suggestions for first vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

superconducter

hi,

need help w/ first vaporizer please!

first, i cannot afford $500+ for a vaporizer no matter how rad it is.

second, since i usually only need to take one or two hits to feel nicely medicated, i need to consider something with an appropriately sized bowl.

i am concerned that the relatively small quantities that i vap will: fall out, burn, or otherwise not vaporize properly as most instructions say something like "pack the bowl....."

any suggestions?

how about the vapor bros vaporizer? any opinions on that? looks easy to use and well priced though i have heard about longevity problems. any experience on that particular model?

feel free to suggest what you think might work.

all suggestions appreciated!

superconducter,

lwien

superconducter said:
hi,

need help w/ first vaporizer please!

first, i cannot afford $500+ for a vaporizer no matter how rad it is.

second, since i usually only need to take one or two hits to feel nicely medicated, i need to consider something with an appropriately sized bowl.

i am concerned that the relatively small quantities that i vap will: fall out, burn, or otherwise not vaporize properly as most instructions say something like "pack the bowl....."

any suggestions?
Purple Days. I too only need about 1 to 3 hits to get toasted, and the Purple Days fits the bill perfectly. It has the smallest bowl of any vape out there. Holds approx. 0.025g.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
2nd that suggestion. It's a great vape and sounds like a perfect fit for you. It's my vape of choice and I've been through quite a few models.

We don't really recommend $500 vapes here. You can't go wrong with a Volcano, but it only does bags :/ and these days you have many other reliable choices for much less $.

The Vapor Bros. is another model that used to be a good safe choice, but even if you really like that particular style of box vape the VaporWarez Vaporcannon can be had for less and has 3 more yrs. on the warranty vs. the VB.

The Purple-Days can't be beat for efficiency, reliability, and all around best value. It's also a functional work of art. Take a look at the PD thread. http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=48 Yes it's long, but it's easy to spot the user feedback posts. Also check out youtube-search for purple-days vaporizer and you'll find demos and some cool durability tests.

max,

superconducter

thanks for the great suggestions.

i don't know if it's appropriate to post my follow-up here but i am curious to know one thing.

with this style of vaporizer that is 'hands free,' is it best to let the weed heat up then take a hit or do you vaporize by pulling air over the heating element and then the packed bowl?

cheers!

superconducter,

The_Algebraist

you need to let the herb heat up a little bit, for example, with the volcano, you let the warm air run through your herb for a 3 to 5 seconds before placing the bag on the unit to capture the vapor.... with the PD pack the bowl and let it sit in the already warmed up unit for a minute or two before taking your first puff, this lets the stem and herb warm up which increases the quality of the hits/vapor.

superconducter said:
thanks for the great suggestions.

i don't know if it's appropriate to post my follow-up here but i am curious to know one thing.

with this style of vaporizer that is 'hands free,' is it best to let the weed heat up then take a hit or do you vaporize by pulling air over the heating element and then the packed bowl?

cheers!

The_Algebraist,

lwien

The_Algebraist said:
.........with the PD pack the bowl and let it sit in the already warmed up unit for a minute or two before taking your first puff, this lets the stem and herb warm up which increases the quality of the hits/vapor.
A minute or two? I didn't know that.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
you need to let the herb heat up a little bit
I wouldn't call it a 'need'. I'd call it a choice or technique. Whether it's the best technique depends on the vape, the temp (if variable), the user, and personal preference.

max,

The_Algebraist

Woops, yeah, i forgot to mention that was how i did it, definitely not a "need-to-do" kinda thing, I mean, you'll get lovely hits without doing it too. Sorry, I'm operating on VERY little sleep, did an hour and a half of training this morning, and have been working under pressure at the 'ol job situation. Plus, I am hungry.

max said:
you need to let the herb heat up a little bit
I wouldn't call it a 'need'. I'd call it a choice or technique. Whether it's the best technique depends on the vape, the temp (if variable), the user, and personal preference.

The_Algebraist,

lwien

Isn't there a danger of losing some THC due to the temps (albiet very low) by leaving a stem in a PD for a minute or two before hitting it?

lwien,

The_Algebraist

Hmm, you know, I wondered the exact same thing when I first started vaping. with the volcano the manual says to let the warm air wash over the bud for about 4 or 5 seconds to initialize the vaporization...

Now that I think about it, I don't let the herb just sit for 2 minutes, i think i do something like 30 -60 seconds, max. It's with the IO that I let the unit warm up for a good 90 seconds with the bowl already packed before I start hitting it.

lwien said:
Is there a danger of losing some THC due to the temps (albiet very low) by leaving a stem in a PD for a minute or two before hitting it?

The_Algebraist,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
lwien said:
Is there a danger of losing some THC due to the temps (albiet very low) by leaving a stem in a PD for a minute or two before hitting it?
The bowl heats up very quickly when inserted in the PD's HE. I tested it yesterday with some dry herb: removed the bowl after 5 seconds and observed a light vapor emanating using a flashlight. A few seconds is all I ever preheat in the PD and I get great hits. I don't preheat with the iinhale either and get vapor right away.

Seems like preheating for a longer timer will give you thicker vapor off the bat, but all the lighter vapor is being wasted. :2c:

Yeah it sounds like the OP should look at the PD thread and vaporpedia entry.

vtac,

The_Algebraist

oh shit, ok, time to readjust my technique. Thanks man, don't want to waste any of that precious (and expensive) vapor.

The_Algebraist,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
lwien said:
Isn't there a danger of losing some THC due to the temps (albiet very low) by leaving a stem in a PD for a minute or two before hitting it?
i sure hope not, usually when i use the pd ill go at a slow pace, it usually takes me 20 mins to a half hour to finish a bowl

Acolyte of Zinglon,

lwien

Acolyte of Zinglon said:
lwien said:
i sure hope not, usually when i use the pd ill go at a slow pace, it usually takes me 20 mins to a half hour to finish a bowl
Me too, but I take the stem out between hits.

lwien,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom