The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Bronzs:

You can get the proper soft silicone rubber tubing on line, from amazon or ebay, or you can get it from McMaster-Carr or US Plastics. For the EQ, I found that 7/16" OD X 5/16" ID X 1/16" wall thickness works best.

Just make sure it is the heat resistant type.

nicelytoasted,
Reactions: Bronzs

ROSSTA

I am also wondering the same thing bronzs, i need to upgrade mine also. A local headshop says they get it in everyonce in a while. Maybe try your local shops. I will search this phorum, I am sure it is posted on here somewhere.

ROSSTA,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Where can I get this silicone tubing? Would just a normal hardware store have it?

I could not find it in a hw or big box store, including online. Take a look at this thread:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/whip-tubing-all-your-questions-answered.3311/

Not mentioned in that thread is availability from Amazon. In the U.S., users typically buy from Amazon, McMaster, or USPlastics. Careful of shipping costs; IIRC the USPlastics was net more expensive than Amazon. Be sure of your dimensions.

You can also find posts about it here in this thread. Top-right this page, Search on "silicone AND tubing", check "Search this thread only".

I am also wondering the same thing bronzs, i need to upgrade mine also. A local headshop says they get it in everyonce in a while. Maybe try your local shops. I will search this phorum, I am sure it is posted on here somewhere.

Be cautious about your LHS, or even online vape retailers. You can't rely on verbal assurance, and there may be no technical specification available. You want NSF-51, "food/medical grade". It will have a high heat range, 400F+. Elasticity is important too (aka "durometer"). The products posted in this thread meet all this criteria.

FrogBoy138

Mmm I've been looking in that good cheap glass thread. I've got a few I'm considering (looking at sub $100) right now im debating between a tube (which would go ontop of the Q) or a bubbler, which I'd need to invert the q for.... suggestions?

Hey ipax try and not pack the elbow to tight. I don't know what you mean about putting a tube on top of your EQ (shrug) but I thought I would say you might want to look into this blower for a bubbler in the $50 range http://www.ioffer.com/i/handblown-glass-bubbler-showerhead-perc-534147658
and if you want a tube SSFG is always a good place to start in fact in fact if you have the cash I would go to them for everything. Alot of other good options for glass around here I'm not familiar with.

FrogBoy138,

Wolf46

Vapor War Team Cap
Ok guys, after a few long session i have some question and things to say:

-why on earth i taste the exact same flavour from a poor street weed and a northern lights from amsterdam?
both bag and whip deliver to me the same flavour from 2 very very different strains, and not a good flavour i have to say (in a joint with northern lighs and tobacco, i taste a most sweetest flavour then the EQ)...

-i didn't notice big difference between the cyclone bowl or the elbow pack! the cyclone is easy to load, i can smoke for much long then the elbow, and the stirring operation is much too easy then the elbow!
Maybe the EP deliver to me a little more visible vapor then CB, but i'm generally not satisfied for the amount of vapour (i dont have giant,dense cloud of vapor)!

-i think that i'm getting something wrong, maybe the grindeness\dryness of the weed, maybe the suck\draw technique, i dont'known...but i follow all the rules for a perfect vaporization:
fine grind herb
dry weed
i draw slow and long
half load for the CB and a full load (not too tight) for the EP
i let the EQ warm up for minimum 20 minutes to 30 minutes, and i let the weed warm up for 3-5 minutes in the bowl\elbow before the first draw...

-the high\stone from the EQ is nice but gentle, not too strong, and lasts less then a joint, but i not try the stonished sensation even at the high temperature (220\230 C)!

-It's normal that i cough a lot? the vapor seems to irritate my throat more then smoke...but maybe it's because I'm not used to draw for so long and keep the smoke inside for so long...

Advice of any type?!?
P.S. sorry again for my english and thanks in advance!

Wolf46,

Wolf46

Vapor War Team Cap
I start to think that my problem is the not-optimal dryness of the herb...
I think that my weed in not dry enough, how can i dried it properly? i read that the mini oxygen absorber inside the beef jerky/medicinal is a way to go, what do you think about this method?

Wolf46,

hoptimum

I start to think that my problem is the not-optimal dryness of the herb...
I think that my weed in not dry enough, how can i dried it properly? i read that the mini oxygen absorber inside the beef jerky/medicinal is a way to go, what do you think about this method?

What temperature are you starting with and what does your spent herb look like after you vaporize it?

hoptimum,

Wolf46

Vapor War Team Cap
I start to vape around 170-175 C and i have absolutely no vapor or good taste (for the taste question read my previous post)
And i finish to vape at 220-230 C and i have a medium amount of vapor, and the herb is dark brown, almost black, and it smell roast-like...
At this moment, i'm 99% secure that my problem is the level of dryness...
I see the video on youtube, and the weed in the cyclone spin around when the people get a draw, but my weed stay still on the ground and this is a overweight signal i think...

Wolf46,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Could be a few things. Quality of herb can have quite an impact.

