The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
I must also then consider the possibility that if God does exist, God is in a perpetual state of dissociative identity disorder comprised of infinite multiple personalities, none of which are aware of the other. But I digress, again... F'! Trump!

I "believe" that Drumpf is going to experience a YUGE loss and that his financial fortunes will be forever downwardly affected by his grifter bigot run for the presidency.
I edited my previous post as some of what I had put in did not show up. I added another "story".

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I "believe" that Drumpf is going to experience a YUGE loss and that his financial fortunes will be forever downwardly affected by his grifter bigot run for the presidency.
I edited my previous post as some of what I had put in did not show up. I added another "story".
I also edited my post to delete the word "disorder" so as not to invite the wrath of God upon my mortal soul... uhh, just in case s/he does exist... admittedly a somewhat superstitious BELIEF!

Snappo,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Trump says he's revoking Washington Post's media credentials
Noah Bierman, Tribune Washington Bureau on Jun 13, 2016

WASHINGTON -- Donald Trump announced Monday that he was revoking media credentials from The Washington Post, another sign that he does not tolerate criticism that often comes with presidential campaigns.

Trump has previously banned Politico, BuzzFeed, the Daily Beast, the Des Moines Register and other publications from attending his press events and rallies. But The Post ban is new territory, given the paper's historic role in covering campaigns and setting the nation's political agenda.

Trump did not specify his reasons for revoking the Post's credentials, and his press secretary did not immediately respond to an email. But in a Facebook post earlier Monday, Trump complained about a headline on a story related to television interviews Trump gave about the Orlando, Fla., attack.

This is just part of the article.
CK

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
week-5.png

Frank%2BZappa%2B-%2BThe%2Bbiggest%2Bthreat%2Bto%2BAmerica%2Btoday%2Bis%2Bmoving%2BAmerica%2Btoward%2Ba%2Bfascist%2Btheocracy.JPG

:uhh::tinfoil::whip:

Silat

Trump says he's revoking Washington Post's media credentials
Noah Bierman, Tribune Washington Bureau on Jun 13, 2016

WASHINGTON -- Donald Trump announced Monday that he was revoking media credentials from The Washington Post, another sign that he does not tolerate criticism that often comes with presidential campaigns.

Trump has previously banned Politico, BuzzFeed, the Daily Beast, the Des Moines Register and other publications from attending his press events and rallies. But The Post ban is new territory, given the paper's historic role in covering campaigns and setting the nation's political agenda.

Trump did not specify his reasons for revoking the Post's credentials, and his press secretary did not immediately respond to an email. But in a Facebook post earlier Monday, Trump complained about a headline on a story related to television interviews Trump gave about the Orlando, Fla., attack.

This is just part of the article.
CK

His reasons are that the Post asks him questions that he does not want to answer.

Silat,
Reactions: Snappo

lwien

So now we have a racist who wants to ban the press and God knows what else he'll come up with prior to their convention.

The GOP needs to make a decision. Either do what is right for their party and our country or succumb to the lowest common denominator in their base and self destruct into oblivion.

btw, did anyone hear this nutcase on O'Reilly tonight. His soundbites were just insane.

And O'Reilly is going to be on Colbert tonight. Should be kinda interesting.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Trump has talked about wanting to change the constitution now he wants to ban the press. If he gets into office he will be making people vow allegiance to him. Don't take your freedoms for granted America.

If those that think they will be writing in Bernie's name on the ballot and think he will end up winning I wouldn't cash in your chips. The Democratic Party at this point needs to be united.

Later down the line get organized and figure out a different system. It's important that Trump doesn't get in. I wish Bernie would have won but I will be voting for Hillary. Remember, united we stand.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Ya know, I have been perversely excited as this is what I really believed was going to happen, and and there has been little I have wanted to see more in Presidential politics. But I am afraid it is NOT going to happen.

Not because he might win, that I believe is all but impossible in a country that has ANY self respect, and as bad as we can be at times, that really isn't us. It's not going to happen because The Donald has made himself SO toxic, and so impossibly obtuse and so just plain crazy and evil, that the Republicans will HAVE to stop him. They can NOT let him be their standard bearer and still survive as a legitimate political party. And they want to survive.

They will have to break all their rules to do it, and it will look very bad and probably make it impossible for whoever they replace him with to win. It will STILL do very severe damage to the party, but nothing like running this monster would do.

So, I am starting to realize that the party is over and the attendees are picking up their things and getting in their cars (or at the very least realizing that the booze and pot has run out and the stores are closed and going home is all that's left to do).

