Starting vaping for pain and PTSD

Indigo

Back again! Hope you're all well.

I'm glad I described how I make the infused oil, because I kept up with that using ABV. No help for me, but my partner takes the cubes for anxiety attacks. We're not sure whether it's really helping or placebo. I got fairly practised at doing repeated heating and cooling cycles, wrapping the little ceramic dish and lid with lots of layers of foil, putting it into mini ice cube trays giving 1ml cubes, and so forth.

I now have a gram of actual weed to play with, picture hopefully attached if you go to the link. She says it's high THC. Again, it's the "what you can get" strain. I spent a while trying to hunt down the medical cannabis community, nothing useful came of it, and I didn't find CBD oil did anything for me either, by the way. I may still have some CBD oil around somewhere.

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--UvRqzu2BXNuie5FO9N6Hz8G7avPtJq/view?usp=drivesdk

This will be primarily for my partner this time. I will try some, but I keep getting Restless Leg Syndrome flares from weed, and after asking in a RLS forum, this turns out to be common, so I will avoid evening use to begin with.

He has PTSD too, isn't doing great at the moment (job situation plus he's my only carer by now), and is on warfarin (for life) and sertraline (still getting the dose right). Although we both get migraines, which it might be worth trying for. Mine are worse than they used to be, although my fibro pain isn't as bad since I gave up on tramadol altogether a month or so ago.

How should I approach this? Grind, decarb, cook into coconut oil and lecithin, divide into cubes? My previous attempts at straining lost a ridiculous amount of oil into the muslin, so before I splash out on an Aeropress, I was thinking of trying it unstrained first. Possibly mixed up with chocolate for my partner, who finds that tastier, whereas I think it's minging and would rather just neck down a cube as fast as I can.

I didn't need to grind the ABV but obviously will need to grind the weed, and may as well see if I can get the ABV a bit finer while I'm at it. Any advice on what grinder to buy (UK, Amazon)?

Decarbing, anything in particular I should know apart from wrapping the ceramic dish really well in foil? 100C for an hour, was it? It's humid here.

1g isn't much, I know. Should I pad it out with some more ABV, which I still have half a jar of in the cupboard?

What sort of strength should I go for, considering that it ends up in 1ml cubes? Enough to have the herb nicely soaked and make a thick sludge?

Should I still do repeated heating/cooling cycles? If my partner is using it for anxiety, he wants to be functional rather than asleep, but I think he'd take sleepy over feeling utterly shit all day by now. If I try it, I'll do so earlyish in the day to avoid a RLS flare, and would quite like to manage more napping, as I'm waking up earlier these days. Napping is OK, being dozy for the afternoon is OK, falling over on trips to the loo isn't, but I will experiment cautiously and see how things affect me.

It is looking like I have Sjogren's Syndrome, by the way. Autoimmune disorder, lots of features but the basic one is dry everything. No wonder I kept on coughing when I tried vaping!

Last edited:
Indigo,
Reactions: grokit

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Hot vapor bothers my throat too, so for me the answer is a longer vapor path. Glass is an easy way to do it, but a silicone tubing would work, too.

Diggy Smalls,

Indigo

Thanks, but even without the cough, I never got anywhere with vaping, so I'm looking at making an oil now.

Indigo,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
If the weed you're using makes you sleepy, it sounds like you're using an indica strain. Next time you buy, look for a sativa. A sativa should give you a good high effect without that tranquilised, sleepy feeling.

Ibn Vapin,

Indigo

No, I think there's a misunderstanding. It's not making me sleepy, and I'd be really astonished if it were an indica. You don't get the choice of strains here!

Also I am not trying to get high. That's not a good effect for me, that's something I need to miminise. This is the forum for medical use.

Indigo,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
I gathered that you didn't want to get lit, I read the thread :) what I'm saying is that a sativa won't strap you to the couch like an indica might. The high is a bit different too. If you're wanting to minimize the high part, look for low thc versions.

https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-products/10-best-cbd-cannabis-strains-according-to-leafly-users

That should maybe give you some ideas of what might help a bit more. I see you say you don't get a choice of strain, but it'll be some info you can file away for a rare time you do.

I dunno what the regulations and laws are where you're from, but maybe some cbd oil or wax would be good to combine with it to minimize the high-effects.

Indigo

I think we're quite a number of years away from legalisation, sadly. There is absolutely no way to get a guaranteed strain here, I have asked around a lot. There are medical cannabis communities, but they are chock full of woo, people claiming they can personally cure cancer and worse (the woman telling people to drink bleach was a lot point). So I am steering well clear of them. Everyone says I'm not going to get an indica in the UK, it's all sativas.

I do have some CBD oil around somewhere. It never did a thing for me, but I was wondering about combining it with the weed. Also I am trying to figure out how strong to brew it, how much coconut oil to use with 1g weed. Supposedly this is fairly high in THC, so more dilution rather than less.

I tried three ABV cubes yesterday in the vain hope that it would help the migraine. Possibly it made me even more fuzzy headed, possibly that was the migraine all on its own. It's rather hard to tell, as my migraines have changed over the last 18 months. I certainly didn't feel any better!

