy to carry around, and I dont care too much if I lose it.

I love the taste of the firefly and I love it for use around the house. I sometimes have with app synching with it, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't but that doesn't prevent it from operating and getting me well medicated quickly.

mitchgo61

In my opinion, this is way too overstated. Its not that complicated at all.

My assumption is that the people having an issue have either never used a convection vape before, never vaped at all before, or are used to the Pax or MFLB where it needs a really really fine grind.

3 or 4 piece grinder works fine. Pack it to top of bowl and you're good. Not difficult but people seem to be making it more difficult.

Just my :2c:

Edit: As for the "cloud machine" comment. This is somewhat true BUT I get some monster clouds from it. Again, peoples expectations are all different so I am not sure what everyone considers to be big clouds.

I agree. Everytime I pick it up, no matter how I grind or pack, I get great vapor. Yes, if you want huge clouds, you gotta pack it just right. But overall, it's a pretty simple vape to use. It ain't for everyone, for sure, but it's nowhere near as complicated or difficult as all the overthinking and hand-wringing would lead you to believe IME.

It's plenty stealthy. Someone said the Mighty was more portable and less fragile...huh? That's crazy talk. The FF is eminently portable and stealthy. Not as stealthy as the Pax, but a way better vape, if great vapor is your yardstick. :2c:

Pears

I agree. Everytime I pick it up, no matter how I grind or pack, I get great vapor. Yes, if you want huge clouds, you gotta pack it just right. But overall, it's a pretty simple vape to use. It ain't for everyone, for sure, but it's nowhere near as complicated or difficult as all the overthinking and hand-wringing would lead you to believe IME.

It's plenty stealthy. Someone said the Mighty was more portable and less fragile...huh? That's crazy talk. The FF is eminently portable and stealthy. Not as stealthy as the Pax, but a way better vape, if great vapor is your yardstick. :2c:
The Mighty is most certainly less fragile, it has no glass and can withstand being banged around inside a bag with a grinder, jar, etc. but I wouldn't trust the firefly in the same scenario at all.

Pears,

mitchgo61

The Mighty is most certainly less fragile, it has no glass and can withstand being banged around inside a bag with a grinder, jar, etc. but I wouldn't trust the firefly in the same scenario at all.

I cannot agree. I worship my Mightys, but they are as fragile as the day is long (as we say in June). Many users have had pieces of the Mighty break just in normal use....plastic ribs snapping, pieces of the bowl chipping. It's a delicate, needs-to-handled-with-kid-gloves ugly chunk of plastic.

You will likely never break the glass on the FF, and no part of it will ever break just removing the lid....which is demonstrably untrue of the Mighty. But my point isn't Mighty-bashing, cause I can't live without my Mightys....it's more that I'm trying to let future FF users know that most of us find the FF easy, portable, stealthy, and, yes, built to be fairly robust. Despite all the verbal hand-wringing in this thread. Again....just my :2c:.

purplenurple24

I still feel like my Crafty is easier to use on the go (although I prefer to use my FF2)

It's all subjective, really. There are so many variables and differences in how/where we use our vapes that everybody's opinion will be different.

Some people might feel like having to stir with the FF2 is a fair trade for having to wait with a conduction vape. Some people may feel the opposite.

All the vapes on the market are so different that we could argue till the cows come home, but that ain't gonna change the way mustard tastes (obligatory Community reference.)

Everybody is different (and so are all these vaporizers) Everybody's expectation of "portable" is going to be different too.

There is no perfect portable vape (not yet anyway) :2c:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I still feel like my Crafty is easier to use on the go (although I prefer to use my FF2)

It's all subjective, really. There are so many variables and differences in how/where we use our vapes that everybody's opinion will be different.

Some people might feel like having to stir with the FF2 is a fair trade for having to wait with a conduction vape. Some people may feel the opposite.

All the vapes on the market are so different that we could argue till the cows come home, but that ain't gonna change the way mustard tastes (obligatory Community reference.)

Everybody is different (and so are all these vaporizers) Everybody's expectation of "portable" is going to be different too.

There is no perfect portable vape (not yet anyway) :2c:
Agreed, had lots of great Vapes that are just not for me... the list is pretty long.

Bravesst,

purplenurple24

Gotta remember to check their website to be safe. They may not have a system in place that automatically reminds you. Also, my guess is they just barely put the case up. Still, when I am after something I always check. :2c:
I've been checking. I've been watching the lids, but waiting for them to announce their release. Mostly because somebody mentioned they were considering a 2 for 1 type deal. They have a list of people they were going to contact upon release. They told me I was on said list, but never emailed me.

The cases are new today though. They were not there last night. The lids have been available on their website since mid-day Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom