Pen Storm Vaporizer

jmanvfl

What was I gonna put here......
Nice to hear the great reviews on the new mouth pieces and water tool! I got one of these little fellas a couple of weeks ago and really like it. Sure the mp is restrictive but really not more than my indica or FM V8. I solved this for now by removing the metal piece and placing a screen on top of the oven. Word of warning to anyone that does this, the metal insert is what keeps the mp attached so without it, it's VERY easy to knock the mp off, ask me how I know this haha

Anyways, I just ordered the new improved mp, plus the GonG mp and water tool and a budget bubbler. Can't express enough what a pleasant buying experience VapeFiend provides! 1st rate all the way around

max

Out to lunch
Tried the new mouthpieces and they are indeed much better than the original. The glass mp and water tool/gong adapter seem to be the same except for the glass used. There's a large screen area (no restrictor plate) and air flow is increased dramatically- so much so that the glass mp requires me to slow down my draw considerably, in order to avoid too much hot air coming in and drying/irritating my throat. For direct draw I prefer the new modified mp which I assume now comes with the Storm. The restrictor plate has been changed so that there are no longer any holes to get clogged. The screen area is quite a bit smaller than with the glass mp and gong adapter, so it provides some draw restriction but less than the original, and now the screen can just be brushed off between bowls, with only an occasional thorough cleaning needed. This improved mouthpiece erases the one real weakness the vape had, and I can live with the necessary button pressing on a one button unit.

For screen installation on the glass mp and gong adapter, I found that it's best to insert the screen and use the glass to push the screen down to the edge of the mp, leaving a small lip to secure the screen. There's no indentation for the screen, to hold it in place, so you have to be careful not to push the glass down too far, since that would push the screen out. If I were only going to get one of these optional mouthpieces (gong or glass), I'd definitely get the gong adapter (assuming you have glass to use with it), since I prefer the standard/upgraded mp for a cooler draw. I wanted to try the water tool adapter with my Mobius Ion last night, but couldn't find my 14-18 adapter. The silicone on the mp makes a good seal on the 18mm opening though, and vaping a bowl through water offers a very different experience, smoothing out the taste ('end of bowl taste' on portables normally suffers), as water tools do, and allowing much bigger hits and a shorter session. The little Budgie bubbler, which you can get in the Storm Bubbler Bundle, works great too (it's like a mini EVO hydratube), but I wouldn't hesitate to use a full size glass piece with a fully loaded bowl. Using with glass, the Storm can function well as a home vape as well as a portable.

gvapore

Hi!
having used a MFLB and a Volcano for years now, I've been trying the Storm for the a few days and I find it very pocket unfriendly. It just opens loosing content with no prior notice! Maybe a kind of cap/protection clicking and/or closing the unit would be helpful.

I'm now going to order the glass mouthpiece and do some further testing.

max

Out to lunch
I find it very pocket unfriendly.
The top does come off pretty easily but I've pocket carried quite a few times with no problem. It fits in my front pants pocket and the top hasn't come off except once when I had to fish around inside to find my car key. The top and shape make it less than ideal for pocket carry, but in use I really like the shape and it passes easily for a large e-cig.
I'm now going to order the glass mouthpiece and do some further testing.
You won't be any happier with it as far as becoming detached in your pocket. Since the metal restrictor plate isn't used, the mouthpiece is more flexible and comes off easier. I much prefer the new improved mp for pocket carry. It's shorter and takes more pressure to remove.

gvapore

In fact, I've just bought the Storm from a well known dutch online retailer, but I'm wondering if the mp is the old or the new one. Judging from the pix I see around, it seems to be the new one. Maybe you guys can give me a more precise idea.

gvapore,

max

Out to lunch
The upgraded mp doesn't have the 7 small holes in the plate (that get clogged way too fast), just a 5mm hole in the center of the plate with a screen on the other side. You can just brush the screen off between bowl loads, and a thorough cleaning isn't needed frequently.

max,

VapeFiend.com

Retailer
Thanks for the feedback guys, we have some plans to solve the issue of the mouthpiece coming off- first we will soon have a small carry case available that will keep everything safe and secure, and we are also working on a way of keeping the mouthpiece on during travel- it will be something that can be added on to the kit rather than a new mouthpiece or unit design, but it looks like it will work pretty well, watch this space!

UnshavenFish

Received my storm today (along with some other new toys, in less than 24 hours :clap: great service as usual from vapefiend)

Going to keep it short for first impressions, and will update after more use.

