Pen Storm Vaporizer

piester

Just got it today. Was curious about a few things.
In the instructions when charging it says to plug in the mains adapter and turn it on. I'm guessing that means turn the storm on with the 5 click and not the 3 click to turn the heater on. How can I tell if it's actually charging? With it on or off nothing lights up when I plug it in like my last one.

Ruta

You've just made me plug mine in for the first time! I use a battery charger. My battery is dead and when i plugged my unit it into my computer USB the Storm lights up Green.
Then it went to white in a short space of time, all this is with the unit off altogether

Last edited:

UnshavenFish

Just got it today. Was curious about a few things.
In the instructions when charging it says to plug in the mains adapter and turn it on. I'm guessing that means turn the storm on with the 5 click and not the 3 click to turn the heater on. How can I tell if it's actually charging? With it on or off nothing lights up when I plug it in like my last one.

Like @Ruta i had never charged in the storm so had a play, first I think when it says plug in the mains adapter and turn it on, it means turn the plug on rather than the storm, as there is no need to have the device powered on to charge it (infact with almost every vape charging and using at the same time should be avoided)

I don't have any empty cells but tried a almost fully charged cell and the white light came on the storm (unit is turned off, all lights flashed when I insert the charger then the white stayed on) I guess when fully charged it will flash (will update when fully charged to confirm, although it's running at 0.09A so could be a little while) I tried a storage charge cell (around 3.6v) and the same happened but this time the green light stayed on (solid) I would guess an empty cell would show a solid red light.

Ahh ok so white light has just gone off and amps dropped to 0 so charge has finished, so when fully charged you get no lights (other than red/white/green flashing when charger is inserted) so if you get these lights flashing then no lights you cell is fully charged, you can test this by turning your storm on (5 clicks) you should get the flashing lights then the white light should flash (to show full charge) then choose your temp with 3 clicks.

The single light that shows after the red/white/green flash on startup shows rough charge level, white = full green = mid charge and red = low

piester

Ah. Looks like mine won't charge. Tried both batteries in it. Plugged my cheap vape into the cable and it charges fine. Tried a different cable to charge it and it wouldn't hold in. Very disappointed as I'm in the U.S. And have no way to charge the batteries. I wonder how long the warranty process will take. I ordered it on August 11th and just got it today.

piester,

UnshavenFish

Sorry to hear it, it might be Monday before you can get in contact with @VapeFiend.com but I'm sure they will look after you :nod:

Not sure how long things will take with regards to any delivery (with customs playing a part, you know how they are :bang:) I know in the UK I get my orders from them the next day (normally in less than 24 hrs) and minor issues have been resolved with the same speed, and they were a pleasure to deal with.

UnshavenFish,

piester

I used it for a session on the power the batteries had left after a few but offs and it wasn't bad. I don't think it was heating up all the way. On high it was barely producing a cloud. I did get the water piece to work on my other vape and it is an amazing piece glass. Hopefully I get a good storm soon.

piester,

VapeFiend.com

Retailer
I used it for a session on the power the batteries had left after a few but offs and it wasn't bad. I don't think it was heating up all the way. On high it was barely producing a cloud. I did get the water piece to work on my other vape and it is an amazing piece glass. Hopefully I get a good storm soon.

Sorry to hear that you had these problems piester, please contact us via the warranty section of our website and we will troubleshoot the problem with you. It might just be a faulty battery.

piester

I did, it won't charge with either of the batteries I have and the cords for charging don't seem to fit the plug. I sent you pics of the charging port

At least I got the storm thread to 5 pages haha

Last edited by a moderator:

piester

Looks like I'll be posting my storm back to vapefiend. Wonder how long until I'll see one again. Haha.

piester,

FlyingDane

Hi @FlyingDane, thanks for the update on your situation. Please do keep us informed about the new battery, it seems like it may have solved the problem but perhaps it is too early to tell.

4 weeks later, and I think I owe you an update about my battery issue. :)

The new spare battery you sent has continued to work flawlessly. And since my last reply I only experienced problems with my other spare battery twice. Each time it was sufficient to reset the Storm by removing the battery and inserting it again after 10 seconds. The original battery, which was the most troublesome I simply just retired to back-up battery, and haven’t used it since. So the last couple of weeks the Storm has worked perfectlywith 2 batteries, and I’m very happy I avoided the expensive return. :)

My Storm has now got me through 65 successful sessions. I’m hoping it’ll last me another 935 over the next couple of years. Does any of you more experienced vapers know if that’s a realistic expectation to an electronic vape like the Storm? :shrug:

Looks like I'll be posting my storm back to vapefiend. Wonder how long until I'll see one again. Haha.

I feel your pain. :( But the few times I have had been in contact with vapefiend they have been very fast on both replies and orders, so I'm crossing my finger for a rapid return. :)

piester

They have been very good about getting back to me. I just want to use it lol. I did end up getting my cheap vape to work again though. And I made an adaptor for it to use the bubbler on it. It's an impressively nice piece of glass. Especially for my uses.

