The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, this should help Trump get all thos Bernie voters he is after... ;)

Pence becomes the most far-right running mate in modern history
07/15/16 12:39 PM—Updated 07/15/16 01:42 PM

Donald Trump talked with Time magazine the other day, and was asked about his impulsive decisions and erratic instincts, but the Republican presidential candidate waved off such concerns. “I’m a very stable person,” he said. “I’m so stable you wouldn’t believe it.”
The rollout of his vice presidential nominee offers some proof to the contrary.

It’s official: Mike Pence is Donald Trump’s running mate. Trump announced Friday in a tweet that he has selected the Indiana governor to run on the GOP ticket with him in the fall. […]
The announcement came after a day of confusion about whether published reports about his choice of Pence had been premature, with the candidate insisting late Thursday night that he had not made a “final, final decision.”

Consider the chain of events over the last 24 hours or so. First, Trump settled on Pence and scheduled an event for 11 a.m. (ET) Friday. Soon after, Trump became “irritated” by the media leaks and decided the deliberations would continue. After last night’s attack in Nice, France, Trump impulsively announced that Friday’s event would be postponed, out of respect for the victims, though he nevertheless attended a fundraiser and made multiple media appearances last night. Trump added that the “final, final” decision about his running had not yet been made.

After telling donors he’d make the formal announcement on Saturday, Trump instead decided to break the news on Twitter this morning – right around the time of the postponed event. (Why Trump could make an announcement at 10:50 a.m., but not host an event at 11 a.m., is unclear.)

But remember, he’s “so stable you wouldn’t believe it.” Perhaps he meant that literally, since it’s so obviously difficult to believe.

As for the Indiana governor, regular readers know I’ve followed his career pretty closely for many years, and we’ll have all kinds of detailed coverage as the campaign progresses, but on this first day, I think it’s important to emphasize a foundational point: Mike Pence is almost certainly the most right-wing vice presidential nominee of the modern era.

About four years ago at this time, Nate Silver published an interesting analysis of Paul Ryan, who’d just been named to Mitt Romney’s ticket. Nate wrote at the time, “Various statistical measures of Mr. Ryan peg him as being quite conservative. Based on his Congressional voting record, for instance, the statistical system DW-Nominate evaluates him as being roughly as conservative as Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota.

By this measure, in fact, which rates members of the House and Senate throughout different time periods on a common ideology scale, Mr. Ryan is the most conservative Republican member of Congress to be picked for the vice-presidential slot since at least 1900.”

Nate added a chart, highlighting the fact that Ryan’s record put him slightly to the right of Dick Cheney, who was slightly to the right of Dan Quayle.

But before Pence became governor, he was an accomplished member of Congress – which means we can turn to the same DW-Nominate statistical system to get a better sense of the Indiana Republican’s ideology. And the data shows puts Pence well to Ryan’s right.

In the 107th Congress (Pence’s first, covering 2001 and 2002), for example, out of 435 members of the U.S. House, Pence ranked #428 – meaning that 427 members were to his left, putting the Hoosier on the far-right-wing fringe. The results were roughly the same in the 108th Congress and the 109th.

By the 110th Congress, Pence was at #432, putting him to the right of nearly everyone in the chamber. The results were roughly the same in the 111th Congress and the 112th.

Let’s put this another way: during his congressional career, Pence wasn’t just more conservative than Paul Ryan. His voting record also put him to the right of Michele Bachmann, Todd Akin, Steve King, and even Louie Gohmert. That’s not an exaggeration.

Bachmann, Akin, King, and Gohmert all had voting records less extreme than Mike Pence.
Indeed, the Indiana Republican developed a reputation on Capitol Hill as an ineffective extremist who, despite 12 years in Congress, was literally never the chief sponsor of a bill that passed into law.

Now, Donald Trump wants to put him one heartbeat from the presidency.

grokit

well-worn member
I think at heart Dumph is a real dyed in the wool chicken shit (a paper thin skin proves this), but with other people's lives and money he'll be bold and reckless.
0606ChickenHawk.jpg

Gunky

So in the end he went for the double-whammy: 1 fascist and 1 rabid, bigoted theocrat; 2 flaming assholes . Pence declared in 2011 that he was prepared to shut down the government in order to defund Planned Parenthood.
Check out the new logo, which looks like Trump sodomizing Pence:
15-trump-pence-logo.w529.h529.jpg

grokit

well-worn member
Pence and insensibility
Mike Pence’s loose grip on reality is almost as bad as Trump’s

In an uncharacteristically straight-faced manner, Donald Trump has announced Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as his pick for vice president.

