The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

eshen

damienm420 said:
ok. try flipping the screen over or somethin. bend it if you have to. Mine fits pretty tight, I used the flat end of the glass rod and pressed it flat.
Can I see a picture of a screen that's placed correctly in the bowl or something? It seems I must be missing something fairly obvious.

eshen,

damienm420

You are putting it in the correct side of the bowl right? put it in through the black top. I would put a pic but I can't atm.

damienm420,

eshen

damienm420 said:
You are putting it in the correct side of the bowl right? put it in through the black top. I would put a pic but I can't atm.
Through the black top with the clear end over the heating element, right?

eshen,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
eshen: The screen is the cyclone bowl can be bitch. You can try to bend it until it hold tight or try the mod I've described at the page 130. Really great cyclone bowl mod that nullify your problem (and has some efficiency and speed advantages).

Seek,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
eshen -

I find that the flat screen sits at an slight but aggravating angle. So what I do that works very well is to shape the screen with my thumbs just a little to make it concave (that is, like a dome). Then I insert it into the bowl (I use tweezers) sideways (it bends the screen a little but once inside returns to my shape) and then use the stir stick to position it middle pointing up (again, like a dome) and gently tuck the edges tight. It may take a few tries to get the shape just right, but once you've done that, you won't have to fool with it again. I rarely remove the bowl screen, because it stays pretty clean. When I get resin build-up in the bowl, to clean it I put it bottom down in a small narrow glass filled with ISO just up to the black wrap on the bowl; I can leave the screen in and it gets cleaned along with the bowl. After each session, I do a quick bowl clean with a couple spurts from a can of compressed air; again, that clears out any material in the screen. Sometimes the shot of air moves the screen around; it's easy with the stir stick to tuck it back into place.

oldiebutgoodie,

lillgud

oldiebutgoodie said:
If the fan is not running, then there is absolutely no vapor loss up into the whip because the fine mesh elbow screen is designed to create back-pressure into the bowl (this is what creates the "cyclone" effect to stir the herb), so not only is no vapor being created but even any tiny bit that might leech off the herb from the heat of the bowl will be held back by the elbow. This is why you'll read users here posting how they just set up their session and then leave the temp set for leisurely use thru the evening; there is no loss.
Hi everyone,
When I use the whip (temperature 200C) I get visible vapor loss after im done. I can see the "smoke" sipping out just after im done. Sounds like my Extreme Q has some problems?
This cyclone effect, what is this?

My first post on this board, sorry about my english, here in sweden it's our second language :)

lillgud,

oldiebutgoodie

lillgud said:
oldiebutgoodie said:
If the fan is not running, then there is absolutely no vapor loss up into the whip because the fine mesh elbow screen is designed to create back-pressure into the bowl (this is what creates the "cyclone" effect to stir the herb), so not only is no vapor being created but even any tiny bit that might leech off the herb from the heat of the bowl will be held back by the elbow. This is why you'll read users here posting how they just set up their session and then leave the temp set for leisurely use thru the evening; there is no loss.
Hi everyone,
When I use the whip (temperature 200C) I get visible vapor loss after im done. I can see the "smoke" sipping out just after im done. Sounds like my Extreme Q has some problems?
This cyclone effect, what is this?

My first post on this board, sorry about my english, here in sweden it's our second language :)

Since you can see the vapor coming out "just after" your done, I suspect that what you are seeing is the vapor that is remaining in the tube after your hit. Try lifting the elbow and taking one more hit to clear the tube. Otherwise you are wasting vapor. ;)

The "cyclone effect" is how the herb moves around inside the bowl when you are taking a hit or when the fan runs. The design of the bowl along with the elbow screen back pressure is intended to create this effect for more even vaporizing of the herb. Even so, the herb typically still needs to be stirred once or twice during a session with the glass stir stick.

oldiebutgoodie,
Forgive a noob question from an old timer.

I got a used Extreme-Q and it makes an odd sound when it is just sitting idle while heating, with no fan on. It's relatively high pitched and relatively loud, like just as loud as fan level 1 but with a different sound. It seems to cycle on and off somewhat. It's almost like a hiss, like gas escaping from a tank.

Normal?

charliedontsurf,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Yup. Mine does it as well as quite a few others. I don't know that mine is as loud as a fan but its definitely audible but nothing to worry about imo.

J.R.R.Tokin',

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
charliedontsurf said:
Forgive a noob question from an old timer.

I got a used Extreme-Q and it makes an odd sound when it is just sitting idle while heating, with no fan on. It's relatively high pitched and relatively loud, like just as loud as fan level 1 but with a different sound. It seems to cycle on and off somewhat. It's almost like a hiss, like gas escaping from a tank.

Normal?
Mine made a high pitched whine kinda sound when it was heating but nothing resembling a hiss, it was pretty annoying

SF Giant,
Thanks for the quick answers guys. It's been on for about 2 hours and has made iffy noises about 15 minutes of that time now. It kind of reminds me of how a 9 year old computer sounds when disk drives start spinning up.. Is there a second fan that comes on when the electronics sense they are getting too hot, or something to that effect? Sorry for the 20 questions, it's a big thread.