Jealousy

I have alot to say about the Storm, but to keep it simple, I haven't regretted switching from my Crafty to the Storm with a bubbler- mouthpiece.

From taste- perspective, the Storm holds up pretty good on first 2 heat- settings, but after that the taste gets kind of bland compared to Crafty. But, with the bubbler mouthpiece, this thing can really perform and make the higher heat settings even more enjoyable than with the Crafty. The battery life is also pretty good and with a spare on the carry case, this thing can keep you medicated for several sessions.

Works really great with small loads and I made a DIY liquidpad from a Craftys liquidpad so that the load keeps still and so that the finer grind doesn't get to the screen. Works like a charm and keeps the unit maybe a bit cleaner.

Keep in mind though, that the unit gets kind of hot after a full session on a highest settings. Luckily it also cools down quickly.

PS. Great servie from Vapefiend.com ! Original order came superfast and after having a small defect on a accessory, they immediately sorted it out.

NickJ

Hi, I've just ordered the storm, should be arriving next week. I suffer from a chronic inflammatory illness and have been using cbd oil. I'm not sure how much it helps yet, could be placebo but does seem to take the edge of some of the meds I'm on and seems to help me sleep. Anyway my question, is it possible to vape this type of oil in the storm (it's a product called cibidol) or is a cbd e-liquid a better option? Thanks in advance.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Yes you can although the provided cup doesn't work really well, a better option is to use SS wool or cotton to soak your oil (....but I never tried this sort of cbd oil, only homemade shatter straight from flowers/trim/hasch....).

Storm is a good choice and I'm very satisfied with my unit...but after some months of regular use (3 i think) my battery start to get a lower autonomy (2 sessions at blue/green/purple and I'm on red battery level, in comparison my Inhalater Xp battery is still going strong after +2 years of regular use!

Luckily you can switch to a new battery, it's possible but a bit awkward with the Xp...

VapeFiend.com

Retailer
Thanks for the feedback PPN, actually all Storms now come with a Samsung 2900 mAh battery that performs much better in the long term. You'll know if you have this newer battery because it is lilac coloured instead of blue.

UnshavenFish

@VapeFiend.com the storm I just ordered came with the blue batteries

Both can look blue in the right light (my pic is not good lighting but should show the difference, also sorry about the size it's late and I don't have the brain function right now)

The left cell (INR18650-29E) is the newer one, the right cell is the stock great power (ICR18650)

UnshavenFish,
Reactions: PPN

piester

Oh ok. The left cell is more of a baby blue while the right is navy or purple ish. Right? Also. I got my confirmation on my new storm coming to me

piester,

piester

First impressions:
Good:
heats up quicker than I expected.
The threading on the storm is machined amazingly well. On both pieces. (Machinists opinion) not something you usually see on units this low in the price range.
The mouth pieces (stock and gong) are both made as simply as they could be it seems. Easy to clean. Nothing to snap off that holds the mouth piece on.

Neutral:
Button click is loud. But it's a button.

Bad:
Bowl is only half the size of my backup vape. And the auto off is half as long. So twice as many fills I guess.

On a side note:
Battery life seemed pretty bad but that needs more usage to really know. The battery in my backup lasted for the same amount of time as 3 18650s but th were charged when I first got the storm and sat while I went through the warranty process

piester,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
A mod I use for the classic mouthpiece:

I take off the metal screen from the silicone mp and I put a Nano screen in the bowl to keep the load in place, very large airflow!

Here a very bad pic of my mod (sorry I get a prehistoric phone!)
Dz5GmXz.jpg

Mr. Whitewall

Nice mod! :clap:Could you please elaborate a little more on this?
I was fearing my Storm was faulty, but it may be bad airflow? It hasn't seen much use since I got it TBH :ugh:

My gripe with the device is that cooks too much the load whilst getting up to temp and doesn't give much vapor once there, just 2 very harsh drags and that's about it.

I'll give that a try or contact support if it doesn't work. Really want to like this 1... :(

Mr. Whitewall,
Reactions: PPN

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Which setting did you use? How much time until it reach the temp?

I never got issues to get vapor with this vape, fine or coarse grind, low or high temp, it always make the job for me!

My mod didn't help to get thicker vapor cause a larger airflow=more air and less vapor but if you like high temp it helps to manage big clouds dry.

My mod is nice to keep the unit clean (I'm a lazy guy and was bored to clean screens in ISO...) and for larger airflow.

I use mine on setting 2 first but I start to vape before the led tell you it's ok (sorry about my poor english but sometimes some words miss to me and I'm lazy to look for them...although I could search in place to type that!) and get nice whispy and tasty clouds from the first draw to the last (2x5mn session using all the settings except the higher one and the lower one).

IMhO it is a great little and humble vaporizer!

Top Bottom