StemPod by MPL

almost there

My coils are working fine but the resistance has oddly gone up from .135 when I first got them to .157 when I put it on at room temp now. This is odd because I’ve had it locked in at .135 in TC and haven’t gone too high. Does this mean my coils are spent and I need new ones? I have my resistance locked so when I fire the mod it goes back down to .135 but I think the raised resistance means the coils are getting closer to the end of they’re life? I’ve used mine daily but usually for 1-2 bowls a day since I got it. I would be pretty disappointed if this is going to be how often I need to replace coils with this vape. I haven’t even gotten 2 weeks of good use yet. But maybe I’m wrong about my resistance changing. My coils seem to be fine other than that and the stempod is still working well for me.
I had the same experience with my splinter before it died. Resting coil value was .37 but 3 weeks later it was .55 and glowing at wattages that was normal before. At some point the mod will say check atomizer or no atomizer

almost there,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Summer

Long Island, NY
I thought Dan said in one of his feeds that if the coils (assumably, these notched coils) are used heavily, then the coils may need to be replaced every week or so.

you should avoid coil glowing red hot,it creates both fumes and nano particles.

Pretty sure Dan said in his last stream that the SS is safe up to 1700 degrees. And Nickel & Kanthal also have high heat tolerances. It's just ti that you have to be careful with as it has low heat tolerance.

*Please correct me if anyone saw these feeds & I'm wrong.

@HerbieVonVapster, can't see how shipping can be less than $4 - 5 with packaging, label & postage with tracking.

What's about a short summary, my dear?

Hogni, " ... I love you more than my luggage," :cool: (Olympia Dukas in Steel Magnolias) but can't wrap my head around doing it right now.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@Summer Imo if coil is crumbled it went over 1700F for sure,also those crumbs might eventually end in ones airpath.
metal-color-temp-chart-png.100306

ray_b

What gauge would you recommend for the stempod?
I'm also wondering what range of gauge we should be considering. I'm looking at a spool of 26 ga twisted wire. The type of wire isn't specified, should we be looking for SS?

Is there a target resistance we should be looking for? My SP with original coils reads 0.12 ohms. I'm looking at a CoilArt pre-build 0.36 ohm twisted wire coil. If the SP has the coils wired parallel, dual coils would be 0.18 ohms. Close enough?

TastyTicTac

I thought Dan said in one of his feeds that if the coils (assumably, these notched coils) are used heavily, then the coils may need to be replaced every week or so.

Pretty sure Dan said in his last stream that the SS is safe up to 1700 degrees. And Nickel & Kanthal also have high heat tolerances. It's just ti that you have to be careful with as it has low heat tolerance.
Replacement every week? That seems really often for a product like this.. if people report back getting similar/better results with different coils I’ll likely order those instead.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!

See, this is the kind of information that needs to be posted in a more accessible location, IMO. Not a stream that's only viewable for a short time. It's the kind of thing that may or may not influence the decision-making process for people like myself.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Sorry to be a killjoy guys,but this coil crumbling is not cool..Probably happens due user error and cause that SS foil of the notch coils is really thin.. You should avoid that at all costs,probably using fatter coils is better. Has anyone tried using juggernaut coils or something pre-build like that ,it should be weaved out of thick wires.
twisted2_400x500_600x.jpg
3-coil-vape-600x600.jpg

Not really the right thread - but i always thought the rings in a coil could not touch - guess i was wrong?

I guess a big spoil of coil wire is not that expensive. If you had to make coils regularly would it really be that bad? Never made one so i dont really know. Buying the official ones everytime would suck, but the idea behind this thing is that u can use any coil.

MVT uses a coil - which hardly ever needs replacing. Why is this differnt?

Oogendoogan

@HerbieVonVapster, can't see how shipping can be less than $4 - 5 with packaging, label & postage with tracking.

Hogni, " ... I love you more than my luggage," :cool: (Olympia Dukas in Steel Magnolias) but can't wrap my head around doing it right now.
Thank you for the reply. I don’t mind replacing coils. But once a week sounds like too much maintenance for me. I guess I’m gonna need to find some different coils. Great thing is I have no clue how to build or install coils of any kind lol. Hopefully I can learn. Dan has been great with helping me so far, but I don’t think the notch coils are supposed to only last a week.. wouldn’t extras have to be included if that were the case? @supershredderdan could you chime in here please? I’m happy to switch coils and replace but once a week is too often for me. I also need some help with learning how to swap coils. If these notch coils are only going to last me one week do you have a reccomendation for different coils that will last longer? Thanks man. I love the stempod and the great thing about the product is that this is all easily fixable. I mean this really isn’t a big issue because I planned on changing coils for the stempod eventually anyways. Guess I might have to do it sooner than expected but that’s ok. I just wanna get mine dialed in for a 3 week trip I have coming up at the end of August. Preferably I would want to have coils that would last for that whole trip and then some. Any info is appreciated. Hope everyone is having a great day.

Cheers.

Summer

Long Island, NY
These notched coils are thin. And recently, don't recall which vape, a member, who just received his vape like 2 days earlier, metered 400 hits. So usage is the main factor along with temps used &, I assume, &/or the length of time the heater is engaged.

In googling e-cig coil replacement:

"Most vapers need to change a personal vaporizer coil somewhere between every 1 to 4 weeks of usage. A general estimate would be 2 weeks, but you should always monitor the taste of your vapor to look for signs that the coil needs replacement. What really matters is how often you vape—not how many days or weeks have passed. Puff all day long, every day, and you might need to change the vape coil more often than weekly."

Last edited:

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
My coils are working fine but the resistance has oddly gone up from .135 when I first got them to .157 when I put it on at room temp now. This is odd because I’ve had it locked in at .135 in TC and haven’t gone too high. Does this mean my coils are spent and I need new ones? I have my resistance locked so when I fire the mod it goes back down to .135 but I think the raised resistance means the coils are getting closer to the end of they’re life? I’ve used mine daily but usually for 1-2 bowls a day since I got it. I would be pretty disappointed if this is going to be how often I need to replace coils with this vape. I haven’t even gotten 2 weeks of good use yet. But maybe I’m wrong about my resistance changing. My coils seem to be fine other than that and the stempod is still working well for me.
try tightening the leads, if that doesnt take your resistance back down then increase the TCR to compensate, the coils rise in resistance as they age, but you can take them to the absolute breaking point before needing replacements ime

to clarify, I never said they should be replaced every week, our estimates put the coils at 4 to 6 weeks of heavy use, but I thought people would get longer life out of the coils than that.

Last edited:

Oogendoogan

try tightening the leads, if that doesnt take your resistance back down then increase the TCR to compensate, the coils rise in resistance as they age, but you can take them to the absolute breaking point before needing replacements ime

to clarify, I never said they should be replaced every week, our estimates put the coils at 4 to 6 weeks of heavy use, but I thought people would get longer life out of the coils than that.
Ok cool thanks man. I might shoot ya a pm to get sorted because I’m so uneducated in this subject but I’m learning. I don’t mind replacing every month or so. And to be fair it seems like my coils are still working well. So let me try tightening the leads and I’ll get back to you. When you say increase my TCR to compensate how much should I increased it by? Maybe from 285 to 290? Or should I go up by one digit at a time? Thanks for the advice and help as always man.

Edit: Just saw your post @withoutbliss i will forsure look into that! Thank you!

withoutbliss

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I'm not too familiar with dry herb vaping with coils @ray_b (only familiar with coils from my ejuice vaping days). I'd imagine with a TC (temp control) mod, you could run any sub ohm coils and have at least somewhat successful results with dry herb vaping. Without a TC mod, there will be a bit more trial and error.

It seems overwhelming at first with all the different sizes/wraps there are. Once you start getting the hang of it, building coils becomes more of an art that you appreciate rather than a chore you despise. Plus you'll be saving tons of money building your own coils when you buy spools of wire.

Last edited:

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Just did a stream addressing the whole coil issue and testing an alt coil build with really good results, coils went out to all who had issues that I'm aware, pm a pic of your busted coils and somefeedback and we will get you sorted.

If we shift in coil design we will send sets to everyone who have their pods so far, thanks for all your feedback and detailed posts everyone!

P.S. for those who don't like using instagram, what are other platforms where I can easily broadcast live updates temporarily? We would like to expand our reach as effectively as possible and make sure everyone can keep up to date with us and interact with us live, thanks!

HerbieVonVapster

See, this is the kind of information that needs to be posted in a more accessible location, IMO. Not a stream that's only viewable for a short time. It's the kind of thing that may or may not influence the decision-making process for people like myself.

These notched coils are thin. And recently, don't recall which vape, a member, who just received his vape like 2 days earlier, metered 400 hits. So usage is the main factor along with temps used &, I assume, &/or the length of time the heater is engaged.

In googling e-cig coil replacement:

"Most vapers need to change a personal vaporizer coil somewhere between every 1 to 4 weeks of usage. A general estimate would be 2 weeks, but you should always monitor the taste of your vapor to look for signs that the coil needs replacement. What really matters is how often you vape—not how many days or weeks have passed. Puff all day long, every day, and you might need to change the vape coil more often than weekly."

My elevape coil has hundreds of hours on the original coil. With the splinter iheat you don't need replace coils. Guess I thought the stemped would be same. Just with option to change coil.

Don't remember reading anything about weekly coil changes.

Toss it in a envelope @49 cents.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
P.S. for those who don't like using instagram, what are other platforms where I can easily broadcast live updates temporarily? We would like to expand our reach as effectively as possible and make sure everyone can keep up to date with us and interact with us live, thanks!

Well, I do think it's great (and important for a variety of reasons) for companies to have a good social presence. But, it's difficult to catch live or temporary feeds when I'm working all day and taking care of other responsibilities at night. I was able to tune into a couple live streams (before deleting my account) but usually not for more than about 15 minutes and they were few and far between. So, what would be most useful to me is to have a place to read the key points in a condensed format. Something like a blog-type post or news feed on your website, but FC or reddit are good too because they're also easily searchable... well, mostly.

All that aside, Twitch is becoming more popular for cannabis related things too.

withoutbliss

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
It really doesn't hurt to post on as many social networking sites as possible. The easiest way to keep up to date on news about a certain product/topic is reddit IMO.

withoutbliss,

Chill_Break

Is it possible to add a blog section to the MOD pod labs website? You could add updates, answer questions and maybe upload videos and be accessible in a single place.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Yep, totally agree. Main thing is, that all important infos are posted in sum in one info board. Best place would be your site. It's an imposition for customers to collect important infos out of several boards or even to watch a livestream half an hour just to search for 1 or 2 important infos.

So there are 3 ways to take them to your site IMO

1. incorparate those points which are worth in your description of items, the less ones to
2. FAQ and perfect CS would be a
3. POI section for points/new infos by date, a kind of history of info changes for the first orientation what have changed in between since my last reading.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Tutorial vids are very helpful und important and therefore necessary but I dont need to watch a longtime vid/livestream with much blabla just to find - perhaps - one or two short worthful infos?

Top Bottom