I have to say I'm impressed, now while it can't compete with firefly for taste, or crafty in performance it's not trying to, and IMO when talking battery powered for the price it's one of the better options right now :tup:

I have one of the old and new batteries so should make for some fun testing, on first impressions the new one IMO is a good step up in quality (although did come with a higher charge than I would normally expect 4.10v but not a big deal really)

I also got the innokin case

Fits everything I would need on a trip out just nice , and the MP can't come off as it fits top to bottom although the glass MP and GonG won't fit attached but should fit in the new storm case I think.

For me I think I prefer the normal MP for now, restriction on this one suits me better but need to test more.

Lots of other things in my head to cover but it's late so will leave it here for now.

Edit: sorry if the pics huge, I'm on my phone so never see the real size.

UnshavenFish

So it's friday night and I've had a few drinks (probably not the best time to post but here goes :rolleyes:)

Provided it's the same heater as the X-Max V2 Pro, from the user manual you can read: 2200mAh 10C, meaning your battery must be able to output 22A continuous to be safe. If you use a smaller capacity battery it means you will need a even higher C-rate. For instance if your smaller cell is just 1100mAh you would need 20C. I let you do the math, but if your cell can't deliver the amps it will at best get hot and swell, and at worst you'll permanently destroy it... shouldn't explode though, but be safe please.

I'm sure this is what the x-max user manual says, but the storm supplied battery would suggest otherwise (unless I've had too many and am getting my numbers mixed up :ko: please correct me if I'm wrong)

Samsung INR18650-29E, is not a high drain battery, in fact continuous is 2,750mAh and pulse is 8250mAh so 3C max :hmm: IMO if it needed high A then the Samsung INR18650-20R would have been the better choice but at the sacrifice of capacity (everything's a trade off with battery's) if my numbers are right I have a Panasonic NCR18650BE that could work spec wise and with a little more capacity but IMO that small increase would not equate to much if any more usable runtime, I would guess it's the continuous part that we are interested in and with that I'm sure there are some 18350's that would work but because of the much smaller capacity I don't think they would be much use for most users but maybe a few would rather have the smaller size with less runtime :shrug:, and on a battery swell note I like that it has vent holes? on the bottom but IME all the batteries I have made vent (done outdoors and that was the plan:mental:) have vented from the + end, and the battery is a tightish fit so if it swells it would block the vent holes (unless the holes are heat related :shrug:) but I'm sure as a failsafe the + pin and area around it would give before anything went boom, not that I would expect anything like that to happen anyways.

Ok I'm starting to wander a bit :rolleyes: so will finish with a super portable case (kind of)

Maybe not too practical but meh it works :D

And sorry for double post but can't edit anymore :peace:

mod note: Edit window is only 6 hrs. Apology isn't necessary.

jmanvfl

What was I gonna put here......
I got the new improved mp along with the glass pieces and bubbler this past week and am very very pleased! To be honest, the only mp I have tried since they arrived is the water tool adapter and bubbler That's how well they work together. Total game changer for me. It's even taking sessions away from the mighty

Thanks again for the great service @VapeFiend!

johnald81

Hi, today I received my Storm from Vapefiend. While doing some burn-offs I noticed several things which i would like to discuss / get clarified.

1) The button doesn't click like for example FM5 does. According to my brief experience it works when I rather tap on it, actually it's impossible for me to push it and make it travel down. However it's functional this way except very few times, where the "tap" wasn't registered. Is that intentional or does someone else have similar experience?

EDIT: just found out the button clicks when the lower part is unscrewed or empty without battery...

2) It was said several times here and in other threads and also on Storm web page the air path is sealed. I tried to blow some vapor through the mouthpiece down to chamber and noticed vapor coming out from holes for led lights and micro-usb socket. Is that ok, is the air path really isolated and clean?

3) After burn-offs depleted the battery for the first time I unscrew the bottom with intention to change battery. I haw noticed 1-2 small drops of liquid on upper part bottom (the side touching the battery). Is it possible any fumes from battery condensed? Or might it be caused by me blowing into the oven?

Hope someone could shed some light on this for me.

Cheers!

Hi!

Some time ago I wrote about my initial problems with Storm vape (quoted) and after Vapefiend stepped in i promised to come back with update. Well its about three month now so I can share with my long-term experience.

1) Vapefiend customer service is exceptional. They addressed my complaints immediately here and than in following e-mail communication which I had problem to follow, that fast it was :-). The device was replaced and sent with no additional charge to another EU country (about 3 days to receive it).