I am pleased to announce that I have chosen Governor Mike Pence as my Vice Presidential running mate. News conference tomorrow at 11:00 A.M.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 15, 2016

There are some Republican politicians who have tiptoed around whether climate change is human-caused and a real problem, embarrassed by their party’s anti-science reputation. Pence is not one of these Republicans. He is one of your old-school, Flat-Earth science deniers. In fact, he’s been more consistent in his climate denial than Trump, who backed climate action when it was in vogue to do so, before he called climate change a Chinese hoax.

According to the League of Conservation Voters, when Pence was in Congress he voted 201 times against environmental interests and just 18 times in favor. As governor, Pence has sued the Obama administration over its Clean Power Plan and had his state suspend its planning to comply with the plan. He also led the House GOP battle against reproductive rights and Planned Parenthood during his 12 years in Congress.

Overall, Pence has given us a helluva record to comb through. Here are a few choice quotes:

“Global warming is a myth.”

“Global warming is a myth,” Pence declared in a Kyoto-era op-ed on his website, dug up by BuzzFeed. “The global warming treaty is a disaster. There, I said it … The chant is ‘the sky is warming! the sky is warming!’. The only problem is that many Americans, including Vice President Al Gore, didn’t learn of their deceit the last time around and are buying this new bit hook, line and sinker.”

The best part is his conclusion: “I know Monica Lewinsky seems like the most important issue in America but, call me crazy, I think the quiet expansion of the liberal environmentalist agenda by Al Gore and Clinton White House that will cost thousands of jobs could be more important. Say no to the global warming treaty.”

“I’m all for clean coal technology.”

In 2009, he told MSNBC, “I’m all for clean air. I’m all for clean coal technology. I’m sure reducing CO2 emissions would be a positive thing.” But in the same interview, he insisted the science is “very mixed” on climate change and claimed that in “the mainstream media, there is a denial of the growing skepticism in the scientific community on global warming.”

In 2014, he was still adamant that we “haven’t seen a lot of warming lately. I remember back in the ’70s, we were talking about the emerging ice age. We’ll leave the scientific debate to the future.”

“Smoking doesn’t kill.”

Right around the time Pence declared global warming a myth, he insisted smoking wasn’t harmful, according to this quote ThinkProgress dug up from his 2000 campaign website:

“Time for a quick reality check. Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn’t kill. In fact, 2 out of every three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness and 9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer.”

“Um … I, do I believe in evolution?”

Asked flatly if he believes in evolution by MSNBC’s Chris Matthews in 2009, Pence faltered: “Um … I, do I believe in evolution? Ah, I, I, ah … I embrace the, uh — the, uh — the view, ah, that God created the heavens and the earth, the seas and all that’s in them.”

With all his shades of science denial, Pence should get along with Trump just fine.

http://grist.org/election-2016/mike-pence-has-almost-as-loose-a-grip-on-reality-as-trump-himself/

:myday:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
CNN just said that last night Trump was trying to get out of the Mike Pence choice. He was pissed that the news got leaked out. They aren't sure if Trump is happy with his choice. Looks like Trump's kids got their way.

Maybe Paul Manafort got to Trump too.

CarolKing

So if Trump doesn't really prefer Pence what kind of combination is that going to create? Trump doesn't always get along with folks because he always wants his way. Kinda like a 2 year old. Then when they don't get their way they have a temper tantrum or a trumpertantrum.:lol: I think Cruz came up with that one or somebody that worked for him.

How about Pence thinking that he wasn't first choice?

Ohio is an open gun carry state. Maybe somebody's gun rights might be trampled on at the convention? With all the violence going on in the World security is going to be tight and should be.

France needed more cops on the street. It sounds like there will be now.

