The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

the electrician

finchrock24 said:
Can someone give me like a quick like bullet point list of the few essential things I need to do to get the most out of my Q?
- destroy the cyclone bowl
- get a bong that accepts a 14mm bowl and a 14 to 18mm adapter
- put a screen in the adapter and use as a bowl and the extreme as a heat wand
technically speaking thats how you get the most out of it

the electrician,

Merq

Hey all. New to the forum, and also to vaporizing. Bought the Extreme-Q as my first vaporizer. I'm liking it so far.

Been reading all you guys' posts and whatnot, great info, glad to be amongst you all. :)

I want to make sure I got the process down, and that I'm getting the most from vaporizing.

Currently I just grind up regular old green, nothing fancy. I load it loosely in the cyclone bowl up to the bottom of the black tape/color of the bowl. I then place it on the vaporizer, and let it sit at 220 C for about 2 minutes, and then I put the whip on it and start hitting it. It takes about 3-4 pulls before vapor actually starts coming out, but then I'll get decent hits for a little bit. Should I be putting the whip on during the 2 minute warm up I am doing? I just hit it until I'm not blowing out any vape at all any more and then stir, try again a few times, and empty it.

As for bags, I have just did everything above, except after 2 minutes I'll put the fan on 2 and let it fill up. Still at 220 C. Remember this isn't dro or anything, just reggie.

Is this about all you do? Should I be doing something different to get better results? All in all... I come from smoking blunts through out every day. The high is definitely less exhausting and doesn't seem to ever cause a headache like blunts could.

Thanks for any info. Much appreciate. Happy vaping!

Merq,

hereatlast

A lot of people here would recommend a longer warm-up time for your cyclone bowl usage, somewhere in the 5-10 minute range.

For the whip, I think most people that start using the elusive 'elbow-pack' don't go back to the regular cyclone bowl. As for a procedure: the dome shaped screen that fits into your elbow, pack that up with a finely-ground mix, don't pack toooo tight but enough that when you hold it upside down the bud doesn't fall out (if you just drop bud in there and give a quick push down it'll stick). Attach the elbow and take some long slow draws, definitely thicker vapor and more efficient way of using the whip.

hereatlast,

Merq

hereatlast said:
A lot of people here would recommend a longer warm-up time for your cyclone bowl usage, somewhere in the 5-10 minute range.

For the whip, I think most people that start using the elusive 'elbow-pack' don't go back to the regular cyclone bowl. As for a procedure: the dome shaped screen that fits into your elbow, pack that up with a finely-ground mix, don't pack toooo tight but enough that when you hold it upside down the bud doesn't fall out (if you just drop bud in there and give a quick push down it'll stick). Attach the elbow and take some long slow draws, definitely thicker vapor and more efficient way of using the whip.
Nice. Good info. Thanks.

Merq,

MagicMists

finchrock24 said:
Can someone give me like a quick like bullet point list of the few essential things I need to do to get the most out of my Q?

Also, I see a lot of talk of preheating...I don't really need huge vape clouds or to get mind blowingly ripped...I just need to get high then go to sleep (of course, at some point or another, I'm sure I'll want to orbit every now and then). Is preheating necessary in order for the unit to be used?

Thanks all...this thread and site is wonderful.
If you just want to use the unit as you get it and not do the modifications "the electrician" suggests then here are my thoughts. I'm not going to write about using the bag so this is just about the whip.

Bullet points:

- turn it on and set it to 220C
- grind your herb as the more surface area the better but you're not after powder
- either put it in the cyclone bowl (not quite up to the black band) or pack the elbow (see below) or both
- after 5 minutes or so put the whip elbow into the cyclone bowl wait another 3 - 5 minutes
- turn the temp down (in my case it's usually around 175 - 180C)
- relax, inhale (long and slow or fast and hard as they have different impact), smile, exhale, mmmm..... tastes so good! smile some more. repeat.

Beyond the bullets:

Yes, you're getting a very good deal on a Q at that price!

The L shaped glass piece that has the whip tubing on one end and a screen set into the other end is called the elbow. That piece is inserted into the cylcone bowl and your herb will be in one or both of the pieces (cyclone or elbow or both). Putting your herb in the end of that glass elbow that has a screen in it is "packing the elbow". I usually use this method as it gives me richer, tastier hits. It does seem to require more attention as it's best to stir the herb in the elbow (with the little glass stirring rod that comes with the unit) after several hits to even out what's getting vaped. Otherwise you'll get to that burnt/nutty taste faster as the center area of the elbow gets the most heat.

Packing the elbow seems a bit weird at first because your herb is sitting in a glass tube end that is similar to a small hash pipe bowl in size and then it is turned upside down when you put the elbow end into the cyclone bowl. That's why people discuss tamping it in slightly so it won't fall out. Even if some of it were to fall out it just lands on the screen in the cyclone bowl. Per a tip from "the electrician" (and probably others) I like to pack the elbow by grinding my herb and then sucking on the whip while putting the elbow end over the herb like a vacuum cleaner. Then just a little press with my pinky and it's ready to go. That's easier and I'm less likely to drop any of the herb than when I try to pick it up and pack it in. Plus it's way more fun.

If you use the cyclone bowl (not a bad thing to do) and you don't pack it tight then your inhales will often cause the herb to stir itself (thus the Cyclone name) and that helps keep an even vaping of the herb and requires less attention. If I'm doing that I sometimes give a short, sharp exhale into the whip while it's sitting in the cyclone to blow the herb out of the elbow as it can get packed in there just from strong puffs on the whip. It'll all make more sense when you have the thing in front of you.

As far as preheating goes I do think it works best but you can still skip it and get pretty good results it will just take a little longer (meaning more inhales before you get a satisfying hit) and you might want to start at a higher temp and back off. IOW, if I'm in a hurry and don't want to spent 10 minutes letting it warm up I might just set it at 190C (which for my taste is on the high end of what I like) and when it gets there start puffing away. After 2 - 4 good puffs I'll back it down to 180, etc.

Usually I preheat the unit at 200 or 220 for 5 minutes or so. Then put the packed elbow on for a couple minutes or more (some would do both steps longer). Then I back the temp off to around 175C and see what I get as I inhale. It usually takes 2 - 3 pulls to get a substantial hit. Some herbs I'll use a lower temp and some a higher but I'm almost always in the 165 - 185 range. Since you say you don't need huge clouds I would try the lower temps mentioned as you'll get better flavor in my opinion.

As you said, the temps are all personal preference. Since I'm not hurting for high quality herb I focus on getting the best taste and not burning my lungs with temps that are too high. I can get ripped more easily than many. A tenth of a gram is about what I use when packing the elbow and that's pretty much all I need for one evening.

I agree this is a great site and was incredibly helpful in getting me up and vaping with the Extreme and now the Q.

vape4life

Banned for life
electrician said it well, I find that the most important thing is to preheat the bowl and even though others will disagree, I find even if utilizing the elbow pack method, that even preheating the herbs yields much bigger hits.

My temp range varies from about 190 to about 230 to brown the herbs for maximum extraction of goodness :)

Enjoy your Q!

vape4life,

spikeystud88

hereatlast said:

I tried doing an elbow pack yesterday and got a mouth full of herb lol. What did I do wrong? I packed it pretty tight, but the problem was when I pulled the herb of course goes up the elbow! Could someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong?? Thanks!

spikeystud88,

hereatlast

Not sure what you did? Did you pack the screen or just put bud into the glass? Nonetheless this has to be one of the most asked questions in all the Extreme threads, since this particular thread doesn't have this nice illustrated tutorial I think it deserves the bump.

DeepFried wrote:

Many fuckers have been asking how to set up the elbow method with the Extreme / V-Tower. Here is how I do it.
th_dscf2836-qpr.jpg

1. First grind up your bud finer than this. For some reason my grinder could not get this particular bud any finer. This is a perfectly measured amount, I packed it first and then emptied it out to show quantity.

th_dscf2839-qpr.jpg

2. Pack it in just tight enough to not fall out when placed into the cyclone bowl. Leave your cyclone bowl empty unless you are showing off and want to blitz some buddies. Suck on the whips mouthpiece and the air flow should feel slightly restricted, no restriction = pack a bit more bud and a bit tighter, too much restriction = give the elbow a quick stir and re pack a little looser.

th_dscf2840-qpr.jpg

3. Here is the nicely toasted remains, I really hit this elbow hard for photo purposes, with the last 2 hits at 260c and as you can see there are a few pieces that are too dark.

I understand some people like thicker/more concentrated hits, something that can be achieved by 'packing the bowl'. The younger crowd and bong users often like a thicker/more concentrated (and smokey) hit.

That can be easily achieved with the Extreme and V-Tower, it's probably something I should of mentioned before, because the method I'm about to describe is very popular in some circles and extremely popular with those who collect 'pollen' in their (Wicca) Kif Box.

Instead of filling the bowl as you normally would, leave it empty, turn the heat up a few degrees higher than normal, finely grind your herbs, (or use 'pollen powder' from a kif box) and then fill/pack the (dome shaped) screen that sits in the elbow shaped glass piece. You'll be surprised how much you can pack in there, now set the elbow on the bowl as you normally would, let it 'sit and percolate' a few minutes and inhale, that will give you a VERY thick, concentrated, monster size hit . If you're using Pollen from a Wicca Box you're getting a super tasty, super concentrated amount of the finest part of the plant so you can imagine the effect! Blowing balloons with the screen packed is my preference, as the concentrated/thick vapor can be harsh; the balloon helps greatly with that giving the air time to cool.

I tried this out earlier tonight and got rocked! The first hit was super thick, the second was thick, then the third and fourth were about done. I didn't pack the screen all the way full, but left a little concave at the top. Afterward I emptied the cap into the bowl and it looked to be about half of what I normally use in the bowl. This may be the thickest AND most efficiently I've used the Extreme!

spikeystud88

Quick question: where could I find a longer party-style whip? I'm not even sure where to start lol...

spikeystud88,

Mr. Smoke No More

Can't stop the head rush!
vape4life said:
electrician said it well, I find that the most important thing is to preheat the bowl and even though others will disagree, I find even if utilizing the elbow pack method, that even preheating the herbs yields much bigger hits.
True i used to always preheat my bowls/elbows of weed, but i find it is better not to, or for not too long anyways. It is more important to just let the unit heat up a little bit b4 starting. I find letting the weed simmer will give u a heavier first and second hit, but the latter hits are already cooked and not as good. Also while the herb is fresh in the elbow, rather than been heated for 10 mins, u get a much better flavour. :2c: IME i preheat the unit and empty cyclone for 10 minutes, pack an elbow, and can get thick vapour at 170-175C immediately, almost identical to if the unit has been on for an hour or with the weed preheated (except preheated varies as described above).

Another little trick i find useful when using the whip, basically the slower your draw or hit the thicker that hit will be. If you hit it too hard like a bong or something, the hits are kinda airy. Can anyone second this experience?

Mr. Smoke No More,

vape4life

Banned for life
Yes absolutely, I forgot to mention that. Slow is key. Still puzzled how you get thick hits out of an elbow at 175 without a preheat. My Q definitely can't do that.

Mr. Smoke No More said:
vape4life said:
True i used to always preheat my bowls/elbows of weed, but i find it is better not to, or for not too long anyways. It is more important to just let the unit heat up a little bit b4 starting. I find letting the weed simmer will give u a heavier first and second hit, but the latter hits are already cooked and not as good. Also while the herb is fresh in the elbow, rather than been heated for 10 mins, u get a much better flavour. :2c: IME i preheat the unit and empty cyclone for 10 minutes, pack an elbow, and can get thick vapour at 170-175C immediately, almost identical to if the unit has been on for an hour or with the weed preheated (except preheated varies as described above).

Another little trick i find useful when using the whip, basically the slower your draw or hit the thicker that hit will be. If you hit it too hard like a bong or something, the hits are kinda airy. Can anyone second this experience?

vape4life,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
i second that and also the fact that you can cut preheat time just by hitting your vape. the more air you draw over the heating element, the faster it will heat up in my experience and the faster you can start vaping your goods.
:2c:

illadelph,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
I just got my brand new Q today :D for a solid price...paid $190 for it. Unfortunately I can't vape the good herbs for 9 days...9 long, agonizing days that I have to stare at my Q with the potpurri sitting in their (at least it makes my room smell good AND i can play with the remote, which by the way is totally fucking wicked awesome).

I have been entertaining the thought of vaping some other herbs like peppermint or something. Does anyone else vape other herbs in the Q? What about mixing some peppermint and weed together?

finchrock24,

vape4life

Banned for life
Hey dude, congrats on the Q. Yeah forsure you can throw herbs in the bowl! I've only tried it with weed and peppermint tea and it was pretty awesome! But it's not something i'd wanna do all the time. Apparently it can be therapeutic. Just another method other than injection and injestion.

finchrock24 said:
I just got my brand new Q today :D for a solid price...paid $190 for it. Unfortunately I can't vape the good herbs for 9 days...9 long, agonizing days that I have to stare at my Q with the potpurri sitting in their (at least it makes my room smell good AND i can play with the remote, which by the way is totally fucking wicked awesome).

I have been entertaining the thought of vaping some other herbs like peppermint or something. Does anyone else vape other herbs in the Q? What about mixing some peppermint and weed together?

vape4life,

LOCKSTOCK93

Hey Ladies and Gents,

I'm looking for a bag substitute for the Extreme...any suggestions?

I figure, with the glass attachment and the elastics, any food grade bag would do, but if there are any ideas to save a few dollars, it'd be nice!

Thanks - happy vaping!

LOCKSTOCK93,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
jx80 said:
Has arizer been letting people trade in their older models and upgrade?
from the dealer announcement thread:

Rockwise said:
Hey all, Just wanted to let everyone know that I am extending an offer to all registered FC members: Email me directly for a discount on the purchase of the Extreme-Q Vaporizer, or Visit www.Rockwise.net and enter Coupon Code FC10 for a 10% discount off any purchase over $50 (before taxes). This offer is valid until January 31st, 2010.

Also, effective immediately I have implemented a trade-in program where customers who own an Extreme Vaporizer can send it in to receive a substantial discount on the purchase of an Extreme-Q. Contact me directly for more information.

Cheers,
Kevin
K.J. Rockwise

DeepFried,

Mr. ShawnJon

Johhny Blaze
Hey i just purchased a Q today pretty much exclusively for the bag system, I'm going to be burning exclusively good trees(ie OG kush,Haze,Sour diesel, and Bubble gum kush) am i going to be dissapointed i've been smoking for 15 years blunts and bong hits. now i live somewhere i cant smoke so i copped this guy. I mean is the bag system going to do the trick??? BTW this is going to be my first experience in the vape world

Mr. ShawnJon,

FEAR420

Mr. ShawnJon said:
Hey i just purchased a Q today pretty much exclusively for the bag system, I'm going to be burning exclusively good trees(ie OG kush,Haze,Sour diesel, and Bubble gum kush) am i going to be dissapointed i've been smoking for 15 years blunts and bong hits. now i live somewhere i cant smoke so i copped this guy. I mean is the bag system going to do the trick??? BTW this is going to be my first experience in the vape world
At first its all gonna be fun...but after awhile youre gonna start leaning more towards the whip & elbow packs.

FEAR420,

AlaskaExpress

Hello everyone,

I own a regular Extreme vape and a couple of days ago I accidentally undid a balloon thinking it was really easy to put back together but you can already tell where this post is going:p. Can anyone direct me towards instructions? I would greatly appreciate any information on how to have a proper bag going again:(.

PS; I tried going to Vaporpedia and followed the Rockwise link only to find out it doesn't exist anymore.

Thank you all in advance.
-Alaska

AlaskaExpress,

Persona Non Grata

turn on, tune in, hulk out
Mr. ShawnJon said:
you will not be disappointed in the least if you use it right. oy vay, that diesel would be tasty. I'm vaping some c99 right now, really does makes smoking taste like shit by comparison. try +-190C or so for best flavor with the Q

yea the bag system works good. takes like 2 mins to fill a bag. tastes pretty good. but like fear420 said the whip methods can get tastier, bigger hits, more efficiently IMO. but I used the bag for a good 2 months and loved it, before even trying the whip.

Persona Non Grata,

Persona Non Grata

turn on, tune in, hulk out
AlaskaExpress said:
Hello everyone,
I own a regular Extreme vape and a couple of days ago I accidentally undid a balloon thinking it was really easy to put back together but you can already tell where this post is going:p. Can anyone direct me towards instructions? I would greatly appreciate any information on how to have a proper bag going again:(.
PS; I tried going to Vaporpedia and followed the Rockwise link only to find out it doesn't exist anymore.
Thank you all in advance.
-Alaska
It is pretty hard to explain in words. did you throw away your manual? it explains it well. maybe someone can take a pic of their manual and post that. I just use a regular elastic band now, those little o rings are too tight to put on the oven bags I have.

vape4life said:
Still puzzled how you get thick hits out of an elbow at 175 without a preheat. My Q definitely can't do that.
I tried a Q for the first time a few days ago. with my E, I get the best hits at 170-175C. with the Q we had to go up to 185-195C or so to get the same hits. that is thick hits in the whip, elbow pack method, no preheat. I suppose that is just the more accurate heat sensors or whatnot on the Q. I think Mr. Smoke No More was talking about using an E.

Persona Non Grata,
Top Bottom