The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
I too was born with a Christian mother. She would be appalled by politics if she was still alive. A life long Democrat. Oh yes the Book of Revelations all about the Apocalypse.

Many things in the Bible didn't make sense. Loved many of the Bible stories reminding people to be kind to one another. There's a lot of hate too and some scary things especially in Revelations. Kinda frightening to a 10 year old.

I respect everyone's right to practice whatever religion. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I think long ago people needed something to believe in. To have laws in a primitive society. There may have been a real person named Jesus who was the beginnings of Christianity?

The Bible went through many revisions since the beginning. Many years before it was put into the standard King James Version as in book form. A lot was left out. Who chose what to keep in and what not to? its kinda fascinating.

Sorry off track.

Many evangelicals might think about that eventually after they take off their rose colored glasses about Trump. Regarding Trump and Relevations.:lol:

Edit
Religion helps people face death and loss. A belief that you will be with your loved ones again. There is something after death. I'm an agnostic more than an atheist. There might be something out there? We don't know. I had to add that.

My mother taught me that Jesus was the sacrificial lamb who washed away our sins and we weren't required to follow the old laws anymore. Stone to death. Sacrifice. Etc. God also became less bloodthirsty in the New Testament because of that. Must have also been all that pot Jesus was vaping. ;)

Typical hippie. <3

Politics: I sent my mail in ballot a while back already. Awaiting results in CA with anticipation. Which way will my state go? :o

thisperson,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Part of me wants him to get in so that he can burn your political system to the ground

And replace it with what?

And with whom?
Milton Friedman on the misunderstanding of solving political problems:

"I do not believe that the solution to our problem is simply to elect the right people. The important thing is to establish a political climate of opinion which will make it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing."

Last edited:

thisperson

I just found a project to put a timeline re: Hillary's Emails.

http://www.thompsontimeline.com/The_Clinton_Email_Scandal_Timeline

It's pretty objective and I didn't know about that 2000 clip saying she didn't want to use email at all. That's absurd. Why, because of tracking and potential for investigation?

Edit: Direct link for those who don't want to read the timelines.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clinton-emails-timeline-rules-allegedly/story?id=29442707

Hillary Clinton was recorded telling a donor that she didn't like using email.

Home video footage from 2000, shot at a fundraiser by a donor, Peter Paul, showed then-Sen. Clinton talking about how she had chosen to avoid email for fear of leaving a paper trail.

"As much as I’ve been investigated and all of that, you know, why would I?-- I don’t even want-- Why would I ever want to do e-mail?" Clinton said.

"Can you imagine?" she asked.

She's got something to hide.

Edit 2: Further info from part 2 of the short timeline:
June 2013 or Between October 2014 and February 2015: The company managing Clinton's private email server sets up a 30-day retention policy, but there are conflicting accounts of when this occurs. According to Platte River Networks spokesperson Andy Boian in October 2015, Platte River Networks sets up the 30-day policy as soon as it takes over management of Clinton's private email server in June 2013. That means that any deleted emails would disappear after 30 days. This is done at the request of Clinton's representatives from the start of their contract, and the policy never changed. However, government investigators will later find an August 2015 email from a Platte River employee, who will write that Clinton Executive Service Corp., a company controlled by Clinton's associates, asked for the 30-day deletion policy in October or November 2014, and then again in February 2015. In the email, the employee will write, "this whole thing really is covering up some shady shit." McClatchy Newspaper will later note, "Those reductions [in the retention policy] would have occurred after the State Department requested that Clinton turn over her emails." It is not clear who is correct, Boian, the Platte River spokesperson, or the unnamed Platte River employee who wrote the email.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article37968711.html

Last edited:
thisperson,

Gunky

"Hillary Clinton clinches Democratic presidential nomination."
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/politics/hillary-clinton-nomination-2016/index.html

With the momentum that she know has, He's gonna have to literally blow her out of California to even get a minuscule of a chance to turn enough super delegates to make a difference.

How long do ya think it'll take Bernie to come around??

The GOP think that the only reason he's sticking around is that he's banking on an indictment.
I think it is going to take a day or two at the Sanders campaign for all that happened tuesday to sink in. Bernie had ratcheted up his anti-Clinton rhetoric in recent days (and allowed his followers to boo Clinton tuesday night, which I thought poor form when you lose) so it's going to take a little while for him turn himself around, I suspect.

Interesting article about Sanders recent campaign moves which you should definitely read if you still have any illusions about Bernie being a saint: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/bernie-sanders-campaign-last-days-224041

Last edited:
Gunky,

thisperson

I'm still not voting for her, I really hope the convention goes Bernie's way and that she gets indicted. Still reading that timeline. I should pop some corn.

August 2014: A top watchdog non-profit is taken over by a Clinton ally; its effort to force the release of Clinton's emails is shut down. Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) has been one of the top political watchdog organizations, targeting unethical and corrupt behavior in both major political parties. In August 2014, CREW hires David Brock, who is closely tied to Hillary Clinton, to be the new chair of CREW. He will found and run her main Super PAC (political action committee) for her 2016 presidential campaign, as well as leading other pro-Clinton groups. A leadership change soon follows, as those who disagree with the new pro-Clinton focus depart and are replaced by Clinton supporters. When Clinton's email scandal becomes public in March 2015, CREW will stay silent, even though the State Department's inspector general concluded that CREW's request for Clinton's e-mails had been improperly denied. (Bloomberg News, 4/11/2016)

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...chdog-adjusts-to-life-with-partisan-roommates

Like that server manager company dude said. Shady Shit. The more I see of her behavior the more I dislike her. Almost all of this was unknown to me. I had read general information, but no nitty gritty details like this.

TeeJay1952

@thisperson Do you see any difference in Hill's working with the powers that be in order to effect change and Donald's working the crowd to get power and acclaim for himself? Yep, politicians lie, Yep there has been payback for support and lack thereof. Hill may be conniving but that is something we look for in a President. I can't think of anyone with more enemies for longer period of time and NO PROOF, NO INDICTMENTS, NO ARREST just talk and hearsay. If we ask why as opposed to who it seems like a relatively easy choice. The choice twixt her & Bernie was much more difficult.

The choice is not between Jesus and Mao. It is not between Washington and Jefferson. It is between a career politician and a reality star/real estate magnate. What on earth are you guys getting behind? He is going to do great things and we will like it is OK when ordering from a new restaurant but not the way to choose Leader of Free World and responsible for the nuclear option.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Milton Friedman on the misunderstanding of solving political problems:

"I do not believe that the solution to our problem is simply to elect the right people. The important thing is to establish a political climate of opinion which will make it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing."

Problem is that in politic's recent incarnation we have the opposite......we have made it politically profitable for the right and wrong people to do the wrong thing. I don't need much more than watching Paul Ryan and others back Trump while holding their nose to see that.

His_Highness,
Reactions: BD9

grokit

well-worn member
How California Is Being Stolen from Sanders Right Now

[Los Angeles] It’s not some grand conspiracy, but it’s grand theft nonetheless.
Sen. Bernie Sanders’ voters will lose their ballots, their rights, by the tens of thousands.

Purged-Voters-1.png

The steal is baked into the way California handles No Party Preference –”NPP” voters –what we know as “independents.”

There are a mind-blowing 4.2 million voters in California registered NPP – and they share a love for sunshine and Bernie Sanders. According to the reliable Golden State poll, among NPP voters, Sen. Sanders whoops Sec. Hillary Clinton by a stunning 40 percentage points.

On the other team, registered Democrats prefer Clinton by a YUGE 30 points. NPP’s can vote in the Democratic primary, so, the California primary comes down to a fight between D’s and NPP’s.
And there’s the rub. In some counties like Los Angeles, it’s not easy for an NPP to claim their right vote in the Democratic primary – and in other counties, nearly impossible.

Example: In Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, if you don’t say the magic words,“I want a Democratic crossover ballot,” you are automatically given a ballot without the presidential race.And ready for this, if an NPP voter asks the poll worker, “How do I get to vote in the Democratic party primary, they are instructed to say that, “NPP voters can’t get Democratic ballots.” They are ordered not to breathe a word that the voter can get a “crossover” ballot that includes the presidential race.

