The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
I have no love for the deluded ideology of libertarianism.
Johnson and his ideology want to people to be free to be as bigoted as they want to be without government interference for one thing.
I posted the Johnsons party platform and it is full of antigovernment nonsense.
Why Libertarianism is BS
1,2 and 3 of 10 reasons. I can post the rest and will when needed:)

"1. It's impossible. Libertarianism is impossible except for survivalist nutters and hermits. Humans need a social structure because we're a social species. Trusting that humans can moderate their own behavior on their own is just a fantasy. If we were as sparsely distributed as wolf packs, we could get along in our small groups without intervention from a higher authority in theory.... but the matriarch or patriarch would be the higher authority so even that isn't strictly libertarian. Anyway, we're long past the point in evolution where we could manage our behavior without a formal structure. Michael Shermer theorizes the optimal size for a human community to manage without any oversight is about 150. Those days are gone."

2/ "It's naive. It assumes people are basically good. This is a nice thought, and a refreshing break from the Christian belief that all people are sinners who need to be saved, but it's just plain wrong. Just as we differ in our DNA we differ in our personalities. Some of us will go through life making very few decisions that negatively impact others, and some of us are sociopaths. At its best, government protects the truly good from the sociopaths. Without a government, we would be reduced to lynch mobs which can only avenge bad deeds, not prevent them. And we certainly wouldn't have something like the FBI, which can trace the path of a serial killer from one area to the next based on DNA evidence, etc. I think the people who believe that "survival of the fittest ergo libertarianism" probably assume they are the fittest themselves. They don't think that they would be the victims of a sociopath."

3/ "It's cold-hearted. For example, regulations about safety in cars aren't needed because over time car companies would be forced to make safer cars or they'd go out of business. So the people who died in fires caused by exploding gas tanks in Ford Pintos, or in wrecks caused by the design of their Corvair were just collateral damage in the evolution of better cars. People who died because of unregulated businesses did nothing to deserve that fate, except perhaps not be able to afford better cars. And the pseudo-Darwinism of libertarianism really doesn't care what the strong do to the weak. Rich and powerful people are good and deserve to be rich and powerful. The poor and powerless deserve what they get."
Not sure where you are coming from on some of your points. But the sociological slant I do like. Very few people actually weigh things like group dynamics and sustainability or social contracts. FTM.
You seem to confuse libertarian with some form of anarchism. Not all that uncommon. Even anarchism believes in group structure. They also believe that people can form a small group, solve a small problem an dissolve said group.
I don't need a matriarch or patriarch or a 'leader' of any type. Just a good administrator. Will check out M. Shermers musings tho'. But not seeing the direct correlation here.

Libertarianism doesn't mean someone can form a lynch mob. It protects the individual from said groups. They draw the line right where harm comes to another person. How would they possibly handle environmental pollution? Severely protected property rights. If someone intentionally causes harm to another, they would be arrested in a Lib gov whether it was a hate crime or they simply assaulted someone unprovoked.

Any group with power can push a single person in the corner, presently. Libertarians are entirely against that. Protect the rights of the individual. Just what are you going on about? What government has been accused of if preventing those who wish to do good or come up with a better idea
It allow those who want to form a commune or collective or social groups to do so. So you can form that 150 tribe in the desert and conduct your social experiment. Everybody shares their duties. Just don't harm your neighbors. Short version 'Your Liberty to swing your arms ends where my nose begins.' The regulations and talk about removing things like the EPA is more on the cold-hearted wild west that you envision. Admitting, the average person doesn't have the time to sort out political theory, they want job security the first.

My point in my last post was that Gary doesn't sound like the less flexible definition you describe. And Gary says he unlike other candidates, will admit when he is wrong. He didn't try to do all the extremes that you mentioned. But seeked solutions in many cases. He didn't remove whole departments or demagogue any group. Unlike the two parties.

