• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Belkin WeMo WiFi Power Outlet

macmurray

Just got the best companion product to the VXC. The Belkin Wemo Switch (http://www.belkin.com/wemo/). I'm sure some of you guys are using this or something similar, but thought I'd share anyway. It's basically a plug in and you connect it to your home wifi and then install an iPhone app. Then from the app you can give or cut power to whatever is plugged into the unit. In the case my Cloud. So I just leave it switched on all the time and can turn it on or off (or both to reset the timer) from my iPhone, from anywhere! Another room of the house or from my office! Now I can always come home to a pre-heated Cloud! If you can't tell I'm super excited about this! Best part is, they're only $50.

Modnote: The following 40 posts were moved out of the VXC thread.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Just got the best companion product to the VXC. The Belkin Wemo Switch (http://www.belkin.com/wemo/). I'm sure some of you guys are using this or something similar, but thought I'd share anyway. It's basically a plug in and you connect it to your home wifi and then install an iPhone app. Then from the app you can give or cut power to whatever is plugged into the unit. In the case my Cloud. So I just leave it switched on all the time and can turn it on or off (or both to reset the timer) from my iPhone, from anywhere! Another room of the house or from my office! Now I can always come home to a pre-heated Cloud! If you can't tell I'm super excited about this! Best part is, they're only $50.

You sir are my hero... I was just looking for something like this... Seriously like I was just on amazon looking around. You basically just read my mind. :borg:

Marvc

Yeah buying this first thing Monday morning. Now a way to access it without wi fi now that would be priceless.

Edit: Actually I'm going to wait and see what people think about it.

Marvc,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
... set up a "schedule" for the WeMo that I have the Cloud plugged into, to turn off every 55 minutes, and then turn back on after, I wouldn't have to pay attention when I want to have it one for a few hour period in the evenings, or mornings, etc. Just a thought.

That is my exact thought. I am hoping I can set it up to power cycle every 50 minutes or so. I am hoping that will work. Nothing worse then missing the reset cycle and having it be cool when you next to go use it.

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
That is my exact thought. I am hoping I can set it up to power cycle every 50 minutes or so. I am hoping that will work. Nothing worse then missing the reset cycle and having it be cool when you next to go use it.

I just read a review of the WeMo on iLounge...part of it mentions a feature that can turn things on and then back off, but doesn't mention any ability to do the opposite :shrug: lol
iLounge said:
...you can set one or more timers to automate on/off status, including “turn on” or “turn off,” as well as “turn on then off,” each change separately timed, with each timer limited to specific days of the week. Third, the app integrates with a web-based service called IFTTT (If This Then That) that lets you create more complex controls that are activated over the Internet...

Either way, no deal breaker for me. I will probably have one of these, and a review, tomorrow.

Purpl3_Haz3,
Reactions: Stu

Johny Chaos

This sounds like a fantastic idea, I'd be worried about when turning "ON" the switch it might overload the VXC due to it being in the "ON" position.

Johny Chaos,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I'm personally eyeing that Swagger Double HydraTube. Does anyone have that yet? Videos? I would love to see some videos of that Double Perc HydraTube in action. Slightly Medicated? StoneMonkey55? Please?

Also, video of Devastator? I thought that was coming soon ;-). Thanks guys. You rock!

I don't have any of the swagger pieces. I would make a video otherwise. I will still make a comparison video of the tubes I do have. This past month has been so crazy I can't even tell you.... so i am way behind on all my "work".

I just got back from the store and picked up a WeMo:

8017054382_e08e457b1c.jpg

I am going to mess around with it and let everyone know how it works.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just got back from the store and picked up a WeMo:

I am going to mess around with it and let everyone know how it works.
I'm very interested in this too, SliM. I only saw 2 reviews; one said it worked perfectly, the other said it didn't work at all.

If it works for you, I'll be picking one up tomorrow. I love the idea of turning it on while driving home from work so that it's all ready for me the moment I arrive.

:peace:

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Well it worked... not like it blew up my cloud or anything when it switches off/on. There are a few things I noticed. You can't set up a rule too for instance turn off then on every 50 minutes. You can set up individual off and on commands though. For instance you could set the device to turn off at 4:19pm. You set up a 2nd rule to turn the device on at 4:20pm. That will essentially power cycle the device. You would have to set that up as a set of two different rules every time you wanted to power cycle. You would have to set up like 48 rules if you wanted the device to power cycle every hour over a 24 hour period. Does that make sense?

It is really easy just to open up the program and power cycle the device manually. I think for now I am going to stick to doing that.

There are a few questions I need answers for. The major one is does the phone application need to be running in the background to execute rules... or do the rules get sent to the device to "auto execute" regardless of if the phone is connected to the net and running the program or not. I would also be curious to know what happens once the device looses it connection to the wi-fi. Often times when devices run for long periods of time they will need to be power cycled to re-connect to wi-fi. I am hoping the reset is simple and I don't have to go through the whole process over and over every week.

I am pleasantly surprised though. No more calling home and telling my partner to switch on the device 10-15 minutes before I am home!

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Well it worked... not like it blew up my cloud or anything when it switches off/on. There are a few things I noticed. You can't set up a rule too for instance turn off then on every 50 minutes. You can set up individual off and on commands though. For instance you could set the device to turn off at 4:19pm. You set up a 2nd rule to turn the device on at 4:20pm. That will essentially power cycle the device. You would have to set that up as a set of two different rules every time you wanted to power cycle. You would have to set up like 48 rules if you wanted the device to power cycle every hour over a 24 hour period. Does that make sense?

It is really easy just to open up the program and power cycle the device manually. I think for now I am going to stick to doing that.

There are a few questions I need answers for. The major one is does the phone application need to be running in the background to execute rules... or do the rules get sent to the device to "auto execute" regardless of if the phone is connected to the net and running the program or not. I would also be curious to know what happens once the device looses it connection to the wi-fi. Often times when devices run for long periods of time they will need to be power cycled to re-connect to wi-fi. I am hoping the reset is simple and I don't have to go through the whole process over and over every week.

I am pleasantly surprised though. No more calling home and telling my partner to switch on the device 10-15 minutes before I am home!

The app doesn't need to be running. The rules are stored 'online' and are in effect regardless of the app being open or not. Also, t I believe (this one I am not as certain on as the former answer) that the device stores the info of your wifi network, in itself...so that if the power goes out, etc, it will retain it's settings to save you the hassle up re-connect. I think this, because it says that the wemo switch can be plugged into one ac outlet, to perform setup, then can be moved to another afterwards, without additional setup.

Glad to hear it didn't blow up! I will be ordering one of these...I'm excited to have wireless control of my Cloud!

Edit* To once again quote the iLounge article that I read yesterday,
iLounge said:
The WeMo app can be controlled from two places—at home over your Wi-Fi network, and optionally when you’re away from home on a cellular or separate Wi-Fi connection; this is enabled by default, and just works. It’s also incredibly easy to set up. We had only a brief, one-time hiccup when setting up the first of two Switches during testing, which resolved itself after an iPhone restart. Otherwise, the Switches were easy to add to our home network, and quickly rejoined every time we disconnected and reconnected them. Every on-off flip happened immediately, and critically, the timed activations occur even if the app isn’t active; rules are stored on the Internet, rather than solely within the app. The overall user experience with the app is great, considering what it does.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I just moved the device from one outlet to another. I can confirm that it kept the settings somewhere on my network/device. Everything was back up and running in about 30 seconds. The unit is kind of big and had to find a spare plug where it fit.

I guess the biggest hassle would be for someone who wants to set up the rules to power cycle every hour. It might take some time to get each individual rule set up, although once you are done it should be rather automated. I might even e-mail Belkin and describe my needs and see if they can update their program to allow for a every X number of minutes do Y rule. I think a software update could potentially include that ability.

I feel pretty confident so far that the WeMo is not doing any damage to the Cloud.

When I come home from dinner, I am going to really give it a test. I want to see if I can flip it on once I leave the restaurant, and have it warmed up and ready to go by the time I am home. That would be AMAZING!