2) New device no longer had mentioned sealed-path problems or any other I wrote about.

3) Now the quality: everything has been said here, for the price the device has no competition. The design is simple and stealthy and easy to operate. My typical use case is in the crowd on the gig and I really enjoyed Faith No More show few days ago without no stress about filling, assembling etc. thanks to my Storm. And nothing else is expected on Body Count show tomorrow :-) (yes, June seems to be rich on trips back to 90s)

Its pretty effective also. Even lowest temperature give me nice moments of mild medication, 5 min cycle is enough for me to get me set for about 2 hours. Only downsides I encountered - on higher temperatures the device gets pretty hot, vapor is maybe slightly on the harsh side for me (last two temperatures) and the mouthpiece clogs pretty quickly. I am definitely going to order new mps everyone is crazy about here as they seem to solve the problem with harshness and clogging.

4) maybe a suggestion (note sure if possible to make real) - some filling tool, the opening is a bit too narrow for me when I want to refill on the go. Some ss cover of the opening so the material is not flowing into the mp. Now I use spare ss screen delivered together with the device but I would enjoy some more elegant solution.

Thats all for now. Sorry for my lousy English.

max

Out to lunch
on higher temperatures the device gets pretty hot
True, but it's only the top half, and I don't find the mouthpiece getting too hot. I also think 'time at vaping temp' is an issue. If you go to a higher temp from a cold start, you won't find the top half getting hot right away.
vapor is maybe slightly on the harsh side for me (last two temperatures)
I think this is a temp issue, rather than the vape. Higher temp vapor is always more harsh, and the short vapor path on a pocket vape doesn't help.
the mouthpiece clogs pretty quickly.
This is due to the basic design, and will be true with any model with this configuration. I first encountered it when the original DaVinci came out years ago. You can't keep the herb from getting sucked up to the mp screen unless you pack the bowl and can keep it packed down during use (which I don't try to do). The original Storm mouthpiece, with the 7 tiny holes exposed to the bowl contents, did get easily clogged, drastically affecting the draw, and I had to add a screen to the top of the bowl in order to keep the little holes open. The new mp, with 5mm of screen surface as the interface, doesn't get stopped up and restrict air flow like the old one did. I find I can just brush the screen off between bowl loads and keep going.

some filling tool, the opening is a bit too narrow for me when I want to refill on the go.
Common problem with quite a few portables, and I can't think of anyone that supplies a loading tool. Here's a cheap solution though. I use these for portable loading and they work very well. http://www.buyincoins.com/item/1923.html#.VYA3APlViko Cheap and free shipping (although don't expect to get it fast).

UnshavenFish

True, but it's only the top half, and I don't find the mouthpiece getting too hot

I agree while the top half does get warm (I say warm as I would class hot as uncomfortable to hold) the MP on mine stays cool, and even after 5 back to back sessions the battery stays quite cool considering :clap:, only getting as warm as if you sat with it held in your hand for a while.

On a loading note I have been using a whole nug (some friends have said this way is a little less harsh) and getting good results, and have a small glass jar from a salt water test kit (same size as an 18650 battery,shown in above pic) that works well for preground.

For temps I like the purple and white (I'm a little numb when it comes to heat/harshness :mental:) but vapefiends budget bubbler does mean my friends can use these temps without irritation/coughing, nice little setup with the GonG MP.

I have been playing with concentrates lately and after trying the steel cap have to say I wasn't that impressed, lots of draw resistance and while I like some this was too much for me, after making a few airflow holes in the cap this was improved (this is something vapefiend are already in the process of adding to the steel caps) I have the titanium cap ordered and this should solve the issue as it has holes already, will report back with results, always good to see improvements being made and I think vapefiend are doing a good job on any issues so far :rockon:

Lots of other vapes out there at this sort of price but for me the options with this vape mixed with vapefiends customer service make it a no brainer.

Yabber Dabber

Hi there new to this and also pretty new to vaping :)

Ive just recently bought myself a Storm Vape Pen, and am loving it! Just want to know how everyone else finds it and if they have any useful tips for using/cleaning it?

My favourite functions the oil/wax chamber its amazing and you get all the flavour of your concentrates and i find that its a nice head high!

Anyway look forward to your replies!

Yabber DABber

VapeFiend.com

Retailer
So glad to see so much great feedback on here after a few days away.

Thanks @max for pointing out that the new improved airflow mouthpiece is a vast improvement on the original. If you're not sure which one you have, the new on has one large hole in the metal insert, while the original one had 7 small holes. If you have the original one, please email us, as you are entitled to a free upgrade (postage not included).

