StemPod by MPL

GTAVaper

@PaperClouds
If you read the thread you will see they glow. There is a whole discussion on trying to find the coils that glow at higher temps. I have the glow a metallic Base 510 too and it glows too needing the same kind of watts. The wooden IMP Base needs less heat and indeed doesn't glow around 420 but does around 440 (the temps are just an example with tc you kind of set the scale) to finish with dark abv.

Wow...seems like its been forever since I last posted!

The only coils that I have that work well without producing any glowing coils are the HD coils set up as quads and these are a little hard to control outside of TC mode as they store a hell of a lot of heat and once it reaches the right heat levels, or climb little too high and you are in danger of combusting ...the coils hold the heat for longer and you have to be careful not to combust.

Even in TC mode I omit the o-ring, have half the airflow half open and am ready to pull the StemPod off the waterpipe off a little and create even more cool airflow as I draw if I see the vapor getting too thick.

The upside of these coils is that they still look brand new after a couple months of usage and I have no idea how long they will last but so far they look to be lasting far longer than the regular quad Claptons which will glow while in use.

I would recommend this set up but not as your only set up. This setup works well with waterpipes and right now I am also enjoying the ceramic Divine Tribe coils with my Si setup for direct draw through a mouthpiece as a change to always using a waterpipe which has been my main method for using the StemPod so far.

I also have another spare deck that I am thinking of trying either a dual or quad Kanthal setup.

I am curious if anyone has tried a quad Kanthal setup yet and how this setups works, how durable it seems, and how it compares to a dual coil Kanthal setup.

This stove-top pancake coils also looks really intriguing too ...so maybe that is something that I might try with my third deck too....it is so nice to have so many options with the StemPod...and I am really loving the cooling stem for direct draw!

Last edited:

Sativapo

Wow...seems like its been forever since I last posted!

The only coils that I have that work well without producing any glowing coils are the HD coils set up as quads and these are a little hard to control outside of TC mode as they store a hell of a lot of heat and once it reaches the right heat levels, or climb little too high and you are in danger of combusting ...the coils hold the heat for longer and you have to be careful not to combust.

Even in TC mode I omit the o-ring, have half the airflow half open and am ready to pull the StemPod off the waterpipe off a little and create even more cool airflow as I draw if I see the vapor getting too thick.

The upside of these coils is that they still look brand new after a couple months of usage and I have no idea how long they will last but so far they look to be lasting far longer than the regular quad Claptons which will glow while in use.

I would recommend this set up but not as your only set up. This setup works well with waterpipes and right now I am also enjoying the ceramic Divine Tribe coils with my Si setup for direct draw through a mouthpiece as a change to always using a waterpipe which has been my main method for using the StemPod so far.

I also have another spare deck that I am thinking of trying either a dual or quad Kanthal setup.

I am curious if anyone has tried a quad Kanthal setup yet and how this setups works, how durable it seems, and how it compares to a dual coil Kanthal setup.

This stove-top pancake coils also looks really intriguing too ...so maybe that is something that I might try with my third deck too....it is so nice to have so many options with the StemPod...and I am really loving the cooling stem for direct draw!
How are the ceramic divine tribe coils? Do they glow in dual setup, do they allow to vape to full dark abv without glowing on the 'legs' ?

Sativapo,

GTAVaper

How are the ceramic divine tribe coils? Do they glow in dual setup, do they allow to vape to full dark abv without glowing on the 'legs' ?

Yes the ceramic coils will still glow but the heat levels are easier to control with draw speed than with regular coils. I have mine set in wattage mode at 55.5 W and let it preheat the full 10 secs and the coils will glow bright red at around 5 seconds and then I let it rest a couple of seconds after this and then start drawing slowly while firing the coil and then let it time out or if I feel like the vapour is getting too hot then just stop firing.

But I was looking at the coils while preheating to 10 seconds just now and I think that is too much as the coils get too glowing a red colour ...so probably a 5 second preheat before hitting it would be better just so the coils start to glow red before you start running the air over them to vape with.

I haven't done a lot of direct draw in the past and when I did I had some difficulty maintaining the proper heat levels. I think that the ceramics leave you a little more buffer room to maintain a more even temperature range over the coils because of the greater thermal mass of the ceramic.

I'm not sure what it is as I still have to experiment but it just seems easier to get consistent results with the ceramic coils. I think to get a better answer I will have to play with direct draw more or perhaps someone who uses the StemPod a lot with direct draw and has used the ceramics back to back with their regular wire coil setup would be a better person to respond to how the ceramics compare.

You still have to be careful and rotate the stem or stir though because if you use too high a heat you still get the barrel shaped char marks in the herb directly beneath the coils.

GTAVaper,
Reactions: Sativapo

Easywider

Simple is the way
guys do you know if these nipple stem for the splinter z are compatible with the stempod og?

https://www.vaposhop.it/vaporizzatori-accessori/rbt-splinter-xl8r-set-bocchini-raffreddamento/

also do you know where i can find a short stem (maybe a wood or another sturdy material one) for outdoor in europe?

thanks.

Xl8R stems will fit , they have a shorter joint length so your material will be about 3mm further away from the heater so you may have to bump your temp up slightly to compensate. But they will fit just fine.

Not in Europe but @Alan turns some of the nicest stems Ive seen.

Easywider,
Reactions: Summer

Wolf46

Vapor War Team Cap
Xl8R stems will fit , they have a shorter joint length so your material will be about 3mm further away from the heater so you may have to bump your temp up slightly to compensate. But they will fit just fine.

Not in Europe but @Alan turns some of the nicest stems Ive seen.
Thanks.

Maybe i can use the little nipple stem if it's not to long.

What is the optimal range of wattage for the stempod? 30 to 50W??

I never used a mod box so i'm trying to understand what wattage range can replicate my temp step up session to squeeze more hits from a single load. (Usually from 165°C to 220°C)

Thanks.

Wolf46,

deadlytoaster

Canadian lost in Europe
Figured you guys could help here.

Hey guys I swapped my coils out in my Mistvape Imp (which uses standard SS 316L claptons) for SS 316L staggered fused claptons by UD, but after adjusting settings for it in AF, it doesn't seem to recognize any temperature on the coil, yet the old coils still relay that info. Anyone know why that is? It just says 21 celcius no matter if the coil is at a diff temp.

EDIT: NVM I had my TCR and resistance wrong zoopsie

Last edited:
deadlytoaster,
Reactions: Easywider

david8613

new guy here, I have a stempod og set up coming my way with a wismec sinious p80. any quick advice for initial set up? what settings should I be at? I heard about using special software on these mods, what is recommended for the wismec sinious p80 to well with the stempod. I will continue reading and learning on this thread to get more information and familiar, just wanted to get a little quick start guide on using a 510 mod with stempod.

SparkyMcBowl

new guy here, I have a stempod og set up coming my way with a wismec sinious p80. any quick advice for initial set up? what settings should I be at? I heard about using special software on these mods, what is recommended for the wismec sinious p80 to well with the stempod. I will continue reading and learning on this thread to get more information and familiar, just wanted to get a little quick start guide on using a 510 mod with stempod.

Start out in Power/Watt mode around 25-30, move the power up or down and figure out what you like before getting too far into the weeds with upgrading the firmware. With the OG Stempod, you can use TC out of the box, but I'd still recommend sticking with watts. It's just easier.

Urbanistic

Retailer

I'd just suggest making sure you have a few good batteries for your P80. I did have a few issues with mine. @SparkyMcBowl is giving great advice. Get started in wattage mode especially if you're unsure on how to set the firmwares up. It is fairly easy to do. Feel free to message me if you need help.

Urbanistic,
Reactions: jbm

jbm

I'd just suggest making sure you have a few good batteries for your P80. I did have a few issues with mine. @SparkyMcBowl is giving great advice. Get started in wattage mode especially if you're unsure on how to set the firmwares up. It is fairly easy to do. Feel free to message me if you need help.
I have an Si on a Espion 200W and have been using wattage mode with a set of SS coils. I've felt no need to move to TC and I'd second the advice from @Urbanistic and @SparkyMcBowl - play with it in wattage mode first and then if you feel the need, there's lots of information here on how to move to TC mode.

jbm,

david8613

Ok I have 2 mods that i have to test out stempod one is the sinuous p80 and wesmic rx 200. Can you tell me the recommended settings for dry herb.

Also I was looking at vaporesso gen mod. Is this a good mod box to use with stem pod? Can i upgrade firmware to custom firmware on this model?

david8613,

david8613

Start out in Power/Watt mode around 25-30, move the power up or down and figure out what you like before getting too far into the weeds with upgrading the firmware. With the OG Stempod, you can use TC out of the box, but I'd still recommend sticking with watts. It's just easier.

I updated factory firmware, you said to start at wattage mode 25-30, what temp do I use? any other settings I should mess with before I do my first vape sesh?

david8613,

Traveler

I updated factory firmware, you said to start at wattage mode 25-30, what temp do I use? any other settings I should mess with before I do my first vape sesh?
when using wattage mode you dont set the temperature, you would pulse by vapor feel

Traveler,

Urbanistic

Retailer
@david8613

As above @SparkyMcBowl Is describing the 'pulsing' technique.

Wattage mode doesn't really have a limit to how hot those coils will get, no in our good old dry herb vaporiser sense anyway. It's going to keep producing heat whenever you hold your button down.