I turned off my phones wi-fi and just tested it using 3G/Cell service. It is really really neat to watch. You can see the status go orange for a moment as it sends the signal through the cell network to the outlet. I can just imagine the signal traveling all over the world/cell network to come right back here and turn off the outlet... man tech is cool.

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I just moved the device from one outlet to another. I can confirm that it kept the settings somewhere on my network/device. Everything was back up and running in about 30 seconds. The unit is kind of big and had to find a spare plug where it fit.

I guess the biggest hassle would be for someone who wants to set up the rules to power cycle every hour. It might take some time to get each individual rule set up, although once you are done it should be rather automated. I might even e-mail Belkin and describe my needs and see if they can update their program to allow for a every X number of minutes do Y rule. I think a software update could potentially include that ability.

I feel pretty confident so far that the WeMo is not doing any damage to the Cloud.

When I come home from dinner, I am going to really give it a test. I want to see if I can flip it on once I leave the restaurant, and have it warmed up and ready to go by the time I am home. That would be AMAZING!

Yeah, something tells me that with the current/future IFTTT (IF This Then That) implementation, and a little help from Belkin, we might have a solution to the automated 1+ hour sessions.

I'm going to live vicariously through you, until I get my WeMo...excited to see if it's heated up when you get home from dinner!

Purpl3_Haz3,
Reactions: ogcook

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
VapeXhale guys, can you confirm if its safe to leave the Cloud in an on position and have a power cycle occur threw the outlet using like a WeMo or a timer box? Would it be best to put it in the outlet then power strip then cloud or power strip, wemo, then Cloud. Thanks :-)

I don't think it is going to cause any problems. I have been using similar switches with my electronics/light for years without issue. The only thing different about this one is the wi-fi/app component. I think it is probably best to keep a surge protector somewhere in the mix. I am thinking outlet/surge protector/WeMo/Cloud is the safest bet.

Although, I would be interested to hear VapeXhales take on it.

Here is a screen shot of the program:

8017473470_331f33da7c.jpg

...i ment how long is it suppose to stick out the bottom

They stick out about 1/4th of an inch from the bottom.

mmafighterthe25

I don't think it is going to cause any problems. I have been using similar switches with my electronics/light for years without issue. The only thing different about this one is the wi-fi/app component. I think it is probably best to keep a surge protector somewhere in the mix. I am thinking outlet/surge protector/WeMo/Cloud is the safest bet.

They stick out about 1/4th of an inch from the bottom.

sounds good thats what mine probably is thank you sir.

mmafighterthe25,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation

From the WeMo's standpoint, going Wall outlet -> Surge protector -> WeMo -> Cloud, would be the best way. According to an employee on the belkin wemo support page,
Belkin said:
It's physically possible to plug a surge (protector) into the WeMo, but the WeMo is not designed to pass that much low voltage and it will void the warranty

In other words, plugging the WeMo into a surge protector/powerstrip = okay. Plugging a surge protector/power strip into the WeMo = not so okay.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
From the WeMo's standpoint, going Wall outlet -> Surge protector -> WeMo -> Cloud, would be the best way. According to an employee on the belkin wemo support page,

In other words, plugging the WeMo into a surge protector/powerstrip = okay. Plugging a surge protector/power strip into the WeMo = not so okay.

Sweet, sounds like I was on the right track. The only annoying thing about that is the plug takes up quite a bit of space surge protector.

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Sweet, sounds like I was on the right track. The only annoying thing about that is the plug takes up quite a bit of space surge protector.

Exactly my thoughts. This has me searching to find a surge protector that may have more strategically placed outlets, to replace my current one. I have seen ones before, that are larger, but have the same number of outlets; leaving far more room between outlets.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Exactly my thoughts. This has me searching to find a surge protector that may have more strategically placed outlets, to replace my current one. I have seen ones before, that are larger, but have the same number of outlets; leaving far more room between outlets.