I agree while the top half does get warm (I say warm as I would class hot as uncomfortable to hold) the MP on mine stays cool, and even after 5 back to back sessions the battery stays quite cool considering :clap:, only getting as warm as if you sat with it held in your hand for a while.

Great tip, I too hold the Storm at the battery end, but we have heard from several customers who don't like the heat at the top of the unit, and we are almost done with a solution to this, which will also keep the mouthpiece secure while the Storm is in the user's bag. I should have more details and pics very soon!

On a loading note I have been using a whole nug (some friends have said this way is a little less harsh) and getting good results, and have a small glass jar from a salt water test kit (same size as an 18650 battery,shown in above pic) that works well for preground.
This is an amazing tip, I had never even tried the Storm without grinding, but it works so well! Thanks @UnshavenFish!

For temps I like the purple and white (I'm a little numb when it comes to heat/harshness :mental:) but vapefiends budget bubbler does mean my friends can use these temps without irritation/coughing, nice little setup with the GonG MP.
With the Bubbler I love purple, such great flavour considering the vapour is going through water

I have been playing with concentrates lately and after trying the steel cap have to say I wasn't that impressed, lots of draw resistance and while I like some this was too much for me, after making a few airflow holes in the cap this was improved (this is something vapefiend are already in the process of adding to the steel caps) I have the titanium cap ordered and this should solve the issue as it has holes already

Sorry for the confusion about this- we have been telling our customers that you can get great results from concentrates with the Storm but we haven't really made it clear that the best results come when using the Titanium capsule rather than the Steel one that is included in the kit. This is nothing to do with the metal they're made from, but more because the Titanium one has the new airflow holes, which the steel one does not. We are indeed working on fixing this so that the Steel one also has the airflow holes.

The reason we didn't include them at first it that we were thinking more people would want to use e-liquid with the Storm, and having the holes is a bad idea with e-liquid, as they increase the risk of liquid seeping into the electronics. But we have found that hardly anyone uses e-liquid with the Storm, so we are rolling out the airflow holes in the standard capsules soon.

Ive just recently bought myself a Storm Vape Pen, and am loving it! Just want to know how everyone else finds it and if they have any useful tips for using/cleaning it?

My favourite functions the oil/wax chamber its amazing and you get all the flavour of your concentrates and i find that its a nice head high!

Great that you are getting good results with wax :-) To clean the Storm I use alcohol wipes for the chamber and metal mouthpiece insert. I soak the screens in a little jam jar with isopropyl alcohol, then rinse thoroughly, and for the mouthpiece rubber and outside of the unit I use a solvent-free cleaner. The capsule can be totally dismantled using the tweezers provided, just take out the screen and the cotton wick underneath it, then I soak the metal parts and just use fresh cotton wick bought from ebay to replace the old one.

Happy Storming everyone :-)

Edwardo

Is there any advantage to using the glass mouth piece than the GonG mouthpiece (in both cases without a bubbler)? I was thinking of getting the storm/bubbler kit, which comes with the GonG lid, but don't want to buy the glass mouth piece if its just the same effect as the Gong (when dry hitting).

Thanks
E

johnald81

If you have the original one, please email us, as you are entitled to a free upgrade (postage not included).
Sorry, just to make it clear for me - as a customer who bought Storm vap., I can have old type mp replaced for the new one for free? If yes does the free shipping apply to outside UK EU countries as well? Thanks for clarification.

johnald81,

UnshavenFish

So I received my titanium cap and it's a big improvement over the steel one when it comes to airflow :clap: having said that it's still not quite where I would like it, for sipping its great or mouth pulls but for a deep lung inhale it's still a little restrictive (for my taste, others may vary) so I made quite a few adjustments to my steel cap to find my sweet spot, four holes starting at 5/64 size then five bits later finished at 5/32 I think this is where I'm happy but am now out of concentrates :doh: next batch should be finished tomorrow so I can give it a final test, but it feels like it now has a similar restriction to the improved MP so that should be me done.

Cap on the right is my modified steel cap.

And I'm going to have a play with some batteries, after reading the x-max recommends something quite different it's been on my mind :mental: after a little searching through draws I found quite a few of the usual suspects including the Samsung 25r (x-max recommended I think?) personally I don't thing high amps are needed and I think I will find its a bit of a waste of time but it's in my head now so it's out of my control im just a passenger along for the ride :lol: the batteries range from 2200mAh to 3200mAh and are a mix of A ratings, to keep things as comparable as I can I plan on doing almost like a burn off (remove MP set to green and start a session (till auto cutoff) and count the session on each battery.