On a positive note, I like this thing. I haven't blown a bag yet but have been quite impressed with fan assisted whip hits. Unassisted hits were a bit disappointing, but running the whip through a bubbler produced good density, satisfying vapor. The fan is indeed too weak to push vapor through water, unlike the HA air pump. Both the cyclone pack and elbow pack seem to have merits. I like how the Extreme seems to get quite hot on the upper end, something I always appreciate.

If the temperature readout can be trusted then it has superb heat retention.

charliedontsurf,

oldiebutgoodie

charliedontsurf said:
Thanks for the quick answers guys. It's been on for about 2 hours and has made iffy noises about 15 minutes of that time now. It kind of reminds me of how a 9 year old computer sounds when disk drives start spinning up.. Is there a second fan that comes on when the electronics sense they are getting too hot, or something to that effect? Sorry for the 20 questions, it's a big thread.

On a positive note, I like this thing. I haven't blown a bag yet but have been quite impressed with fan assisted whip hits. Unassisted hits were a bit disappointing, but running the whip through a bubbler produced good density, satisfying vapor. The fan is indeed too weak to push vapor through water, unlike the HA air pump. Both the cyclone pack and elbow pack seem to have merits. I like how the Extreme seems to get quite hot on the upper end, something I always appreciate.

If the temperature readout can be trusted then it has superb heat retention.

Somewhere on this thread there are pics of the unit's innards. It's a pretty straightforward design. No, there is only one fan. Usually fan failure is in the bearing, with a higher pitch than a disk drive spin-up. What you could be hearing is heat induced expansion/contraction of materials or air. Another possibility is that certain electrical components like chokes and voltage regulators can make noises when they are failing; I haven't seen the unit's circuitry up close so I can't say if such devices are on the board. All that said, it's true that a few folks on this thread have reported hearing little noises without experiencing any functional issues. If you're concerned though, fire off an email to Kevin at Arizer; IME he's been pretty helpful.

I also use fan assisted whip thru a bubbler, and use the bubbler with the bag, too. Both setups work pretty work well. Re the temp readout, that depends on the model you have. If you have the Q, then yes, it's adjusted to reflect vaporizing temperature. My understanding from others is that in previous generations of the Extreme (before the Q) the temp sensor was located at several different points with not altogether satisfying results.

All in all, the Q is a pretty good general purpose vaporizer.

oldiebutgoodie,
So a properly operating Extreme Q, heating up but idling, should be nearly if not entirely quiet correct? Mine has been sitting here sounding like a disc drive but a little higher pitched for about 12 minutes now... It's even complete with a little, warbling, disc-loading type sound. :/

Is the rippled-stainless model newer or older? Which style LED is newer or older?

Edit: just had combustion happen while blowing a bag at 250C, fan setting 2, cyclone pack. What a b.

charliedontsurf,

oldiebutgoodie

charliedontsurf said:
So a properly operating Extreme Q, heating up but idling, should be nearly if not entirely quiet correct? Mine has been sitting here sounding like a disc drive but a little higher pitched for about 12 minutes now... It's even complete with a little, warbling, disc-loading type sound. :/

Is the rippled-stainless model newer or older? Which style LED is newer or older?

Edit: just had combustion happen while blowing a bag at 250C, fan setting 2, cyclone pack. What a b.

Yes, AFAIK and IME it should be absolutely quiet. As I said before, there are electrical components that can make strange noises when failing, but this is such a simple device that I would not expect that. If the pitch is higher than a disc spin-up and you are hearing a mechanical like sound, that really does suggest the fan. The Q's fan is a Delta, which is very good quality. But any fan can fail, and of course there can be an issue if it was incorrectly mounted (or replaced improperly?). But if it is running while turned off then there is an electrical issue and something seriously amiss. Are you feeling any kind of airflow with the fan turned off? (Turn the machine on fully cooled, be sure the temp is at the lowest setting, remove the bowl and put your ear near the top of the unit for a few moments.) I suggest an email to Arizer support.

I don't know the look of the Extreme prior to the Q, but I think there is a separate thread here for that machine which probably has pics. The Q's LED is blue in a ~1/4" aluminum frame held by a black bezel faceplate with white lettering. The shell I think may be similar but is shorter than previous generations.

Re combustion, why are you so far up at 250C???

oldiebutgoodie,

vapedude

Justin Lee
I have this thing and I absolutely love it. If you use the bag assembly, what's your method?

Pack the cyclone bowl halfway up the non-frosted part
I go 374, speed 1 for the first bag
374, speed 2 for the second
mix it around
383, speed 3 for the third
383, speed 4 for the fourth

vapedude,

oldiebutgoodie

vapedude said:
I have this thing and I absolutely love it. If you use the bag assembly, what's your method?

mix it around

Whether I use the bag or the whip, I attach it to my bubbler. I've replaced the stock tubing with silicone, using only ~3" from elbow to bag. After blowing the bag, I pull the elbow, remove the screen, and put the elbow into the bubbler's GonG joint. With the whip, I put an elbow (w/o screen, of course) at the exit end instead of the mouthpiece, insert into bubbler joint; I also shortened the whip to ~20".