If your weed is typical "smoke dry" (what you would normally smoke), it may need to be dried a little. Nothing too harsh, and you don't want to overheat. Put it on a piece of paper on top of a warm piece of electronics (stereo receiver, television/cable/satellite converter, or similar) for an hour or so to dry it out. You definitely don't need a dehydrator or anything unless you are in a hurry to get at freshly cropped buds!

After drying, grind it pretty fine. Not to dust, but a good grind with a grinder or even between your fingers. 4 piece grinders seem to work better for me with the Q. By the time it falls through the holes to the screen, it's about right. Sometimes with a 2 piece you can get a little carried away and grind it too fine. Still works, but super fine grind seems to work better in other vapes (like MFLB).

Drying sets the weed up to release THC and other components better, and removes moisture that will make your vapor a little more wispy from water vapor. Grinding gives more surface area to be heated by the hot air passing through.

It's tricky to get the right draw to make everything in the cyclone bowl spin around and still not just go up into the elbow. IMO it's a design flaw with the cyclone bowl. The ledge the screen sits on in the middle seems to be a little too wide. Some have ground it out (see Seek's mods), but I wouldn't dare try because I figure I would break it. But, there are a few other ways. You can take a piece of bare wire or paper clip and make a little "spring" that goes between the lip and the screen (there is a post in there with pics and whatnot way back in this thread). Just wrap your wire around a big pen or something and work it so that it barely fits in the cyclone touching the sides. Use it to raise the screen up about 1/4 - 3/8" (6-10mm). Or, if you're careful you can bend the screen to wedge it in so that it sits up that high off the lip by itself. This adds considerable airflow and with a little practice you can have it swirling around in there in no time.

Have you tried doing bags yet? Don't be embarrassed because most here don't do it often. Using the bag takes a good bit of the guesswork and technique out of the equation. Remember... higher heat + lower fan = thicker vapor. Experiment! Once you get a better feel for vaping, it's easier to use control on the whip.

Vaping is definitely a different buzz and you can change it up quite a bit with temps and airflow. If what you're left with isn't black or very dark brown, save it! You can use it to make cana-butter or all kinds of things. I make oil or butter using 1/2 to 2/3 AVB and shake or trim as I have it. My cookies are much requested!;)

FrogBoy138

I start to vape around 170-175 C and i have absolutely no vapor or good taste (for the taste question read my previous post)
And i finish to vape at 220-230 C and i have a medium amount of vapor, and the herb is dark brown, almost black, and it smell roast-like...
At this moment, i'm 99% secure that my problem is the level of dryness...
I see the video on youtube, and the weed in the cyclone spin around when the people get a draw, but my weed stay still on the ground and this is a overweight signal i think...
It's going to make everything taste kind of the same. It makes crappy bud not so bad and high grade not as good but your going to get a lot more vapor from high grade. At first after switching from smoking these things seem most true to me. Get some new bud and give it some time see if your still having a hard time. When you can get rid of that PVC whip stuff it will have a bad taste. My ABV is never dark and I'm a smoker looking for big clouds. Don't give up

FrogBoy138,

oldiebutgoodie

. . . It's tricky to get the right draw to make everything in the cyclone bowl spin around and still not just go up into the elbow. IMO it's a design flaw with the cyclone bowl. The ledge the screen sits on in the middle seems to be a little too wide. Some have ground it out (see Seek's mods), but I wouldn't dare try because I figure I would break it. But, there are a few other ways. You can take a piece of bare wire or paper clip and make a little "spring" that goes between the lip and the screen (there is a post in there with pics and whatnot way back in this thread). Just wrap your wire around a big pen or something and work it so that it barely fits in the cyclone touching the sides. Use it to raise the screen up about 1/4 - 3/8" (6-10mm). Or, if you're careful you can bend the screen to wedge it in so that it sits up that high off the lip by itself. This adds considerable airflow and with a little practice you can have it swirling around in there in no time . . .

IMHO it's not necessary - and maybe not really the greatest idea for a first-time vaper first-time Q user - to go down the mod path.

I have a friend who I've been helping to "learn" his Q. It took him a while, but now he is hitting the cyclone at 200C and getting the vapor he wants. He needed to work through the right amount, the right grind, the right draw but now he gets the turbulence. If you are getting dark brown ABV then your herb has been vaporized and that vapor is inside of you now. This is what flotntoke and I were referring to before about the difference in the experience. Don't try to make vaping into smoking. Let vaping be vaping. And give yourself time, so . . .

. . . Have you tried doing bags yet? Don't be embarrassed because most here don't do it often. Using the bag takes a good bit of the guesswork and technique out of the equation. Remember... higher heat + lower fan = thicker vapor. Experiment! Once you get a better feel for vaping, it's easier to use control on the whip . . .

This is excellent advice. If we overlooked it in our previous posts, that was our mistake. (If you ignored it in our previous posts, that was your mistake. ;) ) Heat the cyclone on 210C for about 15 minutes, fill the bowl 1/2 - 2/3, let it sit for about 5 minutes, attach the bag, turn on fan 2 (some use fan 1, some use fan 3). You'll see thick vapor filling the bag. Finish off the bag, and in a couple hours you'll be in shape (or maybe not) to think about what you did, and then try it a little differently. Experiment! Once you understand the subtleties of the Q, you can move on to the whip.