I don't absolutely subscribe to any political philosophy and are skeptic of all claims made by any candidate and will delve a little deeper if it passes the initial smell test. What I was trying to convey in the last post is that he (Gary) already has a different tone from the others from the onset, he understands and mentions what power that he actually will have once in office and will work with congress as opposed to shaking things up. He doesn't feel he can rightfully declare war without congress approval. Only the Executive power allowed by the constitution not an extension for more power over people like the Democrats or Neo-cons.
I will put out an old time classical argument as an example where some will split with the movement. :myday:Admitting, there are some subjects that someone who is more accustomed to the 2 party construct could see the extremes and are not comfortable with others having the same freedom they themselves willfully exercise. "I simply don't trust others with making their own personal decisions." Well true , I can see both sides of the argument of somebody owning say a lunch counter and not wanting to give service to someone unlike them. That owner paid their taxes, they payed for their property. They should be able to decide who can be served in their restaurant. If somebody comes in and starts trouble and upsetting customers, they should be ejected. Right? But as you can point out, that same person could kick a person of another color, race or belief system due to their unfamiliarity of said person. The naive view is that particular owner will lose business by not allowing more customers to sit at their counter. Like a person who only hires white racist people are missing out in a much larger pool of possibly good employee candidates. And the lunch counter across the street will get all the business and all the talent to pool from. So they are a success and the racist either turns over a new leaf or face bankruptcy. Unfortunately, if you live in a small town where there is only enough town revenue to support one counter then their is no competitor. There is no lunch counter to compete against. So the bigot/racist/nativist runs a segregated lunch counter.
So the crux of the problem is when there is less choices. More choices = more friendly competition.

When government limits your choices, free-er ideas are stunted. Sometimes it is better to work through a solution without necessarily limiting choices with knee jerk laws.
Truth is, if we properly enforced the laws we already have, there wouldn't be a need for all these secondary laws to correct the oversight problem. We wouldn't have to have such a large government that shrinks the choices and freedoms of the individual and comes up with more agency to solve a problem instead of making the current ones take on a wider and deeper responsibility.

Wow did I just type all that?:uhh: Well try to vote your conscious this year. I'm going to see who Trump's troll of the day...:peace:

Last edited:

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
Libertarianism doesn't mean someone can form a lynch mob. It protects the individual from said groups.

They draw the line? With what do they draw the line? No effective government means no one to stop said behaviors. Remember the key word: FreeDUMB.
And I am not confusing anarchists with libertarians.
Although the end result of a libertarian "society" would be akin to anarchism.
And that group in the desert that you used, could decide they needed the women from the group 2 miles north of them. Who would stop them?

Silat,

Silat

Libertarianism continued as it is needed:)
4/ "It ignores history. We haven't always had a U.S. government. It's only a little more than 200 years old. But we do know earlier forms of society. We've had monarchies. We've had theocracies. We had the ancient Roman & Greek systems that privileged people with money owned. Modern democracy certainly has its failings, but would we really be better off returning to "less" government considering what our previous systems gave us?"

5/ "It's not natural. The underlying assumption of libertarianism is that government is an artificial construct that interferes with natural behavior, which they believe works just fine on its own. There's no evidence that humanity could have survived without some form of social organization. The instinct for survival that causes some to climb to the top of the heap and others to hide from the climbers just doesn't result in a society that works for large numbers. It probably won't work for small numbers, either."

6/ "It ignores human failings. We no longer live in family groups in tiny villages, and if Libertarianism became the "law" of the land, we would pretty much have to go back to that. In our distant past, we helped each other within our own group and competed against other groups for resources. Surviving without a government would require all of us to gather into small groups for protection and predation. Child abuse and spousal abuse would again be perpetrated with no recourse. Victims of alcoholism or mental illness would have no access to services, and their families would suffer. A small group's only hope of survival when "infected" with a defective member would be to ostracize that member."

CuckFumbustion

Libertarianism continued as it is needed:)
4/ "It ignores history. We haven't always had a U.S. government. It's only a little more than 200 years old. But we do know earlier forms of society. We've had monarchies. We've had theocracies. We had the ancient Roman & Greek systems that privileged people with money owned. Modern democracy certainly has its failings, but would we really be better off returning to "less" government considering what our previous systems gave us?"

5/ "It's not natural. The underlying assumption of libertarianism is that government is an artificial construct that interferes with natural behavior, which they believe works just fine on its own. There's no evidence that humanity could have survived without some form of social organization. The instinct for survival that causes some to climb to the top of the heap and others to hide from the climbers just doesn't result in a society that works for large numbers. It probably won't work for small numbers, either."