I’m not kidding. This is from the official Election Officer Training Manual page 49:

“A No Party Preference voter will need to request a crossover ballot from the Roster Index Officer. (Do not offer them a crossover ballot if they do not ask).”

They’re not kidding. Poll worker Jeff Lewis filed a description of the training in an official declaration to a federal court:

Someone raised their hand and asked a follow-up question: ‘So, what if someone gets a nonpartisan ballot, notices it doesn’t have the presidential candidates on it, and asks you where they are?’ The answer poll workers are instructed to give: ‘Sorry, NPP ballots don’t have presidential candidates on them.’ That’s correct: even when people ask questions of that nature, obviously intending to vote with a party.

This affidavit, and several even more horrifying, come from Election Justice USA, a non-partisan watchdog, hoping to get injunctions to stop this nonsense. [Hear my talk with the group’s spokesman, Paul Thomas, on a special edition of The Best Democracy Money Can Buy: Elections Crime Bulletin, which I host with Dennis Bernstein on the Pacifica Radio Network.]

Let me throw in another complication. Nearly half of Californians vote by mail, ballots sent to your home automatically. Most NPP voters don’t realize that, to vote in the Democratic primary today, they must bring in their NPP ballot with the envelope, and say these magic words: “I want to surrender my ballot in return for a Democratic ‘crossover’ ballot.”

Got that memorized? Because if you don’t, if you say the wrong syllables, in some counties, you will be denied a Democratic presidential ballot.

Bruce C. Carter is losing his mind over this. I interviewed Carter who arrived in his Black Men for Bernie bus, decorated with a giant image of Bernie’s arrest while demonstrating for civil rights. Carter warns that, If an NPP voter doesn’t say they are “surrendering” their NPP ballot, the clerk can take it and count it, blank, instead of giving the voter a new one.

black_men_bernie_Bruce-C-Carter.jpeg

It gets far worse. There are simply not enough “crossover” ballots printed. If they run out of ballots, Carter his telling voters to demand a recorded vocal vote using the voice recorders set up for the disabled.

Unfortunately, the games hardly end there. Election Justice filed still more declarations with the courts of poll workers being told to give NPP voters “provisional” ballots even if they say the magic words, “I want a crossover Democratic ballot.” As I’ve previously reported, provisional ballots are “placebo” ballots that let you feel like you’ve voted, but you haven’t. Provisional ballots are generally discarded.

Minutes ago I got a note from NPP voter Olga Martinez in Contra Costa County where she was told she must take a “provisional” ballot. She heard our reports and demanded the Democratic ballot and got it. ML King told us, you don’t get your rights unless you demand them.

And this note just came in minutes ago from my KPFK co-host, Cary Harrison.

“I am in West Hollywood and was just denied voting twice! I’m NPP. I do not even appear on the voting rolls nor does my STREET on the voting rolls. Voting suppression is in full swing.”

Cary just called. He drove to a new precinct as directed: and was again denied a ballot.

And dig this: Some counties are demanding that some of the first-time voters show official voter ID—as if California is now New Alabama. New voters are, in the main, the young Sanders supporters who are now finding out what it’s like to be treated as if they’ve turned Black.

There is no evidence this ‘Grand Theft Voto’ is part of a massive scheme by Hillary supporters to swipe the election. The voting system is run mostly by the Democratic Party which is totally in Hillary’s pocket. So while the establishment party officials know of the absurd impediments to voting, they see no reason to solve these problems because it doesn’t harm “their” voters.

Most of this procedural nonsense, like the need to surrender an NPP ballot with an envelope and request a “crossover” ballot – well, frankly, Bernie’s campaign has known about that all year.

The Sanders campaign was spending time talking policy at giant rallies instead of educating their voters on how to vote. In the rat maze called the American voting system, the painfully amateur Sanders campaign never provided a vote-guiding map.