Keep us posted.

oldiebutgoodie,

oldiebutgoodie

. . . Or, if you're careful you can bend the screen to wedge it in so that it sits up that high off the lip by itself. This adds considerable airflow and with a little practice you can have it swirling around in there in no time . . .

I missed this suggestion in my previous reply . . . IMO a good idea. It's very simple, makes for a tighter fit of the screen anyway, and adds airflow as flotntoke posted.

I just use my thumbs to shape the screen into a shallow dome, try to keep it even all around. Then push the screen into the cyclone side-ways and work it down to the glass ledge with the glass stick, top of the dome facing up. Tuck the edge of the screen around the ledge. You will probably have to do this a few times before getting a perfect fit. The snug domed screen will prevent any herb from falling through while adding airflow.

oldiebutgoodie,

harmudge

Wolf46 hopefully you have the Q nailed now and enjoying it.
One thing I will say if your still having difficulty is...stick with it.

I don't know if you have vaped seriously before or not, but I had the same problems as you described up above about the poor vapor and coughing etc etc, when I first started with my Q.
It was my first serious vape and I was making the transition from smoking to vaping and I was comparing the two and was feeling ripped off by vaping...I stuck with it and learned to use the Q and now I love it.
So stick with it and I'm sure you will agree.

ipax

Any hope for the pics of your tube / bubbler? Still debating which to buy. the 185 elbow pack that you mentioned is amazing.

ipax,

ROSSTA

^^^^^^I cannot figure out how to put pics on here. I have them on my Iphone4s. Can someone PM with the info needed to post pics. Thanks in advance. I am not good when it comes to computers.

ROSSTA,

ipax

^^^^^^I cannot figure out how to put pics on here. I have them on my Iphone4s. Can someone PM with the info needed to post pics. Thanks in advance. I am not good when it comes to computers.
I would try uploading the pics to here: http://imgur.com/ (you can email them to yourself, download them on your PC then upload) then copy the image link from the pic or the album, you could either attach them with the button here (looks like a pic of a green tree) or just paste the link so we/I can see.

ipax,

PugglePO

Hey guys I just found out about this site, been using extreme q for 3 months

Without reading through the whole thread can some answer these questions for me

Where can I get cheapest glass on glass peice to attach the glass bowl to my bong?

What's the best method to get the oil/resin from tubing / mouth peiece, I have just been dipping cigs or joints through the. Tubing not with great results

PugglePO,

way2

For connecting to a GonG water tool you can use the second elbow that came with the EQ on the other end of the whip tube its an 18mm GonG

I believe an iso soak is the best way to get reclaim though I've found its not really worth the effort.....someone will correct me if I'm wrong

way2,
What's the best method to get the oil/resin from tubing / mouth peiece, I have just been dipping cigs or joints through the. Tubing not with great results

Only had the Q for a few weeks and so far only cleaned it once. I just took some cotton swabs and cleaned and scraped the elbow and some of the tubing as best I could. I then took the cotton off the stick and did an elbow pack with the cotton. It took a long time to vape it all and I got a ton of vapor, I was flying high for sure. Now for the tubing you could get some cotton balls and a metal coat hanger and give the cotton a few passes through the tubing.

VapeAir 2000,

PugglePO

Only had the Q for a few weeks and so far only cleaned it once. I just took some cotton swabs and cleaned and scraped the elbow and some of the tubing as best I could. I then took the cotton off the stick and did an elbow pack with the cotton. It took a long time to vape it all and I got a ton of vapor, I was flying high for sure. Now for the tubing you could get some cotton balls and a metal coat hanger and give the cotton a few passes through the tubing.

what temp did u vape with the cotton swab at?

can the cotton not cacch fire?

PugglePO,

cellardoor

Anyone ever try attaching an ash catcher to the cyclone bowl directly, then attaching the whip? You could still 'elbow' pack the ash catcher once you put a screen in the gong joint. I'm picturing it with an ash catcher in this style. Any thoughts?

11-arm-tree-ash-catcher-18mm-6a87.jpg

cellardoor,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Anyone ever try attaching an ash catcher to the cyclone bowl directly, then attaching the whip? You could still 'elbow' pack the ash catcher once you put a screen in the gong joint. I'm picturing it with an ash catcher in this style. Any thoughts?

11-arm-tree-ash-catcher-18mm-6a87.jpg
If I'm understanding correctly what you are saying, no it won't work. The ashcatcher is meant to diffuse vapor/smoke coming down from the femal joint, not the other way around.

:peace:

Stu,

cellardoor

If I'm understanding correctly what you are saying, no it won't work. The ashcatcher is meant to diffuse vapor/smoke coming down from the femal joint, not the other way around.

:peace:

Haha oops, I knew it was too good to be true :doh:

cellardoor,

PugglePO

i think my bong openings are the smaller kind 14mm not 18 i cant get elbow to fit in ajy of my bong openings

i dont have a local headshop anywhere to order cheap $5 gong online so i can use the eq with my fake china roor bong

pic of my bong below
roor-bong-15-f4dd.jpg

PugglePO,
Top Bottom