The accidental fast food thread

Angus Thermopyle

miner of truth & delusion
A Conspiracy of Hogs: The McRib as Arbitrage

http://www.theawl.com/2011/11/a-conspiracy-of-hogs-the-mcrib-as-arbitrage

One of McDonald’s most divisive products, the McRib, made its return last week. For three decades, the sandwich has come in and out of existence, popping up in certain regional markets for short promotions, then retreating underground to its porky lair—only to be revived once again for reasons never made entirely clear. Each time it rolls out nationwide, people must again consider this strange and elusive product, whose unique form sets it deep in the Uncanny Valley—and exactly why its existence is so fleeting.

The theory that the McRib’s elusiveness is a direct result of the vagaries of the cash price for hog meat in the States is simple: in this thinking, the product is only introduced when pork prices are low enough to ensure McDonald’s can turn a profit on the product. The theory is especially convincing given the McRib's status as the only non-breakfast fast food pork item: why wouldn't there be a pork sandwich in every chain, if it were profitable?

Another mystery solved!

Angus Thermopyle,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

djonkoman

Turkish Pizza? Any more info on this?
it's a pizza-like piece of dough(but more flexible, like bread or so), rolled up like a wrap or pancake, with various toppings in it(I don't really know wich, but I do know lettuce is one of them)
wikipedia has this to say about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahmacun
(those pictures on the wiki don't look like how I know them bought from turkish snackbars, this image from google does look familliar: http://cdn1.simpelkoken.nl/sites/default/files/styles/medium/public/turkse-pizza.jpg?itok=qWwPIP-a )

SD_haze

Chik-fil-a & In-n-out are both my fast food top picks.
High realization: they both have two dashes in their name :rofl:

I haven't been to subway in years.
I make a mean cold (or toasted) sandwich all by myself hehe

2798284138_e1a35da738.jpg

In-N-Out%20Animal%20Fries.jpg

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
That is truly a priceless picture!! Words cannot describe how insatiable that looks!!
Need that in FL stat!

Best burger I've ever had...Triple Prime Cheddar from Ruby Tuesday.
Although I do love Hardee's(which i hear is close to Carl's Jr?) and can enjoy a Steak n Shake Double cheese.
Other than that, not to many other great burger choices outside of mom n pop places.

Where I grew up, this was what you ate at 4am after a nite at the bars.
Travel Channel's #7 World's Best Places to Pig Out!!
Primanti Bros in the Strip, Pittsburgh, PA
Steak patty/corned beef (they have others, but these are were the best sellers)
Provolone cheese
Hand cut fresh french fries
Cole slaw(more of a vinegrette slaw)
Tomato slices
All stacked between fresh, thick @ss, Italian bread
Copius amounts of alcohol prior to ingestion, eat late at night, pure heaven!

Cool thread!! Love the pics you all post.

Silver420Surfer,

YeeeBuddy

In N Out is the shit when it comes to fast food burgers. There is one about 100 yds from my work so i eat it at least 3 times a week( I have a crazy metabolism ) They opened a Jersey mikes across the street and after getting used to their subs i cant eat subway without getting grossed out, its definitely more expensive but so much better, they slice the meat for your sub on the spot. I like this thread I am a fast food junkie, I know it isnt good for me but it doesn't seem to matter what i eat i don't gain/lose weight so I eat what makes me happy LOL.

Edit: OMG that last pic, Animal style fries + a double double puts me in heaven. For those who dont have access to In N Out animal fries are normal fries with a slice of cheese melted On top + grilled onions + Special sauce(thousand island) its pretty amazing I like to add some ketchup to the party.

Last edited:
YeeeBuddy,

Hexi

Edit: OMG that last pic, Animal style fries + a double double puts me in heaven. For those who dont have access to In N Out animal fries are normal fries with a slice of cheese melted On top + grilled onions + Special sauce(thousand island) its pretty amazing I like to add some ketchup to the party.

Take another look. Bossman got himself a 3x! Not just a dubdub!

There is a Shake Shack clone out west, here in SF they call it Super-Duper Burger. It was definitely good, but not even close to shake shack.
2012-4-9-ShakeShack-01.jpg

Look at those tomatoes! Those are ROMA tomatoes, perfectly ripened. None of that beafstake, mealy bullshit that most places have. Also notice how green and fresh that lettuce is! None of that pre-pack shredded iceberg bullshit like McDs.

What you can't tell from this pic is just how fucking unbelievable the buns are! yes, the fucking BUNS are the most amazing hamburger buns I've ever had. You guys can't understand, I had ZERO expectations or considerations about the buns.

On the left is the Shack Stack or something, it's a burger, with a deep fried, cheese filled portabella on top.