Trump is not through making an ass out of himself, there is still plenty of time before the convention to say and do enough ridiculous things to allow some of his supporters and the rest of the party to realize that they have to reverse the "will" of several million voters, but they know they have no chance to survive if they don't pull the plug on this terrible experiment in sourcing their "leader".

The results will certainly be riots outside the convention, and maybe even inside, but the people who really run the party and care that is survives really have no choice. By not stopping Trump earlier when it was possible, they did this to themselves.

If anyone has plans to go to Cleveland, you may want to reconsider. Unless you are going for the riots.

Gunky

I still think they will nominate Trump and then he loses in a yuge landslide. Most repub bigwigs have already sold out. It's utterly astonishing to watch party leaders like Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan line up behind that jackass: he may be a bigot but he's our bigot!

They imagine they can domesticate Trump, but as Confucius said: "Rotten wood cannot be carved; a wall made of shit cannot be troweled."

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@Silat - I think financially this is a win-win for Trump. Publicity and brand recognition can be monetized and the more publicity he gets the more he's likely to be worth. He'll write books and people will buy them. He'll host reality shows and people will watch. He'll sell shit by tagging the shit with his name and people will buy it. Pretty much what he's been doing but he will have a stronger brand and name recognition after this.

I haven't looked it up but I have a suspicion that, liked or not, people like the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, Honey-boo-boo, etc. found ways to make good money for being famous for no good reason. And as much as it irks me to give Trump credit for anything....if the aforementioned could make money being famous for well...being famous...Trump has a leg up on them when it comes to money/business.

The Libertarian convention.

Great video! Thanks for reminding me, in the strongest possible way, that common sense isn't all that common.

Gunky

Not believing is "not" a belief system.
Repubs don't believe in global warming. It's part of a belief system which involves simultaneously buying a number of contradictory propositions:

1) there is no global warming phenomenon; it's a hoax
2) global warming is natural and not caused by man
3) even if global warming is caused by man, there's nothing we can do
4) global warming is good for you

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
My state has one electoral vote, it's going to drumpf and I can't do a thing about it. We voted mccain and romney as well as a bunch of bushes. On the bright side alaska has never decided a presidential election.

I do think that drumpf will lose, but not in the landslide that some of our more confident party-line republicrats seem to expect. I think he will do better than both mccain and romney did against obama, because times are different; the backlash this year is against obama and the pendulum always swings.

The reason the republican leadership is doubling down on drumpf now is they see a chance to present a united front, against the equally fractured democrats, and he gives them their best chance to win.

edit: the gop really likes to win :goon::bang: :borg: :ninja: :peace:

:myday:

Last edited:

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Wait a second. Are you actually saying that Fox is less opinionated in their reporting than MSNBC? If that's the case, than you and I must be watching a different Fox.

I agree with @yogashio , but like I said different sides of the same coin, it's tough to quantify the amount of opinion but I feel more often than not, in terms of news, MSNBC pushes their agenda while Fox gives a more unbiased look. Agree that the pundits (is that what they're considered?) like O'Reilly are as bad. And agree all are biased in some fashion and you should try to read all sides and peel all layers ;)

While guns is not solely to blame, the ability to purchase an assault rifle that has the ability to shoot so many people so quickly is partially to blame, eh. I have no doubt that if assault rifles were not available and all he had was a pistol, we would not see 50 people dead.

No doubt it is, there is no need for automatic rifles like those.......I can understand why people feel it infringes on their right to freedom or whatever, but honestly not really empathetic to their cause. Deer hunting is huge by me.......they don't use anything like that! And hell, bow takes more skill. So I do fully agree that we don't need the automatic rifles.

I don't think guns are the root cause here though, I think a lack of proper monitoring and flagging and whatnot is. Crazies come in all colors, shapes, and sizes......unless we implement a full weapon ban, I just don't see a way crazies won't get a gun.......but felons are banned, and get guns.... Addressing the guns just seems like a half measure to me.........THAT said, addressing the crazies is a pretty hard thing to quantify so I do kind of understand. If you lower the availability of guns, in theory, should be less guns, and since guns cause violence, should be less violence.

@Silat , I disagree (kind of) with the idea that if you vote for Trump knowing he's racist, that you support racism. But, I can also understand the "big picture" idea that by voting for a racist, by proxy you are supporting racism, by supporting him. It's a pretty good catch 22 argument for liberals and Democrats to make too, and you aren't really wrong, but it's another example of appealing to the feelings of people. But, there are other reasons people support him, and there are Muslims/Mexicans/etc. who will vote for him......are they race traitors?