Edit
@steama Your vote is your choice. We live in a free country. You need to do what your conscience tells you to do.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: Vicki

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
After Nice, Gingrich One-Ups Trump
by Nancy LeTourneau
July 15, 2016 9:52 AM

Following news of the terrorist attack in Nice last night, Newt Gingrich went on Sean Hannity’s show and grabbed all the headlines for suggesting a response that even Donald Trump hasn’t been willing to propose.

“Western civilization is in a war. We should frankly test every person here who is of a Muslim background and if they believe in Sharia they should be deported,” Gingrich told Fox News’ Sean Hannity.

“Sharia is incompatible with western civilization. Modern Muslims who have given up Sharia, glad to have them as citizens. Perfectly happy to have them next door,” he added.

Gingrich also said that the attack in Nice is the “fault of Western elites who lack the guts to do what is right, to do what is necessary,” and suggested that mosques in America need to be monitored.

Coming from a party that purports to have complete allegiance to the Constitution of the United States, in those few sentences Gingrich managed to name actions that shatter almost everything most Americans hold dear in terms of this country and our values: religious tests, the rights of citizenship and unlawful surveillance – to name just a few. Notice that he said all of that before we even know who committed this atrocity and before any group has claimed responsibility.

But Gingrich didn’t stop there. He’s apparently ready to go after non-Muslims as well.

Gingrich also called for “anybody who goes on a website favoring ISIS or Al Qaeda or any other terrorist groups” to be jailed on felony charges. Any organization that hosted such a website would also be subject to such charges, he said.

If the U.S. intelligence community is unable to diminish ISIS’ power by taking out the websites the group uses to spread its propaganda, Gingrich proposed using aggressive force.

“We should destroy them with kinetic power, using various weapons starting with predators and frankly just killing them,” he said.

I’ve never thought that Donald Trump is the brightest bulb. My impression of him is that he doesn’t think….he reacts. That means that he says a lot of stupid stuff and then has to backtrack. But Newt Gingrich – for all of his faults – is smart. He is not being reactive when he throws out this kind of thing. He’s being strategic.

In psychological terms, while Trump exhibits signs of being a classic narcissist, Gingrich has often appeared to be a sociopath. Of the two, the latter is actually much more dangerous over the long term.

I’m not going to pretend to know exactly what Gingrich is attempting to accomplish with these incredibly incendiary remarks. But I do notice that they come on the heels of all the rumors yesterday that Trump had chosen Gov. Mike Pence to be his vice president. As the day went on, the messages from the candidate’s campaign became increasingly confused and now we know that an announcement has been delayed with a statement from Trump saying, “he had yet to make a ‘final, final decision’ between Pence and two other candidates, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former House speaker Newt Gingrich.”

What we could be witnessing right now is a man who is willing to completely throw our Constitution under the bus in order to grab headlines and make a play to get the Republican nomination as vice president. You want to know how far down the rabbit hole the Republican Party has gone? There you have it.

CarolKing

Authorities in Ohio are considering not allowing folks to open carry guns on their shoulders or on their bodies in the area of the republican convention outside. Oh no! Some gun carrying Ohio citizens will have their second amendment taken away.

This sounds like common sense to me. That was part of the problem in Dallas. Police couldn't figure out who the shooter was right away. People's safety is the bottom line wouldn't you think.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
People's safety is the bottom line wouldn't you think.
If that were really the case there would BE no open carry and only police would be allowed to carry. But that is no longer how we roll...

And no, we don't need to have a discussion of open carry laws in this thread.

unsorted

From the Evansville (In) Courier:
http://www.courierpress.com/columnists/jon-webb/dear-us-get-ready-to-experience-the-mike-pence-rash-36989537-0a30-4fff-e053-0100007f8ce2-386839771.html

Dear U.S., get ready to experience the Mike Pence rash

You wake up one morning with a rash on your leg.

You worry about that rash. It makes you uncomfortable. People look at it in disgust. And each time you think it's getting better, it just gets worse.

And one day the rash on your leg is gone. Great, you think. Then you realize that, while it's vanished from that leg, it's spread to every other part of your body.