My only regret from my Shake Shack visit was that I only got a single patty burger. Once I tasted it, I realized I should have just sat down and ate 30 of them since I wouldn't be seeing them again for at least 1 year :)

This is Super Duper. Close, but missing out on a few key points.
7A2253B1-F290-49D4-9936-B654F6251FFA.JPG

The sesame seed buns seem nice, but they aren't nearly as soft as Shake Shack or InandOut Lettuce and tomatoes are nice looking, but not quite as fresh as Shake Shack.

Duper does better fries than Shake SHack tho, nice garlic parm fries. However I can get those off any food truck out here (had some 2 nights ago) so nothing special.

Super D also has fresh made organic lemonade and iced tea, which is very nice, much better than the fountain soda at In and Out. Shake Shack had a ton of diff hipster drinks, right up my alley.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Take another look. Bossman got himself a 3x! Not just a dubdub!
Yeah, I noticed immediately that it was a Triple-Triple in that picture. I used to regularly get a "4x4".

Fun fact: In-N-Out will make a burger with however many patties and slices of cheese that you want. It's not on the menu of course, but if you ask for it, it will be made. The most I ever personally saw was an 8x8.

Source: I used to work at In-N-Out in the mid '80s

:peace:

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
@Hexi
:mmmm:Fried Cheese, Burger.. I'm a sucker for a no nonsense, good burger.
.....Source: I used to work at In-N-Out in the mid '80s
Ever heard of the 'Flying Dutchman'.. LOL when we were kids, my older bro talked my younger bro into ordering it instead of a double double.. The reaction was pretty funny :uhh:.. From the name, he expected something impressive, but it was a little less than impressive :lol:

I used to get 4x4's all the time too.. When I go there now, I like to get 2x Double Doubles -Animal Style, w/ some Animal Style Fries..
I recall hearing some talk of them limiting the amount of patties they will stack.... then I just saw a picture of the 100x100 :D

clukx

oh my god all of these pictures look amazing where i am we have no in n out or shake shack or carls jr or anything like that..
we have hardees and white castle though! five guys is good but have you guys tried bagger daves? omg and they have "craft sodas" that are amazing too...

lwien

Yeah, I noticed immediately that it was a Triple-Triple in that picture. I used to regularly get a "4x4".

Fun fact: In-N-Out will make a burger with however many patties and slices of cheese that you want. It's not on the menu of course, but if you ask for it, it will be made. The most I ever personally saw was an 8x8.

Source: I used to work at In-N-Out in the mid '80s

For those that don't know about In-N-Out's secret menu:
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/los-a...820: 13 Reasons To Road Trip To Newport Beach

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I had that Naked Chicken Chalupa. Was wholly OK. Would rather have a legit chicken chalupa with that sauce to be honest for the .50 more. Definitely not my favorite.

Oh and to whomever referred to Wendy's as "frozen crap" they ain't lying it's fresh never frozen lol I worked at Wendy's for years growing up. The chicken and fries are frozen but the meat is refrigerated and never frozen. Says in big letters on box too, "do not freeze" comes on truck in fridge and the boxes are with all the veggies that are also fresh and never frozen.

But wendys is not as good as it used to be. They made changes to the meat at some point when I was on my way out....don't know how to describe it but Wendys circa 2007-2011 was much better. They also used to legit cook and flip on a griddle and when I was working there they changed to big presses and that also lowered quality imo. It used to take me on average 3-5 minutes for a burger to cook on the old grill, the jrs take a minute and the normals take 1:45 using the presses so while the time to cook lowers IMO it took something from the taste.

I have shit for fast food around me. By my house I have a DQ, a Wendys, a Mcds, and Arby's about 5 minutes away. There's a subway too.

If I go another 10 minutes I get Mcds, Wendys, subway all again, another Wendys lol, and a Taco Bell.

Closest BK is 15-20 minutes the other direction and I never go there cause I'm not often in that area. There is more and more fast food (and food period) if I go towards BK tho and if I'm out that way id rather sit down at Mad Mex or Buffalo a Wild Wings or some other chain

Fast Food situation around me sucks. Decent bar/townie/local grub but as far as chains ain't nothing around really.

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
Has anyone tried the naked chicken chalupa from Taco Bell? I'm going to pull the trigger today. Wish me luck!

1485452859_0d12ed5117d66308ac5d12096a41f5e0.jpg
Is there extra meat inside that taco, or is it just a fried chicken shell w/ a salad in it? I hate Taco Bell w/ a passion, still I wanted to try that new Chalupa, but if there's not an extra choice of meat in it then I'm not as interested :nope: IMO Taco Bell is garbage anyway :smug: I'll prolly still try it though :spliff: just not in any hurry...

Buildozer,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
@HellsWindStaff

Better than me! Nearest McD is a twenty minute drive. There is also a Sonics down the street from that McD, but since it takes over half an hour to get anything whenever I've made the mistake of going, I don't count it really.

Any other form of fast food is an hour drive, and that's just for the other typical Taco Bell, Burger King, Wendy's fare.

The legendary In-N-Out's and White Castles are just an illusive pipe-dream for me.

seaofgreens,
Top Bottom