The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Well, truth be known, I will have no problem voting for Hillary for President. We actually agree on at least 80% of the issues, and I think that is pretty good. I would guess that I read something like 500-800 pages a month of political news and commentary from both sides of the aisle. Probably more politics than anything other than business related stuff.

And MJ stuff, obviously. :)
I'd like to know what allegiances Hillary might have to big pharma that might influence her direction AFTER her election.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Okay, hows this? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-drug-prices_56008639e4b0fde8b0cf80be

What You Need To Know About Hillary Clinton's Plan For Soaring Drug Prices

She distances herself from an important aspect of Obamacare.
005f04326cb5.jpg

Jeffrey Young Health Care Reporter, The Huffington Post
Posted: 09/22/2015 12:00 AM EDT
5600a2be1c00002500082b74.jpeg
ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON -- Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton will outline a set of policies Tuesday she says will help make prescription drugs more affordable as escalating prices cause rising anxiety among American consumers.

Clinton's plan, a summary of which her campaign provided to reporters Monday evening, mostly represents steps long advocated by Democrats, including giving Medicare the authority to negotiate bulk discounts from pharmaceutical companies. Drug prices and overall national spending on prescriptions have risen in recent years, and a poll last month showed more than 70 percent of Americans think these medicines are too costly.

At an event in Des Moines, Iowa, on Tuesday, Clinton plans to defend the Affordable Care Act against Republican criticisms and pledge to protect and build upon the historic health care reform law enacted by President Barack Obama that remains the subject of intense political dispute.

But Clinton also will symbolically be distancing herself from one aspect of Obamacare by embracing policies targeting the prescription drug industry. Obama and Senate Democrats courted pharmaceutical companies when moving the Affordable Care Act through Congress in 2009 and 2010, and pledged to steer clear of Medicare price negotiation and other policies they opposed in exchange for the industry's political and financial support for the health care reform push.

Gunky

Interesting article from Paul Krugman in the NYT about Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton and econ. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/opinion/democrats-republicans-and-wall-street-tycoons.html
Here's a bit of it:
Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders had an argument about financial regulation during Tuesday’s debate — but it wasn’t about whether to crack down on banks. Instead, it was about whose plan was tougher. The contrast with Republicans like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio, who have pledged to reverse even the moderate financial reforms enacted in 2010, couldn’t be stronger.

For what it’s worth, Mrs. Clinton had the better case. Mr. Sanders has been focused on restoring Glass-Steagall, the rule that separated deposit-taking banks from riskier wheeling and dealing. And repealing Glass-Steagall was indeed a mistake. But it’s not what caused the financial crisis, which arose instead from “shadow banks” like Lehman Brothers, which don’t take deposits but can nonetheless wreak havoc when they fail. Mrs. Clinton has laid out a plan to rein in shadow banks; so far, Mr. Sanders hasn’t.

But is Mrs. Clinton’s promise to take a tough line on the financial industry credible? Or would she, once in the White House, return to the finance-friendly, deregulatory policies of the 1990s?

Well, if Wall Street’s attitude and its political giving are any indication, financiers themselves believe that any Democrat, Mrs. Clinton very much included, would be serious about policing their industry’s excesses. And that’s why they’re doing all they can to elect a Republican.

Last edited:

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Okay, hows this? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-drug-prices_56008639e4b0fde8b0cf80be

What You Need To Know About Hillary Clinton's Plan For Soaring Drug Prices

She distances herself from an important aspect of Obamacare.
005f04326cb5.jpg

Jeffrey Young Health Care Reporter, The Huffington Post
Posted: 09/22/2015 12:00 AM EDT
5600a2be1c00002500082b74.jpeg
ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON -- Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton will outline a set of policies Tuesday she says will help make prescription drugs more affordable as escalating prices cause rising anxiety among American consumers.

Clinton's plan, a summary of which her campaign provided to reporters Monday evening, mostly represents steps long advocated by Democrats, including giving Medicare the authority to negotiate bulk discounts from pharmaceutical companies. Drug prices and overall national spending on prescriptions have risen in recent years, and a poll last month showed more than 70 percent of Americans think these medicines are too costly.

At an event in Des Moines, Iowa, on Tuesday, Clinton plans to defend the Affordable Care Act against Republican criticisms and pledge to protect and build upon the historic health care reform law enacted by President Barack Obama that remains the subject of intense political dispute.

But Clinton also will symbolically be distancing herself from one aspect of Obamacare by embracing policies targeting the prescription drug industry. Obama and Senate Democrats courted pharmaceutical companies when moving the Affordable Care Act through Congress in 2009 and 2010, and pledged to steer clear of Medicare price negotiation and other policies they opposed in exchange for the industry's political and financial support for the health care reform push.
Interesting ...but as I must always ask myself ...what's the back story? And what can she really bring to the table that will loosen the death grip of the medical costs monopoly?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
That's a fair question, but I might rephrase it to "what can ANYONE really bring to the table that will loosen the death grip of the medical costs monopoly?" The real best answer is probably something akin to "Single Payer" which Bernie promises, but no one can actually deliver without a Democrat in the White House and a Democratic House AND Senate, preferably with big majorities. And even then it will be a big fight. But if it were to actually happen and the Govt becomes the payor of all the healthcare bills I think it could happen...

And, btw, I posted only half of that article...

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Looking forward to Bernie being on Bill Maher tonight. I've seen him on Real Time before. Bill Maher always asks the right questions.