6/ "It ignores human failings. We no longer live in family groups in tiny villages, and if Libertarianism became the "law" of the land, we would pretty much have to go back to that. In our distant past, we helped each other within our own group and competed against other groups for resources. Surviving without a government would require all of us to gather into small groups for protection and predation. Child abuse and spousal abuse would again be perpetrated with no recourse. Victims of alcoholism or mental illness would have no access to services, and their families would suffer. A small group's only hope of survival when "infected" with a defective member would be to ostracize that member."
Not sure where you are trying to make your points, but I'll try to get with it on some sort of level. How does it ignore history? Some Libertarians are also into constitutionalism. Others base there conservatism on some of the Greek principles of Democracy. They know many of the founding fathers were Deists living through the historical "Age of enlightenment" not evangelical Christians. There is a framework of a working government with a large military defense to defend us from outside invaders. Notice I said defense. More decisions with law enforcement would happen on the State and local level. Bill Weld even would consider expanding the FBI so that there is less shenanigans going on in the states.
I'm not going to touch upon your point #5. Frankly being governed never felt 'natural' to me in anyway. Governments aren't natural entities that are tuned to the spirits of nature.

on to Point #6. Which is better treating drug addiction as a health issue or incarceration? A person who becomes an addict isn't a criminal. Putting them in prison might make them turn into criminals. It it known as a 'victumless crtime'.
Yes you could say it cause indirect problems and issues for the person with the addiction. But should we throw them in jail for harming themselves. Most government systems say yes. The leader of the Philippines an extreme example of this.

When a law an order leader is loosing favor they need a scapegoat or whipping boy to misdirect there failed policies. This is one of the failings of handing over your freedom to a 'leader' and succumbing to groupthink.

That same addict should in a freer society can seek proper treatment. Gary Johnson answers that question head on in the CNN town meeting. He only wants to legalize MJ on the federal level. Not all the other drugs. So he isn't a pure ideologue. However many feel drug policy is a state level decision. Are you starting to get the picture now. It isn't some Mad Max hellscape. More of a manner of where personal responsibility lies and who is meant to enforce those laws.
A town or state could issue an 'eyesore' crime not allowing people to toke on their front porch or other local laws that deal with their special problems.Alaska might not have to deal with all the same issues as NYS. A state boarding another country might have other concerns or have native Americans nations within their state. Or they might have over 800 miles of coast line. There are some decisions best left to the states. States rights are huge with many libertarians.

Victims of alcoholism or mental illness would have no access to services is my argument. Anybody who wants to seek help shouldn't have to worry about recourse from the law. Drug and alcohol addiction is a mental health issue, not an incarceration issue. Stealing is an incarceration issue. How the State government handles it is up to them and possibly their drug courts. Big Government does more than 'ostracize' drug addicts. A jail sentence rarely helps someone turn their life around. Drug treatment centers and understanding what are the causes will save lives and help those seeking recovery.

Libertatinism is small federal government with an emphasis on states rights and individual rights. I would rather have a bigot speak their mind and have somebody speak against it publicly, then any form of suppression of speech.
Civility and respect should be encouraged socially. Social norms will still exist. Child abuse is assault. Spousal abuse is assault. You might want to dig a little deeper and see what actually worked in MASS and New MEX under both Govs and tell me where they differ from your own interpretation.

! was just entertaining your 150 number as a social experiment you could conduct under a free society. :peace:

CuckFumbustion,

Gunky

When I look at libertarianism I see republican low taxes and low regulation taken to the nth degree and gussied up as some sort of world of perfect freedom for everybody. It's really a variation on marxist dreams of the state withering away: utopian future worship. In practical terms, it isn't going to happen any time soon because we actually need government and regulations to stop the strong and wealthy from abusing the weak and poor. So the actual net effect is to bolster the anti-government kamikaze wing of the republican party. My guess is most libertarian politicians are perfectly aware of that and good with it.

CuckFumbustion

When I look at libertarianism I see republican low taxes and low regulation taken to the nth degree and gussied up as some sort of world of perfect freedom for everybody. It's really a variation on of marxist dreams of the state withering away: utopian future worship. In practical terms, it isn't going to happen any time soon because we actually need government and regulations to stop the strong and wealthy from abusing the weak and poor. So the actual net effect is to bolster the anti-government kamikaze wing of the republican party. My guess is most libertarian politicians are perfectly aware of that and good with it.
We have to quit giving power to the rich for anything like that to ever happen. Lack of transparency is the other contention I have. We don't properly enforce property rights, so we make more laws and regulations, they don't get properly enforced and more bad laws are created and so it goes. Many of these regulations that are written into law go unchecked or nobody even has their eye on the ball. in a few cases nobody was assigned to even enforce certain laws in some cases. Some people assume that it is congresse's job to write more laws. We technically break laws often without our own knowledge. Sometimes you have to 'work the system' just to get around certain sand traps that were created for you.