Something like this would work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BP112230-08-Pivot-Plug-Surge-Protector/dp/B000JE9LD4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348443234&sr=1-2&keywords=Belkin surge protector

or

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-D080B-...F8&qid=1348443356&sr=1-2&keywords=power+squid

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation

Indeed! Both look like interesting, and cool options! Now I'm kind of curious about the power conditioners, etc. I wonder if the cloud would 'run smoother' or have potentially better longevity using something like that in-line.

Purpl3_Haz3,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Do they have one of these things that works off an android app?

edit: think Homeseer might do it, but costs a fucking fortune

JDSupreme,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am on my way home now and just turned on the device. I will post again when I get home and find out if my unit is ready. Here is hoping it works!

Edit: Made it home and was pleased to see a green light waiting for me when I checked to see if the Cloud was ready.

Edit Edit: They have a tie-in with IFTTT.com so you can set up tasks (called Recipes) for it to automate. For instance if my stock rises above X then send Y e-mail. If it is Sunday post on Twitter "Yay Sunday!"... stuff like that.

The WeMo has the ability to turn off, turn on, or toggle off/on (meaning if it is on it will turn off, and if it is off it will turn on)

You can also set it up to activate at a certain time every hour... here is the draw back you can only choose on 15 minute increments. Currently, you can not set it up in such a way to toggle off and on with out waiting 15 minutes between. Soooo... right now the IFTTT.com integration does not work for what we need. Although, I can see them updating it to allow you to set it for more then 15 minute increments. Than you could set up two Recipes one to turn the device off every 15 minutes after the hour and one to turn it back on every 16 after the hour.

Edit Edit Edit: Man no one is posting... so I keep editing. Anyway, I figured something out and I think it worked. I set up two Recipies at IFTTT.com They both basically do the same thing. If it is 00 minutes past the hour the WeMo will toggle off/on.

I thought maybe the Recipes would execute in a Que one after another. Sure enough I sat and watched at the top of the hour (5 minutes ago). At 9:00pm it powered off and then about 15-20 seconds later it powered back on.

I am going to keep the two Recipes running and check in every hour to see if it works. I figured when I go to bed I can just turn off the device at the unit. That will prevent it from running through the night while I sleep. There are some other drawbacks to think about. Like how I turn the Recipe off while I am away.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I am on my way home now and just turned on the device. I will post again when I get home and find out if my unit is ready. Here is hoping it works!

Edit: Made it home and was pleased to see a green light waiting for me when I checked to see if the Cloud was ready.

Edit Edit: They have a tie-in with IFTTT.com so you can set up tasks (called Recipes) for it to automate. For instance if my stock rises above X then send Y e-mail. If it is Sunday post on Twitter "Yay Sunday!"... stuff like that.

The WeMo has the ability to turn off, turn on, or toggle off/on (meaning if it is on it will turn off, and if it is off it will turn on)

You can also set it up to activate at a certain time every hour... here is the draw back you can only choose on 15 minute increments. Currently, you can not set it up in such a way to toggle off and on with out waiting 15 minutes between. Soooo... right now the IFTTT.com integration does not work for what we need. Although, I can see them updating it to allow you to set it for more then 15 minute increments. Than you could set up two Recipes one to turn the device off every 15 minutes after the hour and one to turn it back on every 16 after the hour.

Edit Edit Edit: Man no one is posting... so I keep editing. Anyway, I figured something out and I think it worked. I set up two Recipies at IFTTT.com They both basically do the same thing. If it is 00 minutes past the hour the WeMo will toggle off/on.

I thought maybe the Recipes would execute in a Que one after another. Sure enough I sat and watched at the top of the hour (5 minutes ago). At 9:00pm it powered off and then about 15-20 seconds later it powered back on.

I am going to keep the two Recipes running and check in every hour to see if it works. I figured when I go to bed I can just turn off the device at the unit. That will prevent it from running through the night while I sleep. There are some other drawbacks to think about. Like how I turn the Recipe off while I am away.

Thanks, SliM. Are there instructions for the tie in with IFTTT.com that come with the unit? Or did you do some Columbo work to figure that out?

Sounds very promising.

I'm still hoping for an app that cleans my glass and grinds my bud.

:peace:

Top Bottom