At the start I used the same temps as you, but I've dropped down to 180C (356F). Using the fan at 2 and 3 as you are, I would mix more often.

Btw, there is no speed 4. Of course, after 4 bags, who can count anyway? :)

oldiebutgoodie,

damienm420

vapedude said:

mix it around

Do you use your cyclone bowl upside down? Sounds like it. Just checking.

damienm420,

MrNorml

eshen said:
Thank you so much for the replies, people. One similar question before I purchase this: If I was so inclined to use the bag, would I need to cover up the hole on the bag while taking hits, or is there some similar mechanism on the bag? I think I heard that the volcano has a similar bag mechanism but the EQ doesn't. Not gonna be using bags much, I don't think, but if I was I'd like to know.

I think bags are really nice. I had never tried on before the Q, so I have nothing to compare it with. But I set the fan on 2 with the balloon attached, and within a couple minutes I get many many hits. Apparently I could use less herb, since I am able to get at least 1 if not 2 more good balloons, sometimes raising the heat between bags, and usually using an 'elbow pack'. Yes, I do have to cover the hole with my thumb. As a former smoker it is second nature to me and cannot seriously believe anyone would find that one single feature/deficiency "the" reason to not get a Q or to not get it for balloons. Try it. You may like it. But you really shouldn't think that 'having' to 'move a thumb' as a dealbreaker. Because that's all there is - put digit over hole at end of tube you hold in hand possessing those very digits right near the uncovered hole. Seriously. It's no big deal. I have 'trained' many people, and it has never taken more than a second to instruct. The hardest part is getting people to not squeeze the bag. So - if you can hold a pen in your hand and place your thumb on either end of the pen, you already have the toolset needed to use the balloon system with the Q. Balloons are easier for me personally usually.

MrNorml,
oldiebutgoodie said:
Yes, AFAIK and IME it should be absolutely quiet. As I said before, there are electrical components that can make strange noises when failing, but this is such a simple device that I would not expect that. If the pitch is higher than a disc spin-up and you are hearing a mechanical like sound, that really does suggest the fan. The Q's fan is a Delta, which is very good quality. But any fan can fail, and of course there can be an issue if it was incorrectly mounted (or replaced improperly?). But if it is running while turned off then there is an electrical issue and something seriously amiss. Are you feeling any kind of airflow with the fan turned off? (Turn the machine on fully cooled, be sure the temp is at the lowest setting, remove the bowl and put your ear near the top of the unit for a few moments.) I suggest an email to Arizer support.

I don't know the look of the Extreme prior to the Q, but I think there is a separate thread here for that machine which probably has pics. The Q's LED is blue in a ~1/4" aluminum frame held by a black bezel faceplate with white lettering. The shell I think may be similar but is shorter than previous generations.

Re combustion, why are you so far up at 250C???

Thanks for the great info. There is no airflow when the fans are off. I'm getting some occasional odd noise but it's working great.

I was running it so high because I was blowing nighttime bags of ABV. I was surprised that the Extreme could cause combustion in bag blowing mode just because it's really almost an impossibility in the other two common bag-blowers, the Herbalaire and Volcano. Just a difference in designs.

The bag blowing is actually really nice. Solid concentrates work great at max temp, and make for a fun show in the clear glass bowl. I do wish it got maybe 20 or 30F hotter but it still works just fine. I can see where people would want custom Extreme bowls that place the bowl closer to the heating element. All the glass is fun and I came to like the simple glass mouthpiece over the plastic ones of the HA and Volcano.

On the above topic about the valve, well, I would like one in a perfect world. But a few thoughts: after the first drag, the bag won't billow smoke, it will mostly stay put. The glass mouthpiece feels nicer on the lips than the plastic of any valve system for me, and I feel better reclaiming from it. What Arizer and the Herbalaire people both need to do is simply provide plastic plugs which can be tied conveniently onto the mouthpieces themselves. I think these inexpensive production piece would put this whole issue to rest and reduce waste while keeping the elegant glass mouthpiece intact.

charliedontsurf,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
I dont know if the Q is the like the Solo. The solo has a switching power supply which emits a 16Khz tone when the heater is on. Its silent to many people like me but some folks can hear the ~16 Khz noise. Maybe the Q is the same way. ask arizer.

you can playback a 16Khz tone and see if you can hear it. I can't. My hearing goes to 14.5k.

My Solos and Q's are all silent to me

ru_frothi,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
This is not entirely accurate. I'm burdened with extremely sensitive hearing and can hear sounds above 20Khz, yet my old ceramic Solo is completely silent to me. I could hear the newer SS Solo that I got as a warranty replacement though, luckily the sound wasn't very loud and only noticeable in a quiet room.

OhTheAgony,
My hearing must be shit, because I've noticed the Solo's high pitched sound a grand total of one time - while in bed in a dead silence, I finally heard it. This sound is definitely different.

I guess the Solo sound is dogwhistle-annoying to some people, but to the dead-ears, it's not an issue.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom