stickstones

Vapor concierge
To follow up on my earlier post about my initial combustion with my IQ....it seems to be working normally now and the smell is diminishing with each cleaning.

Couple of questions for those who have one..

1. Does anyone else have a hard time getting the silicone gasket on the two MPs to fit back in the device when switching back and forth? I find it to be ill fitting and a PITA every time so hoping there's a trick to it.

2. My pearl does not unscrew at all...it moves like it is unscrewing but I think the spike it sits on must be turning with it...anyone else have this problem?

3. The ABV is light brown no matter how long it's been used...get pulls and some clouds but very tuff to tell if it's cooked or not in general.

1 -- I notice that when swapping them out the zirconia part likes to slip out of the silicone. It's okay to shove it in place even if only the silicone is going in right, as the zirconia can wiggle in after it if you need it to.

2 -- My pearl was a bitch to loosen and I just went on faith that it would, and it did. But I had to turn it much harder than I wanted to for that initial unscrew. Before it came loose the screw would twist with it and bounce back into place when I let go. I wondered what would happen if it didn't loosen and it sounds like you may have found out.

3 -- What temp are you using? I'm a high temp guy and everything I throw in there comes out dark and crispy...just right. But I never finish a load on anything lower than smart path 3.

Jerel56

1 -- I notice that when swapping them out the zirconia part likes to slip out of the silicone. It's okay to shove it in place even if only the silicone is going in right, as the zirconia can wiggle in after it if you need it to.

2 -- My pearl was a bitch to loosen and I just went on faith that it would, and it did. But I had to turn it much harder than I wanted to for that initial unscrew. Before it came loose the screw would twist with it and bounce back into place when I let go. I wondered what would happen if it didn't loosen and it sounds like you may have found out.

3 -- What temp are you using? I'm a high temp guy and everything I throw in there comes out dark and crispy...just right. But I never finish a load on anything lower than smart path 3.

1. Yeah, it just turns and turns without unscrewing so remains seated.

2. I find getting the silicone to sit back in with a MP in it is very tricky and takes time as the sides of the silicone just keep getting pushed up if that makes sense...almost need a shoe horn like device...if you could put a MP in from the top of the hinged door instead of the bottom you could use force to snap it into place but the way it's designed makes it difficult.

3. Been trying different paths and the boost but will keep trying to get dark brown.

One more thing....agree that the 5 press on and off is a bit tricky with the recessed button...if not done quickly in timely succession it doesn't work...usually takes a cpl attempts.

ld

Can anyone tell me how to, or if you can go to a standby mode? Without drawing is it heating the contents while on? I've been manually shutting it down after a few minutes and then waiting for heat up again.

ld

When you go into boost mode, it will go into standby mode once you release the button. Then it stays in sleep mode and cools down until you push a button again, at which point it will resume whatever heating setting you were using when you activated boost.
Thank you for the next Info, is there any light patterns I should look for?

Volteric

I've been doing finer grind with 4pc grinder inverted, lightly tamped, loads. 4-.5.

Flavor chamber makes a noticeable improvement in flavor IMO. that being said, I tried it WITHOUT the flavor chamber last night and actually liked it a lot, absolutely no draw resistance which I'm more used to. I know this induces an air leak and doesn't keep the pure vapor path, interesting to try.

The pearl definitely reduces bowl size. That being said, it is hard to turn as the silicon post turns with it.

I'm also getting about two longer sessions with the stock battery before it's drained.

Minor complaint would be having to press 5 times to turn it on. Maybe I just need more practice, but the button is small and I find it difficult at times in my non-dominant hand. Seems like it'd be a challenge for an older user.

So that I understand you: You are grinding herb and putting it in both the bowl and the flavor chamber?

Volteric

No, just tried a few broken up nugs in the chamber. Didn't notice more draw resistance versus just the flavor chamber, taste was noticeably improved

Well, that makes me want to buy one. As I've mentioned I'm a flavor chaser. My dream is a portable vape that can taste eternally like the first draw! If this gets me closer to that than a crafty , grasshopper or pax2 I'm in.

BMvape

As a longtime happy Ascent user, I debate my need to make the upgrade to the IQ. However, stealth is a high priority for me and the size and improved load design have me very interested. The question I have not seen yet is how the smell is while in use compared to the Ascent? While using my Ascent, I always cap the glass mouthpiece with the rubber cap or cover with my finger between draws and when I'm done with a session. Does the IQ leak through the mouthpiece when not drawing? How strong is the odor when the unit is not in use? With no grill on the bottom, like the Ascent, I'm hoping the unit is more discreet. After years of use and routine cleaning, I can still tell what room I leave my Ascent in. This will probably be the deciding factor for me.

adam

Has anyone noticed the extended mouthpiece having a white discoloration after using it a few times in the hole as well as on the outside around the bottom of the stem. I haven't seen anything about it so i am wondering what is up woth my mouthpiece.

Reggie Watts

Has anyone noticed the extended mouthpiece having a white discoloration after using it a few times in the hole as well as on the outside around the bottom of the stem. I haven't seen anything about it so i am wondering what is up woth my mouthpiece.
Yeah, mine has that too.

Reggie Watts,
Reactions: vapen00b

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
That sounds weird... Are the zirconia parts only coated with sth. (What exactly??) that wears off?
Maybe a pic would help @Davinci_vaporizer comment on that?

Thanks for pointing that out.. Sounds odd

stark1

Lonesome Planet
I have found the perfect cooling accessory, unfortunately W9 tech no longer carries the piece. It is the original nibbler water device. The internal bore perfectly matches the 10mm mouthpiece for water cooled goodness in a tiny package. Much as I love this vape, my convective snobbery forces me to pass it along.
No loss of love for Davinci, they make great vapes! I will try and post a pic later of the nibbler comfortably seated atop the IQ. Vape strong!

YR prolly busy with a lot on YR plate, @mephisto .

When you have time, please post pics of your H2O cooler/ IQ match.
Would B awesome of you! :clap::tup:

stark1,

nacho257

Well, that makes me want to buy one. As I've mentioned I'm a flavor chaser. My dream is a portable vape that can taste eternally like the first draw! If this gets me closer to that than a crafty , grasshopper or pax2 I'm in.
@Volteric I definitely recommend the IQ if you're a flavor chaser.

On a separate note, can someone enlighten me how dark I can expect the ABV? Is it normal for a vape like the IQ to be able to go mid-dark brown only?

It's been years since I had my Pax OG. with the IQ I'm finding I can use it on its highest temp for ~10 mins, then use the ABV in my Daisy/underdog and be able to get 2-3 more rips from it.

I'm not saying I expect it to be near as powerful as those, just curious what "normal" extraction on a portable conduction is.

Trulukkyphrank

I'm very interested in testing different methods for using minimal herb amounts and getting best results in vapour production and taste. I really want testing by myself but still waiting for shipment..

for example: flowers ungrinded in the heat chamber, coarse grinded herb fluffy, fine grind pressed at the heat chamber bottom..

Trulukkyphrank,

Yukonman77

Im honestly thinking its just dead skin from lips. I know ecigs mouth tips would get that too, its gross but just natural i suppose. something else you gotta clean.
Personally this vape is just so dam inefficient. The amount of herb you need for any kind of vapor production is appalling, half a g? cmon. I mean .3 is the lowest it seems and the effects compared to a evo or crafty at half the amount will be a lot better. fuck, i guess now I know storz&bickel can pretty much never be surpassed at this point. If your down for using a bunch of weed its a perfect vape, i just dont know when i will use this because older vapes by years are more efficient lol. It desperately needs a spacer, not the ball which on mine i feel like ill break if i untwist it..and avb going into the vapor path and making a mess of the falvor chamber. Surprised I'm the only one feeling a little underwhelmed, despite things though it is great for what it is, just could have been so much better. How is the crafty so perfect?

Last edited:

elykpeace

exVASted
Im honestly thinking its just dead skin from lips. I know ecigs mouth tips would get that too, its gross but just natural i suppose. something else you gotta clean.
Personally this vape is just so dam inefficient. The amount of herb you need for any kind of vapor production is appalling, half a g? cmon. I mean .3 is the lowest it seems and the effects compared to a evo or crafty at half the amount will be a lot better. fuck, i guess now I know storz&bickel can pretty much never be surpassed at this point. If your down for using a bunch of weed its a perfect vape, i just dont know when i will use this because older vapes by years are more efficient lol. It desperately needs a spacer, not the ball which on mine i feel like ill break if i untwist it..and avb going into the vapor path and making a mess of the falvor chamber. Surprised I'm the only one feeling a little underwhelmed, despite things though it is great for what it is, just could have been so much better. How is the crafty so perfect?