Just to play Devil's Advocate, Democrats have a huge history in racism, it wasn't the Republicans whipping and it wasn't the Republicans lynching, and it wasn't the Republican's supporting the Ku Klux Klan, so by proxy supporting a party who was about those things......sounds pretty bad.

Similarly, a vote for Hillary shows that you don't value the lives of Christopher Stevens, Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods, and Glen Doherty, since her actions demonstrated she didn't value their lives.

I understand you weren't calling me a racist earlier if I vote for Trump, nor am I calling you a racist or saying you don't value human life, simply using these as "big picture" examples...how big a picture do we paint? Trump has said racist things, but I don't think he is the all embodiment of evil and I don't consider a vote for him supporting racism, but I can understand your perspective, just seems a narrow brush to paint with.....just an FYI though, calling him Drumpf is supporting the very racism that people vote for him are supporting........I elaborated on that earlier, nothing like trying to put a guy down by making fun of his immigrant ancestors name, but it's a big deal when he calls Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas"...see the irony?

Also, just .02 regarding Elizabeth Warren, him calling her Pochontas is racist, but isn't it also kind of racist to only start identifying as NA in your 30s when going to Law School, pretty racist? Seems like you really cared and identified with your NA roots for the first 30+ years of life..... I'm a 1/4 Palesntinian, I get pretty tan in the summer/sun..... I check white, I've always identified as white....my brother is same way.....he just finished his first year of med school, and skipped the year off from college.....tough to do, they want that experience after college....... the kid should of identified as Middle Eastern as he was right on the cusp and had to wait a little, but he probably would of had a bit less stressful and quicker time if he did that. That seems pretty shitty though right, to exploit a 1/4 of our blood to gain benefits when we haven't identified as that our whole lives (we are in mid 20s)? He shouldn't try to demean her by calling her names, but I personally think that utilizing race selectively and only for gain is pretty.....dehumanizing. I respect my heritage (and based on my reading, which I didn't do much of, she can't prove hers), but it would seem like I would be marginalizing my grandfather IMO if I started identifying as Palestinian for "benefits"

With regards to religion, I used to be "atheist" but as I've gotten older, I've actually gotten more religious. That said, I tend to believe in the overarching themes and "big picture" ideas moreso than the literal interpretations of *any* religion. "spiritual" is a term I tend to use to describe myself with regards to that. I have mixed feelings about organized religion; it is great IMO for people to be able to celebrate and bond over something they feel connected by. But I also feel like some people use religion/churches as a way to shield shit. Nothing like hearing the soccer moms gossiping and being catty at the local brunch spot on Sunday on their way home from Sunday mass :lol: but they are good people you know, they go to church. Don't like a facade. I do know some truly amazing people who are religious though and actually practice what they preach, although it isn't for me personally.

.....fell asleep writing this :lol:

An addendum about Global Warming: certainly you guys remember the scares about Global Cooling? More in your time than mine. The thing is, the Earth has climates, and climates change.......there is no doubt Global Warming. But, it is also natural. Not saying humans don't contribute to climate change, but there are other natural forces that do too.

Gunky

Exhibit A:
-snip-
An addendum about Global Warming: certainly you guys remember the scares about Global Cooling? More in your time than mine. The thing is, the Earth has climates, and climates change.......there is no doubt Global Warming. But, it is also natural. Not saying humans don't contribute to climate change, but there are other natural forces that do too.

Three out of four ain't bad.

Last edited:

lwien

Ohio should start mobilizing their National Guard and get all of their ducks in a row like right now. Start practicing "what-if" scenarios for it could be just as crazy inside the convention as it will be outside. Trumps ultimate reality show.....build an octagon around Cleveland.

Silat

Just to play Devil's Advocate, Democrats have a huge history in racism, it wasn't the Republicans whipping and it wasn't the Republicans lynching, and it wasn't the Republican's supporting the Ku Klux Klan, so by proxy supporting a party who was about those things......sounds pretty bad.

Similarly, a vote for Hillary shows that you don't value the lives of Christopher Stevens, Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods, and Glen Doherty, since her actions demonstrated she didn't value their lives.

Dems long ago had conservatives in the party in the South. Dixiecrats. They eventually left to go to the party that was fine with racism and became Repubes. For the modern era the only racist party is the GOP.

Bennnnnnghaaaaaaaziiiiiiiii. Nothing there. Every investigation by the reich has proven (much to their dismay) that there is no there, there. Hillary did not contribute to the deaths of those Americans.