I've always liked Bill Clinton, so with Hillary we get Bill.:2c::peace:

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Just recently Hillary's been talking more about her husband I've noticed. He was a good president and he will be a real asset for her to have if she gets to be president.

I think the Republicans will self implode.:worms:
I respect your opinion, as always, but in this case I would rather amend the Constitution to allow Bubba additional consecutive terms then have him ghost write and pull puppet strings from behind the estranged curtain. She reminds me of Chucky's Bride!
Gck3sMi.png

Snappo

Accessory Maker
No Manchurian candidate here. Should Bill try to push her around I expect to see his scrotum hanging from her necklace...

Too far? ;)
I think your point helps me to clarify my point even more - she will reject his good counsel out of spite and to also prove she is her own woman - she is a woman scorned AND a ferocious politician ...ROAD RAGE ON STEROIDS!

Snappo,
Reactions: hibeam

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, I disagree again. If Hillary found no value in his counsel they would likely not still be together. It's not like America wouldn't have forgiven her for dumping him. But they remain together for much more than political reasons, I suspect.
So, what I was suggesting was not that she would or should ignore him, as I think he has a lot to offer her as CK suggests. She just isn't gonna let him push her around or be the "shadow" President. She is her own person, and while they have similar ideals, I think they have different ideas. And she is perfectly capable of expressing and implementing them.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Well, I disagree again. If Hillary found no value in his counsel they would likely not still be together. It's not like America wouldn't have forgiven her for dumping him. But they remain together for much more than political reasons, I suspect.
So, what I was suggesting was not that she would or should ignore him, as I think he has a lot to offer her as CK suggests. She just isn't gonna let him push her around or be the "shadow" President. She is her own person, and while they have similar ideals, I think they have different ideas. And she is perfectly capable of expressing and implementing them.
The very well-known fact of their estrangement, to include the fact that she has beaten and scratched Bill silly while he dodges angrily hurled porcelain vases during these scuffles leads me to believe even further that she will take his suggestions with stinging grains of salt in hand, which she will then without hesitation sadistically rub into his always-fresh bleeding wounds while grinning gloatingly.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lationship-benefit-presidential-campaign.html
http://nationalreport.net/hillary-clinton-resigns-wife-bill-clinton-preparation-2016/

Last edited:
Snappo,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Hey, I am quite sure that the Daily Mail and the National Report are the ideal places to get all the goods on whats going on inside politicians marriages...

But... but... but... What does the National Enquirer think?

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Hey, I am quite sure that the Daily Mail and the National Report are the ideal places to get all the goods on whats going on inside politicians marriages...

But... but... but... What does the National Enquirer think?
:rofl:We shall soon see!:nod:

lwien

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie, Bernie !.............Under his leadership, we will join Denmark, Sweden and Norway into the realm of logical sanity.

While I don't think he stands a chance in hell of winning, does anyone really think that things will change that much under Hillary's leadership? While Bill had the talent to reach across the isle to make things happen for the greater good ( a consummate politician, unlike Obama), does anyone here think that his wife is imbued with those same talents?

So here we are again faced with making the decision of deciding (in the general election), the lessor of two evils.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
the lessor of two evils.
I don't consider Bernie to be an evil at all ...I consider him to be an anti-venom that the "body republic" will most likely reject with all of its organs. It may be too late to turn the track-less train around. Revolution seems full steam AHEAD, and mayhem!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Sadly, I don't think much is gonna change unless we also get a Democratic House and Senate. If the "freedom Party" (what an ironic name) whacks remain in the House it may not matter who is in the White House. That is fixable as the whole House has to be elected every 2 years, but gerrymandering and stupidity make it somewhat unlikely. If someone is willing to spend GOBS (many millions) on explaining this to the American people it is POSSIBLE, but that is all I can give it. It is still very unlikely.

As we have clearly seen, there isn't that much the President can do when congress refuses to give a shit.

grokit

well-worn member
While I don't think he stands a chance in hell of winning, does anyone really think that things will change that much under Hillary's leadership?
Sadly, I don't think much is gonna change unless we also get a Democratic House and Senate.
This may be the biggest difference between bernie and hillary. I wonder if senator sanders, like president (bill) clinton would be able to build some consensus across the isle. I think it may be possible to reach the ones that can still process fiscal logic, were affected by the pope's address like bohner, or are just sick of the polarization that has been preventing basic governance for the last couple of decades. My fear is with hillary we would get more of the obama political style, which as mentioned can be more polarizing than engaging.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
This may be the biggest difference between bernie and hillary. I wonder if senator sanders, like president (bill) clinton would be able to build some consensus across the isle. I think it may be possible to reach the ones that can still process fiscal logic, were affected by the pope's address like bohner, or are just sick of the polarization that has been preventing basic governance for the last couple of decades. My fear is with hillary we would get more of the obama political style, which as mentioned is more polarizing than engaging.
I'd love for our president to be sporting a yamaka into a congressional te ta tete, Tora cradled in arms.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I'd love for our president to be sporting a yamaka into a congressional te ta tete, Tora cradled in arms.

I was just saying something similar in conversation but my visual is the first time Bernie calls on the the folks in the middle east .... lets start with the Iranians :o

The stuff dreams are made of......

His_Highness,
Reactions: Snappo

Snappo

Accessory Maker
:nod:
I was just saying something similar in conversation but my visual is the first time Bernie calls on the the folks in the middle east .... lets start with the Iranians :o

The stuff dreams are made of......
As you say ..."The stuff dreams are made of....":nod:

Snappo,
Top Bottom