I would try out the boundless cfv.. I thought hard about the iq and the cfv. I realize the iq is conduction and cfv is convection but am able to throw a pinch in and extract the goods. Takes 45 mins to charge and 55 bucks cheaper then iq a lot cheaper then s&b.

ld

Yuconman77

I'm totally confused by your opinion on the IQ? It could be me (63 years old) and take random hits during the day, it used to be my trusty MFLB all day long. Now, I take one or two at the most and turn it off, I'm able to use it most of the day. I haven't measured how much Im putting in, since supply is not a problem. I do not fill it up, I havent loosened the ball, do not clean it out after my hits until it's done. The taste and clouds from the first and second hit are great. I grind it with my Mix N' Ball grinder. Not micro or finishing grinder from magic flight. Everything is a very nice even brown when done. Over the years I've tried different ones, and was currently only using Lotus (pipe) and MFLB. This is replacing both.

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Ok, just ordered my stealth IQ; did not see the $51 credit at checkout. I fully trust having bought 2 Ascents, that it will materialize, lol Thank you @Davinci_vaporizer for all the support on this page. Can't wait!

The $51 credit is applied to your DaVinci User account after your IQ ships. The $51 in credits is for future accessory and vaporizer purchases.

It looks like the can is painted on the inside? Don't want to get flakes in my bud. :shrug:

Personally I am a big fan of grinding up a bunch of bud and packing it into a Doob tube for easy packing.

Been using this thing for a while now and the only 2 downsides that I can see is 1. The Pearl is slightly too small and let's herb fall out around the base getting stuck where it screws in. 2. I can't seem to get the Pearl unscrewed as it just snaps back into place. Other than that I can't find anything wrong. (makes for a great hand warmer for a night time stroll :tup:)

The Carry can is not painted it is anodized so there should be no flakes on the inside. The Carry can is more for whole nugs on the go. Although you can absolutely grind and fit more herb. Although the doob tube method is a great one! Done that one myself on more than one occasion.

The reviews that you have seen by the Vape Critic he talks about how the pearl was loose and easy to lose. The reviews that you have seen for the IQ from VC were of a pre-production sample. For the final production IQ's we increased the strength of the silicone post. The pearl is definitely more difficult to adjust however once adjusted it will stay firmly in it's adjusted position.

Please let me ask you this unanswered passage again - there's at least one additional guy interested ;) :D:

There are several thoughts and ideas for the app that are on a list for future improvements. There are also a ton of features that are on the "cutting room floor" that will also likely find it's way into future versions as well. The more feedback we get from you all on what you like, what you don't like, or what you would like to see in the app. We can make it happen.

1) Yes, a boost limiter for sure! I would never use the top temp.

2) May I assume if you set a smart path to less than 10 min, (i.e. 6 minutes) that means it will then shut off after 6 minutes?

3) (If you aren't using a smart path), can you simply program a shut off after X number of minutes?

1) A boost limiter or adjustment is a great idea that we will definitely consider. I can't really comment on if or when that would happen.

2) Currently you can set a Smart Path™ to run the course of its "path" in as quick of a session as you would like to set it. However you can not currently adjust when the vaporizers automatic 10 min shut off initiates. For example you can set a SP to run from 360-400 over 3 mins. At the end of that 3 min cycle your vape would idle at 400° for the next 7 mins or until you turned the vaporizer off.

This vape has so much versatility that I am now getting to try things I've never done before!

Btw, I like this vape a lot! I'll be posting thoughts here over time...a living review if you will. Feel free to suggest things to try and I'll see if I can give it a go!

Thanks for the kind words brotha!

Some random thoughts...

I would not recommend using it without the flavor chamber installed. That is going to gum up the inside walls with oil that will make it a bitch to install and remove the flavor chamber later.

I ran my first ten bowls with some degummed hemp fiber in the flavor chamber and thought the unit was weak. Turns out I had too much fiber in there. When I pulled it out it was nice and gummy and vaped really well, and the IQ started performing like a champ. So I recommend getting to know your IQ empty first before going for infusion.

I'm having good sessions with a full load tamped or not. I'm also leaving my pearl fully extended and taking up 30%ish of the oven space. I'm getting good results with a load tightly packed that is half full or more after packing. Less than 1/4 full after tightly packing will vaporize but the clouds get thinner. Las night I threw a whole nugget in there and loved it, but I haven't done a post inspection of the abv yet (I know, bad stickstones).