Indigo,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Yeah drinking bleach is usually a pretty shitty idea, lol. You could maybe get some cbd wax, put in some green, some wax, some more green atop it. I've done it in my vicod before. The taste is different but not unpleasant.

Ibn Vapin,

Indigo

I happen to think it all tastes manky anyway, so I am never going to get something I'll actually enjoy eating. If I get into straining the results, my partner would enjoy them mixed up with chocolate, but that'll just be for him.

What's vicod?

The CBD I have around is an oil, not a wax. I can't actually remember what you do with a wax, there is so much to all of this!

Indigo,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
The Vicod is a vaporizer, mine is the Vicod 5G 2nd Generation, from Atmos. Waxes you'd normally vape, though I'm sure there are other ways to consume them. An oil I think would be for under-the-tongue applications.

Ibn Vapin,

little maggie

Do they have edibles at all where you live? I would think a mild edible, mostly CBD, would be the easiest to use for pain. Can they be shipped to you? Gummies or chocolate bars taste pretty good. If not you can make a firecracker which is simple and tastes ok.

little maggie,

Indigo

No, it's illegal here. Firecrackers aren't what I'm looking for, I understand you waste a lot that way. I'm looking for advice on proportions and such for making an infused oil. I decarbed it last night, and also need to work out how to grind it more finely, because the grinder left it in relatively big bits.

Indigo,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
No, it's illegal here. Firecrackers aren't what I'm looking for, I understand you waste a lot that way. I'm looking for advice on proportions and such for making an infused oil. I decarbed it last night, and also need to work out how to grind it more finely, because the grinder left it in relatively big bits.

One trick you can do if the top of your grinder stays on good, is to turn it upside-down so that the material stays in the teeth and gets ground up even more. I had a grinder with a top that screwed on and you turned a crank arm to grind your herb, and I'd do it with that when I wanted to finely grind it for whatever reason.

Looked something like this:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/be/ec/5bbeec02f50e354e662ddfd9d6951768.jpg

Ibn Vapin,

Indigo

Thanks. Can I grind it again now it's been decarbed? Should I use the grinder, or perhaps a pestle and mortar? We tried the pestle and mortar last night before decarbing, but it just tried to stick it into clumps. I don't want it all ending up on the grinder or pestle and mortar, though. Right now I'm trying to get back to sleep, but the plan is to do the first heating cycle this morning.

Indigo,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Thanks. Can I grind it again now it's been decarbed? Should I use the grinder, or perhaps a pestle and mortar? We tried the pestle and mortar last night before decarbing, but it just tried to stick it into clumps. I don't want it all ending up on the grinder or pestle and mortar, though. Right now I'm trying to get back to sleep, but the plan is to do the first heating cycle this morning.

I'll tell you honestly, I don't know much about mortar and pestle style grinding. That might be something you could google and find out more about, seems like something that'd be a legit niche type deal. I would definitely try the grinder first, but like I said, I'd really recommend only doing it with one whose top secures down good or has a strong magnet in it. Dropping the top and watching all that weed hit the floor would ruin me for a good week or two I think :nope:

Ibn Vapin,

Indigo

It does sound tricky.

Alternatively I could try to strain it in a way which is manageable and doesn't lose half the oil. Garlic press and a piece of muslin which has been wetted down with oil? Last time I tried straining, I wrapped it up in bits of muslin and squeezed. I didn't know about wetting the muslin first and lost at least half the oil that way. I haven't tried it with wetting thr muslin, though I suppose I could test that on some ABV cubes I've already made.

Indigo,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
A stainless steel strain wouldn't absorb any of your oil. I imagine you could buy something like that online, then just get a funnel at your local hardware store and then use the stainless screen to line the funnel's mouth. Put the end into your collection tool(a jar?), and then pour into the funnel. Might take a while and stuff, but seems like it'd be a lot more effective that way. Re-usable, too.

It'd be something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/50-Micron-Stainless-Particulate-Aquariums/dp/B017QFHNT2

I don't know if 50 micron is very fine or very rough, but I'm sure a little research would guide you in the right direction.

Ibn Vapin,

Indigo

Hmm, there's no way of squeezing it, though, and those are pricey over here. Some people use coffee presses, but I don't want that smelling of weed. Do you think a garlic press wouldn't work? It gets mentioned here. Alternatively we'd happily leave the weed in if it were finer.

Indigo,

Indigo

He managed to get it bit finer with the grinder. It is now in the oven with 40ml coconut oil and 1/2 tsp lecithin, and there is date and pecan bread baking (though I'm kicking myself for not making it fig and pecan bread, I meant to try that). Friends will be round in an hour for board games, and hopefully won't notice any smell though if they do, I doubt they'll be bothered.

I am now trying to figure out how long to bake it for. 5 hours total, plus 2h in the freezer?

Indigo,

Indigo

Bugger, I think I miscalculated and this is going to be incredibly weak. Ah, well, easier to fine tune the dosing, I suppose.

If I still have some CBD oil around, is it worth slinging some of that in when it gets turned into cubes?

Indigo,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Not too sure, honestly, Indigo. May want to post or ask in the Cooking thread about something like that. No impact, no idea, here!

Ibn Vapin,
Top Bottom