True Some Libertarians, Liberals and Republicans, Marxists, and Bern supporters are equally drawn to the utopian future worship you mention where everybody has a place in it. Many more are more pragmatic. A large Government by it's very nature can't solve certain types of problems and certain problems are best handled on the local level. When the Federal government simply gives money to a state to help their local program, there is politics involved. If the federal government is over reaching in every aspect of life. Then that takes away the focus of making things fair for those being 'exploited'. If you chase two rabbits at once, you don't catch any.

Under a two party system you sadly have to play the game. Instead of coming out and saying what positions you stand for and run ont hat platform you have to compromise to an extent of it to fit into either slot.

The closest thing we can come to any sort of 'Utopia' is if we only have to think about what the government is doing a small amount of our time, and we vote occasionally. There is no beltway. No choosing between someone who is overqualified vs someone who is under qualified. you are simply voting on what you think is best for the country. Not the evil of two lessers :peace:
300px-New_Harmony_by_F._Bate_%28View_of_a_Community%2C_as_proposed_by_Robert_Owen%29_printed_1838.jpg

Marxism is the opiate of the intellectuals.

Last edited:
CuckFumbustion,
Reactions: CarolKing

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
This past week Trump exposed the Republicans as suckers, idiots or worse. Trump has shown that he is not a normal candidate. He is a political bull charging wildly out of control. And no, he cannot be changed.

He cannot be contained because he is psychologically off the chain. With each passing week he displays the classic symptoms of medium-grade mania in more disturbing forms: inflated self-esteem, sleeplessness, impulsivity, aggression and a compulsion to offer advice on subjects he knows nothing about.

His speech patterns are like something straight out of a psychiatric textbook. Manics display something called “flight of ideas.” It’s a formal thought disorder in which ideas tumble forth through a disordered chain of associations. One word sparks another, which sparks another, and they’re off to the races.

Trump insults Paul Ryan, undermines NATO and raises the specter of nuclear war. Speaks less than honorable about a prisoner of war. His handlers can’t control Trump’s brain because Trump can’t control it himself.

He also cannot be contained because he lacks the inner equipment that makes decent behavior possible. So many of our daily social interactions depend on a basic capacity for empathy. But Trump displays an absence of this quality.

He is a slave to his own pride, compelled by a childlike impulse to lash out at anything that threatens his fragile identity. He doesn't have the capacity to admire or serve anything bigger than himself or to want to learn about anything beyond what effects him.

Republicans are not going to be able to help the 70-year-old man/child grow up over the next 12 weeks or so. They aren't going to be able to get him to withdraw from the race either. A guy who can raise $82 million mostly in small donations has a passionate niche following. Clearly a bunch of nut cases.

Republicans can at least get out of the enabling business. First, they can acknowledge that they are being sucked down a rabbit hole and they can tell each other they did it to themselves.

They allowed a crazy, big mouthed bafoon to take over their party.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
The youth of our country :tup:

A new poll has Trump in fourth — behind Gary Johnson AND Jill Stein — with young people

imrs.php

Jill Stein of the Green Party, Rocky Anderson of the Justice Party, Rep. Virgil H. Goode Jr. (R-Va.) of the Constitution Party and Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party wait to be introduced at an Oct. 23 debate. (Getty Images)

A couple of weeks back, I asked whether it was possible that Donald Trump might lose millennial voters to a third-party candidate, Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson.

Well, a new poll shows him losing young voters not just to Johnson, but also to Green Party nominee Jill Stein.

The McClatchy poll shows Trump pulling just 1 in 10 votes — 9 percent — among Americans under 30 years old. Hillary Clinton is at 41 percent, while Johnson is at 23 percent and Stein is at 16 percent. Trump is basically tied with "undecided," which is at 8 percent.
  1. Hillary Clinton (D) 41%
  2. Gary Johnson (L) 23%
  3. Jill Stein (G) 16%
  4. Donald Trump (R) 9%
Source: McClatchy/Marist poll

It's important to note here that, as with other subsamples of young voters, the poll did not test a large number of them — only 15 percent of the 983 registered voters that Marist College polled for McClatchy, or about 150. That means there is a very high margin of error.