I don’t believe Clinton booster Governor Jerry Brown intended to play Bull Connor. Nevertheless, Brown and the Democratic establishment’s mad hunger to see their candidate wrap up the nomination, has led them to turn a blind eye to a catastrophe for our democracy.

http://www.nationofchange.org/news/2016/06/07/california-stolen-sanders-right-now/

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It really makes things look bad when super delegates were promised to Hillary Clinton before the primaries even started. The fiasco in California is just another case of a confusing primary with screwy results. I will say it again the Primaries or Caucus need to be streamed lined and all the same - with the same rules for all the states.

Definitely our nominating rules and regulations need to be changed for the better. Throw them out and start all over again. The nomination process needs to be overhauled.

Let's sit back and hope that Donald Trump keeps acting like a moron because he won't be voted in if he does.

His campaign issued a statement in which Trump did not apologize and again said the judge should be removed, but added he would not be commenting further.

Below is a list of comments from more than a dozen Republicans who have slammed Trump’s attacks but not rejected his candidacy. The comments were compiled by the Clinton campaign, which issued a release saying, “While it’s striking that so many Republicans have called out their nominee for his attacks on Judge Curiel, many Republicans are continuing to stand by their endorsement of Trump, seemingly unconcerned about the power a President Trump would have to actually nominate judges and justices.”

Sen. Ben Sasse [R-NE]: “Saying someone can’t do a specific job because of his or her race is the literal definition of racism.”

Sen. Susan Collins [R-ME]: “Donald Trump’s comments on the ethnic heritage and religion of judges are absolutely unacceptable. His statement that Judge Curiel could not rule fairly because of his Mexican heritage does not represent our American values. Mr. Trump’s comments demonstrate both a lack of respect for the judicial system and the principle of separation of powers.”

Rep. Jason Chaffetz [R-UT]: “I think people are disturbed that you would want to try to dismiss a judge based on his ethnicity. You can have qualms with how he’s ruling in the case, you can have qualms about his political affiliation, I think that’s fair game. But why doesn’t he say, look it’s up to the attorneys, it’s in the court, and leave it at that?”

Sen. Marco Rubio [R-FL]: “That man [Curiel] is an American, born in the U.S., a judge who has earned that position. I don’t think it reflects well in the Republican Party. I don’t think it reflects wells on us as a nation.”

Ohio Governor John Kasich: “Attacking judges based on their race and/or religion is another tactic that divides our country. More importantly, it is flat-out wrong.”

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich: “I don’t know what Trump’s reasoning was, and I don’t care. His description of the judge in terms of his parentage is completely unacceptable.”

Brian Walsh, former communications director for Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn: “I don’t care if [Trump’s] the nominee— Republicans should loudly condemn this racist, nonsensical rhetoric by Trump.”

Sen. Rob Portman [R-OH]: “The fact that the judge has a Mexican American heritage has nothing to do with how you should describe his judicial ability. The guy was born in Indiana. He’s as American as I am.”

Rep. Jackie Walorski [R-IN]: “Questioning a judge’s impartiality based on his ethnicity is not only inappropriate, it has no place in American society.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell [R-KY]: “I couldn’t disagree more.” [with Trump’s remarks]

Sen. Bob Corker [R-TN]: “I don’t condone the comments.”

Sen. Jeff Flake [R-AZ]: “His statements this week on the judge—that’s a new level… Because it’s not just… ill-informed or ignorant statements, but they suggest that when he’s president, you know, after November, that… perhaps he ought to go after that judge. That’s a whole new level. So that’s—it’s very disturbing.”

Alberto Gonzales, U.S. Attorney General under President George W. Bush: “I’m not supporting Donald Trump’s comments. … The call for a recusal of a judge based solely on ethnicity in my judgment is wrong and to do it publicly in my judgment demeans the judge and really does hurt the reputation of the judiciary, and I just think it was inappropriate the way that Donald Trump did it in this case.”

Last edited:

Gunky

It really makes things look bad when super delegates were promised to Hillary Clinton before the primaries even started. The fiasco in California is just another case of a confusing primary with screwy results. I will say it again the Primaries or Caucus need to be streamed lined and all the same - with the same rules for all the states.

Definitely our nominating rules and regulations need to be changed for the better. Throw them out and start all over again. The nomination process needs to be overhauled.

-snip-
Come on, there was no fiasco in CA. The system was in place long before the election, registration was possible until quite late, and even if you registered as an independent there was a way to vote in the primary held by the democratic party to select their nominee. Any independent who went to a polling place and insisted on voting for Bernie was able to do so. Stop the whining! Bernie lost and not by a small percentage.

If the democratic primary rules had been as you now desire in this primary season, Bernie would have been eliminated fairly quickly. He was only able to compete because of the rather undemocratic caucus process in some states. The selection process as it exists now worked for Bernie, not against him as you saw very clearly in WA. Overall the process worked well and was remarkably fair and generous to an independent candidate who is not really a member of the party and mostly refuses to help others in the party. And though he criticized supposedly undemocratic provisions in the process, he was all too happy to take advantage of them if they helped him or had the potential to help him. When he thought forcing super delegates to vote according to the popular vote in their state would help him win, he was for that. When he thought convincing super delegates to vote against the popular vote in their state would help him win, he was for that. His supporters typically joined in his "if it helps me it's fair" hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Gunky,

Farid

I almost want Hillary to win. The American public is sick and tired of propping up Saudi Arabia, and it will be awesome watching her backpedal and lie as she tries to pretend she's been against the Saudi power plays all this time.

lwien

Stop the whining!

:rolleyes:(Sigh........)

She's not whining. She's just stating her opinions, observations and perceptions. If she is whining, than just about EVERYONE, including yourself, has been whining in this thread. Your constant "whining" about anything that is pro Bernie or anti Hillary is a prime example of that.

I'm not one that is prone to call anyone out on their posting style, including you, but comon' Gunky. You don't need to label someone as a whiner or anything else just because you disagree with them, eh?

Gunky

:rolleyes:(Sigh........)

She's not whining. She's just stating her opinions, observations and perceptions. If she is whining, than just about EVERYONE, including yourself, has been whining in this thread. Your constant "whining" about anything that is pro Bernie or anti Hillary is a prime example of that.

I'm not one that is prone to call anyone out on their posting style, including you, but comon' Gunky. You don't need to label someone as a whiner or anything else just because you disagree with them, eh?
No. I generally agree with you but this time you are simply wrong. After every contest we heard the process was rigged. Except if Bernie won. That's whining. Bernie lost. It's over. Get over it.

The poor sportsmanship, the opportunistic selective purity, and the whining are shameful. Unfortunately for Bernie it is mostly coming from him and thus cancels out any opportunities for future influence he might have had.

Last edited:
Gunky,

Farid

@Gunky, do you at least acknowledge that it could SEEM rigged that the DNC chair worked as the head of the Clinton campaign in 2008? Not that it is rigged, but can you at least see where Bernie supporters are coming from when they say that?

I probably shouldn't bother because I believe you have blocked me, or you have threatened to block me for disagreeing with you, but I'd love to hear your input.

lwien

Here's my perspective on this.

I voted for Hillary. Do I like her? No. Do I agree with everything she says? No. Do I believe that she's done everything correctly in the past in regards to foreign policy? No. Is she totally trustworthy? No. Does she, for me, stand the best chance as being our president as well as being the best choice between her and Trump? Absolutely.

Am I happy that Bernie has run such a successful campaign? Yes. Am I happy that he hasn't capitulated yet? Absolutely. Why? Because he has successfully pushed her a bit to the left and in my opinion, keeping up that pressure for a bit will make her a better President than if he never ran and once he does finally capitulate and once the emotional dust settles, I feel that the majority of Bernie supporters will come out and vote for her rather than hand the Presidency over to Trump in spite of their dislike for her and I have no doubt, that in the end, Bernie will do whatever he can to make that transition happen.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Who's whining? I'm not.
I don't think Bernie will be the democrats choice unless something really horrible turns out with the emails or something else regarding Hillary. I just think rules need to be stream lined far as rules go in each state. The rules seem to be all over the map. I believe in states rights but some of the rules on both sides are weird in some areas. Rules change and folks don't realize.

We'll also see during the general election people will be standing in long lines to vote. Some states they have old fashioned voting equipment. We have a mail in ballot here in WA state. Why isn't that feasible elsewhere?