Mike Pence reportedly accepted an offer to become Donald Trump's running mate on Thursday, effectively ending his reign as Indiana governor. State law prohibits him from seeking re-election — you can't simultaneously seek federal and state office — and the remainder of his term will be spent gallivanting across swing states, making the case that a member of the WWE Hall of Fame should be the next president of the United States.

That's right. Pence, a man who once used the campaign slogan "a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order," will now turn his political future over to a man who mispronounces books of the Bible like a third-grader reading Tolstoy.

Why did Trump choose Pence? Our unpopular governor has alienated millions with regressive and divisive policy initiatives. He attempted to shut out the press by delivering news directly to the people.

Even members of his own party don't like him, prompting whispers of a moderate Republican insurgence to knock him off the ticket.

Oh my God.

(Dunks Pence in a vat of barbecue chips. Slaps a dead Yorkshire Terrier on his head)

Mike Pence is Donald Trump! Donald Trump is Mike Pence! I always knew Trump would choose himself as his running mate!

But enough joking around, eh? This is serious business. Fate of the free world, etc. And after all, a Trump/Trump ticket would be much preferable to Trump/Pence.

Any admirable qualities Trump might possess — moderate on gun rights; not-consistently hostile to the LGBT community; decent chili recipe — are erased by the presence of his new pal.

Pence is against same-sex marriage. He's even against providing gay people with basic civil rights. From "The Pence Agenda for the 107th Congress":

"Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexual's (sic) as a 'discreet and insular minority' entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities."

Aside from being just purely terrible, that line of thinking puts Pence at odds with moderate Republicans — a group Trump needs. According to a Pew Research poll earlier this year, 66 percent of moderates favor same-sex marriage. Even 29 percent of conservatives are for it, up from 21 percent in 2001.

Of course Pence does appeal to a specific wing of the Republican party. If the Bible replaced the Constitution tomorrow, Mike would dance for joy — if dancing wasn't a sin.

But let's ignore that whole "what the people want" nonsense. The real reason Pence is on the ticket is simple: money.

Last month, Trump's campaign had just enough cash on hand for a swing through the Wendy's dollar menu. Pence's addition could open the coffers of the Koch Brothers — two demon heads that float over middle America and shoot dollar bills out of their mewling maws.

They have eschewed Trump thus far as a non-palatable brand of crazy. They love Pence, though. In March, their PAC Americans for Prosperity poured millions into an ad praising Pence for failing to follow the federal government's guidelines on greenhouse gas emissions.

He also has the backing of the Republican Governor's Association, whose chair, New Mexico Gov. Susanna Martinez, has been the subject of Trump ire.

(But what human being / nationality / cookie company hasn't been the subject of Trump ire in these rollicking end times? I can only think of one: Donald Trump)

The governor association's PAC, RGA Right Direction, funneled $647,000 toward Pence for a "media buy" on June 16. Similar contributions frequently crop up, according to filings collected by the Indiana Election Division. Exact offerings from notoriously secretive Kochs are tougher to pin down.

(From "The Pence Agenda for the 107th Congress": "Campaign finance reform should include greater access, via the Internet, for the general public to all information relative to income and expenses of campaigns.")

And now Pence will collect his satchel stuffed with $7.6 million in campaign cash and head to Trump Tower, where he'll be locked in the playroom with Chris Christie like children whose parents are hearing a timeshare pitch.

In a normal election year, Pence wouldn't even sniff the vice-presidency. In March 2015, in the "Mad Max" fallout of RFRA, Mike Pence went on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" and dribbled pudding down his chin. All talks of a Pence presidential run ceased, and Mike slinked back to Indiana.

But in an election cycle ruled by a man who's alienated entire nationalities and religions, an embarrassing TV appearance doesn't seem so bad anymore. And hey: Pence's backward thoughts on homosexuality are downright rainbow-infused compared to recently passed amendments in the burgeoning Republican platform.

It's the kind of stuff that even Trump would find crazy. According to the New York Times: "Additional provisions included those that promoted state laws to limit which restrooms transgender people could use, nodded to 'conversion therapy' for gays by saying that parents should be free to make medical decisions about their children without interference and stated that 'natural marriage' between a man and a woman is most likely to result in offspring who do not become drug-addicted or otherwise damaged."

So here he goes. A man who couldn't get a Republican supermajority to pass his own tax cut will now help Trump maneuver Congress. A man who made Indiana a backwater punchline will now get a promotion.

A failed governor with the magnanimous personality of beige carpet will smirk in his new national spotlight and count down the seconds until his fickle boss realizes that the presidency is a job, shrugs and says, "here's the key to the Oval Office, Mikey. Go ahead and nominate Joel Osteen to the Supreme Court."

See you later, Mike Pence. Don't let Indiana's sullied reputation hit you on the way out.

Enjoy your rash, America.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Of Course Trump Snubbed Christie. What Did He Expect?
by David Atkins
July 16, 2016 3:35 PM

It’s hard not to feel a little bit sorry for Chris Christie. Once hailed as the superstar of the Republican Party with Reaganesque crossover appeal, Christie has seen his star fall dramatically. His approval rating is abysmal, and if Trump fails to win in November it’s likely that his political career is finished.

It’s mostly his own fault. His egotism and bullying personality have not worn well with voters. Screaming at teachers and using the power of the governor’s office to close bridges for petty political revenge tends to make someone unpopular, especially in a blue state like New Jersey.

But this year’s presidential contest has been the nadir of a once promising career. After a lackluster campaign in which Christie could neither play the outsider as well as Trump or Cruz nor rise to the top of the establishment lane <i>a la</i> Rubio, Christie played the only card he had left: carry Trump’s water by knocking out Rubio. He proceeded to eviscerate Rubio in one of the GOP debates, effectively ending Rubio’s campaign. He then became one of Trump’s earliest high-profile endorsers, earning scorn and ridicule for appearing at press conferences quietly standing behind Trump like an uncomfortable courtier or important prisoner of war even as Trump humiliated him.

Then, after months of loyalty and practically begging for the job, Christie was snubbed for the vice-presidential pick as Trump chose Indiana Governor Mike Pence–despite the fact that Pence had endorsed Ted Cruz.

But it’s hard to see what Christie could possibly have expected. First, like most bullies Donald Trump respects only strength. Christie showed none, and Trump abused Christie’s weakness mercilessly.

Second, even a casual observer would note that Christie doesn’t offer Trump any advantages on the ticket. Their personalities are both brash and aggressive, and they both come from blue northeastern states that aren’t going to vote Republican. Christie isn’t handsome or a reliable talking point generator, and he doesn’t appeal to social conservatives or Tea Partiers to shore up Trump’s base. He’s a white male, so there’s no minority or female crossover appeal to be had. He’s not particularly well-liked by the conservative donor class. He’s not a military general, nor is he an outsider from the business world that would double down on Trump’s disruptive credentials like, say, a Carly Fiorina or even Peter Thiel might have been.

So there’s no rationale at all for Christie to think he should be selected as Trump’s VP pick outside of pure loyalty–and Trump isn’t exactly reliable on that front, either.

Christie would have been far better off backing Trump quietly from a distance while trying to make himself the leader of what’s left of the establishment wing of the party within the governors’ circle. That way he could present himself as a central figure to help the GOP rise from the ashes of a Trump defeat, or a reasonable cabinet-level choice in a Trump Administration.

But Christie is a desperate man having a bad year, and he decided to go for broke instead. It’s hard not to feel bad for him, but he did it to himself.
------------------------
Of course, I personally have a lot less trouble not feeling bad for him... :dog:

grokit

well-worn member
From the Evansville (In) Courier:
http://www.courierpress.com/columni...37-0a30-4fff-e053-0100007f8ce2-386839771.html

Dear U.S., get ready to experience the Mike Pence rash

You wake up one morning with a rash on your leg.

You worry about that rash. It makes you uncomfortable. People look at it in disgust. And each time you think it's getting better, it just gets worse.

And one day the rash on your leg is gone. Great, you think. Then you realize that, while it's vanished from that leg, it's spread to every other part of your body.

Mike Pence reportedly accepted an offer to become Donald Trump's running mate on Thursday, effectively ending his reign as Indiana governor. State law prohibits him from seeking re-election — you can't simultaneously seek federal and state office — and the remainder of his term will be spent gallivanting across swing states, making the case that a member of the WWE Hall of Fame should be the next president of the United States.