The reason we didn't include them at first it that we were thinking more people would want to use e-liquid with the Storm

This makes perfect sense both from a spillage point of view and also the way e-liquids hit with this kind of delivery system, I do keep a bottle of e-liquid in my case now (just for added stealth) but had never thought to try it in the storm itself, probably never will though as I'm happy with my current coil/wick setup on my subox mini (50W) and I don't think the storm could perform anywhere close to this for e-liquid for my usage (and I wouldn't expect it to either as its a completely different beast)

Still really liking the storm, it's been put through the its paces while working on my cousins house (seems like a never ending project :bang:) mixed with a Vapman (to cover charge time) it has kept all five of us very happy while working :tup: it's simple enough that anyone can pick it up and get good results, and sturdy enough that I don't mind others using it.

I'm sure if the storm can put up with this environment (and this is the good side of the room :lol:) and four other heavy handed tradesmen using it it can be classed as rugged enough for use anywhere, as long as you can remember where you put it down :hmm: but find the storm was a good game :D

VapeFiend.com

Retailer
Sorry, just to make it clear for me - as a customer who bought Storm vap., I can have old type mp replaced for the new one for free? If yes does the free shipping apply to outside UK EU countries as well? Thanks for clarification.

Read it again dude, it says postage not included! ;-) Please email us for details of how to claim.

@UnshavenFish Nice work with the modding, but do be careful, big holes like that are way more likely to allow melted oil to drip down below the chamber. Personally I think it's safer to just sip and leave the holes as they are, but so long as you're keeping the storm upright at all times when using your concentrates (and when you put it down afterwards) you might be OK.

UnshavenFish

big holes like that are way more likely to allow melted oil to drip down below the chamber. Personally I think it's safer to just sip and leave the holes as they are

Have to agree here, after testing my final holes it did indeed start to get very close to spillage (I don't think it was going to spill but I was ready for this anyways and those tweezers came in handy just in case) to remedy this I removed the screen (the wick I had already removed) and now it can be used without any spillage worry as long as it stays upright, so my steel cap will be for personal usage only now as if I mess something up I can deal with that (kinda like if I stick my finger in a fire and get burned that's my fault) but don't want to risk it with others.

I also realise that if playing with different battery's messes something up (it won't as I know all my batteries are what they claim to be but if it did) that would also be my fault and I wouldn't expect any warranty help with any problems I have caused.

I just get bored easy and like to try to make things better or better suited to my needs (ok maybe not needs but wants, and sometimes my 'wants' are unrealistic) for most people I'm sure the titanium caps (or the steel caps when air holes are added) will work great :tup: as i know my usage is not normal :mental: and IMO the titanium caps (with holes) are a big step up from the steel caps (no holes)

Something else I have found useful is the pack of five small nogoo containers (these ones)
http://www.vapefiend.co.uk/nogoo-non-stick-silicone-containers-x-5.html
As two concentrate caps fit in one of these just right, even when hot :rockon:

max

Out to lunch
Looks like this vape continues to fly under the radar, at least on FC. My wife took a liking to it so I ordered another yesterday, and Vapefiend's limited FC discount for 27.53% off (fcstorm) is still in effect. Not only is that a great price, but I ordered the Nitecore Intellicharger i2, for charging various battery sizes and types, and since it's listed as a Storm accessory, the discount applies to that as well. Adding that also allowed me to get free shipping, so between the discount and eliminating the shipping charge, the vape and charger were just over $80, and I ended up getting the charger for under a buck, vs. buying the vape alone. :cool:

bounce5

Looks like this vape continues to fly under the radar, at least on FC. My wife took a liking to it so I ordered another yesterday, and Vapefiend's limited FC discount for 27.53% off (fcstorm) is still in effect. Not only is that a great price, but I ordered the Nitecore Intellicharger i2, for charging various battery sizes and types, and since it's listed as a Storm accessory, the discount applies to that as well. Adding that also allowed me to get free shipping, so between the discount and eliminating the shipping charge, the vape and charger were just over $80, and I ended up getting the charger for under a buck, vs. buying the vape alone. :cool:

I went and tried to add this combo with the fc discount but it comes out to around $97 US dollars for me with free shipping.

bounce5,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Does the latest Storm have the latest xmax updates of the new button click system? Now it's more like Flowermate and Imag, less tapping, hold down to cycle temps

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: tripwire
Top Bottom