But it comes on the heels of plenty of other evidence that Trump is struggling — mightily — with the youngest American voters.

more:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article93789227.ece/BINARY/Complete data for the McClatchy-Marist Poll

:myday:

TeeJay1952

@CuckFumbustion. I like my Uncle Chuck but he isn't going to be relevant either.
Attention third parties: Start now to build national base. Local election and state election victories are necessary to have a place at the table. Screaming; What about me! at this late date with no underpinnings (Other than Vermin and Stripper) looks like an attempt to piss the punch with no chance of success.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker

lwien

So I'm on Clintons campaign email list and I just got this. Made me chuckle....:lol:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I’m Jessica and I help run our online store -- and today, I need your opinion. It’s no secret that we’re big fans of voting here at Hillary for America. I mean, there are mornings when we literally vote on what we're going to eat for breakfast!

So we want you to get involved in our next voting project: We’re putting together some special, new, limited-edition magnets and we want to know which one is your favorite.

Just click the image of the one you like best!

When all the votes are cast, we’ll tally them and get to work on making your favorite.

Last edited:

Silat

We apparently disagree so I will just leave it at this:
"A Day In The Life" (of a Libertarian)
(Apologies to Lennon/McCartney)
"He read Ayn Rand today oh boy
About a selfish prick who made the grade
And though the man was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
He sounded halfway daft
He had a heart made out of stone
He didn't care that some were hungry now
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was spawned from hell's hot floor?
I saw a film today oh boy
Based on a behemoth by Ms. Ayn Rand
A crowd of critics turned away
But I just had to look
Having just read Rand's book
So full of lowbrow schlock.
"Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across his head
Found his way downstairs and turned on FOX
And angrily he pulled on both his socks
Found his hat and grabbed his cane
So the homeless he could brain
Found his way to work and had a smoke
And someone spoke and he dreamt of Atlas Shrugged."
I read Ayn Rand this year oh boy
Four thousand pages of puerile hot air
And though her thoughts were rather small
Some fools are still in awe
Now they know how many moochers they can look down on
They'd love to turn you on . . . ."

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I thought Assange would be bringing a bombshell on Bill Maher? It was a dud I thought. If I thought he was being equal far as finding info regarding the RNC, I guess I would understand his motives.

You know that Trumps computers and phones are just as vulnerable as Hillary and the DNCs. It sounds like we are all at risk not matter what we do.

Trump sounds so fake and sing song when he's reading from a script. It sounded fake endorsing the republicans after the fact. After everyone in his party was pissed.

grokit

well-worn member
Could Trump have been right?
Propaganda film suggests Iran DID videotape cash-drop plane and photograph shipment of cash during January prisoner swap

"Iranian state-run media in Tehran did indeed videotape the arrival of a January 17 flight carrying $400 million in cash from the United States – and the money itself – judging from a documentary that aired the following month in the Islamic republic."

36E7DDD300000578-3725770-image-a-18_1470413299219.jpg

• February documentary that aired on Iranian state-run TV shows nighttime flight, pallet of cash matching prisoner-swap scenario reported this week
  • Donald Trump claimed three times this week that he had seen similar footage and that Iran had filmed the cash transfer to embarrass America
  • He walked back that claim Friday morning, saying he had only seen archival footage of a different plane delivering hostages safely to Geneva
  • He may have been right without knowing it: Propaganda broadcast shows the images and boasts the deal was great for Iran but terrible for the U.S.
more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...raph-shipment-cash-January-prisoner-swap.html

Last edited:

lwien

Yet the cash was brought to iran, just like he said and there's even a film and photos of it.

Yeah, but it's not close to what he described. Not even in the same ballpark so the headline of "Could Trump Have Been Right", to me, is totally bogus.

lwien,

grokit

well-worn member
Yeah, but it's not close to what he described. Not even in the same ballpark so the headline of "Could Trump Have Been Right", to me, is totally bogus.
The headline asked a question, and only suggests that the scenario depicted in the film was the same as the one drumpf was describing. What in particular do you disagree with, as far as the evidence that the article brings forth, about the film that aired on iranian tv back in february? They don't say that the film is depicting the exact cash, just a scenario that:

"...described this plane as arriving in the dead of night with the money, exactly the scenario that Donald Trump was criticized for describing three times this week".

@ReggieB "The copy of the documentary footage DailyMail.com obtained is not of high enough quality to determine which nation's banknotes are depicted."

Last edited:
Top Bottom