As my pictures showed, the oven doesn't stain if emptied and brushed immediately after use. One bowl of reclaim in hemp fiber stained it immediately, though. I like hitting it native, but last night I tried the nibbler and liked it. Vapor was thicker without the bubbler, obviously, and the unit does such a great job of cooling without it that I won't use that much...but it is a perfect fit!

I'll start weighing loads now and testing different packs for light loads and report back. Now that I know what it works best with I can start quantifying that.

I did do a temp test of the bowl and was impressed. I placed my temp probe in the middle of a ball of hemp fiber to simulate a full bowl. The temps lagged behind the display by 100F at first and then by about 60F at the top end. But remember I am measuring the center of the load while the IQ is sensing the outer walls. After about 30 extra seconds at 446 to soak it stabilized to 445/446, which is incredibly accurate!

The unit gets pretty warm after a long session on high temps. My wife is not a vaporist and thought the unit was hot when she touched it. I've done this test with her in the past with other vapes and she is on the sensitive side for that test. No part of the exterior gets hot enough to injure, even on the sensitive lips. So for most it will feel like a nice hand warmer, like the log vapes, and for a very few it will will feel hot. I expect no more than a few of complaints about the outer temperature...it gets warmer than the Pax, but will feel normal to most vaporist.

The IQ makes an audible clicking sound that reminds me of a geiger counter. It's very faint and only noticeable when it is within about 18 inches of your ear. It does it anytime it is heating, so it's pretty constant. It doesn't bother me, but it's unique and noticeable.

The app is easily the best I've ver seen. I hate apps that are required, and this one is not. In fact, after initial testing I don't use it at all anymore. I'll use it occasionally to mess with the smart paths, but after that I can do everything I want without it...yay! The interface is cool and effective.

I've been using it almost exclusively since the weekend and am very happy with it. With a rotation of two or three batteries it feels like a workhorse.

Fantastic report on your experiences @stickstones, I'm sure that everyone appreciates your opinion and your on-going reviews and comments about the IQ.

No, just tried a few broken up nugs in the chamber. Didn't notice more draw resistance versus just the flavor chamber, taste was noticeably improved

That is actually the best way to load it and not create any clogging or extra draw resistance. I like to take a nug and just kind of pinch it between my fingers and roll it until it starts coming out like a little nug torpedo and then load that in.

As a longtime happy Ascent user, I debate my need to make the upgrade to the IQ. However, stealth is a high priority for me and the size and improved load design have me very interested. The question I have not seen yet is how the smell is while in use compared to the Ascent? While using my Ascent, I always cap the glass mouthpiece with the rubber cap or cover with my finger between draws and when I'm done with a session. Does the IQ leak through the mouthpiece when not drawing? How strong is the odor when the unit is not in use? With no grill on the bottom, like the Ascent, I'm hoping the unit is more discreet. After years of use and routine cleaning, I can still tell what room I leave my Ascent in. This will probably be the deciding factor for me.

When designing the IQ we wanted to take the great aspects of the Ascent and carry them on. Also we wanted to improve as many if not all of the faults that our users found with the Ascent. When the device is not in use you shouldn't sense any odor unless your nose is up too the mouthpiece where there might be resin. In addition the IQ has a more solid oven door rather than the vented grill and swivel door of the Ascent.

Did your mouthpiece arrive with this discoloration? Or did you notice this over time? It could be some sort of residue that is building up have you tried wiping with an alcohol wipe?

That sounds weird... Are the zirconia parts only coated with sth. (What exactly??) that wears off?
Maybe a pic would help @Davinci_vaporizer comment on that?

Thanks for pointing that out.. Sounds odd

The Zirconia parts are not coated or dyed with anything. Zirconia is molded in white and then it is baked to gain it's black color and polished to get it's shine.

Baron23

I measured a couple of packs last night.

Loosely filled and not tamped - 0.18g
Packed full and as tight as possible with a finishing grinder - 0.3g

A full pack is to the top of the ceramic and below the black silicone...no need to pack above the ceramic. I don't see how I could ever get half a gram in this thing.
Thanks @stickstones - exactly what I wanted to know! Fine grind, tamped well, .3 g's max. Good to know.

Top Bottom