I just got something in the mail from the assessor's office having me declare if I was a Democrat or a Republican. I don't even think people should have to do that. Vote for whatever party you want. People should be able to leave that open. What if I wanted to vote Libratarian at the last minute? Why do have to declare a head of time?

Gunky

Here's my perspective on this.

I voted for Hillary. Do I like her? No. Do I agree with everything she says? No. Do I believe that she's done everything correctly in the past in regards to foreign policy? No. Is she totally trustworthy? No. Does she, for me, stand the best chance as being our president as well as being the best choice between her and Trump? Absolutely.

Am I happy that Bernie has run such a successful campaign? Yes. Am I happy that he hasn't capitulated yet? Absolutely. Why? Because he has successfully pushed her a bit to the left and in my opinion, keeping up that pressure for a bit will make her a better President than if he never ran and once he does finally capitulate and once the emotional dust settles, I feel that the majority of Bernie supporters will come out and vote for her rather than hand the Presidency over to Trump in spite of their dislike for her and I have no doubt, that in the end, Bernie will do whatever he can to make that transition happen.
I think we are in basic agreement. I do hope Bernie can see his way to pivoting gracefully but in the meantime he and his supporters still pump out conspiracy theories. Rigged primaries and various other mildewed, poor-sport, lame (and causing unwarranted damage to confidence in the system) excuses for losing outright by several million votes.

When I said stop the whining I meant it to include Bernie and all his minions and true believers; not singling out Carole, though she does whine quite a bit, actually. I am offended at the acrimonious way Bernie is playing it, like not congratulating somebody who has beaten him by every measure, fair and square. That is not how savvy pols behave. He can't decide if he's really a democrat, if he is going to support the dem or blow up the dems... By constantly saying that Clinton's victory is somehow rigged or illegitimate, he de-legitimizes the preference of a clear, thumping majority of voters. He should stop that. And stop talking about flipping super delegates to thwart the will of the electorate. Sheeit!

Last edited:
Gunky,

neverforget711

I almost want Hillary to win. The American public is sick and tired of propping up Saudi Arabia, and it will be awesome watching her backpedal and lie as she tries to pretend she's been against the Saudi power plays all this time.
This also opens her to feminist inconsistency while bartering with them.

I would portend trump would get along with their sabre-rattling man children and maybe find agreement to not protect them at a loss. His comments about nukes are to remind the other countries what exactly they are paying to not have to worry about.

neverforget711,

lwien

This also opens her to feminist inconsistency while bartering with them.

I would portend trump would get along with their sabre-rattling man children and maybe find agreement to not protect them at a loss. His comments about nukes are to remind the other countries what exactly they are paying to not have to worry about.

Huh? :shrug:

lwien,

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
As an outsider looking in with increasing levels of disgust & revulsion at the "democratic system" I genuinely believe now is the time to create a viable third party for America's future.

In Australia we had a party called the Democrats funnily enough & they formed as a result of serious internal division between the established parties much like what is happening now in the US.

The party was founded on principles of honesty, tolerance, compassion and direct democracy through postal ballots of all members, so that "there should be no hierarchicalstructure ... by which a carefully engineered elite could make decisions for the members."[4]:p187 From the outset, members' participation was fiercely protected in national and divisional constitutions prescribing internal elections, regular meeting protocols, annual conferences—and monthly journals for open discussion and balloting. Dispute resolution procedures were established, with final recourse to a party ombudsman and membership ballot.

Policies determined by the unique participatory method promoted environmental awareness and sustainability, opposition to the primacy of economic rationalism (Australianneoliberalism), preventative approaches to human health and welfare, animal rights, rejection of nuclear technology and weapons.

Eventually the party was betrayed by their leader who crossed the floor & joined her secret lovers major party forever compromising the party. Whilst only gaining around 10% of the votes it was enough for the party to gain the balance of power & be able to have significant input into policy. Both major parties had to work with the Democrats & cede to their demands where reasonable if they wanted to get their legislation through. We have a similar party now holding the balance of power called the Greens & although rather extreme they hold significant & growing political power.

This Democrats party was often referred to as Australia's conscience & America needs to develop one STAT. That conscience is Bernie Sanders & America needs him now more than ever.

Top Bottom