And calling him Drumpf is not racism period. I do not see how you come to that conclusion.
His family name was Drumpf. He attacked others who had changed their family names and said they were ashamed of their heritage. It is only fair that he stop being such a thin skinned moron and take his own medicine.

Last edited:

CarolKing

YOUR NEWS COMPANION
JUNE 14 2016 5:21 PM
Today's Trump Apocalypse Watch: A Weird Outbreak of Reasonable Behavior

By Ben Mathis-Lilley

540153308.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

President Obama speaking today at the Treasury Department in Washington, D.C.

Jim Lo Scalzo/Pool/Getty Images

The Trump Apocalypse Watch is a subjective daily estimate, using a scale of one to four horsemen, of how likely it is that Donald Trump will be elected president, thus triggering an apocalypse in which we all die.

Yesterday, Donald Trump had the most publicly insane and disturbing day that any major-party presidential candidate has had in quite some time, calling to ban entire nations of people from immigrating to the United States and insinuating that both huge swaths of Muslim American communities and the current president are complicit in jihadist terror attacks.

Today, surprisingly, a number of members of said candidate's party—who have, with some exceptions, been cravenly capitulating to and enabling his disgraceful behavior for months—appeared to have suddenly developed a conscience, or at least a self-preserving sense that things have gone too far. From a Politico piece called "Trump's terror response has Republicans fretting anew":

“Saying nothing would have been better,” said one member of the Republican National Committee. “Every Senate candidate will be forced to answer for Trump's bizarre response [to the Orlando terror attack]. ... His lack of empathy is jarring.”
More:

"[Trump] just blows up everything we want to do," said a senior GOP lawmaker, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Every time you turn around, he's said something new. It's impossible for us to keep up."
Republican House leaders reiterated that they do not support Trump's immigration-ban proposals. Tennessee senator Lamar Alexander went so far as to allude to the possibility that Trump would not be the GOP nominee:

And while it's not shocking that President Obama would object to Trump's proposals and the tenor of the candidate's Monday comments, the president did go further today in condemning Trump than he ever has before, delivering a legitimately angry defense of American values that is worth your time to watch.

I feel a little better about being American today.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Art of Mark Bryan - "At first I didn't want to waste paint and canvas on the "Trump" But in the end I just had to. This is the "Trump-O-Matic" machine that he uses to gin up the crowd. Of course behind all this, he's just a sad baby man obsessed with himself."
4y13lZx.jpg

Silat

YOUR NEWS COMPANION
JUNE 14 2016 5:21 PM
Today's Trump Apocalypse Watch: A Weird Outbreak of Reasonable Behavior

By Ben Mathis-Lilley

540153308.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

President Obama speaking today at the Treasury Department in Washington, D.C.

Jim Lo Scalzo/Pool/Getty Images

The Trump Apocalypse Watch is a subjective daily estimate, using a scale of one to four horsemen, of how likely it is that Donald Trump will be elected president, thus triggering an apocalypse in which we all die.

Yesterday, Donald Trump had the most publicly insane and disturbing day that any major-party presidential candidate has had in quite some time, calling to ban entire nations of people from immigrating to the United States and insinuating that both huge swaths of Muslim American communities and the current president are complicit in jihadist terror attacks.

Today, surprisingly, a number of members of said candidate's party—who have, with some exceptions, been cravenly capitulating to and enabling his disgraceful behavior for months—appeared to have suddenly developed a conscience, or at least a self-preserving sense that things have gone too far. From a Politico piece called "Trump's terror response has Republicans fretting anew":

“Saying nothing would have been better,” said one member of the Republican National Committee. “Every Senate candidate will be forced to answer for Trump's bizarre response [to the Orlando terror attack]. ... His lack of empathy is jarring.”
More:

"[Trump] just blows up everything we want to do," said a senior GOP lawmaker, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Every time you turn around, he's said something new. It's impossible for us to keep up."
Republican House leaders reiterated that they do not support Trump's immigration-ban proposals. Tennessee senator Lamar Alexander went so far as to allude to the possibility that Trump would not be the GOP nominee:

And while it's not shocking that President Obama would object to Trump's proposals and the tenor of the candidate's Monday comments, the president did go further today in condemning Trump than he ever has before, delivering a legitimately angry defense of American values that is worth your time to watch.

I feel a little better about being American today.

Problem is that none of them are saying they will not vote for him. Their support of ll Duce means they support what he says.
And by the way, the right has been spouting the same nonsense for decades that Drumpf is saying outloud. They are just in a panic because he will not stop talking about their truth.

And I agree that Obama was on point today. Just wish he would have been that tough starting 7 years ago.
I know you get it:) Just had to rant.

Top Bottom