That's right. Pence, a man who once used the campaign slogan "a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order," will now turn his political future over to a man who mispronounces books of the Bible like a third-grader reading Tolstoy.

Why did Trump choose Pence? Our unpopular governor has alienated millions with regressive and divisive policy initiatives. He attempted to shut out the press by delivering news directly to the people.

Even members of his own party don't like him, prompting whispers of a moderate Republican insurgence to knock him off the ticket.

Oh my God.

(Dunks Pence in a vat of barbecue chips. Slaps a dead Yorkshire Terrier on his head)

Mike Pence is Donald Trump! Donald Trump is Mike Pence! I always knew Trump would choose himself as his running mate!

But enough joking around, eh? This is serious business. Fate of the free world, etc. And after all, a Trump/Trump ticket would be much preferable to Trump/Pence.

Any admirable qualities Trump might possess — moderate on gun rights; not-consistently hostile to the LGBT community; decent chili recipe — are erased by the presence of his new pal.

Pence is against same-sex marriage. He's even against providing gay people with basic civil rights. From "The Pence Agenda for the 107th Congress":

"Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexual's (sic) as a 'discreet and insular minority' entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities."

Aside from being just purely terrible, that line of thinking puts Pence at odds with moderate Republicans — a group Trump needs. According to a Pew Research poll earlier this year, 66 percent of moderates favor same-sex marriage. Even 29 percent of conservatives are for it, up from 21 percent in 2001.

Of course Pence does appeal to a specific wing of the Republican party. If the Bible replaced the Constitution tomorrow, Mike would dance for joy — if dancing wasn't a sin.

But let's ignore that whole "what the people want" nonsense. The real reason Pence is on the ticket is simple: money.

Last month, Trump's campaign had just enough cash on hand for a swing through the Wendy's dollar menu. Pence's addition could open the coffers of the Koch Brothers — two demon heads that float over middle America and shoot dollar bills out of their mewling maws.

They have eschewed Trump thus far as a non-palatable brand of crazy. They love Pence, though. In March, their PAC Americans for Prosperity poured millions into an ad praising Pence for failing to follow the federal government's guidelines on greenhouse gas emissions.

He also has the backing of the Republican Governor's Association, whose chair, New Mexico Gov. Susanna Martinez, has been the subject of Trump ire.

(But what human being / nationality / cookie company hasn't been the subject of Trump ire in these rollicking end times? I can only think of one: Donald Trump)

The governor association's PAC, RGA Right Direction, funneled $647,000 toward Pence for a "media buy" on June 16. Similar contributions frequently crop up, according to filings collected by the Indiana Election Division. Exact offerings from notoriously secretive Kochs are tougher to pin down.

(From "The Pence Agenda for the 107th Congress": "Campaign finance reform should include greater access, via the Internet, for the general public to all information relative to income and expenses of campaigns.")

And now Pence will collect his satchel stuffed with $7.6 million in campaign cash and head to Trump Tower, where he'll be locked in the playroom with Chris Christie like children whose parents are hearing a timeshare pitch.

In a normal election year, Pence wouldn't even sniff the vice-presidency. In March 2015, in the "Mad Max" fallout of RFRA, Mike Pence went on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" and dribbled pudding down his chin. All talks of a Pence presidential run ceased, and Mike slinked back to Indiana.

But in an election cycle ruled by a man who's alienated entire nationalities and religions, an embarrassing TV appearance doesn't seem so bad anymore. And hey: Pence's backward thoughts on homosexuality are downright rainbow-infused compared to recently passed amendments in the burgeoning Republican platform.

It's the kind of stuff that even Trump would find crazy. According to the New York Times: "Additional provisions included those that promoted state laws to limit which restrooms transgender people could use, nodded to 'conversion therapy' for gays by saying that parents should be free to make medical decisions about their children without interference and stated that 'natural marriage' between a man and a woman is most likely to result in offspring who do not become drug-addicted or otherwise damaged."

So here he goes. A man who couldn't get a Republican supermajority to pass his own tax cut will now help Trump maneuver Congress. A man who made Indiana a backwater punchline will now get a promotion.

A failed governor with the magnanimous personality of beige carpet will smirk in his new national spotlight and count down the seconds until his fickle boss realizes that the presidency is a job, shrugs and says, "here's the key to the Oval Office, Mikey. Go ahead and nominate Joel Osteen to the Supreme Court."

See you later, Mike Pence. Don't let Indiana's sullied reputation hit you on the way out.

Enjoy your rash, America.
Nice content, regarding the douchebag that ran the fine state of indiana to the ground. It's kind of hard to read though, maybe you could blow the text up a bit larger and make it a little more heavy/bold ;)?

neverforget711

“Smoking doesn’t kill.”

Right around the time Pence declared global warming a myth, he insisted smoking wasn’t harmful, according to this quote ThinkProgress dug up from his 2000 campaign website:

“Time for a quick reality check. Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn’t kill. In fact, 2 out of every three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness and 9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer.”

He actually isn't wrong here. Being wary of smoking is fine; it is the site's namesake. However, there really is a lot of superstition and voodoo on the anti-smoking side.

Mike Pence looks like Race Bannon from Johnny Quest, I would wager that modeling aspect was picked up on.

Edit:
forget that, Pence is Captain Murphy.
w79oO0.jpg

Last edited:

CarolKing

I saw a spoof on Mike Pence and Johnny Quest, a cartoon photo was shown. Not sure exactly where? They had mentioned maybe Raji wouldn't be accepted or deported, I can't remember. Maybe it was Bill Maher where I saw this? I guess great minds think a like.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Economically, IN is actually still growing higher than average.
i know, I live there lol.
While I don't live there, I have read a lot of stuff like this:

"Pence doesn’t have the best record for the Indiana economy. He’s had anemic economic growth. In fact, Indiana ranked last in economic job growth in the Midwest last year, and wages dropped from $53,500 in 2000 to $46,900 in 2013... The worst part is he ascribes to the same failed “trickle down economics” theory that has bankrupted states led by other GOP governors, like Kansas and Oklahoma. As Kansas Governor Sam Brownback has proven time and time again: Tax cuts don’t create jobs."

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/her...-know-about-trumps-likely-vp-pick-mike-pence/

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Ok, but look at that timeframe they used. Pre 9/11 compared to two major recessions after. IN compared to the rest of the midwest concurrently we are doing very, very well. One of the lowest unemployment numbers and continuous budget surplus situations. No long term debt crisis, and consistent year over year economic investment from corporations, both foreign and domestic. 2013 was also his first year as governor, so that article misleads readers to think anything he did could have made an affect at that point

I can make anybody look bad when I fiddle with the numbers enough.

yogoshio,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Unfortunately for Pence, one needn't get into his economic success or failure to assess whether he might be an acceptable Presidential/VP candidate or to make him "look bad".

Pence leads the field in anti LGBT rhetoric, gender bigotry and anti women legislation. He tried to make "religious" bigotry legal in his state. He tried to shut down the government over planned parenthood funding. And on and on and on...

In his 12 years in congress his voting record was extremely right wing, more so than Bachmann, Gomert, King or Akin. He finished as the 428th most extreme congressmen out of 435. He never, in his whole time in congress, passed a single bill where he was the principle sponsor.

Needless to say there are many folk out there who believe that these are reasons TO vote for him. But most of those folks were already voting for Trump. I'm just not sure who he brings, other than those who (for whatever reason) think that he will have some ability to moderate Trumps insanity. Sadly, there is no way for a VP to do that. And should he try, he will be shoved in a closet and given no power to do anything.

CarolKing

I've already read the facts on Mr. Pence. Not interested in his way of thinking what's except able and what's not. I don't think our country needs someone like him or Trump. He would have been smart to stay the hell away from Trump.

Edit
Pence may have s hard time shaking the image that he was idiotic enough to go with the crazy lunatic candidate.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, he was probably gonna lose his reelection bid in Indiana, so this is a good way for him to stay relevant. Even when he looses the election it will put him in a better place to run for President in 2020. If he ran and lost in Indiana he would probably be history, like Christie will be after Trump loses.

If Trump were to win, Christie would expect to be AG or in Trump's cabinet, tho I can't think of anything in the cabinet he wouldn't really fuck up.

Top Bottom