What you need to do is balance your inhale and the pressing of the button to come to a point where you get the right vapour/experience for your preference. This might mean heating it before inhaling then letting go and maybe pushing the button again mid draw if you feel it go cooler (pulsing the button)

You can char the herb doing this and you can get underwhelming results too. Again experience/technique will determine a lot of this. I also like to adjust the airflow open and draw as lightly as I can but others will have different preferences. Experiment. Fiddle. Find your zone and you'll end up loving the stempod.

I usually start a little lower 33-36 watts but again that's just me. My light draw isn't going to cool those coils as much as a vacuum but so less juice is going to be required.

Hope you get sorted. You're in one of the best places if you need further help.

I'm thinking it could be interesting for you to set up temp control too now but if say at least give it a day or two with this mode and see how you get on.

Urbanistic,

david8613

@david8613

As above @SparkyMcBowl Is describing the 'pulsing' technique.

Wattage mode doesn't really have a limit to how hot those coils will get, no in our good old dry herb vaporiser sense anyway. It's going to keep producing heat whenever you hold your button down.

What you need to do is balance your inhale and the pressing of the button to come to a point where you get the right vapour/experience for your preference. This might mean heating it before inhaling then letting go and maybe pushing the button again mid draw if you feel it go cooler (pulsing the button)

You can char the herb doing this and you can get underwhelming results too. Again experience/technique will determine a lot of this. I also like to adjust the airflow open and draw as lightly as I can but others will have different preferences. Experiment. Fiddle. Find your zone and you'll end up loving the stempod.

I usually start a little lower 33-36 watts but again that's just me. My light draw isn't going to cool those coils as much as a vacuum but so less juice is going to be required.

Hope you get sorted. You're in one of the best places if you need further help.

I'm thinking it could be interesting for you to set up temp control too now but if say at least give it a day or two with this mode and see how you get on.

thanks this is good information. I have 2 box mods I am playing with, the wesmic p80 and the wesmic rx200. I updated both to the latest factory firmware. today I was able to load artic fox software on the p80, I am going to keep the rx200 on factory firmware for now, I like play around with these things its fun to figure out. I am trying to find a good profile to download into the p80, anyone know where to get this file? most links no longer exist.

david8613,

Bumping Spheda

What do you guys think of quartz rods with SS coils wrapped around them, then terp pearls completely filling up the coil chamber (from build deck to bud protective screen inside SS body tube), you'd probably need like 4 heatsinks in series with each other between your mod and Stempod, heat up would be atrocious, but it'd basically be a DIY G43.

Bumping Spheda,
Reactions: Urbanistic

Hippie

It'd be slow to heat up but should stay that way for a while.

A 510 extension lead should solve the heat transfer issues
I'm a little surprised nobody make one to be honest
I made my own to use with the StemPod and Splinter, which basically turns them into an on demand G43
Maybe something Dan could make to add to the Modpod collection

I've also made something similar to what you're describing with an 18mm glass 3 way claisen adapter like this https://ebay.us/mIosUU with dual 5ohm Kanthal coils so the resistance reads about 2.5ohms.
It works by battery power but you don't get many goes with a dual battery mod so I usually use a power supply and step down converter (the same way I generally use the G43)

Bumping Spheda

It'd be slow to heat up but should stay that way for a while.

A 510 extension lead should solve the heat transfer issues
I'm a little surprised nobody make one to be honest
I made my own to use with the StemPod and Splinter, which basically turns them into an on demand G43
Maybe something Dan could make to add to the Modpod collection

I've also made something similar to what you're describing with an 18mm glass 3 way claisen adapter like this https://ebay.us/mIosUU with dual 5ohm Kanthal coils so the resistance reads about 2.5ohms.
It works by battery power but you don't get many goes with a dual battery mod so I usually use a power supply and step down converter (the same way I generally use the G43)
You have pics or links to a DIY thread? (Sorry for derail, guys, hope this is interesting, lol).

Bumping Spheda,
Reactions: Urbanistic

Hippie

Not yet :)
It's a bit ugly at the moment with big chunks of cork stuffed in the side arm
And altho I'm quite happy with the performance from the 2 feet of 28g Kanthal in there I want to try a few of the thicker wires I've been using with the StemPod

To get us back on track .... can anyone recommend a StemPod build for low wattage cruising? :D
(so I can try the StemPod with the same PSU, step down converter and 510 extension lead)

david8613

What do you guys think of quartz rods with SS coils wrapped around them, then terp pearls completely filling up the coil chamber (from build deck to bud protective screen inside SS body tube), you'd probably need like 4 heatsinks in series with each other between your mod and Stempod, heat up would be atrocious, but it'd basically be a DIY G43.

What exactly would this do? Quicker cool down between hits? Sounds interesting.

david8613,
Top Bottom