• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Belkin WeMo WiFi Power Outlet

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
RadioShack carries them in store. Using their website you can check if your local store has one.

bummmmmer. I wish that radioshack was listed on the belkin site lol. The belkin wemo pages says that the it's only available at BestBuy, Amazon, Apple stores, and the one and only belkin store in the whole country.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Check the electronics section of your local Costco as well.

OT2KS.jpg

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Got my WeMo...It's amazing! Loving everything about it, and loving my Cloud even more!

Also, is this something new, SliM? IIRC you mentioned that you could find a 'on then immediately back off' command, but not an 'off then immediately back on' command...looks like they may have fixed this :brow:

4af35c1058943bdef811.jpg

Saw this when I was setting up my IFTTT.com account/wemo

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Got my WeMo...It's amazing! Loving everything about it, and loving my Cloud even more!

Also, is this something new, SliM? IIRC you mentioned that you could find a 'on then immediately back off' command, but not an 'off then immediately back on' command...looks like they may have fixed this :brow:

Saw this when I was setting up my IFTTT.com account/wemo

Thanks for letting me know. I had not checked recently since everything was working with the recipes I had set up. You are right thought they added that recently. If anyone wants my recipes you can fined them here:

https://ifttt.com/people/slightlymedicated

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I must've done something wrong 'cause it didn't work for me. :|

Stu,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I created a recipe to turn the WeMo off and back on at the top of every hour. It does indeed work. I was just in there and watched it power cycle.

I created one as well, just before I saw yours. It worked like a charm, albeit a couple minutes late...never the less, it power cycled in a matter of a second or two :) I'm getting used to my Clicks, the cloud has little clicks...the WeMo has big ones lol.

I still cannot get over how instantaneous the switch/Cloud turn on and off with the tap of my finger, on my homes WiFi network. Surprisingly, even when I disconnect from WiFi, and go 3g, I still get pretty snappy response (a few seconds at most.)

I am liking the combo of the built in rules, and the IFTTT.com integration. I would like just one thing; either the ability to turn on and off my power cycle recipe from the iPhone, via an IFTTT.com app, or to have "off then immediately on" added to the short list of rules in the iPhones WeMo app. Currently, in the app, AFAIK you can only set a couple rules, Turn off (or on) only, or Turn on then off. If they would add the Turn off then on, I personally wouldn't need IFTTT.com aside from the back up of being able to 'text' my cloud on and off, in the event of lack of data service. Edit* by the way, took about 7 seconds from pressing 'send' on my iPhone to shut off my cloud via text message.

Either way, I am extremely, extremely satisfied with the combo of Cloud and WeMo. I recommend it to any vaporizer user, really. I think that I will purchase a few more if I ever see them on sale, or if they get cheaper. They're not bad, but at current price, I really only need one. If they were cheaper, say in a bundle of 2 or 4, etc, I would probably get a few though. I can just imagine the automation now!

Edit*

I must've done something wrong 'cause it didn't work for me. :|

I made one at first, for every 45 minutes past the hour, and when it didn't work, i just deleted it...try first of, setting it for more than 15 minutes in the future (think I read something about that?? ) and wait at least a couple, to a few minutes after when you set it to power cycle. Also, watch the wemo, or listen for the click...it doesn't take long for it to turn off and back on.

I'd set it for '45 minutes past the hour' if you can stand to wait another 25-35 minutes, and wait until at least 50 past.

Purpl3_Haz3,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I'll be damned.... it did work. About 3 minutes late, but sure enough it worked!
:peace:

yea they seem to be a few minutes late i general. I was wondering if my clocks were off, but I noticed it is like 1-2 minutes past the hour that it actually activates.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Purpl3_Haz3

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Thanks for letting me know. I had not checked recently since everything was working with the recipes I had set up. You are right thought they added that recently. If anyone wants my recipes you can fined them here:

https://ifttt.com/people/slightlymedicated

Word of caution using the 'Off then On' every hour recipe...If you leave this recipe on, and turn off the wemo swtich, when it comes to the hour (or whenever the recipe is set to 'turn off then turn on') your cloud will turn on.

I just tested this, before bed, and luckily was here to see it turn on...I guess logically thinking, I could have known it would work that way, but a heads up anyhow! If I hadn't realized this, and shut this recipe off before bed, or leaving the house, my Cloud would have turned on, on the hour, and then stayed running continuously...not a big deal, the cloud can take it, but a potential risk otherwise...I don't want it on, when I don't want it on lol. Also, it uses electricity, I don't know how much, but it uses electricity, which costs money, I only want it on, when I want it on :)

So, just be careful, and remember to turn your recipes off, when not using them, specifically those that do things like, auto off, then on. Even if the wemo is already off, the auto off then on command will turn it on.

Still loving this WeMo, and having my Cloud heated when I get home, everytime, and never having to power cycle it now! A dream :love: come true

Purpl3_Haz3,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I noticed the same thing, Purpl3. I have been powering down the Cloud instead of turning off the recipe (just being lazy). Of course if I wanted to be able to turn it on remotely, I'd turn the recipe off. But I'm still getting the hang of this. I had a recipe fail today that left my Cloud cold for a few minutes, but thankfully I survived.

Last edited:

Your Highness

Cannasseur
I used Slim's recipe all weekend and it was a pleasure to walk in and see a green light every time. Needless to say it was a very Cloudy weekend indeed... :)

I noticed the same thing, Purpl3. I have been powering down the Cloud instead of turning off the recipe (just being lazy). Of course if I wanted to be able to turn it on remotely, I'd turn the recipe off. But I'm still getting the hang of this. I had a recipe fail today that left my Cloud cold for a few minutes, but thankfully I survived.

I also just power down the Cloud and keep the recipe running. My extended sessions will likely be kept to just the weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I thought this was funny. I had to re configure my wemo because it lost network connectivity. So when I was setting it up I had to take a new picture to replace the default wemo image.

My first time testing the on/off funcionality I hit the image on the left by accident. :rofl:

They do bear some similarity to each other, don't you think?
m90z0x.png

:uhoh:

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I thought this was funny. I had to re configure my wemo because it lost network connectivity. So when I was setting it up I had to take a new picture to replace the default wemo image.

My first time testing the on/off funcionality I hit the image on the left by accident. :rofl:

They do bear some similarity to each other, don't you think?
m90z0x.png

:uhoh:

Quite similar indeed! Wow :D

I like mine, for now...I will probably edit it in the near future, so that the color around the Cloud is the same grey as the rest of the 'switch.'

VapeArts

Lucid Dreamer
I purchased my two pack at Costco today. Dropped one on the tile floor while opening it. One of those hard to get into flat cardboard sealed plastic bubble encased items. Slit the plastic bubble with a box cutter and pried the plastic open. WeMo fell out. No apparent damage but it would not work when I plugged it in. No light came on and no show on my network. They use some sort of triangular shaped screw heads on their screws so I couldn't open the unit to see if I could do anything to it. Nothing moves when I shake it so I dunno. Back to Costco it will go. I believe the normal Belkin packaging would be easier to deal with than the Costco two pack but if you shop at Costco you are probably used to dealing with this sort of packaging.

The other unit lit right up and i was able to get it configured pretty quick. A few minutes later the app offered to update the firmware so I did that. Only took a minute or two though the app said it could take 10 minutes. The app works great turning it on and off. Instantly via wifi and a 1 second delay using 3G.

I signed up for the IFTTT site and ran Slim's recipe. I just watched it work for the first time, watched my Cloud turn off, then on from across the room! Wow! Thanks Slim!!! Thanks to macmurray for bringing this to our attention! I love home automation and have been using X-10 devices (unrelated to the WeMo) since they came out... was that in the 1980's?

BTW, I'm using the app on my iPad. The App Store says it is for the iPhone but as expected it works fine on the iPad. I was happy to discover that I could also control the WeMo from my wife's iPhone as I was concerned only one device/app could control it.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
My device has pretty much been working flawlessly since the last post. I think the firmware has updated once or twice with no real issues. I went and checked out my recipes today. They have been downloaded some by others... that is pretty cool. Also the recipe that power-cycles my cloud every hour has activated 201 times so far since I have started using it.

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
My device has pretty much been working flawlessly since the last post. I think the firmware has updated once or twice with no real issues. I went and checked out my recipes today. They have been downloaded some by others... that is pretty cool. Also the recipe that power-cycles my cloud every hour has activated 201 times so far since I have started using it.

I think I adopted your power-cycle recipe after you created it, yet mine has been used more? lol

"created October 06, 2012
last triggered about 10 hours ago
triggered 212 time"

Mine is also running smoothly, and has, through a couple of firmware updates. The only issue I've had, was coming home to a cold Cloud one day, as my ISP was doing to upgrades, causing us to loose connection for a couple hours. Still loving my Cloud& WeMo :love:

Top Bottom